ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Pre-Pre-Pre season top 25

dwhitebash11

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 15, 2011
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...23/revised-way-too-early-top-25-some-movement

Wisconsin #8
MSU #10
IU #11
Purdue # 14
Maryland #18

Our OOC opponents that I know of:

Nova #2
Louisville #13

Is it just me or is Wisconsin being over-hyped? Never a good thing if I'm a Wisconsin fan or player. They ended the year nicely, and had a nice NCAA Tourney run, but they are the type of team that can go on huge scoring droughts if Hayes and Happs are missing shots. And not to mention, we match-up very well with them.

MSU is under-ranked based on their recruiting class and how ESPN likes to over-rate teams with high classes. I thought they'd be a top 5 team.

IU, Purdue, and Maryland all seem to be ranked accordingly, IMO.

Should be a good, tight year in the BT. I'm also excited about our OOC schedule. Gives Purdue more coverage, competition, and a chance to show the nation what we're about.

Wisconsin is going to be really good this year. #8, seems a little high but not crazy. I think overall it looks like the B1G was given a little too much love, but hey it's early and it gives us something to talk about :)

Wisky should be real good - senior laden team.....assuming all are back. Last year's frosh center should be an improved soph that gives the B1G fits.
Couldn't agree more about Happ. He is going to be a thorn in teams sides for the next 3 years!

I think Wisconsin is properly ranked. I'd have thought MSU would be higher.

And I also don't understand why IU and Maryland are so high. Maryland lost major pieces from an underachieving team. IU lost their best player from a team I didn't think was as good as their record.

And I also don't understand why IU and Maryland are so high. Maryland lost major pieces from an underachieving team. IU lost their best player from a team I didn't think was as good as their record.
I think that #10 seems more than fair for MSU, considering that they are losing half their team including their 4 most productive players: Valentine, Costello, Forbes, and Davis.

I'd drop every team a little other than Wisky. I think we are right with MSU around 16/17. MSU shouldnt be ranked too high early because their freshmen will need a while to develop but by March they may be ready to go all the way. Maryland and IU are fringe top 25 along with Michigan.

I would feel better about this team if they added one more quality backcourt and frontcourt player. If they found two more players that added to the team's speed/quickness, skill, and defensive abilities (i.e. shot-blocker or fast break points off of steals), I believe they can be very good. It will help and be a plus if they're players willing to take shots or make plays with the game on the line as well. I believe Swanigan is already one of those players. The same goes for Vincent Edwards but it never hurts to have more players like that.

Reactions: mathboy

And I also don't understand why IU and Maryland are so high. Maryland lost major pieces from an underachieving team.
Read this again. Underachieving team with a lot of hype and bad chemistry - everyone trying to get theirs. Their two starting bigs who left couldnt be bothered to defend. They also bring in three top 75 recruits. As far as IU, they have a very talented young core with bryant , anunoby, johnson and the sg who got hurt. Thats returning a lot in todays game. It seems like im reading every big ten team is overrated except for purdue :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Haas=started at the beginning of the yr.
CS=Starter led B1G in rebouding and double-double guy.
VE=starter and very athletic all-around player.
DM=best shooter off the dribble on the team.
PG= question mark!
Out of the top 5 last year who has the most returning starter minutes?

Read this again. Underachieving team with a lot of hype and bad chemistry - everyone trying to get theirs. Their two starting bigs who left couldnt be bothered to defend. They also bring in three top 75 recruits. As far as IU, they have a very talented young core with bryant , anunoby, johnson and the sg who got hurt. Thats returning a lot in todays game. It seems like im reading every big ten team is overrated except for purdue :rolleyes:
"The sg who got hurt" couldn't be bothered to defend. Is it a coincidence that iu's season turned around after he was out of the lineup?

Seems like you are making excuses for Maryland underachieving.

What was IU's record against top 100 before and after JBJ injury?
I believe ND was the only top 100 win before the injury. They had dropped out of the Top 25. Hoosier fans I know acknowledged that their defense was awful, and they were in a tailspin. They lost to 2 teams that did not play in the postseason. After the injury they came back to win the B1G (which was overrated and iu had the easiest schedule).

"The sg who got hurt" couldn't be bothered to defend. Is it a coincidence that iu's season turned around after he was out of the lineup?

Seems like you are making excuses for Maryland underachieving.
The poster i quoted made contradictory statements. I just pointed it out. If sharing reasons for underachieving (there are always real reasons why teams underachieve or overachieve, and it is usually chemistry. If that is "making excuses" then however you want to spin the conversation is fine. I jsut pointed out why espn has them in their top 20, there is obviously a reason they put them there. Better team chemistry and a top 10 recruiting class.

And as far as IU, you picked one out of IU's four returning major minutes guys i mentioned to harp on. Thats fine. Even if you think blackmon sucks, they still return 3 major minute talents. But if we want to do the group think thing and say every big ten team shouldnt be highly ranked except for purdue, then i guess you can do that but im going to be objective

Last edited:
Maryland better reload, they lost alot

They're going to be okay. Besides Melo Trimble returning for his junior season, sophomore wing Dion Wiley (played well against Purdue as a frosh) will return from a redshirt injury season. They will still have JC import Jaylen Brantley as Trimble's backup, 6'5/6'6 streak-shooter Jared Nickens, senior PF/C Damonte Dodd, 6'11/7'0 sophomore big Michal Cekovsky and what appears to be a pretty solid recruiting class.

Going OT, the team in the B1G that might lose the most without gaining as many significant contributors is Iowa. They have a lot of guys, but they are mostly complementary or unproven players besides Peter Jok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota Girl
Im still trying to figure out 3 returning major talents? OG avg just under 5 a game and just under 3 rebounds a game, RJ avg more TO's then assist and about a bucket more then PJ, TB sure because he is proven and his stats aren't hypothetical. So who are those proven talents? And without being hypothetical.

Im still trying to figure out 3 returning major talents? OG avg just under 5 a game and just under 3 rebounds a game, RJ avg more TO's then assist and about a bucket more then PJ, TB sure because he is proven and his stats aren't hypothetical. So who are those proven talents? And without being hypothetical.
Give it up. IU is 11 deep with double double guys this season.

Pop, as distasteful as it a to state it, IU is going to be good. Yes Haas started but that's because of AJ's suspension and slow ramp up. Not that he isn't worth of starting. He will be.
OB is a very good wing and is going to get better with TW out of the way. Morgan can play too. JBJ should come off the bench, not sure what Clappy will do, but he should be a bench guy who comes in to keep the O rolling. The post is very solid and the new one is expected to be as good. Two things in the negative column are unknown point capability and probably not having the easiest Big schedule in history again. I think they are worthy of the top 20 nod.

Reactions: mathboy
i still have my doubts how good IU will be without Yogi, hard to replace him, just have to wait and see.

IU certainly will be good, but I don't think they will be as good as last year. Yogi was a mastermind at PG for them and he bailed them out a lot last year. They have a nice front court, and some good wings. They have a very comparable team to us, actually. We both have unknowns at the PG position.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
They'll be good again (IU). We expect Purdue to be better and then expound on that (postseason success).

i still have my doubts how good IU will be without Yogi, hard to replace him, just have to wait and see.
Yep. That's the big question. An IU buddy and me have had this argument...he acknowledges IU has similar team construction as Purdue had last year but while telling me our lack of experienced / good point play killed us, losing Yogi won't hurt them. It's Indiana.

Getting caught up on some old posts now that I am back from vacation. This is an interesting pre-season poll. I don't know that I agree with it, but what do I know? I predicted IU to be mid-pack BIG last year. Oops! But who's counting anyway, so I will try it again this year. Of course I will apply my usual biases: 1. Freshmen are not saviors of the program, 2. Unless talent plays as a team, ranking aren't worth spit, and 3. Teams wearing old-gold and black are always predicted to be good.

Wisconsin did not make it far in the NCAAs or in the BIG tournament. IIRC Nebraska bounced them out of the BIGT solidly last year, and they have the same group back this year? Well, I think they might be over-rated. I would place them 4th in the BIG. That is not bad, but not in first.

I see Maryland as a 5th place team unless they find a way to use all that talent that walks onto the floor, I don't see them doing better than that. I just don't like the way they play together. Put OSU into that same category. In fact, with the high turnover at OSU, I expect them to be young, and very inconsistent, winning games they shouldn't and losing games they shouldn't.

IU lost Yogi, and he was the perfect combination of penetrator, facilitator and outside shooter. In past years, he was exhausted by the end of the game and would short arm shots. This past year, IU played better as a team, and supported him better than I expected. Plus, add to that an easier schedule. With Yogi and Troy gone, they expect to play PG by committee. The only problem with that is the rules allow only 5 players on the court at a time. IU finishes third in the BIG.

I think this will be a two team race with Purdue and MSU, as usual, coming down the stretch. The ease or difficulty of the schedule will determine the winner.

:cool:

I think this will be a two team race with Purdue and MSU, as usual, coming down the stretch. The ease or difficulty of the schedule will determine the winner.
Math is on target here. If any team in the top 4 gets the level of easiness IU had last year, that team will take the title. Hopefully the imbalance is less extreme.

Wisconsin did not make it far in the NCAAs

They may still be over hyped some for 2016-17, but that seems to be a common sentiment for them every year too.

making their 3rd consecutive sweet sixteen (and 18th NCAA tourney), especially under the coaching situation, was pretty impressive.
And they could have had the W vs ND for an elite 8.
We will see what happ does beyond freshmen year now

Wisconsin did not make it far in the NCAAs or in the BIG tournament. IIRC Nebraska bounced them out of the BIGT solidly last year, and they have the same group back this year? Well, I think they might be over-rated. I would place them 4th in the BIG. That is not bad, but not in first.

This is hilarious. Wisconsin made it to the sweet 16 ("did not make it far")in a rebuilding year and after transitioning to a new head coach mid season. They return everyone which you are somehow trying to sell as a negative, but Purdue will be in a two team race for the league title after losing Hammons and going out in the first round of the tournament....Makes perfect sense!

This is hilarious. Wisconsin made it to the sweet 16 ("did not make it far")in a rebuilding year and after transitioning to a new head coach mid season. They return everyone which you are somehow trying to sell as a negative, but Purdue will be in a two team race for the league title after losing Hammons and going out in the first round of the tournament....Makes perfect sense!
So how did whisky do in the BIG tournament? I think the bumped into mighty Nebraska, right. Oh scary! Got beat by 20 - ugh.

Actually, you might be right, but I just hate to give credit to Whisky.

Last edited:
So how did whisky do in the BIG tournament? I think the bumped into mighty Nebraska, right. Oh scary! Got beat by 20 - ugh.

Actually, you might be right, but I just hate to give credit to Whisky.

Wisconsin was a bit of a roller coaster last year. They got off to a bad start in conference play losing four of their first five (including the opener at home to Purdue), then reeled off 11 of 12 before losing to the Boilers to finish. Had a poor showing in the BTT......almost lost in the opening round......knocked out a really good Xavier team and had ND down late before bowing out.

All in all, with the coaching change and what they lost from the previous year, Wisconsin had a pretty darn good year. They will be very competitive, I think this year.....Koenig and Hayes along with Happ can play.

Wisconsin was a bit of a roller coaster last year. They got off to a bad start in conference play losing four of their first five (including the opener at home to Purdue), then reeled off 11 of 12 before losing to the Boilers to finish. Had a poor showing in the BTT......almost lost in the opening round......knocked out a really good Xavier team and had ND down late before bowing out.

All in all, with the coaching change and what they lost from the previous year, Wisconsin had a pretty darn good year. They will be very competitive, I think this year.....Koenig and Hayes along with Happ can play.

Xavier was a really good team, very talented, BUT, they weren't battle-tested in that weak conference last year. Other than Nova and Xavier, there were no really good teams in the Big East. Seton Hall and Providence had some good players and some good games, but weren't really good teams. Butler flamed out toward the end. Being battle-tested carries a lot of weight come NCAA Tournament time. And even if you want to use Nova as an example to debate this, look at what they did years prior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT