ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Wisconsin: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Love these in season matchups where both teams are great. Either team can win. All about execution. Great practice for the post season.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Very worried about Edey getting into early foul trouble with all the Collins bitching - warranted or not. Hope i’m wrong
Same! But it’ll make the team better down the stretch if it happens. We will
Have to find a way to stay in the game / win. We saw a bit of that vs Illinois when he sat at the 8 min mark and on in the first and then same in the second half.

Important thing here is to continue to improve and play good basketball!! No hitting the wall or regressing. Our ascent to playing good ball for March starts now. Let’s gooooo 🚂 🚂 🚂

Don't let Klesmit get comfortable, force Storr into contested jump shots, let Hepburn play hero ball. If we can do that and run our offense effectively I like our chances.

Though this is easier said than done, Wisconsin is a solid team.

Boiler Up my friends!

Don't let Klesmit get comfortable, force Storr into contested jump shots, let Hepburn play hero ball. If we can do that and run our offense effectively I like our chances.

Though this is easier said than done, Wisconsin is a solid team.

Boiler Up my friends!
They are a very old, experienced and solid team , who have a bunch of players on the floor at all time that can score. Will be very interesting seeing who Matt puts on Storr, he will be a tough matchup. And Klesment has been on fire for last month.

They are a very old, experienced and solid team , who have a bunch of players on the floor at all time that can score. Will be very interesting seeing who Matt puts on Storr, he will be a tough matchup. And Klesment has been on fire for last month.
Good teams that are older typically don't beat themselves...course that has also been Wisconsin for many years.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
The key to this game, to me, is Klesmit. He can go off, or he can be useless. I assume Loyer will be on him for the most part with Jones on Storr. Klesmit moves very well in their offense and the key will be sticking with him. I expect a lot of Morton or Heide today.

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today it's the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (20-2; 9-2) visiting the Kohl Center in Madison to take on the #6-ranked Wisconsin Badgers (16-5; 8-2) in a battle at the top of the conference standings. Tip is scheduled for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on CBS.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Wisconsin - Steven Crowl, Tyler Wahl, AJ Storr, Max Klesmit, and Chucky Hepburn

Purdue is in first place in the conference standings (by a 1/2 game) for the first time all season after a hard-fought overtime win at home against Northwestern earlier this week while Wisconsin dropped a tough game at Nebraska (also in overtime), failing to hold on to a big lead early.

AJ Storr leads Wisconsin in scoring with 16.5 points per game - he's had 28 the last two outings and presents a very difficult match-up for Purdue with his length and ability to get to the rim and also shoot from the perimeter. Steven Crowl leads the Badgers on the glass with 7.8 rebounds a game, and Chucky Hepburn is the assists leader with 3.8 per contest. Hepburn will also be a challenge for Purdue with his defense in the back-court, likely to hound Braden Smith most of the game.

This game features two of the top 15 teams in KenPom ratings with Purdue in 2nd (#1 offense and # 18 defense) and Wisconsin 12th (#7 offense and # 32 defense). With both of these offenses two of the most efficient, you'd expect to see a little more scoring in this game than in past contests between them.

However, Wisconsin still plays slower than almost everybody - as the Badgers are the 322nd-ranked team in the nation in tempo, per KenPom. Purdue is still middle of the pack at 162nd, but there may be some opportunities where they'll want some transition.

The Boilers have had some scoring issues with stronger defenses in the league, scoring 67 versus Maryland, the top defense in the Big Ten, and more recently 68 versus Rutgers, who ranks just ahead of Wisconsin in points allowed. The Badgers have scored 72 points or less in four of their last seven games. With the way Wisconsin plays defense and looking at how they've defended Edey in the post with Crowl and Wahl, Purdue should get some decent looks from long-range......they will have to continue to knock down a decent percentage of them.

On defense, the Boilers need to try and contain AJ Storr and limit his effectiveness in the paint......you may see Ethan Morton and even Cam Heide at times trying to slow him down. Max Klesmit has scored in double figures in four of his last gives, including 26 against Indiana - Purdue will need to keep him in check as well on some of Wisconsin's secondary action.

Although Purdue has shown signs of vulnerability on the road in the losses @ Northwestern and Nebraska, they've also won four of five with solid wins @ Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, and Rutgers. They will need high efficiency and execution today in their toughest test to date so far on the road......that includes effort on the glass and limiting the self-induced turnovers, which have been the key standards for Purdue this year.

A win would put Purdue in a really strong position going into the last portion of the regular season, and it would be a big step forward.....can the Boilers keep things rolling today?

We shall see, starting in a little over an hour or so.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT