ADVERTISEMENT

Post your preseason All-B1G basketball teams

Mgkcbb

Sophomore
Apr 2, 2016
Just some of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing this year as I think these players will have really good years.

1st team

Ethan Happ - Wisconsin

Tyler Cook - Iowa

Charles Mathews - Michigan

Carsen Edwards - Purdue

Anthony Cowan - Maryland

2nd Team
BRUNO Fernando - Maryland
Juwan Morgan - Indiana
Isiah Roby - Nebraska
Zavier Simpson - Michigan
Cassius Winston - Michigan State

Preseason All Frosh Team

Jalen "Sticks" Smith - Maryland
Aaron Wiggins - Maryland
Luther Muhammed - Ohio State
Joe Wieskamp - Iowa
Ayo Dosumnu - Illinois

Preseason All Defense

Matt HAARMS - Purdue
Ethan Happ - Wisconsin
Isaiah Roby - Nebraska
Nojel Eastern - Purdue

10 potential breakout candidates
Matt HAARMS - Purdue
Justin Smith - Indiana
Isiah Roby - Nebraska
Kipper Nichols - Illinois
Isiah Moss - Iowa
Aaron Wheeler - Purdue
Nojel Eastern - Purdue
Daryl Morsell - Maryland
Jordan Poole - Michigan
Isiah Livers - Michigan
Isiah Washington - Minnesota

Just some of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing this year as I think these players will have really good years.

1st team

Ethan Happ - Wisconsin

Tyler Cook - Iowa

Carsen Edwards - Purdue

Anthony Cowan - Maryland

2nd Team
Juwan Morgan - Indiana
Isiah Roby - Nebraska

Preseason All Frosh Team

Aaron Wiggins - Maryland
Joe Wieskamp - Iowa
Ayo Dosumnu - Illinois

Preseason All Defense

Matt HAARMS - Purdue
Ethan Happ - Wisconsin
Isaiah Roby - Nebraska
Nojel Eastern - Purdue

If it is not based on position and simply the 5 best players I've got the 1st team as:

1. Ethan Happ
2. Carsen Edwards
3. James Palmer Jr
4. Anthony Cowan
5. Charles Matthews

I think the first four are locks barring injury, the 5th spot is wide open....

Reactions: KisteK and nagemj02
If it is not based on position and simply the 5 best players I've got the 1st team as:

1. Ethan Happ
2. Carsen Edwards
3. James Palmer Jr
4. Anthony Cowan
5. Charles Matthews

I strongly considered Palmer, and he may very well be a first team all B1G when it's all settled in March, but I'm not sure he's even the best player on his team. I think that distinction goes to Roby, who was elite by advanced metrics in conference play last season.

1st team

Ethan Happ - Wisconsin

Tyler Cook - Iowa

Carsen Edwards - Purdue

Anthony Cowan - Maryland

2nd Team
Juwan Morgan - Indiana
Isiah Roby - Nebraska

Preseason All Frosh Team

Aaron Wiggins - Maryland
Joe Wieskamp - Iowa
Ayo Dosumnu - Illinois

Preseason All Defense

Matt HAARMS - Purdue
Ethan Happ - Wisconsin
Isaiah Roby - Nebraska
Nojel Eastern - Purdue

You dont think Romeo makes the preseason All-frosh team?... wow....

1. Ethan Happ
2. Carsen Edwards
3. James Palmer Jr
4. Anthony Cowan
5. Charles Matthews

I'm not as high on Mathews as most. I like your list, but I would replace Mathews with Winston or Morgan.

Reactions: KisteK
You dont think Romeo makes the preseason All-frosh team?... wow....

Yeah I don't believe he is.

His 2017 AAU stats were just so bad. He's a 35% career 3 point shooter in IHSAA. Add his various all star events to that and it dips to 34%. In AAU, he didn't really contribute anything besides inefficient volume shooting. It's hard to imagine someone who was an inefficient chucker (and nothing else) in the 2017 AAU season is going to come in and all of the sudden be an efficient scorer who expands his game and does other things against B1G talent. Take into account neither of Indiana's point guards are scoring threats and it's likely Romeo draws the best perimeter defender on each team.

I think he's going to have a similar season to the FR. season of Josh Langford, another 5 star shooting guard who came into the B1G and struggled to adjust to the level of competition going from high schoolers to 21 year old men.

Last edited:

His 2017 AAU stats were just so bad. He's a 35% career 3 point shooter in IHSAA. Add his various all star events to that and it dips to 34%. In AAU, he didn't really contribute anything besides inefficient volume shooting. It's hard to imagine someone who was an inefficient chucker (and nothing else) in the 2017 AAU season is going to come in and all of the sudden be an efficient scorer who expands his game and does other things against B1G talent. Take into account neither of Indiana's point guards are scoring threats and it's likely Romeo draws the best perimeter defender on each team.

I think he's going to have a similar season to the FR. season of Josh Langford, another 5 star shooting guard who came into the B1G and struggled to adjust to the level of competition going from high schoolers to 21 year old men.
You said PRESEASON All -Frosh team. No person with an ounce of basketball knowledge would say Romeo wont be on that PRESEASON list.

You said PRESEASON All -Frosh team. No person with an ounce of basketball knowledge would say Romeo wont be on that PRESEASON list.

Well, no. This isnt a prediction thread. This is a thread inviting everyone to post their own preseason All big ten lists.

I can't find any official preseason All big ten freshman lists so it's not anything that even exists, just something I've added to further discussion. So you're acting like Romeo Langford is entitled to be on a list that doesn't even exist.

Well, no. This isnt a prediction thread. This is a thread inviting everyone to post their own preseason All big ten lists.

I can't find any official preseason All big ten freshman lists so it's not anything that even exists, just something I've added to further discussion. So you're acting like Romeo Langford is entitled to be on a list that doesn't even exist.
Those lists will come out right before the start of the season like they do every year, and Romeo will not only be on them, but he will be the pick for B1GFOY.

Those lists will come out right before the start of the season like they do every year, and Romeo will not only be on them, but he will be the pick for B1GFOY.

Lol

You don't have any clue what you're talking about, unfortunately. The all frosh team is a postseason honor.

Here's a link of the preseason honors last year:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101917aac.html

Notice how there is no all freshman team. Like I told you before, preseason All Frosh teams don't exist, it's just something I added to help discuss possible incoming frosh, so acting like someone deserves to be on something that doesn't exist is strange.

Lol

You don't have any clue what you're talking about, unfortunately. The all frosh team is a postseason honor.

Here's a link of the preseason honors last year:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101917aac.html

Notice how there is no all freshman team. Like I told you before, preseason All Frosh teams don't exist, it's just something I added to help discuss possible incoming frosh, so acting like someone deserves to be on something that doesn't exist is strange.
Almost every list has pre season freshman of the year. Romeo will be that player this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jconline.com/amp/748948001

I will ban bet you that Baird (a Purdue guy) has Romeo as his Preseason Freshman of the Year.

This is what you call a "honeymoon period" for the IU guys with Li'l Archie. You know the story:

The new bride came home from the honeymoon crying. She told here mom through tearful eyes, "All Arche did was sit on the side of the bed and tell me how great it was going to be!"

This is what you call a "honeymoon period" for the IU guys with Li'l Archie. You know the story:

The new bride came home from the honeymoon crying. She told here mom through tearful eyes, "All Arche did was sit on the side of the bed and tell me how great it was going to be!"
Under crean we had about the same success as Painter in the same time. The difference is we were disappointed in the results and you guys are celebrating.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Almost every list has pre season freshman of the year. Romeo will be that player this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jconline.com/amp/748948001

I will ban bet you that Baird (a Purdue guy) has Romeo as his Preseason Freshman of the Year.

Well look, firstly, please stop flaming my thread. Either post your preseason lists, or give me reasons backed up by stats and facts why you think mine are wrong, or go back to the Indiana board.

Secondly, like I've shown you, preseason All big ten freshmen lists aren't a thing. They don't exist. So why you would move the goalposts and try to get me to bet you, a random IU slapjack, that a random writer will pick Romeo to be his imaginary preseason best freshman is strange and random. I don't care what this writer says, if I did I'd post his lists. I'm creating this thread to post my thoughts and get others.

Stop lashing out from embarrassment that you tried telling me a player you like belongs on a list that doesn't exist and please participate in the thread with the topic at hand. If you'd like to discuss Romeo specifically or this writer you linked, start a thread on the Indiana board, but please stop trolling my thread.

Well look, firstly, please stop flaming my thread. Either post your preseason lists, or give me reasons backed up by stats and facts why you think mine are wrong, or go back to the Indiana board.

Secondly, like I've shown you, preseason All big ten freshmen lists aren't a thing. They don't exist. So why you would move the goalposts and try to get me to bet you, a random IU slapjack, that a random writer will pick Romeo to be his imaginary preseason best freshman is strange and random. I don't care what this writer says, if I did I'd post his lists. I'm creating this thread to post my thoughts and get others.

Stop lashing out from embarrassment that you tried telling me a player you like belongs on a list that doesn't exist and please participate in the thread with the topic at hand. If you'd like to discuss Romeo specifically or this writer you linked, start a thread on the Indiana board, but please stop trolling my thread.
1st Team:

Carsen POY
Happ
Morgan
Cowan
Palmer

2nd Team:

Cook
Winston
Mathews
Ward
Bruno

All-Frosh:

Romeo FOY
Ayo
Wiggins
Smith
Muhammad

1st Team:

Carsen Edwards
Ethan Happ
James Palmer Jr.
Juwan Morgan
Tyler Cook

2nd Team:

Anthony Cowan
Charles Matthews
Romeo Langford
Cassius Winston
Isaiah Roby

All Freshman:

Romeo
Jalen Smith
Brazdeikis
Dosunmu
Wiggins

Can't say I've researched enough on this, could be missing someone, but I think that either Nojel or Justin Smith could be most improved.

1st Team:

Carsen Edwards
Ethan Happ
James Palmer Jr.
Juwan Morgan
Tyler Cook

2nd Team:

Anthony Cowan
Charles Matthews
Romeo Langford
Cassius Winston
Isaiah Roby

All Freshman:

Romeo
Jalen Smith
Brazdeikis
Dosunmu
Wiggins

Can't say I've researched enough on this, could be missing someone, but I think that either Nojel or Justin Smith could be most improved.

Can't believe I forgot IGNAS Brazdeikis on my frosh team.

There is some precedent for a top five freshman to be less than a big impact player, but in the past ten years or so, the non-injury busts from the top five incoming players are very few and far between. Less than 10%, and it seems like Josh Selby was the only one who was not a big man.

Josh Langford has been a non-impact player for MSU, but he was the 19th ranked composite player. When you get above about #15, there are lots of big time players, but the odds of impact level success go way down.

In other words, the experts that have seen Romeo put him in the 90%+ category for big success.

Reactions: KisteK and Mgkcbb
There is some precedent for a top five freshman to be less than a big impact player, but in the past ten years or so, the non-injury busts from the top five incoming players are very few and far between. Less than 10%, and it seems like Josh Selby was the only one who was not a big man.

Josh Langford has been a non-impact player for MSU, but he was the 19th ranked composite player. When you get above about #15, there are lots of big time players, but the odds of impact level success go way down.

In other words, the experts that have seen Romeo put him in the 90%+ category for big success.

Here is a link for Romeo Langfords stats from the Adidas AAU circuit last year

https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/17878890?subseason=412391

In 5 games
21 ppg on 42% from the field
22% from 3 (7 of 32)
75% FT
1.6 assists per game
3.4 turnovers per game

Seriously, in 5 games he only recorded 8 assists but recorded 17 turnovers. That is shockingly bad.

So he was an inefficient chucker with orre than double the amount of turnovers vs assists against high schoolers a year ago. But, because he dumptrucked 6'0 kids in IHSAA by getting to the line a million times against overmatched kids, I'm supposed to believe that will translate more than the fact he was awful against other high school kids who are actually college recruits on the AAU circuit?

So you can see why I'm low on him. He can't shoot from 3 and relies primarily on scoring at the rim and getting to the line frequently, two things that are the least translate-able from HS to college due to the sheer size of defenders at the college level vs 6'3 centers in high school.

I mean be serious - do you really think if he can't be an efficient scorer and playmaker on the AAU circuit that he's going to all of the sudden become one when Nojel Eastern, Charles Mathews, Josh Reaves, Vic Law, James Palmer, and Daryl Morsell are swarming him? There are no shortage of wing athletes in the B1G this year.

Now will he dumptruck the non con low major scrubs? I believe he will. Will he occasionally go off in B1G play when he gets to go against a Josh Langford and Matt McQuaid duo? I believe he will torch those bum defenders.

But I'm skeptical about his ability to be efficient against B1G level defenders. He may score 15 ppg, but it may take him 15 shots to get that point total.

In 5 games
22% from 3 (7 of 32)
75% FT
1.6 assists per game
3.4 turnovers per game

Seriously, in 5 games he only recorded 8 assists but recorded 17 turnovers. That is shockingly bad.

So he was an inefficient chucker with orre than double the amount of turnovers vs assists against high schoolers a year ago. But, because he dumptrucked 6'0 kids in IHSAA by getting to the line a million times against overmatched kids, I'm supposed to believe that will translate more than the fact he was awful against other high school kids who are actually college recruits on the AAU circuit?

So you can see why I'm low on him. He can't shoot from 3 and relies primarily on scoring at the rim and getting to the line frequently, two things that are the least translate-able from HS to college due to the sheer size of defenders at the college level vs 6'3 centers in high school.

I mean be serious - do you really think if he can't be an efficient scorer and playmaker on the AAU circuit that he's going to all of the sudden become one when Nojel Eastern, Charles Mathews, Josh Reaves, Vic Law, James Palmer, and Daryl Morsell are swarming him? There are no shortage of wing athletes in the B1G this year.

Now will he dumptruck the non con low major scrubs? I believe he will. Will he occasionally go off in B1G play when he gets to go against a Josh Langford and Matt McQuaid duo? I believe he will torch those bum defenders.

But I'm skeptical about his ability to be efficient against B1G level defenders. He may score 15 ppg, but it may take him 15 shots to get that point total.
He was a 36% career 3 pt shooter in high school with over 700 attempts. But yea, he isn't a good 3pt shooter because he went 7/32 over a 5 game span in AAU when he was the only capable player on his team... Your basketball knowledge is truly incredible.

Reactions: Shoeless Joe5

In 5 games
22% from 3 (7 of 32)
75% FT
1.6 assists per game
3.4 turnovers per game

Let's put this into perspective. So scouts who evaluate and rank players for a living decided that Langford is an elite talent and ranked him in the top 5 in the country, thus saying that he will be an impact player. But you, who doesn't evaluate players for a living, laid out a whole argument about how innefective Langford will be in college, based upon (checks post 3 times) stats from 5 games that you didn't even watch......5 games......and a boxscore. Foregive me if I don't give your opinion much credence.

But again, we won't convince each other of anything, only playing games will decide anything. So, in order to have some sort of quantitative prediction to look back on at the end of the season, what do you think Langford will do statistically at IU this year, in order for you to label him as an ineffective, non-impact player? Keep in mind that if his percentages aren't what you would call efficient, we could compare them to Carsen's percentages, since you expect him to be POY, and I assume an efficient player.

Romeo will be on the All Frosh team most likely and perhaps win Frosh of the year.

Having said that, I think those will be the only accolades he receives in college play.

He was a 36% career 3 pt shooter in high school with over 700 attempts. But yea, he isn't a good 3pt shooter because he went 7/32 over a 5 game span in AAU when he was the only capable player on his team... Your basketball knowledge is truly incredible.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...bef0-a0369f3c1b4c&gendersport=boys,basketball

He's a career 34.5% 3 point shooter in IHSAA (192 of 555).

Now, let's add in his various all star events.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Romeo-Langford/Summary/104403

2 for 4 Jordan Classic
3 for 8 McDonald's AA game
9 for 27 at Adidas Nations
3 for 9 at U19 World Cup
2 for 8 at Adidas Eurocup

Those total up to 19 For 56

Now let's add in his 7 for 32 at AAU from the link I provided earlier

So, IHSAA 192 for 555
Various events 19 for 56
AAU 7 for 32

Totaling 218 for 643. 33.9%.

He's a 34%career 3 point shooter in high school, going to assume he's around 30% or so with the added length college athletes provide.

In 5 games
22% from 3 (7 of 32)
75% FT
1.6 assists per game
3.4 turnovers per game

I can’t take your statistical data all that seriously when you cherry pick a five game AAU stretch as the basis for stating this.

Romeo Langford was really really good in the McDonald’s AA game, when the teams’ talent was equally distributed.

He was really really good for a really long time in high level Indiana high school ball while getting double and triple teamed.

There’s always a chance a player doesn’t meet expectations, but the chances of a healthy Romeo not being one of the five best freshmen in the B1G this coming year are very small, and I’d imagine that anyone tuned in to college ball knows that, and would only say otherwise to stir the pot.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...bef0-a0369f3c1b4c&gendersport=boys,basketball

2 for 4 Jordan Classic
3 for 9 at U19 World Cup

So, IHSAA 192 for 555
Various events 19 for 56
AAU 7 for 32

He's a 34%career 3 point shooter in high school, going to assume he's around 30% or so with the added length college athletes provide.
You didn't include romeos freshman season. With that he is a 36% 3pt shooter with over 700 attempts. Trying to argue that he can't shoot is ignorant.

Let's put this into perspective. So scouts who evaluate and rank players for a living decided that Langford is an elite talent and ranked him in the top 5 in the country, thus saying that he will be an impact player. But you, who doesn't evaluate players for a living, laid out a whole argument about how innefective Langford will be in college, based upon (checks post 3 times) stats from 5 games that you didn't even watch......5 games......and a boxscore. Foregive me if I don't give your opinion much credence.

But again, we won't convince each other of anything, only playing games will decide anything. So, in order to have some sort of quantitative prediction to look back on at the end of the season, what do you think Langford will do statistically at IU this year, in order for you to label him as an ineffective, non-impact player? Keep in mind that if his percentages aren't what you would call efficient, we could compare them to Carsen's percentages, since you expect him to be POY, and I assume an efficient player.

Yeah I'm not trying to convince, just giving you my reasons since someone quoted me and asked me why I left him off the list.

You're free to believe whatever you want.

Reactions: mathboy
I can’t take your statistical data all that seriously when you cherry pick a five game AAU stretch as the basis for stating this.

Romeo Langford was really really good in the McDonald’s AA game, when the teams’ talent was equally distributed.

He was really really good for a really long time in high level Indiana high school ball while getting double and triple teamed.

There’s always a chance a player doesn’t meet expectations, but the chances of a healthy Romeo not being one of the five best freshmen in the B1G this coming year are very small, and I’d imagine that anyone tuned in to college ball knows that, and would only say otherwise to stir the pot.

So your response to him playing so poor in AAU, where players are actually trying, is that he played well in an All Star game with no defense? Have you ever watched a McD AA game?

2 for 4 Jordan Classic
3 for 9 at U19 World Cup

So, IHSAA 192 for 555
Various events 19 for 56
AAU 7 for 32

By the way, even though I disagree with your main premise, I will agree that he's not a knock down 3pt shooter. He's good, not great. I wouldn't expect him to even shoot 40% from 3 in college. However, he's fantastic at getting to the rim and drawing contact or scoring when he gets there. I don't think that will change that much. So even at 36% from 3, I would expect his 2pt% to be quite high and him to get to the line for 7 or 8 free throws a game.

You didn't include romeos freshman season. With that he is a 36% 3pt shooter with over 700 attempts. Trying to argue that he can't shoot is ignorant.

I forgot some more games as well

2 of 5 Ind All Stars

0 of 6 Ind All Stars

1 for 5 Ind All Stars

So 3 for 16 in these games as well for 19%

Interesting. Mgkcbb has provided very telling data that indicates Romeo might not be an “instant impact” player in BIG competition. None of that means he won’t be a good player, but fans hanging an IU turn around on his joining the team might be disappointed.

In response we get “he was a great high school player”. Well so was Ryan Cline. Cline is not a bad player, just not a high impact guy. I expect mgkcbb might have nailed it.

Interesting. Mgkcbb has provided very telling data that indicates Romeo might not be an “instant impact” player in BIG competition. None of that means he won’t be a good player, but fans hanging an IU turn around on his joining the team might be disappointed.

In response we get “he was a great high school player”. Well so was Ryan Cline. Cline is not a bad player, just not a high impact guy. I expect mgkcbb might have nailed it.

And its just my opinion. The IU fans getting mad at me are approaching it as if I think they should concede this argument or something.

They are allowed to think my opinion is idiotic and completely disagree with it - but if you ask me why I believe Romeo will not be a top 5 freshman, then I'm going to tell you why. One thing I'm not is a troll - I believe what I type. I'm not out here trying to antagonize IU fans.

What data did he provide to suggest romeo wont be an impact player? His 3pt percentage from 5 AAU games and 4 All star games?

He failed to mention that romeo shot almost 60 percent inside the arc in high school. We shall see, but there is a way better chance that romeo makes an All-big team than that he doesn't.

What data did he provide to suggest romeo wont be an impact player? His 3pt percentage from 5 AAU games and 4 All star games?

He failed to mention that romeo shot almost 60 percent inside the arc in high school. We shall see, but there is a way better chance that romeo makes an All-big team than that he doesn't.

I've literally included 643 logged 3 point attempts from various games and events from Romeo.

Also, I also touched on Romeos 2 point % and how it will be reduced dramatically in college when he's trying to finish at the rim vs 6'9+ centers every game as opposed to 6'3 high school centers(as his AAU stats show).

Just because you don't like what I've posted doesn't mean you can continue making things up to try and discredit the facts and stats I've provided.

And its just my opinion. The IU fans getting mad at me are approaching it as if I think they should concede this argument or something.

They are allowed to think my opinion is idiotic and completely disagree with it - but if you ask me why I believe Romeo will not be a top 5 freshman, then I'm going to tell you why. .
Shocking… you are antagonizing IU fans, and on the Purdue Free Board... with logic and statistics! Shocking I tell you!

Every summer I have been on this board we get an annual trickle of IU fans telling us how great the team will be next year. Hope springs eternal I suppose. A few times they have been on target. When they got Zeller we saw a good IU team emerge. That's been about the extent of it IIRC

Last edited:
I've literally included 643 logged 3 point attempts from various games and events from Romeo.

Also, I also touched on Romeos 2 point % and how it will be reduced dramatically in college when he's trying to finish at the rim vs 6'9+ centers every game as opposed to 6'3 high school centers(as his AAU stats show).

Just because you don't like what I've posted doesn't mean you can continue making things up to try and discredit the facts and stats I've provided.
Stating that his 2pt percentage will go down is not a fact, it's an opinion. Even if he is a 34.5% 3pt shooter as opposed to a 36% 3pt shooter, that means he is still extremely capable from 3.

If NBA teams get a look at all this data Romeo may well drop clear to the middle of next years lottery picks. Probably right behind Eastern.

If NBA teams get a look at all this data Romeo may well drop clear to the middle of next years lottery picks. Probably right behind Eastern.

This guy literally went undrafted a month ago. What were the concerns? The guy couldn't shoot in college.

Notice he's ranked 5th in his class, exactly where Romeo is ranked.

1st Team:

Carsen Edwards
Ethan Happ
James Palmer Jr.
Juwan Morgan
Tyler Cook

2nd Team:

Anthony Cowan
Charles Matthews
Romeo Langford
Cassius Winston
Isaiah Roby

All Freshman:

Romeo
Jalen Smith
Brazdeikis
Dosunmu
Wiggins

These are almost mine except I look for a big year for Winston and would bump Tyler Cook.

Obvious we are bias on Romeo and it’s a rivalry. We have the right coach to take us where we expect. I think this will be IUs deepest team since maybe the Knight era. I think we will take some lumps early but I think Hunter will be better than we even advertised. I love Romeos game because it doesn’t rely on the 3 but he is good enough to keep them honest. And if he was on Purdue I’m sure Purdue fans would be just as excited as we are. Both teams have question marks and that’s why the play the games.

And Carsen will be BPOY.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT