ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 2017 projections

gbmhoosier

Senior
Feb 19, 2004
it is fun reading the thread below regarding whether IU can win 5 games or not. On the flip side, what do you guys think The Boilers record will be in 2017 and who do you think they can beat? I struggle to find 3-4 wins with your schedule.

Realistically, I see 4 wins with a high ceiling max of 6 victories. Looking at the schedule, and where the games are played, I think there are certain teams we should be able to beat, and a couple we could pull out an upset. I'm not saying we're that good. I just don't believe minn and northwestern are as good as they are hyped to be. I believe we can beat Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The key is the first 4 games. If we can somehow go 2-2, I see great things ahead. However, we could easily go 0-4 which would make for a very long season. Can we beat Mizzou?

I'll say 5-7 BUT that depends heavily on how that first game goes. If it ends up being a blowout, I think the team struggles to a 3-9 record (Ohio, Rutgers, IU/Illinois). If they compete well (no matter the score as long as it isn't 24+), I think they could use that and a win against Ohio to get one at Missouri and then surprise another game against someone like Minny/NW who tend to have inconsistent play at times throughout the season. I don't think they'll be above 5 wins for the first two seasons....BUT getting to 5-7 leaves a shot at a bowl game OR at the very least a chance a hungry attitude for the following season to get that one more win.

2017:
Lousiville: L
Ohio: W
Missouri: W
Michigan: L
Minny: L (I might be more inclined to put these as a W if Purdue can have a good showing against Michigan the prior week. UM and Lousiville are the best two teams on the schedule hands down, so good showings against those teams goes a long way to proving Brohm's way of doing things is the right way for the program).
Whisky: L
Rutgers: W
Nebraska: L
Illinois: W
NW: L
Iowa: L
IU: W

Looking at least a 5-7 record.............most will remember Danny Hopes last team..........the offensive line was so "GOD AWFUL" our QB's were constantly rolling out on every passing down. I think we finished 6-6 during the regular season. I think our "O" line will be a little better than that. It all starts there...........

Looking at least a 5-7 record.............most will remember Danny Hopes last team..........the offensive line was so "GOD AWFUL" our QB's were constantly rolling out on every passing down. I think we finished 6-6 during the regular season. I think our "O" line will be a little better than that. It all starts there...........
Wow 5-7 at least? That is a big stretch. Who could give you a six win season?

it is fun reading the thread below regarding whether IU can win 5 games or not. On the flip side, what do you guys think The Boilers record will be in 2017 and who do you think they can beat? I struggle to find 3-4 wins with your schedule.

4. I say we pull a major upset on a top 25 team

I believe Iowa and Minnesota will be the two games that define our season. I look at those two teams, and I see a low scoring, ball control offense. they get ahead early, and hold unto the lead and win. they typically score off their opponents' mistakes. if we could get ahead early, they would be taken out of their game plan. Or if we stayed close, I believe we have the WRs to make a Hail Mary pass possible and we have a kicker who can make 50 yard FGs .

I have the belief , if we are down by 2-4 points, and it's late in the game, this year we have the weapons to make and catch that last second pass, or convert that last second Fg. In the past, we tried and failed. rather than coming close, I think this year we will succeed.

i'd anticipate 2-4 wins. more than 4 would be fantastic.

the first game can be an indicator
but I also think back to tillers first. granted he had more advantages than now (talent, seniors, new scheme to others), but they started out with the 2 TD loss to the mac, and still rebounded to 9 wins and 2 wins vs ranked teams.

seems like many unknowns for this team and brohm , I will likely remain optimistic even with a poorer showing vs a tough Louisville

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I'm going to be honest. I like what I' m seeing from Brohm I like him a lot more than Hope and Hazell. But as an alumni, I will never be happy, satisfied or accept a losing season. if our focus is not on winning a championship, it should be at least on bringing this program back to respectability and a bowl game. In saying that, I predicted 4 wins and a possibility of winning two more. if we can win 6 games this year, I'll be a real happy guy.. but there is a difference between what I want, what I expect, and reality.

been watching a lot of WKU football replays from the last few years to try and get a real sense of what we are in store for and the only thing I can come up with is: it's gonna be a feast or famine year.. we could very well go out and win 8.... and we could win 1.

The offense he runs is definitely built to put up points and continually exploit the defense. The defense was another matter, but I think it's geared towards to heavy ground games we're going to be seeing vs the constant air raid/spread attacks of the CUSA top teams they dealt with.

One thing Brogm and Co have experience in though is lack of depth. The main issues with the Group of 5 leagues is you get your starters and maybe poach a couple good ones, but you're a perennially "thin" team in terms of depth. Not saying it will be an advantage, but it's good that these coaches have experience managing shallow teams.

been watching a lot of WKU football replays from the last few years to try and get a real sense of what we are in store for and the only thing I can come up with is: it's gonna be a feast or famine year.. we could very well go out and win 8.... and we could win 1.

The offense he runs is definitely built to put up points and continually exploit the defense. The defense was another matter, but I think it's geared towards to heavy ground games we're going to be seeing vs the constant air raid/spread attacks of the CUSA top teams they dealt with.

One thing Brogm and Co have experience in though is lack of depth. The main issues with the Group of 5 leagues is you get your starters and maybe poach a couple good ones, but you're a perennially "thin" team in terms of depth. Not saying it will be an advantage, but it's good that these coaches have experience managing shallow teams.

I can agree with that. BIG 10 football has it's own style of play. That's works to our advantage, and also to our disadvantage. .

An ass beating of 'Bama in the national championship game by 72. Blough is given the Heisman and is named player of the game for throwing 8 TD passes with his left foot after breaking both his arms Bruce Lee style. West Lafayette goes into full on riot mode and the only thing left standing is the XXX building and the stadium. Brohm is drenched in Gatorade and Hennessy from a Caterpillar Loader vehicle and is paraded around like the Pope for the next 20 years.

A man can dream right?

. I think OH and MZ in nonconf........Rut,IL,IU and good chance to beat Minny......
I agree SunnyFL24, 5-7 is my call. A lot of things make me believe we'll beat Minny. But I'll go with 5-7 and beating the teams SunnyFL24 laid out. I feel like an upset of major proportions could be in the cards this year, but wouldn't want to venture a guess as to who we might upset. I think this team is better than most people give it credit for. I also think it'll be this defense that shocks a lot of folks. Everyone will be watching the offense, meanwhile Nick Holt will be dialing up a surprisingly good "D".

I agree SunnyFL24, 5-7 is my call. A lot of things make me believe we'll beat Minny. But I'll go with 5-7 and beating the teams SunnyFL24 laid out. I feel like an upset of major proportions could be in the cards this year, but wouldn't want to venture a guess as to who we might upset. I think this team is better than most people give it credit for. I also think it'll be this defense that shocks a lot of folks. Everyone will be watching the offense, meanwhile Nick Holt will be dialing up a surprisingly good "D".
Sounds like those good Tiller teams with the defense led by Spack.

Side note: Think this is finally the year Spack gets a bigger job? Looks like he is holding out for a better job...maybe he holds out for the Illini job if Louie can't get it together?

Brohm went 30-10, won 3 bowl games, and two conference championships in 3 seasons, and you think he could only win 1 game this season? Nick Holt is an excellent DC. Purdue will be better on D this season than people expect.

We will go bowling this year.

Brohm went 30-10, won 3 bowl games, and two conference championships in 3 seasons, and you think he could only win 1 game this season? Nick Holt is an excellent DC. Purdue will be better on D this season than people expect.

We will go bowling this year.

Landmark or Market Square Lanes?

I would say 3-5 is very realistic. I don't think CJB is very thrilled with the current roster, but he will have them as ready as he can get them. Our defense has some very good DBs and linebackers. Limit the turnovers and we will have a shot in most games.

I would say 3-5 is very realistic. I don't think CJB is very thrilled with the current roster, but he will have them as ready as he can get them. Our defense has some very good DBs and linebackers. Limit the turnovers and we will have a shot in most games.
He has said that the roster is much better today than when he first came to Purdue due to the JUCOs, early enrollees, FR recruits, 5th year transfers, other transfers, etc.

I just think some people are selling what Brohm and his staff can do short. They will need to outscheme many opponents, but they actually have a track record that says that they can do it. I also think this staff is much more capable of putting the players in positions to succeed instead of trying "to pound the square pegs into the round holes" like D-Haze, Shoop, Hudson, and Ross Els were want to do.

He has said that the roster is much better today than when he first came to Purdue due to the JUCOs, early enrollees, FR recruits, 5th year transfers, other transfers, etc.

I just think some people are selling what Brohm and his staff can do short. They will need to outscheme many opponents, but they actually have a track record that says that they can do it. I also think this staff is much more capable of putting the players in positions to succeed instead of trying "to pound the square pegs into the round holes" like D-Haze, Shoop, Hudson, and Ross Els were want to do.
I know psu gets the more highly rated recruits but look what Moorhead has done w/ their O as compared to their predecessors.

I know psu gets the more highly rated recruits but look what Moorhead has done w/ their O as compared to their predecessors.
It's no coincidence that PSU took off like they did when Franklin brought Joe Moorhead in as OC. Franklin was 7-6 and 7-6 at PSU prior to Moorhead and 11-3 with him. Moorhead will be a HC soon, if he wants to be. Purdue may have interviewed him for our job even.

It's no coincidence that PSU took off like they did when Franklin brought Joe Moorhead in as OC. Franklin was 7-6 and 7-6 at PSU prior to Moorhead and 11-3 with him. Moorhead will be a HC soon, if he wants to be. Purdue may have interviewed him for our job even.
Moorhead is due for a better job than Purdue could have offered last year. If Dantonio has another bad year, MSU may part ways and Moorhead would be an excellent hire there.

Bump this to recognize guys like Johnny and Sunny who called it early.
Appreciate it! Glad my train of thought proved to be correct...not because I'll gloat BUT because all of us fans are having a good time watching a team that plays well, doesn't necessarily make dumb mistakes, and plays extremely hard. I think that is what most fans wanted....a team to be proud of and those three things are all things to be proud of those young men who represent us as Boilermakers.

Was it this thread that said the Nebraska coach and ad were on the hot seat? Well the ad was fired after a 1-2 start! That would never happen at Purdue! Although 2 losses will probably take Nebraska out of any major bowl consideration!

It will take an almost perfect effort to beat Michigan on Saturday, do I hope the Boilers Win, no doubt about it, but we must have the Big picture in view, win or lose against Mich. We must come back rested and healed up after the bye week and beat Minnie, if we have any thought on a bowl this year, I believe they are very beatable, especially playing in Ross-Ade.
The way we are playing now and with on going improvements in each game, should have us knocking on the Bowl Committees door at seasons end. That would be an incredible achievement!
One game at a time and Let's Play Football!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT