ADVERTISEMENT

Painter...

I just do not understand why Wheeler, Hunter Jr., and Trevion did not get more minutes. Nojel could have helped our team out significantly more had he been given more opportunities (a longer leash) last year. If we are going to let Cline shoot 3-12 then why not have the freshmen, who are more athletic and have greater upside, get more minutes. They don't need to all play at once but surely they wouldn't have been any worse than some of the rest of our team.
Thank you for this post...…

You made it easy for me to put you on ignore so I do not need to read your nit-picking posts all season and actually enjoy the effort these guys are putting forth.

Boiler Up!

I think you're going to see teams sag off NE when he has the ball and not allow him to get going to the rim or get into the paint. He has to prove to be a threat from outside for teams to risk a blow by.
Lots of easy ways to combat that. One is a quick dribble hand off to Carsen or Cline for an uncontested three.

Lots of easy ways to combat that. One is a quick dribble hand off to Carsen or Cline for an uncontested three.
Then why didn't we do that with Kramer or Ray Davis? They were big guards who couldn't shoot either.

Then why didn't we do that with Kramer or Ray Davis? They were big guards who couldn't shoot either.
The upside is that I think that Nojel is a much better offensive rebounder and much tougher to handle inside than either Kramer or Davis. He doesn’t need to blow past his man if he can isolate a smaller guard inside.

Are you saying that Painter never had those guys adjust for the defense they were seeing? I think Painter is good at making those adjustments. Are you also saying those guys were a liability, because I will take either today in a heartbeat? Weaknesses can easily be overcome as long as the player realizes them and he is not selfish. From what I have seen, Nojel is in the mode of the two you listed in terms of not being selfish.

Are you saying that Painter never had those guys adjust for the defense they were seeing? I think Painter is good at making those adjustments. Are you also saying those guys were a liability, because I will take either today in a heartbeat? Weaknesses can easily be overcome as long as the player realizes them and he is not selfish. From what I have seen, Nojel is in the mode of the two you listed in terms of not being selfish.

Kramer and Davis played really hard, were great defenders, etc, but they were both really limited offensively and neither was a threat to hit outside shots with any consistency. When your 2 guard isn't a threat to shoot, the defense can leave that guy alone and focus more attention elsewhere.
What P player would you consider to be selfish?

You saw a version of what Nojel can do inside against Ball State. If the guard sags too much, NE will end up posting up a smaller player - aka barbecue chicken.

Neither Davis nor Kramer were as skilled as Nojel in the post.

Kramer and Davis played really hard, were great defenders, etc, but they were both really limited offensively and neither was a threat to hit outside shots with any consistency. When your 2 guard isn't a threat to shoot, the defense can leave that guy alone and focus more attention elsewhere.
I really don’t think that Eastern is a player that can be ignored by the defense, especially if Purdue’s front line can demonstrate shooting ability. It was nice to see Haarms hit a three. If Haarms, Boudreaux. Eifert, and Wheeler can hit from outside, it opens up lane for Eastern to work closer to the basket.

Reactions: Fansince72
Sure it would be great if all five guys on the floor could shoot 40% from 3 and still defend and rebound, but it's going to be hard to find that lineup. Again it is not as simple as sagging off a player that can't shoot from 3. Just with simple motion players will get open if someone is "left alone". I don't see many players just stand in the corner in Purdue's offense and let their defender clog up the lane or something. To answer your question, not many as Matt has recruited great team oriented players of late with high basketball IQ. As for recent past I would say Ronnie Johnson was a prime example.

I think you're going to see teams sag off NE when he has the ball and not allow him to get going to the rim or get into the paint. He has to prove to be a threat from outside for teams to risk a blow by.
He doesn't have to shoot much from outside. He will post up and the guard trying to stop him will feel helpless. When someone does come to help, it will create offense for others.

I really don’t think that Eastern is a player that can be ignored by the defense, especially if Purdue’s front line can demonstrate shooting ability. It was nice to see Haarms hit a three. If Haarms, Boudreaux. Eifert, and Wheeler can hit from outside, it opens up lane for Eastern to work closer to the basket.
That's exactly what I said in a previous post. Ideally NE can be a foul drawing machine going to the rim but guys won't have to close hard on him when he's outside. They'll dare him to shoot.

Sure it would be great if all five guys on the floor could shoot 40% from 3 and still defend and rebound, but it's going to be hard to find that lineup. Again it is not as simple as sagging off a player that can't shoot from 3. Just with simple motion players will get open if someone is "left alone". I don't see many players just stand in the corner in Purdue's offense and let their defender clog up the lane or something. To answer your question, not many as Matt has recruited great team oriented players of late with high basketball IQ. As for recent past I would say Ronnie Johnson was a prime example.

Do you think Carsen is a selfish player?

He doesn't have to shoot much from outside. He will post up and the guard trying to stop him will feel helpless. When someone does come to help, it will create offense for others.
It'll be interesting to see how much isolation Painter does with NE on the block.

I’m not sure why so many are worried about my son shooting. I have been watching some of these guys who just got drafted in this years draft 1st round guards or 2nd round players who are PGs tell me how many are lighting it up from the outside 3 point line maybe Tre young is and he isn’t making his consistently. Lonzo ,Sexton shai Alexander Rhondo to name a few and not good 3 point shooters but effective of what they do best why they in the league. Nojel is bigger faster taller athletic than each of those guys I named but nojel can also guard multiple positions 3 of them can’t and some questioning his shooting. I’ll tell you this what the Boston and Atlanta Hawks Svouts and GM told my son was this you check many boxes we looking for size athleticism speed length for a PG who rebounds at a high level for the position can guard the PG position as well as other positions ur good at getting to the basket finishing with either hand and has really good passing skills for a PG. They told my son don’t let ur shooting hinder u your ability to do so many other things offensively and defensively continue to do what u do best work on ur shooting but do what u great and that hasn’t stopped bcuz in that game Marian game and Fairfield game he didn’t score many points or tale 1 shot and yet Purdue won handily. Ball state was a better team by far than those to we handily beat and yet he made the biggest impact in helping beating that team w/o taking 1 shot. Why harp on something that not causing Purdue to loose games but rather harp on what he brings that will help them win games. He’s not shooting bcuz he can’t its bcuz he’s not confident with it yet like shooting his FTs he made 2/3 that’s a start his shot will come when it does teams got problems on there hands. He impacts games with the 10/15 other things he goes than the 1 thing he hasn’t done yet. He can guard any player on the court but many can’t guard him he can make plays no matter were he is on the court why bcuz he can pass to open shooters wait till they start making those 3s. Sag of him won’t stop him from being effective bcuz he can pass see over defenses get out backs steals etc to be a threat offensively so while so many worried about the 1 thing he has yet to do shoot it let’s look at all the other many many things he impacts the game with he can do. 2 games into season and big big games coming up starting Thur he just needs to be nojel doing what he does best to help Purdue win games is what I’ll tell my son.

That's exactly what I said in a previous post. Ideally NE can be a foul drawing machine going to the rim but guys won't have to close hard on him when he's outside. They'll dare him to shoot.
He has a floater game to he knows teams gonna sag date him to shoot he knows the lane Wil be clogged he knows the game still it won’t stop him from being effective nick picking at his shooting is small potatoes he’s still will be a matchup nightmare offensively and defensively for many teams even w/o him shooting the ball.

There very easily could be sag...UNTIL he gets deep enough that you have to belly up on him and he may be in the area then where he is comfortable. You can't let a guy several inches taller than you get within 15 feet and make easy passes or let him get within 8 and go over you either. I hope Nojel continues to work on his shot...because that could bring him big money some day. Still without an outside shot he can score in deep and contribute in many ways. If Purdue doesn't surround him with shooters...then that always hurts a person that facilitates.

In a different era...a different time, there was a player just a bit taller than Nojel and he too was strong and a good athlete. He couldn't shoot (no clock back then) and spent a lot of time just backing into the lane to score over smaller guards...that or passing to his smaller forward Greg in a many cases. Not trying to compare the two at all...just stating that big guards that can't shoot have been effective before. I think Bird was better, but magic was pretty good...even in college when he couldn't shoot. The season is still young...let's hope all players work on their weaknesses...

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
There very easily could be sag...UNTIL he gets deep enough that you have to belly up on him and he may be in the area then where he is comfortable. You can't let a guy several inches taller than you get within 15 feet and make easy passes or let him get within 8 and go over you either. I hope Nojel continues to work on his shot...because that could bring him big money some day. Still without an outside shot he can score in deep and contribute in many ways. If Purdue doesn't surround him with shooters...then that always hurts a person that facilitates.

In a different era...a different time, there was a player just a bit taller than Nojel and he too was strong and a good athlete. He couldn't shoot (no clock back then) and spent a lot of time just backing into the lane to score over smaller guards...that or passing to his smaller forward Greg in a many cases. Not trying to compare the two at all...just stating that big guards that can't shoot have been effective before. I think Bird was better, but magic was pretty good...even in college when he couldn't shoot. The season is still young...let's hope all players work on their weaknesses...
Rhondo ,Sexton lonzo,Alexander how well are they shooting the ball how well did they shooters it in college lonzo shot it well in college but not the pros all have ways they are impacting there teams. All these kids works on there weaknesses and game so does my son and he can shoot it he’s not confident in yet. Nojel will still be effective either way if he don’t make a shot crazy this is still conversations about his shot when he brings so much to this team than his shooting. It’s still 30 games more to be played

Rhondo ,Sexton lonzo,Alexander how well are they shooting the ball how well did they shooters it in college lonzo shot it well in college but not the pros all have ways they are impacting there teams. All these kids works on there weaknesses and game so does my son and he can shoot it he’s not confident in yet. Nojel will still be effective either way if he don’t make a shot crazy this is still conversations about his shot when he brings so much to this team than his shooting. It’s still 30 games more to be played
you missed by last paragraph...Magic wasn't a shooter either

you missed by last paragraph...Magic wasn't a shooter either
True that was a set shot shooter but he can surr pass that ball at 6”9. Nojel just trying to find his groove at this point I’m just happy to see him just having fun smiling and just hoopin playing free. That player Sat was waiting to come out of his shell and I believe that is the player we will see from this point on just loose ballin.

Stopped reading right here because you clearly have not seen one game this year. Cline specifically worked on his driving ability and has done it many times in games.

Mathboy has you pegged.
I have seen people learn to shoot free throws during the off-season but I have never witnessed anyone learned to drive. Getting into the lane is not an easy thing to do and Cline is going to have trouble doing it all year. Drink the kool aid all you want though.

I have seen people learn to shoot free throws during the off-season but I have never witnessed anyone learned to drive. Getting into the lane is not an easy thing to do and Cline is going to have trouble doing it all year. Drink the kool aid all you want though.
Cline hasn't had trouble doing at all this year. Which you would know if you actually watched the game or knew anything about what you were talking about.

Mathboy has you pegged.

He has a floater game to he knows teams gonna sag date him to shoot he knows the lane Wil be clogged he knows the game still it won’t stop him from being effective nick picking at his shooting is small potatoes he’s still will be a matchup nightmare offensively and defensively for many teams even w/o him shooting the ball.
His game might actually translate better to the NBA than it does in college. That's weird to say, but with the amount of iso that's run in the NBA, NE would have a lot of opportunities to play more 1 on 1.
He's definitely a tough cover for just about anybody with his size and strength. He's a unique player and really glad he chose Purdue. Will be interesting to see his development this year because he'll get the minutes and opportunity he needs.

Or better yet, watch the game and draw your conclusions rather than simply making stuff up ("he never drives and is basically ineffective if he tries").
Oh come on now, SepOfDudy gets all he needs from reading the box score. Why watch a game? He can also parrot all the crap that Courtsense and IUjimmy put out. Seems like he has the complete red neck encyclopedia of basketball at his disposal.

:cool:

His game might actually translate better to the NBA than it does in college. That's weird to say, but with the amount of iso that's run in the NBA, NE would have a lot of opportunities to play more 1 on 1.
He's definitely a tough cover for just about anybody with his size and strength. He's a unique player and really glad he chose Purdue. Will be interesting to see his development this year because he'll get the minutes and opportunity he needs.
More spacing more ball screen court is longer wider and the lane line is wider much more space than a condensed college court. Donavan Mitchell looks totally different than he did at Louisville more system basketball than at nba level. Look at him now more space for him to get into the lane more ball screen puck n pops situations. Zyrire smith Texas tech got drafted bcuz he is an elite athlete not highly skilled but a 6”4 athlete that can defend with a wing span at 7”0 so went 1st round based of his potential. Hamadu Diallo got drafted bcuz of the same reason so did javon carter all based off there defensive possibilities. Nojel is close to 6”7 at 220 pounds with 6”9 wing span that is a matchup problem bcuz his ability to play multiple positions offensively and defensively to go with his NBA size body length athleticism that plays a position at PG makes him unique bcuz of his actual size and length. He find his jump shot than he has a shot to get some serous looks from scouts and GMs. He’s a team player and leader all things they will look at too. He’s focused on helping this team winning big ten title and natl title is his goals and I think this team has the pieces to win both.

Or better yet, watch the game and draw your conclusions rather than simply making stuff up ("he never drives and is basically ineffective if he tries").
Ryan Cline has averaged .3 2PAs in his career? Am I the fool thinking that his current year stats aren't realistic?

quick question, Momma. is the young man naturally left-handed or right-handed. He reminds me of those kids who are left handed, but was sorta forced into being right handed at a young age, and end up looking confused-handed for a while. But watch out, when they get it right.

Lebron is another one of those people, he's really left handed, but he has been using his right hand so much all his life. now you can't tell which he is. And he finishes well at the rim with either hand. It's a big advantage.

quick question, Momma. is the young man naturally left-handed or right-handed. He reminds me of those kids who are left handed, but was sorta forced into being right handed at a young age, and end up looking confused-handed for a while. But watch out, when they get it right.

Lebron is another one of those people, he's really left handed, but he has been using his right hand so much all his life. now you can't tell which he is. And he finishes well at the rim with either hand. It's a big advantage.
I'm not momma, but in case she misses this Nojel answered that question in some video and said he was right handed

Well funny u asked. He is naturally right handed he eats and writes with his right hand. He started playing ball at 3 and when he was about 5/6 he was playing around in the gym shooting and he shot the ball with his left hand it looked good to me so I said shoot it again it looked good than I told him shoot with ur left hand. He uses both hands equally dunks with both can make lay ups with both dribble well with both. He was a great shooter in HS something happen were he just lost confidence in his shooting were it got to this point. He can shoot still to this day with both hands marketing 3s and FTs. Once he gets over whatever it is in his mind and shoot the ball than he will be a matcup nightmare for opposing teams. He played football and he wud kick off sometimes but he kicked the ball with his left foot now that is confusing when he did that. He just gotta get back to having fun and his shot will come and that game against BS he was having fun.

Well funny u asked. He is naturally right handed he eats and writes with his right hand. He started playing ball at 3 and when he was about 5/6 he was playing around in the gym shooting and he shot the ball with his left hand it looked good to me so I said shoot it again it looked good than I told him shoot with ur left hand. He uses both hands equally dunks with both can make lay ups with both dribble well with both. He was a great shooter in HS something happen were he just lost confidence in his shooting were it got to this point. He can shoot still to this day with both hands marketing 3s and FTs. Once he gets over whatever it is in his mind and shoot the ball than he will be a matcup nightmare for opposing teams. He played football and he wud kick off sometimes but he kicked the ball with his left foot now that is confusing when he did that. He just gotta get back to having fun and his shot will come and that game against BS he was having fun.
thanks.. for taking time to explain. while most people clearly have a dominant handedness (i.e. clearly right handed or clearly left-handed). A minority of people just don't. (I suspect a lot of those people are truly left handed but have been using their right hands for so long that it is no longer clear). He seems to be in the second group. And it isn't totally unusual for those people to experience effects of the "confused-handedness" (lack of clear dominance is the better term) which leads to slight hesitation and might be contributing to his shooting jitters (don't quote me on this). The good news is that there are many excellent athletes who learn to parlay that into an advantage e.g. Lebron James. I'm hoping for the same for Nojel. thanks again for responding.

I'm not momma, but in case she misses this Nojel answered that question in some video and said he was right handed
He mentioned that he was right handed during his post game radio interview as the hardest working player for the Ball State game.

Reactions: tjreese
thanks.. for taking time to explain. while most people clearly have a dominant handedness (i.e. clearly right handed or clearly left-handed). A minority of people just don't. (I suspect a lot of those people are truly left handed but have been using their right hands for so long that it is no longer clear). He seems to be in the second group. And it isn't totally unusual for those people to experience effects of the "confused-handedness" (lack of clear dominance is the better term) which leads to slight hesitation and might be contributing to his shooting jitters (don't quote me on this). The good news is that there are many excellent athletes who learn to parlay that into an advantage e.g. Lebron James. I'm hoping for the same for Nojel. thanks again for responding.
Your most welcome. Whatever it is as each game he plays he will get more comfortable and relaxed and it’s just gonna happen. Something gonna click in his head he gonna pull that trigger and shoot the ball. He just needs 1 to go in like he did his FT and I’m sure he was relieved when it went in the basket. The mind it can play with u sometimes the great thing he now having fun hoopin so we getting there. It’s just a matter of time so much basketball to be played.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I’m not sure why so many are worried about my son shooting. I have been watching some of these guys who just got drafted in this years draft 1st round guards or 2nd round players who are PGs tell me how many are lighting it up from the outside 3 point line maybe Tre young is and he isn’t making his consistently. Lonzo ,Sexton shai Alexander Rhondo to name a few and not good 3 point shooters but effective of what they do best why they in the league. Nojel is bigger faster taller athletic than each of those guys I named but nojel can also guard multiple positions 3 of them can’t and some questioning his shooting. I’ll tell you this what the Boston and Atlanta Hawks Svouts and GM told my son was this you check many boxes we looking for size athleticism speed length for a PG who rebounds at a high level for the position can guard the PG position as well as other positions ur good at getting to the basket finishing with either hand and has really good passing skills for a PG. They told my son don’t let ur shooting hinder u your ability to do so many other things offensively and defensively continue to do what u do best work on ur shooting but do what u great and that hasn’t stopped bcuz in that game Marian game and Fairfield game he didn’t score many points or tale 1 shot and yet Purdue won handily. Ball state was a better team by far than those to we handily beat and yet he made the biggest impact in helping beating that team w/o taking 1 shot. Why harp on something that not causing Purdue to loose games but rather harp on what he brings that will help them win games. He’s not shooting bcuz he can’t its bcuz he’s not confident with it yet like shooting his FTs he made 2/3 that’s a start his shot will come when it does teams got problems on there hands. He impacts games with the 10/15 other things he goes than the 1 thing he hasn’t done yet. He can guard any player on the court but many can’t guard him he can make plays no matter were he is on the court why bcuz he can pass to open shooters wait till they start making those 3s. Sag of him won’t stop him from being effective bcuz he can pass see over defenses get out backs steals etc to be a threat offensively so while so many worried about the 1 thing he has yet to do shoot it let’s look at all the other many many things he impacts the game with he can do. 2 games into season and big big games coming up starting Thur he just needs to be nojel doing what he does best to help Purdue win games is what I’ll tell my son.
Treed, I don't care if your son ever scores a point as long as he plays shut down defense on guys like Romeo, as long as he rebounds, and puts others in a position to do their job. Any points he gets is a plus for his effort in my opinion. He'll do just fine as will the rest of this team. I'm very surprised with Wheeler's play and love watching Grady finally get the due he's been working for coming from a walk on. Can't wait for the B10 to start.

Another is Phil Mickelson. He was born right handed, writes and eats right handed, but plays golf left handed. He would stand across from his right handed father and mirror his golf swing as a little kid, and it stuck.

The crazy thing is, he’s a scratch golfer right handed!

Reactions: atmafola

My son was diagnosed anomalous dominant ... it's when you should be one-handed, but tend toward the other. The MAJOR issue is what eyed you are. There is a test to determine which eye is dominant. One eye sees the rim perfectly, the other one not so much, same with shooting a gun, playing pool, etc --- my son ate and wrote right handed, shot left, batted left, threw right ... but guns, bows, pool ... all left.

My son was diagnosed anomalous dominant ... it's when you should be one-handed, but tend toward the other. The MAJOR issue is what eyed you are. There is a test to determine which eye is dominant. One eye sees the rim perfectly, the other one not so much, same with shooting a gun, playing pool, etc --- my son ate and wrote right handed, shot left, batted left, threw right ... but guns, bows, pool ... all left.
thanks for adding perspective to this discussion.

not sure if this is it, but if you make a small triangle or circle (couple fo inches) with your two hands and focus on an object in the distance with both eyes and then close them one at a time and the one eye that still has it centered or close to center is your dominant eye...the other will not even see the image in teh circle or triangle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT