ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern @ Purdue WVB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue wins first set fairly easily 25-17. Colvin has 4 kills and 3 blks. Hudson doing well. Chicoine having a quiet match so far.

Last edited:
Purdue dominates 2nd set 25-15. Coach Dave is getting a chance to put in some of the infrequently used lower classmen and freshmen including Brielle Warren for her first (??) kill.

At the end of the set I think 5 freshmen were playing.

Northwestern only hitting o.67 for the match. Maddy Chinn has 2 kills with one error.

Northwestern rallies to come back to win the 3rd set in extra points 27-25. They led most of the last part of the match until Purdue tied it up but in the end could not hold them off. Purdue, to me, looks a little lethargic.

NW would be nowhere without Julia SanGiacamo who has 16 kills. We seem to be unable to stop her.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Going to 5th set. Purdue looked like an bunch of Div 2 players as we lost 11-25 and were never in it. Eva and Chloe are both severely off their game in the 4th. Wow, never imagined it would come to facing a reverse sweep.

Very little emotion from our women.

Last edited:
And Northwestern wins on a challenge that went their way, 15-13 after Purdue had been ahead 11-8 in the 5th set.

Man, that is aggravating. We may fall out of the Top 25 tomorrow.

And Northwestern wins on a challenge that went their way, 15-13 after Purdue had been ahead 11-8 in the 5th set.

Man, that is aggravating. We may fall out of the Top 25 tomorrow.

Reactions: DocRon
Listened on WSHY - man what an unexpected outcome after the stellar play vs Neb. Wonder if they were somewhat emotionally drained after the effort needed to take Neb to 5 sets.
Regardless, sure didn’t see this coming. Will be interested to hear Coach Shondell’s on this if he does a Monday press conference.
Hard to fathom they are under .500 at Holloway. Wow
Terrible loss, this and Loyola at home are head scratchers. I realize they are young but way too much talent to give away matches like this, especially at home.

Sounds like they took their foot off the gas after two sets and couldn't get their heads back into the game after that.

Reactions: DocRon
Listened on WSHY - man what an unexpected outcome after the stellar play vs Neb. Wonder if they were somewhat emotionally drained after the effort needed to take Neb to 5 sets.
Regardless, sure didn’t see this coming. Will be interested to hear Coach Shondell’s on this if he does a Monday press conference.
Hard to fathom they are under .500 at Holloway. Wow
I am glad you can listen. I tried, once again, to listen to WISH for the game (instead of the students on BIG+) but the WISH announcers are just so terrible compared to last year. The female commentator doesn’t add anything and hems and haws so much that half the time we miss the play-by-play of the next point. And the play-by-play guy announces the score like once every 5 mins. Good grief… you are on RADIO (I assume most people listening are not looking at it on BTN+). They are awful.

Purdue’s commentators are actually pretty good IMHO. I am just listening to the student commentators on BIG+ from now on, even when we are on the road and they are mainly rooting for the other team.

Last edited:
I am glad you can listen. I tried, once again, to listen to WISH for the game (instead of the students on BIG+ but the WISH announcers are just so terrible compared to last year. The female commentator doesn’t add anything and hems and haws so much that half the time we miss the play-by-play of the next point. And the play-by-play guy announces the score like once every 5 mins. Good grief… you are on RADIO (I assume most people listening are not looking at it on BTN+. They are awful.

Purdue’s commentators are actually pretty good IMHO. I am just listening to the student commentators on BIG+ from now on, even when we are on the road and they are mainly rooting for the other team.
Just listened to Dave’s Monday presser - hope everything is ok with brother John. Seems so sudden and unexpected, especially after last week’s Dig City podcast where the long tenure of the Asst Coaches was discussed/marveled at, etc and there was NO inkling anything was afoot. Bizarre

Reactions: Boilermb and DocRon
Yeah Doc, agree about the female “color” sidekick yesterday - I don’t think she’s on every time but she didnt add much at all to the broadcast. Vanilla, generic comments. Nothing of substance.
I think the PBP guy was better with score updates yesterday than previously, but you’re right, he gets deep into the action and forgets sometimes.
I haven’t subscribed to BTN+ this season - yet - but may have to since there is Zero audio for away games.
Just listened to Dave’s Monday presser - hope everything is ok with brother John. Seems so sudden and unexpected, especially after last week’s Dig City podcast where the long tenure of the Asst Coaches was discussed/marveled at, etc and there was NO inkling anything was afoot. BizarreDS is a first class guy. Only time
Yeah Doc, agree about the female “color” sidekick yesterday - I don’t think she’s on every time but she didnt add much at all to the broadcast. Vanilla, generic comments. Nothing of substance.
I think the PBP guy was better with score updates yesterday than previously, but you’re right, he gets deep into the action and forgets sometimes.
I haven’t subscribed to BTN+ this season - yet - but may have to since there is Zero audio for away games.
Just listened to Dave’s Monday presser - hope everything is ok with brother John. Seems so sudden and unexpected, especially after last week’s Dig City podcast where the long tenure of the Asst Coaches was discussed/marveled at, etc and there was NO inkling anything was afoot. Bizarre
DS a first class guy. I can not believe it’s not serious. I just can’t imagine John leaving in the middle of the season for anything less than something very, very concerning. The only time I ever heard DS say something slightly negative was when Taylor Trammel left the program and even then he never referred to her by name just implied. I do think John’s departure played a part in the weekend But volleyball is an odd game and any team can win regardless of ranking or talent on a given night. I can only imagine how hard this is on DS- not only has he lost he right hand man but that is his baby brother who has worked with him everyday for over twenty years.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Agree about Coach John, either medical or marital problems would be my guess, hopefully he or a family member isn’t sick, fingers are crossed!

Reactions: Boilers1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT