ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue VB at Kansas

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue got pummeled in the first set losing it 17-25 but it was worse than that. At one point I think it was Kansas 9-2. And Purdue never came close to holding the lead. We looked pretty out of it and I was preparing for the same in the second. But we took the lead mid-way in the second set and won pretty easily 25-19 with superior blocking (4-1) and much better passing. Chicoine is leading in kills.

We will see what sets 3 & 4 bring. And no, I did not pay for ESPN+ trial because once you sign up for a trial you have to give them your first born to cancel it.

Last edited:
Lost 3rd set bigtime 16-25. We have no consistent offense. Anderson replaced Polter half way thru the set. Starting 4th set with freshman dominant lineup like we did in the 4th set against Layola of Chicago on Sunday. Kansas is hitting 0.312 for the match and 0.481 in the 3rd set compared to 0.214 in the match for Purdue.

Boilers win 5th set 17-15.. Boilers had 3 match points that were won but challenged with Kansas winning both of the first two but the game was won 17-15 when the 3rd Kansas challenge was denied.

Tremendous comeback from a miserable 1st and 3rd set. Purdue won with 3 true freshmen and one redshirt frosh along with a sophomore on the floor.

I wasn't able to watch the match live, but did see a condensed version of highlights early this morning. Regarding the two overturned match points in the 5th set, I'll hazard a guess that Eva's shot on the 1st match point was deemed out rather than in, but what was the rationale for overturning Chloe's shot on the 2nd match point? Clearly the ball hit a KU player before landing in bounds. And it appears from the angle I saw that Chloe took off from behind the line separating front/back court. Anyone know the reason given for overturning the 2nd match point?

I wasn't able to watch the match live, but did see a condensed version of highlights early this morning. Regarding the two overturned match points in the 5th set, I'll hazard a guess that Eva's shot on the 1st match point was deemed out rather than in, but what was the rationale for overturning Chloe's shot on the 2nd match point? Clearly the ball hit a KU player before landing in bounds. And it appears from the angle I saw that Chloe took off from behind the line separating front/back court. Anyone know the reason given for overturning the 2nd match point?
As I understood from the radio announcer, it was a net violation. The announcer said he thought it was justified. But as Coach Shondell says, if you look hard enough you could find a net violaiton on almost every volleyball play in a game.

And for my two cents, the present announcer is a big downgrade from the last couple of years with Kyle Shondell. When listening without video, it is hard to tell what is going on, the score does not get mentioned very frequently, and he uses too many coaching terms (he said he is/was one) that most of us do not understand. I am happy Kyle got the HC position at Butler but I miss him.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Thanks for the explanation Doc, and for posting the video for others to enjoy. This is a really fun team to watch, and they are going to improve greatly throughout the year as they get healthy and the freshman gain experience.

Another unusual thing about last night’s game was that both teams, at different points, got a yellow card. I have never seen both teams warned like that before in a WVB game. Purdue's was supposedly due to the Purdue's bench/coaches mouthing off after a couple of bad calls. Not sure what Kansas got theirs for. It got heated between the two teams for awhile.

And, Purdue had TWO penalties for playing out of rotation. I have never seen a Purdue team make that error twice in one match before. I beleive both involved Chicoine who otherwise had such a great game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT