ADVERTISEMENT

Painter...

SegregationOfDuties

True Freshman
Apr 3, 2018
I just do not understand why Wheeler, Hunter Jr., and Trevion did not get more minutes. Nojel could have helped our team out significantly more had he been given more opportunities (a longer leash) last year. If we are going to let Cline shoot 3-12 then why not have the freshmen, who are more athletic and have greater upside, get more minutes. They don't need to all play at once but surely they wouldn't have been any worse than some of the rest of our team.

I think Wheeler and Nojel have benefitted from a year of development. You need a time machine to transport those guys (now with that development and coaching) back to the 2017-2018 season. Those guys did not play that well last year. To think otherwise is not recognizing the huge impact of a year of coaching under Painter.

I was wondering that myself too. Clearly Painter is letting Carson stuff his stats as he emptied the bench but kept Boogie in.

I just do not understand why Wheeler, Hunter Jr., and Trevion did not get more minutes. Nojel could have helped our team out significantly more had he been given more opportunities (a longer leash) last year. If we are going to let Cline shoot 3-12 then why not have the freshmen, who are more athletic and have greater upside, get more minutes. They don't need to all play at once but surely they wouldn't have been any worse than some of the rest of our team.
Our 5 position combined for 30 points and 11 rebounds and you're complaining that Trevion Williams didn't get more minutes? Seriously?

Our 5 position combined for 30 points and 11 rebounds and you're complaining that Trevion Williams didn't get more minutes? Seriously?

Well said.
I was wondering that myself too. Clearly Painter is letting Carson stuff his stats as he emptied the bench but kept Boogie in.

No, Painter is not leaving in Carsen to "stuff his stats." If you seriously believe that you do not know Painter.

Well said.

No, Painter is not leaving in Carsen to "stuff his stats." If you seriously believe that you do not know Painter.
Not to argue this particular assertion about Carson, but didn’t Painter leave Biggie in to get double doubles a few times even though there was no obvious reason too?

Reactions: bled1720
Not to argue this particular assertion about Carson, but didn’t Painter leave Biggie in to get double doubles a few times even though there was no obvious reason too?

I think painter was aware of double doubles for sure. I think that's good when you are tying to recruiting stars. People seem to be into this data stuff these days.
It also doubles as solidifying the win.

That being said, I think sliding tre in at 3 minute mark would be good. The last minute is pretty meaningless. He might have if ball state hadn't cut it to 9 though. They both played more in Tuesday do let's see what happens. Last year was a rare circumstance of seniors

I think everyone needs minutes together including Cline, Nojel, Evan and Matt. It’s early and they still need to get “things” figured out. I’m not going to second guess Painter at this point regarding the rotation.

Reactions: northside100
Could have at least put in Tre at the 3 minute mark when up 17......instead waited until the 1:13 mark......like to see more from this kid ... he sure can rebound. Might be some situations where we will need his mass down the road.
I was hopeful around that time too...maybe Matt couldn't think with the crowd yelling Luuuuuuuuce?
Tre will grab more and more time down the road I think. I wonder if losing 50lbs so quickly has created some playing adjustments as well? Anyway, around the 3 minute mark I wondered as well. With all the talk of redshirt....it is a question of just how much time does he get this year? I'm hopeful he finds the court as the year goes on...against those physical, big bodied inside teams anyway....

I was very happy with the minutes Wheeler and Hunter got last night. They both played relatively well. Can't speak to Williams.

Could have at least put in Tre at the 3 minute mark when up 17......instead waited until the 1:13 mark......like to see more from this kid ... he sure can rebound. Might be some situations where we will need his mass down the road.
I do see what you mean. However, when I think about it, I get a different perspective. If Haarms and E-Bo were more experienced, then yes, give minutes to the third string guy. Unfortunately, they are not and need the minutes to improve. I think you have to get your inexperienced first and second string guys the time before you split minutes with the number three guy. Just my take on it.

:cool:

There are only so many minutes to go around and as mathboy said above (which I am paraphrasing), there are people in front of Tre that need the exposure and experience now. Especially against a pretty decent team like BSU.

Let's not over think this gents, we're two games in and there is a lot of basketball yet to go. It does seem like every season there is someone that this forum thinks needs more minutes, you can set your watch to it :).

I think Cline does a lot of “glue guy” type of things that are important for this young team. So regardless of his shooting I think it’s good he gets minutes.

Having said that, I agree that it’s going to be important to get Williams and Wheeler more involved because I just don’t see certain other guys being able to be effective (unless they are on fire from 3) when we go up against tournament type of frontline competition.

My biggest complaint is regarding Cline. If he is going to shoot 3-12 then I'd rather see more of Hunter and Wheeler.

This is the stock complaint on Cline but he does seem to be more aggressive and well rounded this year. He clearly is much more valuable when he's on but unlike years past he seems to be better than other options even when he's off. I didnt think he was going to shoot 70 percent so he is going to have some nights like that. Seemed like all of his shots where hitting the front of the rim, which makes sense for the first real taxing game

Reactions: Do Dah Day
There are only so many minutes to go around and as mathboy said above (which I am paraphrasing), there are people in front of Tre that need the exposure and experience now. Especially against a pretty decent team like BSU.

Let's not over think this gents, we're two games in and there is a lot of basketball yet to go. It does seem like every season there is someone that this forum thinks needs more minutes, you can set your watch to it :).
Purdue just needs a bunch of OT games they win and it will all work out!

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG
I think Cline does a lot of “glue guy” type of things that are important for this young team. So regardless of his shooting I think it’s good he gets minutes.

Having said that, I agree that it’s going to be important to get Williams and Wheeler more involved because I just don’t see certain other guys being able to be effective (unless they are on fire from 3) when we go up against tournament type of frontline competition.
Even if he is not shooting well, he does a good job on D away from the ball, can rebound and always stretches the D with his threat which makes it easier for others. He also is putting it on the floor more

My biggest complaint is regarding Cline. If he is going to shoot 3-12 then I'd rather see more of Hunter and Wheeler.
Cline had 9 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds. No one really hit anything. It was a close game for about 25 minutes, you're going to play your experienced senior over freshmen. As for Nojel getting more opportunities last year, did you watch any of our games? PJ was clearly the better choice because he was a great 3-point shooter, didn't turn it over and had played with those guys for years. Baffling, the things that people will complain about. Unreal.

Cline had 9 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds. No one really hit anything. It was a close game for about 25 minutes, you're going to play your experienced senior over freshmen. As for Nojel getting more opportunities last year, did you watch any of our games? PJ was clearly the better choice because he was a great 3-point shooter, didn't turn it over and had played with those guys for years. Baffling, the things that people will complain about. Unreal.
You are a troll. Nojel and Pj could have played together it's not as if they are mutually exclusive. Ryan Cline is not good it's that simple.

You are a troll. Nojel and Pj could have played together it's not as if they are mutually exclusive. Ryan Cline is not good it's that simple.
You are quickly getting the reputation of being one of the worst posters here. You don't understand the game but like to throw shit out here to see what sticks, right?
  • ThreeTwan is in no way a troll.
  • Cline does a hell of a lot more than just shoot 3's. Stop running your mouth off just looking at an after-the-game stat sheet
  • Why would you want to put PJ and Nojel on the court at the same time last year? Who would you have pulled, Mathias? Edwards? Haas?
  • You need to recognize that the Nojel you watch now is not the same player he was last year. He has had a year of experience, conditioning, and coaching at the highest level.
Please stop while you are ahead, and stop being so combative with anyone who disagrees with your opinions.

I could see hunter getting all of Sasha’s minutes. Not sure SS is there athletically for this level.
Players like him become very valuable as upperclassmen. As long they have sound basketball fundamentals, which it it seems he does, with experience they become very good college players. heck look at Cline this year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You are quickly getting the reputation of being one of the worst posters here. You don't understand the game but like to throw shit out here to see what sticks, right?
  • Cline does a hell of a lot more than just shoot 3's. Stop running your mouth off just looking at an after-the-game stat sheet
  • Why would you want to put PJ and Nojel on the court at the same time last year? Who would you have pulled, Mathias? Edwards? Haas?
  • You need to recognize that the Nojel you watch now is not the same player he was last year. He has had a year of experience, conditioning, and coaching at the highest level.
Please stop while you are ahead, and stop being so combative with anyone who disagrees with your opinions.

You hit on an important part concerning stat sheets many times they are a reflection of the situations created by the coach. Individual stats are not just related to each individual, too many missed this.

Ryan Cline shoots the three ball and is an above average passer. However, he never drives and is basically ineffective if he tries (note his 3% is basically the same as his FG%). Cline has slow feet and is not a good defender against athletic teams.

I agree that Nojel has improved but his rebounding prowess and defense were witnessed multiple times by all Purdue fans last year. His biggest strengths are qualities that can be used effectively even as a freshman.

Ryan Cline is basically the definition of one dimensional and if you cannot realize that then I cannot help you. Painter can play guys like him and Eifert all day long but all it does is stunt freshman growth and cap our ceiling.

Reactions: LionBulldog83
Ryan Cline shoots the three ball and is an above average passer. However, he never drives and is basically ineffective if he tries (note his 3% is basically the same as his FG%). Cline has slow feet and is not a good defender against athletic teams.

I agree that Nojel has improved but his rebounding prowess and defense were witnessed multiple times by all Purdue fans last year. His biggest strengths are qualities that can be used effectively even as a freshman.

Ryan Cline is basically the definition of one dimensional and if you cannot realize that then I cannot help you. Painter can play guys like him and Eifert all day long but all it does is stunt freshman growth and cap our ceiling.
Just curious. Have you watched Cline play this year? I understand the criticisms from the past 3 years, but have you watched him yet this year? The reason I ask is that I have seen him drive to the basket in all 3 events this year. His first basket against Ball State was a drive to the basket.

Just curious. Have you watched Cline play this year? I understand the criticisms from the past 3 years, but have you watched him yet this year? The reason I ask is that I have seen him drive to the basket in all 3 events this year. His first basket against Ball State was a drive to the basket.
Yes. I recall that he had at least two field goals inside the three point line. One was a fast break layup and the other was an unorthodox move from the left wing in the second half. He has scored from inside the paint in the past but against good competition I do not expect much if anything from him as far as driving goes.

His feet are still incredibly slow and anyone that watches tape would agree. I am not trying to say he isn't a D1 athlete or that he has no place on Purdue but I just don't think he should get as many minutes as he does.

Yes. I recall that he had at least two field goals inside the three point line. One was a fast break layup and the other was an unorthodox move from the left wing in the second half. He has scored from inside the paint in the past but against good competition I do not expect much if anything from him as far as driving goes.

His feet are still incredibly slow and anyone that watches tape would agree. I am not trying to say he isn't a D1 athlete or that he has no place on Purdue but I just don't think he should get as many minutes as he does.
he may be a limited athlete, but he is a damn good basketball player. Great awareness, great shooter. experienced and heady.

I agree with both of these points regarding Cline and add that I wonder if Painter is just giving him some time to heat up from outside.

Please, please, please let's not refight the arguments about Nojel's minutes last year. Painter rode a veteran senior class, and Purdue won 30 games. Can't we just say that through two games this year, Nojel is showing signs of having a break-out season and leave it at that?

I've gone back and forth about Cline throughout his career. At first, he seemed like a slow and stiff guy who was either great or terrible from outside. But, I'll give Ryan this much---he has become a much more complete player over the past couple years. He's not a Kenny Lowe caliber defender, but he is a mature, veteran college basketball player. Purdue needs his presence on the floor right now.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I agree with both of these points regarding Cline and add that I wonder if Painter is just giving him some time to heat up from outside.

Please, please, please let's not refight the arguments about Nojel's minutes last year. Painter rode a veteran senior class, and Purdue won 30 games. Can't we just say that through two games this year, Nojel is showing signs of having a break-out season and leave it at that?

I think you're going to see teams sag off NE when he has the ball and not allow him to get going to the rim or get into the paint. He has to prove to be a threat from outside for teams to risk a blow by.

ADVERTISEMENT