ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective

collegehoopsfan123

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2021
Edey, Jones, and Gillis with 3 or more turnovers. And the game still went
to OT in a near loss.

Get those turnovers back down, continue to get balanced scoring
around Zach, and Purdue should be a tough out in the Big Dance.

In my opinion, Purdue needs to be playing in the Elite 8 for the right
to go to the Final Four in 2 weeks.

Edey, Jones, and Gillis with 3 or more turnovers. And the game still went
to OT in a near loss.

Get those turnovers back down, continue to get balanced scoring
around Zach, and Purdue should be a tough out in the Big Dance.

In my opinion, Purdue needs to be playing in the Elite 8 for the right
to go to the Final Four in 2 weeks.
Well I think that's most people's opinion, Painter has to figure out how to make it happen.

I think Purdue is a better team than UW but they gave them way too many chances to win this game today. Every tourney team we face save the first round is going to be a team roughly as talented as UW. Can't have another game like this.

As I look around, I see the other two #1 seeds blowing teams away and I see Purdue barely beating teams down the stretch. We almost lost to msu twice and the mich game was close. We almost lost to UW st home. Uw had 3 guys foul out and we still couldn’t put them away. Our style of play allows other teams to stay close. And in the final so seconds of the game and in overtime, how many times did we just give them a second and third chance

As I look around, I see the other two #1 seeds blowing teams away and I see Purdue barely beating teams down the stretch. We almost lost to msu twice and the mich game was close. We almost lost to UW st home. Uw had 3 guys foul out and we still couldn’t put them away. Our style of play allows other teams to stay close. And in the final so seconds of the game and in overtime, how many times did we just give them a second and third chance
This has been so ignored. The other 1 seeds, who may still lose their tournament finals, have been blowing the hell out of most teams the last month as we have scraped by. But to most that isnt a warning sign at all

Well I think that's most people's opinion, Painter has to figure out how to make it happen.

I think Purdue is a better team than UW but they gave them way too many chances to win this game today. Every tourney team we face save the first round is going to be a team roughly as talented as UW. Can't have another game like this.
It was our sloppy passes that cost us turnovers. Not Painter's fault on this loss.

It was our sloppy passes that cost us turnovers. Not Painter's fault on this loss.
Players and coaches are responsible for every win and every loss.

I'll never understand the idea that somehow Painter or any coach isn't responsible for what happens on the court good or bad.

Of course Painter is responsible. So are the players.

The "players turned it over or missed shots, not painter" has been a repeated line for 2 decades. Literally verbatim.

Painter is the only one that has been a constant in all that time.

I dont want a new coach, painter has built a fantastic program.

What I want is painter to look in the ****ing mirror and accept reaponsibility and grow as a human being and as a coach and make changes to fix the issues HE has caused.

He has done a ton right, but he is the most stubborn coach on the planet and it is 100% affecting this teams ceiling or lack there of

The "players turned it over or missed shots, not painter" has been a repeated line for 2 decades. Literally verbatim.

What I want is painter to look in the ****ing mirror and accept reaponsibility and grow as a human being and as a coach and make changes to fix the issues HE has caused.

He has done a ton right, but he is the most stubborn coach on the planet and it is 100% affecting this teams ceiling or lack there of
How is he stubborn?

How is he stubborn?
Are you serious??

Never playing a zone despite there absolutely being teams and times it would benefit us to be able to do so

Refusing to adapt his recruiting and or offensive system to what works today

Playing guys like morton over others that are way better

Continuing to play TKR alongside edey when it hurts BOTH of what they do best.

Continuing to play furst at backup center instead of tkr or even our other 7 footer when furst looks like he has no interest in bball anymore

Like. Are we serious

It doesn't really seem like Purdue is on the same level as UConn or Houston. People can say they only played 50% but Painter drew up his best inbound play ever and Edey threw it away. It's really gut check time.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
18 1 seeds have lost in the conference tournaments so far

Well maybe you can convince multiple NBA talent players to come here at the same time. If you did then Painter could get them to a Final Four.

To be fair, CMP absolutely blew the D set up on the play that sent it to OT. Between have the NPOY guarding the ball out of bounds to putting Smith on the floor, he has plenty of blame.
He could have given up the 3 for the win. OT was the worst "best case" scenario unless Smith fouled out in OT.

Reactions: northside100
Are you serious??

Never playing a zone despite there absolutely being teams and times it would benefit us to be able to do so

Continuing to play furst at backup center instead of tkr or even our other 7 footer when furst looks like he has no interest in bball anymore

Like. Are we serious
You just told me you haven't watched Purdue basketball this year.

You are so right, Wole. Every year it is the same, center oriented team playing for 2 while thr opposition plays for 3. Early in season, we look great...then teams figure us out. There are no secrets anymore. Coaches know who we are and our tendencies. Teams then challenge our style, and it becomes a dogfight. On a given day, any NCAA team can take us out.
It seems the elite teams of this season have evolved to 2. To win at elite levels today, center oriented won't cut it. I like Zach as much as the next guy, but slashers, shooters, and ELITE athletes are what the winners of today possess. Elite athletes can be trained to play hawking defense. For all the hype of our recruiting class, just don't see the formula for huge success. Prove me wrong,Boilers.

• Haha
Reactions: northside100

Have you not seen any changes this year by him?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Connecticut beat St John's by 5 yesterday, the exact same margin Purdue beat MSU.

Are you serious??

Like. Are we serious
Dude. Did you just start watching today?

Played zone vs NW…kinda worked kinda didn’t.

Next years class is so different than any he has recruited. Do you know anything about them or no?

Morton has averaged like 3 mins a game since Rutgers at home. Heide and Colvin have been taking over his minutes…have you not noticed this?

Edey and TKR have been one of the most productive lineups we have. Gillis and edey are more productive but Gillis plays 25 mins and TKR plays 15.

Furst is more mobile than Berg, and is what you want painter to recruit. But teams don’t usually play 10 guys all year.

Sure painter has his faults, but at least be aware of these things before you post about them.

You are so right, Wole. Every year it is the same, center oriented team playing for 2 while thr opposition plays for 3. Early in season, we look great...then teams figure us out. There are no secrets anymore. Coaches know who we are and our tendencies. Teams then challenge our style, and it becomes a dogfight. On a given day, any NCAA team can take us out.
It seems the elite teams of this season have evolved to 2. To win at elite levels today, center oriented won't cut it. I like Zach as much as the next guy, but slashers, shooters, and ELITE athletes are what the winners of today possess. Elite athletes can be trained to play hawking defense. For all the hype of our recruiting class, just don't see the formula for huge success. Prove me wrong,Boilers.
What hype for which recruiting class? Next years or the one right now that had a top 5 lotto pick leave 2 years ago that would fit the exact player you described?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Dude. Did you just start watching today?

Played zone vs NW…kinda worked kinda didn’t.

Next years class is so different than any he has recruited. Do you know anything about them or no?

Morton has averaged like 3 mins a game since Rutgers at home. Heide and Colvin have been taking over his minutes…have you not noticed this?

Edey and TKR have been one of the most productive lineups we have. Gillis and edey are more productive but Gillis plays 25 mins and TKR plays 15.

Furst is more mobile than Berg, and is what you want painter to recruit. But teams don’t usually play 10 guys all year.

Sure painter has his faults, but at least be aware of these things before you post about them.
Morton got 4 minutes today. Lowest on the team. Clearly has not been watching this year. And he's clearly ranting about a game he didn't watch.

He was protecting the arc. I'm ok with it.

He spoke about it post-game, and why ZE was there......also said the ball went where you'd want.....guys just didn't challenge enough - almost like thinking being up three. Didn't execute and force a tougher shot.

I don't mind the strategy either.....but why the lack of focus throughout the game is a fair question IMO, which I didn't hear asked.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
He could have given up the 3 for the win. OT was the worst "best case" scenario unless Smith fouled out in OT.
I mean the guy he was guarding is horrible at threes and he's not moving to block anyone else's three attempt.

I think it was a bad call and not something we do very often. I probably also don't put Braden on Hepburn and risk a fifth foul or make Braden hesitant to guard for that fear.

I'd probably have put Edey on their fourth worst shooter from three but shaded to the paint. Switch all screens, don't reach, if they nail a contested three or tough two so be it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
50 points total at half. Yikes. Looks like a B1G game!
Yep. And over in the B12 championship game, mighty Houston has exactly 28 points with 7:53min to go in the second half. Getting waxed by 20+. They've scored a total of 5 whopping points in the second half.

I wouldn't trade places with them for a hot second.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlotteSimmons
Players and coaches are responsible for every win and every loss.

I'll never understand the idea that somehow Painter or any coach isn't responsible for what happens on the court good or bad.

Of course Painter is responsible. So are the players.
Players are. Painter isn't making those stupid passes. How is that on him? Same with missed free throws

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT