ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WVB vs Marquette

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue wins the first set against Marquette 25-21. Set was won after Marquette overcame 3 or 4 set points - one due to a challenge won by Marquette. Purdue hitting 0.205 vs Marquette’s 0.146. Hudson has 6 kills and Chicoine 5. Purdue 5 blocks vs 4 for Marquette

Purdue wins tense 2nd set 25-23. Marquette went on a multi-point run (7?) in the middle of the match which put us 3 pts behind but the Boilers clawed back in it. After being tied 23-23 Purdue got the next two pts from Colvin and Chicoine.

Hudson has 12 pts, Colvin 9 and just 6 for Chicoine. Hamilton on left side has 11 kills and has been hard for Purdue to stop. Purdue only has 4 blks compared to Marquette’s 5.

Both teams hitting > 0.250.

Marquette takes set 3 in extra points 26-24. Boilers were behind most of the set but fought back to a match point 24-23 but could not push it further as Marquette got 2 straight.

Their middle blocker Bray has become difficult to stop and Lizzie Carr has been brought in to play for Myers.

Marquette leads 2-1.

Last edited:
Purdue wins the match in extra points 24-26 in breath-taking fashion. Behind in the set by as much as 6 points they rallied and Schermerhorn served an ACE for the match point. Eva finished with 27 kills.

On to the Sweet Sixteen in Madison (likely.)

Congrats to the V ball team on the win.

Purdue wins the match in extra points 26-24 in breath-taking fashion. Behind in the set by as much as 6 points they rallied and Schermerhorn served an ACE for the match point. Eva finished with 27 kills.

On to the Sweet Sixteen in Madison (likely.)

Great win, Marquette was/is a tough team, on to the sweet 16!
This was a 5-set victory early in the season on a neutral court. Even though we were hosting, I expected a tough match. With the 2, 3, and 4th sets being determined by 2 points it was a very competitive match. Glad to have that win. Now on to take on Oregon.

Likely?? I thought the top seed in each region were guaranteed to host both the first and second weekends. So next weekend is WI vs PSU & Purdue vs Oregon.
At the time I wrote that I did not know if Wisconsin had won their match against Miami.

If Wisconsin had lost that game would the second weekend still be in Madison? I am unclear on that.

At the time I wrote that I did not know if Wisconsin had won their match against Miami.

If Wisconsin had lost that game would the second weekend still be in Madison? I am unclear on that.
No, it would be in Oregon. Let’s be honest though, #1 seeds in Volleyball usually never lose in the first two rounds, it has happened I believe with Penn State but it’s not likely. Purdue likely a small underdog vs Oregon, Wisconsin is the huge favorite here, especially if that 6-9 girl is playing and healthy.

Reactions: DocRon
Would love to see Volleyball do a college baseball format, first two rounds have teams host 4 team regions. Sweet 16 have 8 teams host best 2 of 3’s, have 8 teams advance to a finals, final 8 matches should be on neutral courts.

Rewatched portions of the match this morning. Really enjoyed the fortitude and will to win shown by the entire team, led by Eva, Maddie and Chloe. A welcome change from the choke job from our MBB team.
Amen to this! I really feel like the VB team is the most mentally tough of all of Purdue’s major sports teams. Wish they could bottle it and transfuse to the others. 😊😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT