ADVERTISEMENT

Post your preseason All-B1G basketball teams

All this talk about Romeo going to be great as a freshman. He won't even play. Archy Miles is going to redshirt him so that he can gain weight and adapt to B1G basketball.

All this talk about Romeo going to be great as a freshman. He won't even play. Archy Miles is going to redshirt him so that he can gain weight and adapt to B1G basketball.
This thread has been dead for almost two days and you brought it back to life with a weak a$$ troll attempt? At least @Mgkcbb made us believe he actually thinks Romeo sucks.

Iu will be nit bound again. They have no shooters, big guys, or point. I shouldn't have said again, since they didn't make the nit last year

Another weak trolling attempt.

NC_Trojan10:

th

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Another weak trolling attempt.
Not as much as you think. Only half of NIT champions make the NCAA the next year and the median seed is 7. These teams statiscally have produced below what their seed predicted and have a losing record in the tourney and NONE have ever made it past the sweet 16.
Seeing as IU wasn’t the champion and as a matter of fact, wasn’t even invited to the NIT, one can deduce pretty quickly that the odds of IU doing any ot the things many IU fans feel they will do this year, is more unlikely than likely.

Reactions: Inspector100
Not as much as you think. Only half of NIT champions make the NCAA the next year and the median seed is 7. These teams statiscally have produced below what their seed predicted and have a losing record in the tourney and NONE have ever made it past the sweet 16.
Seeing as IU wasn’t the champion and as a matter of fact, wasn’t even invited to the NIT, one can deduce pretty quickly that the odds of IU doing any ot the things many IU fans feel they will do this year, is more unlikely than likely.
What are the things many IU fans think they will do this year? From what I have seen, almost every IU fan has a CEILING for this team as 3rd in the Big Ten with a loss in the sweet 16. Very realistic ceiling given the talent on the roster.

How many of those NIT teams bring in a top 10 recruiting class? How many of those teams return the "on paper" talent that IU does?

What are the things many IU fans think they will do this year? From what I have seen, almost every IU fan has a CEILING for this team as 3rd in the Big Ten with a loss in the sweet 16. Very realistic ceiling given the talent on the roster.

How many of those NIT teams bring in a top 10 recruiting class? How many of those teams return the "on paper" talent that IU does?
I personally don’t care to look it up. You may if you need too, but my point still stands. What you describe as happening, is more unlikely than likely, whether you want to believe it or not.

I personally don’t care to look it up. You may if you need too, but my point still stands. What you describe as happening, is more unlikely than likely, whether you want to believe it or not.
I dont think you know what ceiling means. I expect IU to finish 4th in the Big 10 and win a game in the tournament.

I dont think you know what ceiling means. I expect IU to finish 4th in the Big 10 and win a game in the tournament.
Perhaps you don’t understand how far from that ceiling or even the floor IU ended the season last year. Sixth place and no wins against tournament teams. Four games out of fifth place. Losing record in final 10 games.

IU lost its best deep threat, who also finished third in rebounds, probably won’t have the third leading scorer and fourth in rebounds healthy most of the season, also lost the top two assists guys. Romeo and a single summer of development for guys other than Smith, probably isn’t going to fill the gap you are claiming will be filled.

Bottom line is IU failed to capitalize on a very weak conference and grab some decent wins. I hear about how the defense got better as the year went on, yet you lost to teams late, that you won easily against earlier. You made bad teams look like they average in the 80’s. How is that improved? Maybe you didn’t have two guys guarding the ball instead of switching, but you surely didn’t DEFEND the basket well.

Think what you want now. This is the season for IU dreams of grandeur happens every year. The issue here is, does what you see in the summer ever become reality in the spring?

Perhaps a realistic floor would include an NIT championship at least? Some good teams got left out of the tourney the last few years. IU has a lot of new guys, so it really isn’t that big of a leap to see them having trouble winning those early season seed building wins, and how well will Davis blend back in come conference time, on a team without a proven point, likely a five who likes to float the perimeter all game and no shooters returning?

Way to cherry pick plays. You know what, if teams in the BIG want to double and triple team Romeo to try forcing turnovers....go ahead. More times than most he will find the open guy and it will end in an easy basket. In my opinion, part of the blame for that turnover goes on the play-calling. Romeo isn't a point guard. He has decent handles, but not as good as a lead guard. He shouldn't be given the ball that far from the basket and asked to break the double and triple teams. He should be running off screens and getting himself some space to receive the pass so he can drive and make something happen. Instead they just force-fed him the ball and asked him to do it all. That's not how Archie will be running his offense at Indiana.

And defensively.....that defense was not that bad. Romeo was bodied up to his man and had a hand in his face. The guy made a fantastic acrobatic shot. The kid earned it.

But it's obvious you don't think highly of Romeo, you don't ever intend to and will find whatever evidence you can to try proving he's no good. You're a Purdue fan, so it makes sense that you wouldn't like him. When the ball hits the court we can see this all play out.

Should have been an ‘and one’

Perhaps you don’t understand how far from that ceiling or even the floor IU ended the season last year. Sixth place and no wins against tournament teams. Four games out of fifth place. Losing record in final 10 games.

IU lost its best deep threat, who also finished third in rebounds, probably won’t have the third leading scorer and fourth in rebounds healthy most of the season, also lost the top two assists guys. Romeo and a single summer of development for guys other than Smith, probably isn’t going to fill the gap you are claiming will be filled.

Bottom line is IU failed to capitalize on a very weak conference and grab some decent wins. I hear about how the defense got better as the year went on, yet you lost to teams late, that you won easily against earlier. You made bad teams look like they average in the 80’s. How is that improved? Maybe you didn’t have two guys guarding the ball instead of switching, but you surely didn’t DEFEND the basket well.

Think what you want now. This is the season for IU dreams of grandeur happens every year. The issue here is, does what you see in the summer ever become reality in the spring?

Perhaps a realistic floor would include an NIT championship at least? Some good teams got left out of the tourney the last few years. IU has a lot of new guys, so it really isn’t that big of a leap to see them having trouble winning those early season seed building wins, and how well will Davis blend back in come conference time, on a team without a proven point, likely a five who likes to float the perimeter all game and no shooters returning?

Wow. Sounds incredibly grim.

If dem Hoosiers squeak past Rutgers, Archie will have done a fantastic job with this limited group.

Or, should one choose to have incredibly high expectations for the Hoosiers? You don’t have to pick one of those options by the way :)

Iu will be nit bound again. They have no shooters, big guys, or point. I shouldn't have said again, since they didn't make the nit last year

Let's try a little experiment- match the respective stats to either Nojel or Green-
(returning points?) Interested in seeing how many you get correct...

39 (assists)
76 (assists)

2.5 (APG)
1.9 (APG)

32 (steals)
21 (steals)

6 (blocks)
5 (blocks)

40 (turnovers)
59 (turnovers)

2.9 PPG
7.6 PPG

467 mins
697 mins

1.9 (RPG)
2.5 (RPG)

Let's try a little experiment- match the respective stats to either Nojel or Green-
(returning points?) Interested in seeing how many you get correct...

39 (assists)
76 (assists)

2.5 (APG)
1.9 (APG)

32 (steals)
21 (steals)

6 (blocks)
5 (blocks)

40 (turnovers)
59 (turnovers)

2.9 PPG
7.6 PPG

467 mins
697 mins

1.9 (RPG)
2.5 (RPG)
Curious. What is the difference in MPG?

I'm going to do this paragraph by paragraph so hopefully it makes it easier for you to understand.

Paragraph #1:

I know exactly where IU finished last year, and it wasn't great. The good news is that that record doesn't carry over to this year. Last year most here laughably had IU finishing 10+ in the conference, and they were predicted 9th by most media outlets preseason. They finished 6th.

Paragraph 2:

Yes, we lost Robert Johnson who was our best 3pt shooter and 3rd in rebounds. Turns out Romeo is a better scorer and better rebounder than Rojo. Net gain. Yes, we lost the two guys that averaged the most assists on the team. However, you are cherry picking stats. Newkirk was a garbage player. His assists didn't make up for how bad he was in every other part of the game. Green (while wildly inconsistent) showed a ton of promise last season. Net Gain. Yes, davis will likely be out most or all of next season. Since he was out most of this season, this comparison isn't valid, however Fitzner/Smith > Davis. Net Gain. Not sure how Smith was the only returning player to get more than the summer to develop? The only true freshmen that will get a bunch of minutes are Romeo and Phinisee.

Paragraph 3:
We did not defend well last year. We also didn't have the roster to play the Pack Line (tall and long at most positions).

Paragraph 4:

The experts sure think IU will make the tournament this year considering they almost all have us preseason ranked.

Paragraph 5:

An NIT championship would be a realistic floor. I think you are starting to see how this works.

If you would like, we can now talk about how much Purdue lost, and the talent they are trying replace their lost talent with.

He put minutes on the list. Reading isn't that hard.

Aw, your a bit pissy, aren’t ya?
Yeah, I see the minutes. They aren’t the same are they, or can you not do the math?

Y’all have been running Green down for a couple of seasons and now, you’re over here trying to compare him to Nojel in positive light. It’s cute you care so much.

Makes my heart warm, because if Green is your guy, the conference coaches can play an extra round of golf each week.

Reactions: Purdue85
Aw, your a bit pissy, aren’t ya?
Yeah, I see the minutes. They aren’t the same are they, or can you not do the math?

Y’all have been running Green down for a couple of seasons and now, you’re over here trying to compare him to Nojel in positive light. It’s cute you care so much.

Makes my heart warm, because if Green is your guy, the conference coaches can play an extra round of golf each week.
What has Nojel done other than "shut down" Tony Carr once? If I was forced to choose, I would take Green 10/10. If you would take Nojel, that works out perfectly considering each player plays for our Alma Maters.

What has Nojel done other than "shut down" Tony Carr once? If I was forced to choose, I would take Green 10/10. If you would take Nojel, that works out perfectly considering each player plays for our Alma Maters.
I would kindly ask you to leave my son out of this conversation no need to compare either player new season different results for both players both will have their opportunities to prove their value.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I would kindly ask you to leave my son out of this conversation no need to compare either player new season different results for both players both will have their opportunities to prove their value.

But it’s a basketball message board.

Not okay to compare players and state which one is preferred?

That is truly, ahem;
Unique.

But it’s a basketball message board.

Not okay to compare players and state which one is preferred?

That is truly, ahem;
Unique.
It’s not comparable however due to both role on the team and minutes played.

Hang loose and see what happens this season when they both are relied upon more equally and play enough minutes to succeed or fail.

I think IU is going to disappoint their fans, but they have an example of being a trash team and turning it around with a top talent. Look at what happened when they brought it Zeller.

I think IU squeaks into the tournament just barely or goes to the NIT. I don't think there is any chance they miss all post season tournaments so long as they stay healthy. Romeo will likely be around 10-12 ppg and go pro (could be more but I would be surprised). Hunter will likely be around 10-12 ppg (could be more and I wouldn't be surprised) and stick around. Morgan will likely be in the 15-20 ppg range even though I think he will be a dissapointment based on their fan expectations. If they don't get a lot out of their role players and don't see significant jumps from their returning players, IU could be in for a rough season. I think they have a lower floor and a lower ceiling than Purdue. I don't think they will be near as good as their fan base expects or near as bad as the Purdue fan expects. If Miller wants to keep his job, he better make the tournament with Romeo. If not that seat gets scorching hot with a quickness.

Side note: why are so many of our threads becoming about IU? I guess we really need something to talk about. Luckily football starts up soon and maybe we can get a recruit or two to talk about.

I think IU is going to disappoint their fans, but they have an example of being a trash team and turning it around with a top talent. Look at what happened when they brought it Zeller.

I think IU squeaks into the tournament just barely or goes to the NIT. I don't think there is any chance they miss all post season tournaments so long as they stay healthy. Romeo will likely be around 10-12 ppg and go pro (could be more but I would be surprised). Hunter will likely be around 10-12 ppg (could be more and I wouldn't be surprised) and stick around. Morgan will likely be in the 15-20 ppg range even though I think he will be a dissapointment based on their fan expectations. If they don't get a lot out of their role players and don't see significant jumps from their returning players, IU could be in for a rough season. I think they have a lower floor and a lower ceiling than Purdue. I don't think they will be near as good as their fan base expects or near as bad as the Purdue fan expects. If Miller wants to keep his job, he better make the tournament with Romeo. If not that seat gets scorching hot with a quickness.

Side note: why are so many of our threads becoming about IU? I guess we really need something to talk about. Luckily football starts up soon and maybe we can get a recruit or two to talk about.
He will definitely be on the hot seat if he doesn't make the tournament.

Did you mean Smith when you said Hunter was going to average 10-12 ppg? Hunter is looking like the 8th ot 9th man at this point for IU.

I disagree with the ceiling/floor assessment, but that's fine.

He will definitely be on the hot seat if he doesn't make the tournament.

Did you mean Smith when you said Hunter was going to average 10-12 ppg? Hunter is looking like the 8th ot 9th man at this point for IU.

I disagree with the ceiling/floor assessment, but that's fine.

I’ll say this, I think there is certainly a plausible scenario where IU only squeaks in the tournament or just misses it and for that to happen IU would have to have abysmal PG play once again. But with only adequate and consistent PG play I think IU gets in comfortably. Perimeter shooting is a cause for concern and that will likely determine how good IU can be, but unlike last year, IU now has a dynamic guard who can create his own shot. Statistically Johnson had a good year last year, but he isn’t a lead guard by any means and IU had no one on the perimeter who could manufacture offense.

I do think many are underrating IU’s ceiling and it’s largely due to people not acknowledging Romeo could live up to his hype. IU isn’t a F4 team regardless of Romeo but they could definitely reach the second weekend of the tournament if he’s as good as he’s billed to be. People who are predicting that he’s only going to average 10-12 ppg aren’t understanding what his usage is going to look like. Romeo by design is going to average at least 14-15 ppg because he’s going to be taking at least 14-15 shots a game. Even if he’s abysmal from the field, say 33% 4-12 from 2, 1-3 from 3, that’s still 11 points right there and that’s not factoring in a guy who will probably get to the line 7 or 8 times a game. I think Romeo with his usage will probably be between 45-50% from the field and depending on usage and FT% will average anywhere from 15-19 ppg. He’s going to have too. His efficiency numbers will be a major factor in how good IU will be. If he can do that on 14 or 15 shots as opppsed to 18-19 IU will end up alright.

Reactions: jace4655555
Iu has no shooters or a big man. Fitzner didn't even start on a bad st Mary's team.

Iu has no shooters or a big man. Fitzner didn't even start on a bad st Mary's team.
Purdue will be one of the worst shooting teams in the Big Ten. I wonder if Nojel Eastern will laughably put his name in the draft again after averaging 5 pts this year.

What an ignorant and unintelligent statement.

"Fitzner didn't even start on a bad St. Mary's team"

Evan Fitzner has started in 76 out of the 105 college games he's played in. By number, Evan Fitzner has started more D1 games than any player Purdue has returning next year. I don't know how any person person can say St. Mary's is a "bad" team. They were snubbed from the NCAAT after going 28-5 with a KenPom ranking of 32 and an RPI ranking of 46. They should have not only been in the tournament last year, they should have been comfortably in by any and all advanced metrics and should have been a 7 or 8 seed. This does not make St. Mary's bad, and the only reason Fitzner didn't start every game of his St. Mary's career is because he played behind Jock Lansdale, a second team AA who would have started anywhere else in the country.

"IU has no shooters or a big man"

Compared to who? Purdue? Juwan Morgan is the best returning front court player on either of the two teams and Evan Fitzner and De'Ron Davis are more proven at the 5 position than any combination of Haarm/Williams/Dowuona. As far as shooters? Yeah IU probably doesn't have as many "proven" shooters as Purdue, but outside Carsen Edwards, Purdue doesn't have anybody who is a proven volume shooter at the D1 level. And if you're going to include Boudreaux and Cline as proven shooters then you have to include Fitzner as a proven shooter because Fitzner is a better three point shooter than either of those two.

Last edited:
Purdue will be one of the worst shooting teams in the Big Ten. I wonder if Nojel Eastern will laughably put his name in the draft again after averaging 5 pts this year.
I'll take that bet that we won't be. What would care to wager? A grand? Your car? You stop posting here on every ID you are using?

Again you just don’t stop you find a way to involve my son in ur BS you will find out in 3 months exactly why he put his name in the draft. You wanna talk Purdue stuff do so but leave my son out of your dam mouth. You really looking pathetic picking on a 19 eat old how about picking on me and see how it goes

Again you just don’t stop you find a way to involve my son in ur BS you will find out in 3 months exactly why he put his name in the draft. You wanna talk Purdue stuff do so but leave my son out of your dam mouth. You really looking pathetic picking on a 19 eat old how about picking on me and see how it goes
Please ignore these trolls. They are iu fans and prone to over exaggerate their own team and discount others. And every year it's proven when it's all said and done.

You seem to have no issue with your posters "picking" on IU players. If you have issue with what's posted here, maybe you do what most normal player parents do and stay off the message boards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT