ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective

As I look around, I see the other two #1 seeds blowing teams away and I see Purdue barely beating teams down the stretch. We almost lost to msu twice and the mich game was close. We almost lost to UW st home. Uw had 3 guys foul out and we still couldn’t put them away. Our style of play allows other teams to stay close. And in the final so seconds of the game and in overtime, how many times did we just give them a second and third chance
Iowa State 69
Houston 41

And, in what friggin' universe did Wisconsin almost beat Purdue at Mackey? Come on, Wole, that was a 16-point game when Painter started the senior day parade with two minutes left.

Let's at least keep the hyperbolic hot-take diatribes in the realm of reality.

Good to watch Houston get brought down to earth today. A 1 point loss in overtime doesn’t look as bad to me now.
Iowas State would have put it to us today. Got beat by Wisconsin who’s not all that.

To be fair, CMP absolutely blew the D set up on the play that sent it to OT. Between have the NPOY guarding the ball out of bounds to putting Smith on the floor, he has plenty of blame.
It should never have got to that position. That said right or wrong Zach was on the trigger man and his only job was to not let the pass go through him or down on his left side. His job was to force the ball back away from the basket similar to Wahl giving Purdue fits with his D on the triggerman, but Zach failed or this wouldn't happen. Now at the Time I was thinking Caleb on the Trigger man and Zach more in space, but Zach was NOT to let the ball go towards the basket with maybe only 2 seconds on it. I'm thinking the thought was Braden's quickness in helping force the ball out farther than what Zach would do, but Zach didn't do his number 1 job and that led to the ball in Hepburns hands going in for a layup. Had you played with Caleb and Zach and a guy got loose for an easy shot on the perimeter with two bigs...that would have been the concern. had you replaced Zach with Caleb on the triggerman and Caleb didn't do his job, then people would wonder why Caleb was in there. It was an attempt to prevent a problem as opposed to trying to address a problem, but didn't work

There are a LOT of coaches depending on time that will use a big man on the triggerman to try to control where the ball goes. I told Kim before the out of bounds that the key was the defense on the triggerman. There were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many things before that if not blown on the offensive side that Purdue could have easily won. Not sure where Zach's head was with the tough guy stuff. Just win the damn game and people will know how tough you are. BTW, I don't think Braden was 100%. I think he needed to play, but was not as explosive as usual..which we may understand.

Last edited:
As I look around, I see the other two #1 seeds blowing teams away and I see Purdue barely beating teams down the stretch. We almost lost to msu twice and the mich game was close. We almost lost to UW st home. Uw had 3 guys foul out and we still couldn’t put them away. Our style of play allows other teams to stay close. And in the final so seconds of the game and in overtime, how many times did we just give them a second and third chance
I see Houston losing by 30

Reactions: Dryfly88
My biggest complaint about Matt. Heide and Colvin should be a much bigger presence. We have issues and yes you can point to a play here or there but he's all year to get those boys ready and he hasnt pr doesn't want to.
If only it was that easy.

I want my freshmen 4-star players to be competitive on my top rated team. I think I'll just force them to make it happen.

If Izzo had thought about this, he could have had his 5-star recruits lead his team to an undefeated season.

Reactions: tjreese
Iowa St always seems like a program that comes alive in March

They are 6-0 in the Big XII Championship Title Game and have won five of the last 10 Big XII tournaments ('14, '15, '17, '19, and '24). Haven't had as much success in the NCAA Tournament, though. Had a great game with Purdue in second round 2017 - Boilers (4-seed) pulled it out over ISU (5-seed) in a wild 80-76 game after losing a second-half 19-pt lead.

Last edited:
Houston scored 23 points in the first half and 18 in the 2nd. For a total of 41. They can’t score at times and could be their downfall. Everyone has their faults. UConn struggled for quite some time with Marquette that didn’t have their first team all American point guard.

If only it was that easy.

I want my freshmen 4-star players to be competitive on my top rated team. I think I'll just force them to make it happen.

If Izzo had thought about this, he could have had his 5-star recruits lead his team to an undefeated season.
Heide is in perfect form right now and Colvin just played really good mins over the last month. They are not the 1-4 options to score first. They are somewhere in the 5-8 scoring option. They are playing their roles well and Myles has gotten better and better.

Do you want them to be starting or something?

I agree that Braden was not at 100%…which obviously made a difference. I also would have had Zach in the paint to prevent a high percentage shot such as the tying layup at the buzzer. On the offensive end in the 2nd half…too many turnovers. Also contributing to the loss was Zach having to sit 13 minutes in the 1st half because of a 2nd early foul from a stupid technical. Don’t make it a pissing match on the court…let your play do your talking. Hopefully…Purdue plays better than today in the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:
Heide is in perfect form right now and Colvin just played really good mins over the last month. They are not the 1-4 options to score first. They are somewhere in the 5-8 scoring option. They are playing their roles well and Myles has gotten better and better.

Andy's reference to Matt not developing Myles and Cam and he pointed out that Izzo hasn't developed his 5 stars. Development like execution depends on the player as well. Rarely is there someone trying to prevent a student from getting A's but not all do. That player has a say

I like that Painter got Colvin meaningful minutes this BTT. Would have been interesting for a 3rd match with Illinois, but they came up short today.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Iowas State would have put it to us today. Got beat by Wisconsin who’s not all that.
You don’t really know that though. They have gameplan for Zach and this would have been the first time they had played us all year. Wisconsin knows us inside and out and it was the third time this year and second time in a week.

I agree that Braden was not at 100%…which obviously made a difference. I also would have had Zach in the paint to prevent a high percentage shot such as the tying layup at the buzzer. On the offensive end in the 2nd half…too many turnovers. Also contributing to the loss was Zach having to sit 13 minutes in the 1st half because of a 2nd early foul from a stupid technical. Don’t make it a pissing match on the court…let your play do the talking. Hopefully…Purdue plays better than today in the NCAA Tournament.
That is valid, but normally when a single basket makes a difference such as a win or tie coaches many times defend all players rather than hoping one left open while Zach is in the lane doesn't make an unguarded basket.

I'm guessing that Wisconsin had a small lineup and quickness in with 2 seconds (I would need to see it again to know for certain). If true and I expect it was, would you want Zach in space with 5 out behind the arc...and if not...one is left open for an uncontested shot if Zach is under the basket? Under that scenario Zach at 7'4" has a guy with 3 ft at least between possible to defend without putting Zach in space and should force the ball making the guy go away from the basket and not putting Zach in space. Zach isn't the quickest on his feet. Zach didn't do his job!

BTW it isn't the first time Matt has played it this way. The last time it worked

It should never have got to that position. That said right or wrong Zach was on the trigger man and his only job was to not let the pass go through him or down on his left side. His job was to force the ball back away from the basket similar to Wahl giving Purdue fits with his D on the triggerman, but Zach failed or this wouldn't happen. Now at the Time I was thinking Caleb on the Trigger man and Zach more in space, but Zach was NOT to let the ball go towards the basket with maybe only 2 seconds on it. I'm thinking the thought was Braden's quickness in helping force the ball out farther than what Zach would do, but Zach didn't do his number 1 job and that led to the ball in Hepburns hands going in for a layup. Had you played with Caleb and Zach and a guy got loose for an easy shot on the perimeter with two bigs...that would have been the concern. had you replaced Zach with Caleb on the triggerman and Caleb didn't do his job, then people would wonder why Caleb was in there. It was an attempt to prevent a problem as opposed to trying to address a problem, but didn't work

There are a LOT of coaches depending on time that will use a big man on the triggerman to try to control where the ball goes. I told Kim before the out of bounds that the key was the defense on the triggerman. There were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many things before that if not blown on the offensive side that Purdue could have easily won. Not sure where Zach's head was with the tough guy stuff. Just win the damn game and people will know how tough you are. BTW, I don't think Braden was 100%. I think he needed to play, but was not as explosive as usual..which we may understand.
The fact that they inbounded the ball 40 feet from the hoop, with just 2.5 seconds left, and managed to get an uncontested layup says that yes, it indeed was an awful strategy by Painter. Why have Edey on the triggerman at all when he's going to stand 5-6 feet back and not present any actual challenge to them getting the ball inbounds? Just a head scratching scheme all the way around.

Reactions: Gesysp
The fact that they inbounded the ball 40 feet from the hoop, with just 2.5 seconds left, and managed to get an uncontested layup says that yes, it indeed was an awful strategy by Painter. Why have Edey on the triggerman at all when he's going to stand 5-6 feet back and not present any actual challenge to them getting the ball inbounds? Just a head scratching scheme all the way around.
No it doesn't say that at all. The execution was bad. Now I laid out what happened and the thought process. Do you want to counter the thought process or say it was bad because it didn't work due to poor execution? What was you counter thought process? Were you going to take Zach out and if not where were you going to put him?

Ya, that's right. Wisconsin's ranked #21 in the NET for no reason at all.
I guess that’s me. Thought they were real good earlier, but not so much lately. Now they have a signature win to boost the ranking.

No it doesn't say that at all. The execution was bad. Now I laid out what happened and the thought process. Do you want to counter the thought process or say it was bad because it didn't work due to poor execution? What was you counter thought process? Were you going to take Zach out and if not where were you going to put him?
And let’s hope the team learns from it and doesn’t let it happen again, yeah? I mean that’s all you can do at this point. Hope painter and staff review it, learn from it and teach the guys what to do better.

You don’t really know that though. They have gameplan for Zach and this would have been the first time they had played us all year. Wisconsin knows us inside and out and it was the third time this year and second time in a week.
That’s true, but Purdue knows Wisconsin well too. I thought they were a lot better than them.

I guess that’s me. Thought they were real good earlier, but not so much lately. Now they have a signature win to boost the ranking.
They finally were hitting threes. I am not as concerned with the loss. We played poor, shot below our avg from 3 and weren’t great at FTs when needed. We beat ourselves more so than Wisconsin beating us.

Hepburn fouled Zach twice on the inbound play where Zach caught it and Braden was streaking up the sideline. Braden would have laid it in and we would have won. Instead, refs blow the call and ball to Wisconsin. It happens, it’s basketball and the refs for the BTT have been awful all tourney. Still had a chance to win though and that’s all you can ask for in the NCAAT if you play that bad. Hope we can execute and shoot the 3 ball better.

Just glad we got outta Minnesota with no
Injuries and are able to get some rest. Hope Braden will be 100% by the first game.

Houston got blown out.
Did you watch the game? We didn’t even play that hard. It’s a meaningless game and frankly I didn’t want us to get beat up for another 40 minutes before the tourney. You notice that we won the big ten by 3 games as well and we blew out many teams along the way? For every close game you mentioned we had blowouts too.

Wahl is a 27% three point shooter, was 0-4 today, and scored 4 whole points on 2/9 shooting. If he inbounds the ball and gets it right back to take the potential game-winning 30 footer, well GG and I'll take that 10/10 times over what actually happened. Edey was inexplicably sagging way off of him already, so he may as well have sagged all the way to the elbow/outer lane area and given himself a chance to take away the drive.

But, look to next week now, regroup, and get Smith healthy.

Ya, but Wisconsin was #21 coming into today's game. Sure, they hit a February rough patch--Purdue contributed to it. But, that was a legit team that beat Purdue today, in overtime, regardless of how anybody wants to spin it here.

And let’s hope the team learns from it and doesn’t let it happen again, yeah? I mean that’s all you can do at this point. Hope painter and staff review it, learn from it and teach the guys what to do better.
problem is Matt has done this before with Zach. I do not think Zach has been as mentally sharp as needed.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
problem is Matt has done this before with Zach. I do not think Zach has been as mentally sharp as needed.
Well not sure if it was all the grabbing and pushing of him by sparty and sconny, but he doesn’t have to play in the B1G ever again 😂

Hope he can mentally move past it and be healthy and ready to go for the next game. One game season coming up and just need to survive and advance. Whatever it takes at this point.

Well not sure if it was all the grabbing and pushing of him by sparty and sconny, but he doesn’t have to play in the B1G ever again 😂

Hope he can mentally move past it and be healthy and ready to go for the next game. One game season coming up and just need to survive and advance. Whatever it takes at this point.

im-free-andy-dufresne.gif

Wahl is a 27% three point shooter, was 0-4 today, and scored 4 whole points on 2/9 shooting. If he inbounds the ball and gets it right back to take the potential game-winning 30 footer, well GG and I'll take that 10/10 times over what actually happened. Edey was inexplicably sagging way off of him already, so he may as well have sagged all the way to the elbow/outer lane area and given himself a chance to take away the drive.

But, look to next week now, regroup, and get Smith healthy.
Go back to the situation at hand. Wahl had fouled out minutes before, he is a non issue, but would be quicker on a dive than Zach. I can look, but I'm pretty confident that Gard went small with 2 seconds.

Now, what do you do with Zach if you don't take him out? Do you want him at the arc and his man much quicker and smaller diving to the rim? Let's pretend that Wahls is out there. Does Zach let him screen for a shooter since Zach is not on the arc? Do you go with 5 guards? Do you want Fletch defending in space and Zach not in the area code? Maybe Myles...do you trust him in that situation? How about Braden with four fouls do you want his man to get the ball easy? What do you do? You've had 15 seconds to think about it. Now you thought about your personnel for 15 seconds. You have 30 second to get them focused and talking about switches and communication as well as Zach to do what needs done based upon where the ball is. Time out is over. All Zach had to do was force the ball back and the game was over

Last edited:

Check out the post I was responding to.

Go back to the situation at hand. Wahl had fouled out minutes before, he is a non issue, but would be quicker on a dive than Zach. I can look, but I'm pretty confident that Gard went small with 2 seconds.

Now, what do you do with Zach if you don't take him out? Do you want him at the arc and his man much quicker and smaller diving to the rim? Do you go with 5 guards? Do you want Fletch defending in space and Zach not in the area code? Maybe Myles...do you trust him in that situation? How about Braden with four fouls do you want his man to get the ball easy? What do you do? You've had 15 seconds to think about it. Now you thought about your personnel for 15 seconds. You have 30 second to get them focused and talking about switches and communication as well as Zach to do what needs done based upon where the ball is. Time out is over.
I highly suggest you rewatch the final play of regulation if you're delusional enough to think that wasn't Wahl inbounding the ball. Gard indeed went small. But he kept Wahl in as the inbounder to bait Painter into pulling Edey 35 feet away from the hoop. And it worked like a charm.

Players are. Painter isn't making those stupid passes. How is that on him? Same with missed free throws
He's the coach. If he's not responsible for their play then why give him credit when they do well? He's not playing for them then either.

I highly suggest you rewatch the final play of regulation if you're delusional enough to think that wasn't Wahl inbounding the ball. Gard indeed went small. But he kept Wahl in as the inbounder to bait Painter into pulling Edey 35 feet away from the hoop. And it worked like a charm.
If so that does NOT take away Zach's job which is the same for every out of bounds defender under the other teams basket in defending the ball. Do not let it go where you don't want it. This is a basic expectation that starts much younger than high school. Matt I believe was out of timeouts and playing the worse thing possible being a tie should have resulted in an OT win for Purdue. A 3 ball beats Purdue, but overtime against a team that has played one extra game and has fouled out some players should have been in Purdue's favor. When the TOs were exhausted and the teams walk out and Wahl as you say is now taking it out of bound Zach still has him and if Zach does his job the game is over.

As far as we know the read may have been what does Zach do? Purdue can't dictate who takes teh ball out if Zach is a read. If Zach plays the usual one man zone then we now have an extra screener as I stated previously on the perimeter to get a shooter a good look that might go for a 3 ball since the rule of thumb is go for the win if all things are not equal and they were not, Purdue had some advantages. So no matter what Zach did they could use his lack of quickness against him. Course if he does what is expected...none of this happens it is that simple. With all the errors of players in this game to pretend that Zach not doing his job was bad coaching when probably most if not all coaches would have played it the same way is foolish. BTW, why did you have to change your name to post? You probably have a collage of interesting takes under the name your refused to use

Last edited:
I agree that Braden was not at 100%…which obviously made a difference. I also would have had Zach in the paint to prevent a high percentage shot such as the tying layup at the buzzer. On the offensive end in the 2nd half…too many turnovers. Also contributing to the loss was Zach having to sit 13 minutes in the 1st half because of a 2nd early foul from a stupid technical. Don’t make it a pissing match on the court…let your play do your talking. Hopefully…Purdue plays better than today in the NCAA Tournament.
When you look at the losses...those could have been easy wins...and then some of the preconference could have been loses. For the most part Purdue is competitive with a chance to win all their games except OSU and as I said previously there may have been a couple of issues that led to that play

When you look at the losses...those could have been easy wins...and then some of the preconference could have been loses. For the most part Purdue is competitive with a chance to win all their games except OSU and as I said previously there may have been a couple of issues that led to that play

Think you mean Nebraska, TJ?

Purdue did escape a couple of times this season - Tennessee and Northwestern (at home), particularly off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT