ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue in play for 2017 5-star forward? (link)

Can we at least claim we were his 2nd choice?
I don't know how to link so if you want go to landof10.com or hammerandrails.

That's a good point. How can he possibly say we are in his top five if we have no scholly available? Sounds like the kid is hoping Biggie will announce soon, then Painter can offer, then he can append us to his list.

Then he will verbally commit to MSU. Then Biggie will talk him out of the worst mistake he could ever make. Then he will decommit from MSU. Then he will commit to Purdue.

Then the murders will start.
This is the clearest point in the whole thread.:D

Are one-and-dones really worth recruiting?

This is a valid question, one I've pondered many times. And you know what?

I'd say--especially for a school like Purdue--the answer is an emphatic yes. We see so many threads on here about grad transfers that could benefit Purdue. What are the majority of those but a one-year rental? Would we rather have a twenty-two year-old role player or an unseasoned but spectacularly-talented potential star?

Obviously, the situation depends on the player, but yes, we'd absolutely want a one-and-done, and here's another reason why: Unlike other programs (UK, Duke, etc.), Purdue is stocked with four-year players. That means the infrastructure and continuity will be there, which would be an optimal situation for a one-and-done to step into. Schools that specialize in one-and-dones are clearly the blue bloods, but there's a kind of volatility in that type of team-building that depends on perpetuating a cycle. Purdue wouldn't have to worry about that.

The right one-and-done could help us reach the Final Four.

(or sow seeds of resentment and discord, but we'll just ignore that possibility)

Going after this particular kid is a no brainer. We have nothing to lose by doing so. Even if we were a 1 year player it's worth it for what he can potentially provide to next years team. Like somebody said above me, we have a team full of 3 or 4 year players and adding a 1 and done will not hurt us and honestly could improve the perception of Purdue being the place to go if you are a big man and want to be the focal point of an offense. I would bet that is what McCoy is partially sold on at this point to even have interest. He probably won't come here and I think we are going to have a very good team next year but if he somehow were to come then we could be looking at something great.

That's a good point. How can he possibly say we are in his top five if we have no scholly available? Sounds like the kid is hoping Biggie will announce soon, then Painter can offer, then he can append us to his list.

Then he will verbally commit to MSU. Then Biggie will talk him out of the worst mistake he could ever make. Then he will decommit from MSU. Then he will commit to Purdue.

Then the murders will start.
Wasn't there talk of Sasha going to prep school for a year before Purdue?

Well, Biggie was originally thought to be a one-and-done and I'd take another one of him any day, any year...I recognize that many one-and-dones certainly don't have Biggie's work ethic .....But I think Painter would pick and choose the right match on that issue if we had some one interested.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
This is a valid question, one I've pondered many times. And you know what?

I'd say--especially for a school like Purdue--the answer is an emphatic yes. We see so many threads on here about grad transfers that could benefit Purdue. What are the majority of those but a one-year rental? Would we rather have a twenty-two year-old role player or an unseasoned but spectacularly-talented potential star?

Obviously, the situation depends on the player, but yes, we'd absolutely want a one-and-done, and here's another reason why: Unlike other programs (UK, Duke, etc.), Purdue is stocked with four-year players. That means the infrastructure and continuity will be there, which would be an optimal situation for a one-and-done to step into. Schools that specialize in one-and-dones are clearly the blue bloods, but there's a kind of volatility in that type of team-building that depends on perpetuating a cycle. Purdue wouldn't have to worry about that.

The right one-and-done could help us reach the Final Four.

(or sow seeds of resentment and discord, but we'll just ignore that possibility)

You are correct, this merits its own thread.

Yes for certain situations. I believe for schools that have an established roster that maybe need one piece to be a conference champion....yes they are needed/wanted just as a grad transfers we have had. But the important part is getting a player that buys into the team and the coach's plan and simply just fits the system.

Not a big fan of the KY deal of pooling a bunch of one and done players where every year you have a different roster and little with any kind of loyalty to the school. As there is a lot of enjoyment seeing players develop and improve from year to year to me as a fan. But if a KY or any blue blood added 2-3 O-N-D guys each year that is fine with me....still have another 10 guys that are there they have to blend with.

First, should we be recruiting "one and done" talent. Well, duh, of course. Second, do we have a chance. Again, duh, he said he's considering us so there absolutely is a chance. Is it slim...well..maybe...probably, but we have a shot. Better than no shot. Gotta be happy about that. You guys crack me up. All those answers are simple. Recruit these kids and maybe you get one, then another....and so on.

Reactions: Inspector100
Going after this particular kid is a no brainer. We have nothing to lose by doing so. Even if we were a 1 year player it's worth it for what he can potentially provide to next years team. Like somebody said above me, we have a team full of 3 or 4 year players and adding a 1 and done will not hurt us and honestly could improve the perception of Purdue being the place to go if you are a big man and want to be the focal point of an offense. I would bet that is what McCoy is partially sold on at this point to even have interest. He probably won't come here and I think we are going to have a very good team next year but if he somehow were to come then we could be looking at something great.
If you think we have nothing to lose than you don't understand recruiting. Not only is it a huge waste of time and resources, both of which are limited, but, it also gives the impression to a recruit we do have a shot at thinking he's not our preferred option. Other coaches will use that against Painter and Bobinski would be asking why he is wasting money. Once again we have maybe a .0005% chance of signing this kid as things stand right now.

If you think we have nothing to lose than you don't understand recruiting. Not only is it a huge waste of time and resources, both of which are limited, but, it also gives the impression to a recruit we do have a shot at thinking he's not our preferred option. Other coaches will use that against Painter and Bobinski would be asking why he is wasting money. Once again we have maybe a .0005% chance of signing this kid as things stand right now.

So going after a kid who fills a need and position Painter is still out there recruiting for who has only recently started saying he is considering Purdue is a waste of time, money and resources. Got it.

Reactions: pboiler18
Heck, just look @ what painter is doing..... went to AZ to recruit Ondigo. So I imagine that is realistic priority right now with Biggies scholarship.

Recruit the best talent, period. Yes, attitude and fit with who we have coming back matter.

I see no red flags with McCoy, only green ones. Kentucky, Duke, et al. do seem to do OK with one-and-dines.

Why not go for the best we can get?

Reactions: Boiler1313
The last one that came in a full circle for Purdue was none other than Biggie himself.
Now, this. Is this about someone coming in another full circle?
Or, is this to suggest Biggie may be coming back to have a concentric circle?

Oh, my..

We all know speculation like this is fruitless, but hey, it's fun, right? So...

What if someone Purdue once recruited might be interested in transferring to Purdue? Just another possibility.

Now what lol . Still think it's a moon shot. I think you have the old painter in mind not the one who grabbed up Swanigan

Like I said at the beginning of this thread this one has the writing on the wall. Purdue is definitely in this and if so big big congrats to coach .

The package presented is a good one

So going after a kid who fills a need and position Painter is still out there recruiting for who has only recently started saying he is considering Purdue is a waste of time, money and resources. Got it.
He had Purdue comments four months ago which is the predominant source. This isn't recent and Painter hasn't spent a lot of time recruiting him. So no this wasn't "just" mentioned.

Reactions: jadeezra
I finally let Heller crush my hopes and you guys have to go and post that tweet. Thanks a lot!

Heller is one of the best posters on here. Hard to take decipher this tweet for what it's worth but...I'm on record saying he's dead wrong here.

We shall see. We will know more tomorrow

Why do people post we will know more tomorrow? It's like they know of something that's going to happen tomorrow, when nothing is scheduled to happen!

Like I said at the beginning of this thread this one has the writing on the wall. Purdue is definitely in this and if so big big congrats to coach .

The package presented is a good one
So is this in reference to McCoy or someone else? Based on the tweet I couldn't tell if it was him or someone else.

That tweet sounds something to do with another MSU recruit may be
coming to Purdue's way.

This happened before about two years ago., if you recall.

It is a big if, if the first one decides to come back, on top of that.
That would be really a weird, don't you think?

Maybe we're turning a corner? All of this is great to talk about like it's pie in the sky, but what if..........and with regards to recruiting blue chippers or one and done kids. If you're seriously believing it's a waste of time, then you're basically admitting your regime is mediocre and you yourself don't believe they can become a highly successful program.

In a situation when your four other starters would likely all be juniors... absolutely. Would make them a title contender. Biggie was great but he was not an elite athlete or rim protector. McCoy is. Would make all the difference, especially adding the athleticism of Ewing, Wheeler, and Eastern. But, since it is a long shot, maybe it helps us land Ondigo and we get him for four years.

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT