ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Hoops Defensive Ratings...would love some input

Oct 30, 2023
I have a collegiate basketball game that I have dabbled in over the years and I am currently in the rewrite process. Part of that process is updating the card set for the most recently played Big Ten season.

Most of the cards are based on pure statistical output, but there is one set of ratings that I need some help with, and that is defensive value. I know there are a number of defensive metrics out there, but all include elements such as steals and blocked shots and those are already accounted for in the game. What I am looking for is how effective a player is at locking down and forcing opponents to take contested shots. I have my own opinions, but as a Badger fan, I simply don't watch your team play as much or with as critical an eye as you do. I also think there is some value in crowd-sourcing this to allow for a variety of perspectives.

Would anyone like to give a crack at ranking these players from best to worst in terms of their on the ball defensive value WITHOUT taking into account blocks, steals, or rebounding LAST YEAR?

Edey
Loyer
Smith
Gillis
Newman
Furst
Kaufmann-Renn
Jenkins
Morton
Waddell

(Note, they are just in order of minutes played at the moment.) Thanks so much for your input for those who choose to rank them.

Let's ask this. If I ranked them this way, would anyone object? Anyone I got egregiously wrong? I know Edey is the tough one in that he is a shot changer inside while he can be exploited on the perimeter, but I do think he alters a ton of shots on the interior to justify the ranking.

1. Morton
2. Edey
3. Newman
4. Furst
5. Smith
6. Gillis
7. Loyer
8. Jenkins
9. Kaufmann-Renn
10. Waddell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT