ADVERTISEMENT

Painter needs to take the fine

Officiating 100% stole this game. It’s pathetic that the game and the big ten has gotten here. We play northwestern on a neutral site 10 times with decent officiating, we win 10 times. Felt like 15-20 points were affected by the way they officiated the game. Absolutely pathetic.
How many threes in a row did we miss?

Officiating 100% stole this game. It’s pathetic that the game and the big ten has gotten here. We play northwestern on a neutral site 10 times with decent officiating, we win 10 times. Felt like 15-20 points were affected by the way they officiated the game. Absolutely pathetic.
You think a few calls going the other way change the game more than three straight turnovers down the stretch?

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Yes, I swear, people can’t handle losing without blaming the refs, it’s crazy. Purdue missed their last 12 three’s, turned the ball over numerous times, when that happens teams lose games.
I have already said they Purdont choked. But when your players are bleeding and the other teams get nonsense F1s you gotta stand up for your players.

We sound just like the people IU fans make fun of , it we lose we blame the refs or other excuses. Gotta be better.

Reactions: Inspector100
You think a few calls going the other way change the game more than three straight turnovers down the stretch?
I think it was enough to change the flow, and the amount of the lead, and therefore makes the end of game situation a lot different. May not be pressing as much and being sped up into bad decisions. So yes, with those calls made the turnovers may not happen.

Painter has always given up points to opposing aggressively complaining coaches. Just his style. Not changing, he is successful.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I have already said they Purdont choked. But when your players are bleeding and the other teams get nonsense F1s you gotta stand up for your players.
I will say this, I usually stick up for the refs, today I don’t think they were good. I don’t think they were cheating however, they did let to many things go. For me, this was my least favorite watch of the year of a Purdue hoops game. Both teams missed easy shots, lots of fouls called, no rythmn to the play etc, I posted that when Purdue was up by 5 with like 4 minutes left. Purdue’s got some older guys that need to step up when the Frosh are having bad games, guys like Newman and Jenkins didn’t.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Gesysp
Purdue scored 6 baskets in the second half. None of them were outside of 12 feet., Morton made that nice turnaround jumper and Edey made 5 baskets, Throw in 9 free throws and that's your 21 points in the second half.

Our guards were 4 for 23 from the field and 2 from 13 from 3. Maybe that's why we lost.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Two things can both be true. Purdue did not play well and missed many shots. If they play their normal game they do not lose. However, the refs were also not calling fouls correctly. If they do then Purdue does not lose.

It is clear that teams have figured out that the way to beat Purdue is to simply foul until it ceases to be called and/or is never called. It is especially true about Edey and Loyer. It will not stop until Purdue forces it to stop. They have to do so by calling it out in a public manner and demanding change. Force the Big Ten to confront the issue, otherwise it will go on.

Since complaining to the BIG will accomplish nothing CMP will instruct the team to just deal with it. He will not even get an intentional tech. Maybe we need a hatchet man of our own to disrupt the opponent's key player, whoever that may be.
This is Hack a Haas all over again because it's so unfair that he's a monster of a man.

Did the refs miss some questionable calls? Sure.

Did the refs cause Smith to throw the ball out of bounds? What about not getting across half court in 10 seconds? What about the lackadaisical passes that lead to turnovers and empty possessions?

End of the day, we had this game in the bag and we let it get away because we tightened up and made terrible decisions.

Did the refs miss some questionable calls? Sure.

Did the refs cause Smith to throw the ball out of bounds? What about not getting across half court in 10 seconds? What about the lackadaisical passes that lead to turnovers and empty possessions?

End of the day, we had this game in the bag and we let it get away because we tightened up and made terrible decisions.
Completely agree, and would add the refs didn't make us miss wide open 3 after wide open 3.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Now, compare that to yesterday
Well, Purdue gets about 7 more than opponents, NW gets about 2 more. So I would expect Purdue to get 5 more. They got 4 more. Also, the numbers in the chart are FT attempts per 100 possessions, not per game. That way tempo is removed from the equation. So I would expect that 5 FT difference to be even smaller. About 70% of that if they play an average 70 possession game. All to say, FT attempts in the NW game were not abnormal.

That Morton move made my jaw drop
He's going to start to do what Kip Jones and Chris Kramer and lots of other guys did later in their careers, figuring out they CAN score and be even more impactful. He looked very comfortable shooting the shot but only did it cause the shot clock was almost up. Both Chris and Kip became competent scorers with the ball in their hand IF the shot clock forced them to just do it. I see the same going to happen with Ethan.
Just keep him off the dang 3 pt line and let him develop a mid range game and that would be hugely helpful.
Not everyone is meant to shoot 3's.

The last 3 minutes was on us not the refs.
Agreed, I felt like I was watching an NCAA tourney game when we fell apart at the end (looked just like St. Peters, Little Rock, etc...) Painter has been here 18 years & still hasn't figured out how to beat a press. Different group of players, same results. No excuses for a 10 second call in a tight game when you have time outs left.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
That starts with the coach.... If Izzo or Fran would have had a game called like that, they would have been all over the refs & it would have been known at least.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT