ADVERTISEMENT

Painter...

Could have at least put in Tre at the 3 minute mark when up 17......instead waited until the 1:13 mark......like to see more from this kid ... he sure can rebound. Might be some situations where we will need his mass down the road.

I agree, Tre should be seeing the floor, especially in blow outs and even a few minutes when Matt or Boudreaux need a break. He appeared very disinterested on the bench. We are wasting a year with him so far.

I agree, Tre should be seeing the floor, especially in blow outs and even a few minutes when Matt or Boudreaux need a break. He appeared very disinterested on the bench. We are wasting a year with him so far.
Just curious . . . if a player appears disinterested on the bench, should a coach play him to get him interested? --- alternatively, if a players appears disinterested on the bench, should a coach play him at all ...

Just curious . . . if a player appears disinterested on the bench, should a coach play him to get him interested? --- alternatively, if a players appears disinterested on the bench, should a coach play him at all ...
I don’t have an answer. That said, typically players are up and cheering on the team. If he’s not doing that it shows concern. That’s all. If he’s not getting minutes he needs to step it up.

I don’t have an answer. That said, typically players are up and cheering on the team. If he’s not doing that it shows concern. That’s all. If he’s not getting minutes he needs to step it up.
That's a fine answer.

He had a nice few minutes today. One time a bit slow where he was on the perimeter and Grady helped under the basket and when Tre recovered...Grady was a bit late on a perimeter basket. Still, overall good minutes for Tre today

Reactions: PU pit bull
My biggest criticism of Painter is that he doesn't play his young players with the highest potential enough, especially early in the season. He favors players like Grady Eifert. Grady is as good as he will ever be, but apparently, Grady has "earned" his playing time especially since he was a walk-on. I can guarantee you that Purdue will not make a Final Four or win a Big Ten Championship with players like Grady Eifert. While the approach of making players earn their playing time helps Painter get the most out of his players, it hinders him when it comes to recruiting. If I were a top recruit, I would not be happy at all if I came to Purdue and had to ride the pine behind Grady Eifert. Also, a top recruit doesn't want to play with Grady Eifert and have to pick up his slack when he is overmatched.

If the expectation isn't to compete for a Big Ten Championship and Final Four every year, the Painter needs to adjust his strategy some. In order to allow the highest potential players to develop, Painter needs to concede that there will be seasons for developing the higher potential players. That means there will be mistakes made and games lost that should be won. One could argue that the Baby Boilers became so good because they were allowed to play as freshmen and learn through their mistakes. Will that happen? Probably not. Painter seems set on winning his way and only his way.

Reactions: LionBulldog83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT