ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue held their own against AZ speed...

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I am curious as to why Purdue doesn't push the ball more and get some easy transition baskets? The press break is M U C H better this year and affords a number of opportunities to push the ball up the court and get into a 2-on-1 situation. Instead, we pull it out or slow it down. Not complaining as that usually yields positive points too. But with our depth, we should look to speed things up and force others to run with us.

All week, we heard over and over about the speed and athleticism of AZ and questioned if Purdue could handle it. I thought they did well and pushed the ball a few themselves. Okay if I am, but am I wrong thinking this?

I am curious as to why Purdue doesn't push the ball more and get some easy transition baskets? The press break is M U C H better this year and affords a number of opportunities to push the ball up the court and get into a 2-on-1 situation. Instead, we pull it out or slow it down. Not complaining as that usually yields positive points too. But with our depth, we should look to speed things up and force others to run with us.

All week, we heard over and over about the speed and athleticism of AZ and questioned if Purdue could handle it. I thought they did well and pushed the ball a few themselves. Okay if I am, but am I wrong thinking this?
I feel like Purdue has pushed the ball more this year than they have in a long, long time.

I feel like Purdue has pushed the ball more this year than they have in a long, long time.

Definitely on misses and live turnovers.....not so much on made FG's, FT's.....yet....(have to anonymously mail CMP some tapes from the '70s Celtics haha) also love them looking more for pushing it from pressure.

End of game was a perfect example.....Loyer inbounds to Smith, back to Loyer, down the left sideline, flip to Dr. Jones......and one! Next!

6580b9a470cd1109029557.gif

Last edited:
Yes, prime example of what I mean as an opportunity to push the ball. Every press should be broken and done so quickly and in a pushed manner.

Drives me nuts when I see Smith walking it up the court often going sideways more up the court. Surprises he doesn't get called for 10 seconds more often.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yes, prime example of what I mean as an opportunity to push the ball. Every press should be broken and done so quickly and in a pushed manner.

Drives me nuts when I see Smith walking it up the court often going sideways more up the court. Surprises he doesn't get called for 10 seconds more often.
Purdue’s average offensive possession length rank:

2020 - 314th
2021 - 295th
2022 - 206th
2023 - 335th
2024 - 185th

So Purdue is playing faster than they have in years and is midpack nationally. They are never going to be must faster than that as long as they have a 7‘4, 300 pound NPOY.

It just seems like you are barking up a tree that was justified last year but really isn’t so far this season.

2020 - 314th
2021 - 295th
2022 - 206th
2023 - 335th
2024 - 185th

So Purdue is playing faster than they have in years and is midpack nationally. They are never going to be must faster than that as long as they have a 7‘4, 300 pound NPOY.

It just seems like you are barking up a tree that was justified last year but really isn’t so far this season.
That’s crazy to see. I wonder how it’ll be during B1G play since it’s seems we have played teams that play quick.

Also, you don’t always gotta push it…so makes sense there’s some “walking it up”. I trust smith to know when to push the tempo and when to pull it back.

Definitely on misses and live turnovers.....not so much on made FG's, FT's.....yet....(have to anonymously mail CMP some tapes from the '70s Celtics haha) also love them looking more for pushing it from pressure.

End of game was a perfect example.....Loyer inbounds to Smith, back to Loyer, down the left sideline, flip to Dr. Jones......and one! Next!

6580b9a470cd1109029557.gif

Agree.

Not only has Purdue’s overall transition percentage gone up from 22% to 27.8% of possessions, but their effective field goal percentage in transition has gone up from 55.9% to 65.5%. Purdue is shooting 48.2% on transition threes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Thats exactly what a good press is designed to do, speed you up and force you to make bad passes! Braden does not get called for 10 seconds because he gets across in less than 10! Braden knows when to push and knows when to slow it down and get in to our sets. Braden bringing it up slowly can be a good thing for him, more of a chance to rest. Purdue is really lucky to have talented guard like Braden, relax Braden has got this!

Agree.

Not only has Purdue’s overall transition percentage gone up from 22% to 27.8% of possessions, but their effective field goal percentage in transition has gone up from 55.9% to 65.5%. Purdue is shooting 48.2% on transition threes.
...and one of those just prior to half by Fletcher against AZ was costly. You don't run for the sake of running, as you and many know, because you have a key component in Zach that is not as speedy as some and you need to use him. However, now having Lance on misses or turnovers Purdue will push it and probe the D.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy

2020 - 314th
2021 - 295th
2022 - 206th
2023 - 335th
2024 - 185th

We all know that having Lance with Braden that Purdue pushes it when it can, but I wonder what is the "seconds" differential between a ranking of offensive possession. Strictly rhetorical and not asking for any work to gather data for those years.

pretty simple though, they trapped him. When trapped you pass the ball. When 1 on 1, Braden is going to bring it up himself.

We pushed with mixed results...Morton got a layup blocked, heide misread a pass, loyer missed a 3 and layup, and Jones got a layup....on second thought, let's be very selective when we push the ball....

We pushed with mixed results...Morton got a layup blocked, heide misread a pass, loyer missed a 3 and layup, and Jones got a layup....on second thought, let's be very selective when we push the ball....
Doc, whatcha think so far about how the team looks? What areas do you think we need to improve on to get ready for March?

As to Morton....@ 6-5 him not dunking on the run out was imo Pathetic.

Misses are fine against most teams given our rebound advantage. But AZ minimized that being a great rebounding team themselves.

I would still say push it. Mixed results in one game is not big enough sample size to draw conclusions.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT