ADVERTISEMENT

Painter on Swanigan

Dr_billy_badass

All-American
Dec 4, 2009
I just wanted to re-post this here from the front page for posterity as I think it was an excellent media call for Painter and he's always so good at being upfront with the guys. it's 35 minutes but I thought it helped clear up a lot of questions on many topics that have floated here. I highly encourage folks here to give it a listen as a lot of times people get so worked up in conversations between fans on the board sometimes they forget or misquote the things that come directly from Painter himself. Talks about Biggie, strengths of the team, redshirts, other good stuff.

https://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768451

Link to GBI page so you can pick your preferred format. Me personally, I forgot that he can enroll in online course while doing the USA basketball thing so that makes me feel a little better about the timeline. But the number one thing I loved was how he described Biggie and said something to the affect of, what people don't understand is that if he was 5'10 he'd still be a division 1 player.

It was a really good listen. The one thing that wasn't really cleared up (nor will be till the season) was player positions. Like the possibility of RD or Mathias playing the point. I think it will ease peoples' minds about how Biggie plays defense, too. Most of the criticism of Biggie is due in large part (I believe) that most of the videos are from a year ago. He is much better shape now, and he finishes much stronger at the rim. I'm still not sold that he is a top 10 guy, but I'd be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong. There is no doubt in my mind he will be a great stretch 4 for us. He is a great passer and he's getting more athletic by the week. He looks to have a really high IQ and is very patient. The only thing I worry about is his attitude. The ONLY reason I say this is from the few games I watched him in last year where he was complaining to the refs and teammates a LOT. It could just be his fiery competitiveness. I hope that is it.

Other than that, I'm ready for the season to get started. I love that RD is publicly stating he's playing for a national championship, and that Caleb came in with that attitude as well. We have players that really want to be here and that really enjoy playing for each other. Its going to be a special year.

Boiler Up!!!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I didn't want to start a new thread so I am shamelessly bumping my own, but a thought that keeps popping in my head that I haven't seen on here is how much I think Brantley is going to be involved in Swanigan when he gets here. And how good it will be for him to have that, something we really didn't have not too long ago. I am not saying that he wouldn't have it elsewhere but I really like the idea of how he can help develop him. Thoughts?

Thanks for pointing this media call out. I didn't have a chance to listen yet, but just reading the highlights makes me feel good about the program and our coach. I think about each and every guy on the team & their opportunity to improve their strength, endurance, and skills this off-season. Who's going to surprise us the most & in what ways? March was only two months ago, and I'm ready for next season already. Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT