ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue being a 5 seed is bad enough...

but IU and Maryland also getting 5 seeds is a absolute joke. I don't like IU at all but the B1G regular season champion getting a 5 seed is a slap in the face. I've never rooted for IU in anything in my life but this year I want EVERY B1G team to shove it down the NCAA Comittee's throat.
+1 on this one. Can't believe IU's draw. As a five seed it was bad enough, but they have to play UK and UNC to reach the FF. Terrible slap in the face of the BIG.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Could not have said it better myself. Absolutely discgrace. Hell Purdue should have been a 4 seed at least.

I really don't see anyone beating Msu. I still hate them, but they have a very good team that can play a lot of different styles. Them on the 2 line behind both UVA and Oregon is the worst slight in my opinion. I knew when I saw Maryland at a 5 we were in trouble. Do you think the fact that Iowa beat Purdue and Msu twice, then collapsed hurt the conference? If those 4 games had been late February I wonder how different the landscape would be.

Reactions: rgarlitz and cjf04
This thread is spot on. I think Purdue getting a 5, IU a 5, Maryland a 5 total joke. Iowa was the only team that was right-seeded. Michigan getting in and being able to play awful Tulsa (who didn't deserve a bid at all, is a joke). But the overall slap in the face to the B1G is just unbelievable. MSU not getting a one is just as bad as the Purdue/IU/Maryland seed snubs.

Gee. How about the league go out and win games? If you deserve to make a Final4, then you'll beat these teams anyway. This is what happens when your league expands to the point the round-robin is abandoned and schedule has as much as anything to do with a title. Sitting here bitching that the selection committee didn't give someone a parting sea to the Final4 is silly IMO. Get out on the floor and beat a team and move on.

B1G was screwed with this seeding. I think Purdue perhaps got shafted the worst. The number 13 team in the country makes it to its tournament final losing by 4 points to the number 2 team in the country and we are a 5 seed? Unbelievable! But if you are the 24th ranked team in the country and make it to your tournament semi-final and lose by 4 to the number 12 team in the country, you get a 4 seed. The match-up with Iowa State is also BS too. Also, why do you put two teams that just played for their conference championship in the same region? Did any other conference get this disrespect? I haven't checked yet, but I doubt it.The Big Ten conference has been screwed by the committee like never before. The worst job by the selection committee ever!

Last edited:
but IU and Maryland also getting 5 seeds is a absolute joke. I don't like IU at all but the B1G regular season champion getting a 5 seed is a slap in the face. I've never rooted for IU in anything in my life but this year I want EVERY B1G team to shove it down the NCAA Comittee's throat.

It was a complete disrespect on the conf. I am no IU fan but to say the best team regular season record wise in this conference is a 5 seed is pure arrogance and pure collective hatred of big ten by the selectors. They absolutely rebuked the conference. Purdue got hosed and played in my opinion like a joke tonight with a choke that last minute. Tossing up a prayer 3 pointer like that when it wlda been so easy to get a foul inside with Hammons. I certainly hope after getting disrespected they come out ready for war instead of serving the other team's desires.

Could not have said it better myself. Absolutely discgrace. Hell Purdue should have been a 4 seed at least.
Purdue should have been no lower than a 4 going in to the BTT. Blow two teams out and play the number 2 team in the nation even and end up a 5. Tells me one of two things, they were either a 6 and worked their way up or were a 5 and the BTT meant absolutely nothing. I think it's the latter and shows the committee is just stacked with several incompetent bureaucrats.

The whole thing was absolutely ridiculous.

As pissed as I am about IU's loss, I figured coming in they really had not much to gain and a lot more to lose, seed-wise. Based on how things played out, that's exactly what happened.

MSU wins the tourney and doesn't move. How the hell does UVA get a #1 over MSU, having not won a reg season or tourney championship?

Purdue loses in the final and gets a 5.

How did their tourney success help them? Are you telling me Purdue was a 6 or 7 coming in? No way. I thought you guys were probably a 5, maybe a 4, and that the strong tourney showing probably solidified you as a 4...outside shot at a 3. But a 5? Completely asinine. The committee really screwed the BIG this year, so much so that I'd much rather see a full round-robin conf schedule and say the hell with the conf tourney.

Good luck to your Boilers next week and beyond. Hope the BIG goes on an unprecedented run.

I'm just now looking at brackets.. I keep refreshing the page to see the final real one?!

Nearly all big ten is seeded too low.
How does #2 msu go below #4 Virginia (who even lost in ACC), #7 unc, #8 Oregon?

Everyone in the big ten was seeded too low. however, we were gifted the best region by far and away....OFF to the final four we go. this is our year baby. We have the best defense in the nation since its creation, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone in the big ten was seeded too low. however, we were gifted the best region by far and away....OFF to the final four we go. this is our year baby. We have the best defense in the nation since its creation, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm saying. This board is currently riddled with folks too scared to set the bar high and admit that a Sweet16 is underachieving and NOT reaching that is a total bust. Some here, it seems, would rather prepare for a loss with excuses and have a fear of being held accountable for the outcome. How I perceive some mentality here: "Well, we're facing a tough team, and a tough seed, and a tough location and any team can lose...and it's no big deal..and mediocrity is acceptable here.....and Painter is still GOOD ENOUGH...if we get the early exit...so don't pick on him if we do!! cuz he's not shooting!...he's not defending!....he's not blah blah blah!" Screw that!! This team is too damn good for that constant flood of excuses. I've heard enough of the lame worn out tired story of halfassness is just fine. It's time he rise to the top and earn that paper he's stacking...and not let these kids down. These kids deserve to be lead to the Elite8 or beyond. It's time he earn that fat check he's cashing and give these kids a taste of the good life. Painter has got the talent....much like he did with the Baby boilers...if he drops the ball again, it's all on him. This is the year!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

That's what I'm saying. This board is currently riddled with folks too scared to set the bar high and admit that a Sweet16 is underachieving and NOT reaching that is a total bust. Some here, it seems, would rather prepare for a loss with excuses and have a fear of being held accountable for the outcome. How I perceive some mentality here: "Well, we're facing a tough team, and a tough seed, and a tough location and any team can lose...and it's no big deal..and mediocrity is acceptable here.....and Painter is still GOOD ENOUGH...if we get the early exit...so don't pick on him if we do!! cuz he's not shooting!...he's not defending!....he's not blah blah blah!" Screw that!! This team is too damn good for that constant flood of excuses. I've heard enough of the lame worn out tired story of halfassness is just fine. It's time he rise to the top and earn that paper he's stacking...and not let these kids down. These kids deserve to be lead to the Elite8 or beyond. It's time he earn that fat check he's cashing and give these kids a taste of the good life. Painter has got the talent....much like he did with the Baby boilers...if he drops the ball again, it's all on him. This is the year!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

I don't read this thread as "excuses." It is frustrating when your entire conference is seeded below everyone's [professionals, coaches, players, fans] expectations and that somehow, our conference was not "good enough" I totally agree that we have to play the hand we were dealt but I also understand that we need to speak up because, to me, this is a denigration of the BIG conference. I mean, like really? Didn't our conference just win this thing last year?

MSU, IU, PU all got under-seeded. UK also got the shaft. These pompous committee members act as if they actually know something about the game, yet their criteria seems to change yearly. One year it's who's playing well at end of season? One year it's who did they play and who did they beat? And they want the public to believe they have no pre-conceived agendas??? They went into that room knowing darn well, hoping to get IU vs UK in round 2, legit seeding be damned.

Iowa State and Cal as 4's? I've liked the Iowa State squads of the last couple years, but this year's team didn't come close to expectations. They lost 11 games! IU and PU should have had those 4's.

Finally, what was with all the PAC 12 and ACC love in seeds? Mr Delaney, any comments? Any public defense of your league getting screwed?

Reactions: BandofBoilers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT