ADVERTISEMENT

Pacer fan my whole life.

JeremyThePoolMan

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
I have been rooting for the Pacers since the early 80's and after they traded away the 32nd pick for basically nothing and had Carsen sitting right there and they pass on him. They couldve had the two best guards to come out of Purdue and Indiana for probably the last 20 years or more and couldve really helped sell tickets. They would've had zero risk but instead they pass on him and he is already proving he should've been a first rounder. Did they not watch him against the national champions and best defense in the country with arguably the best defender in the country guarding him that went #4 overall. Its just a slap in his face and many of the fans that root for the Pacers. Its no where near the same situation when Alford came out and they took Reggie Miller instead with the 11th pick overall. This was a non guaranteed 2nd round pick. I hope he scores 50 on them and its hard to root for them after that decision.

I have been rooting for the Pacers since the early 80's and after they traded away the 32nd pick for basically nothing and had Carsen sitting right there and they pass on him. They couldve had the two best guards to come out of Purdue and Indiana for probably the last 20 years or more and couldve really helped sell tickets. They would've had zero risk but instead they pass on him and he is already proving he should've been a first rounder. Did they not watch him against the national champions and best defense in the country with arguably the best defender in the country guarding him that went #4 overall. Its just a slap in his face and many of the fans that root for the Pacers. Its no where near the same situation when Alford came out and they took Reggie Miller instead with the 11th pick overall. This was a non guaranteed 2nd round pick. I hope he scores 50 on them and its hard to root for them after that decision.
As has already been discussed, what position does he play on the Pacers? At PG they already have Brogdon and Holiday. At SG they have Oladipo and Lamb. At Boston he has a chance to be the backup PG.

Additionally, Summer League success doesn't always translate (Josh Selby). He is playing against players that are essentially his own age right now. Would he have the same success against real NBA PGs? We will find out. I do know that I wouldn't be criticizing a team based on a players play during Summer League.

Pacer gave up a first and two 2nd round picks for Brogdon and I don't think that trade was done before Carsen got drafted yet. I think Brgdon will be awesome but also gave up a lot to get him. The Pacers had 3 point guards last year so we had room for him with hardly no risk at all. Just a bad move by the Pacers and Carsen is tearing it up against the best players from the last two seasons. It might be summer ball but these guys are still very good. I had no problem when the Pacers didn't take biggie but have you watched these summer games he looks spectacular out there not good but great.

Reactions: cjf04
Pacer gave up a first and two 2nd round picks for Brogdon and I don't think that trade was done before Carsen got drafted yet. I think Brgdon will be awesome but also gave up a lot to get him. The Pacers had 3 point guards last year so we had room for him with hardly no risk at all. Just a bad move by the Pacers and Carsen is tearing it up against the best players from the last two seasons. It might be summer ball but these guys are still very good. I had no problem when the Pacers didn't take biggie but have you watched these summer games he looks spectacular out there not good but great.
Again, he's going against players that he played against in college. He's great against those types of players as we saw for 3 years. He will have the opportunity to prove he can do it against real NBA players next season. It's too soon to say the Pacers made a mistake by not taking him. I'm happy that Carsen got drafted by the team that gives him the best chance of actually playing.

Would you feel better if you knew that one of the 2nd round picks the Pacers acquired from trading the 32nd pick went to the Bucks as part of the Brogdon trade?

The Pacers are all-in on Aaron Holiday. They weren't going to take a similar player there unfortunately. They need Holiday to be special, and have bought into letting him be the back up PG this year. Plus, the picks they aquired were used in the Brogdon deal I believe.

As a fellow Pacers and Purdue fan, I have not seen much from Holiday to believe he is the answer off the bench for the Pacers. I am extremely biased on CE and think he will have a nice NBA career. You can't teach his fearlessness and knack to score, and fortunately for him he will be better off being developed in the Celtics organization than he would have been at Indiana. Time will tell on both though....

The 1967-1970 ABA Pacers might well have made personnel decisions based upon ticket sales, but 2019 offers no reason WHATSOEVER to do that. To claim that Summer League play ( 3 games ) is " already proving" that CE should have been a 1st rounder is proof positive that you're better off @ your keyboard than sitting in the office chair of the General Manager of the Indiana Pacers. Or of the other 29 G.M.'s

The 1967-1970 ABA Pacers might well have made personnel decisions based upon ticket sales, but 2019 offers no reason WHATSOEVER to do that. To claim that Summer League play ( 3 games ) is " already proving" that CE should have been a 1st rounder is proof positive that you're better off @ your keyboard than sitting in the office chair of the General Manager of the Indiana Pacers. Or of the other 29 G.M.'s
I dunno. I thought he should have been a first rounder before the summer league started. Also Brogdon was a 2nd round in 2016.

i've watched a couple celtic summer league games. they aren't really using him as a pg all the time
Correct, because they are playing Waters there. Carsen will be a perfect backup PG, because Marcus Smart can facilitate for the 2nd unit. Carsen just needs to come in and get buckets like Patty Mills.

Again, he's going against players that he played against in college. He's great against those types of players as we saw for 3 years. He will have the opportunity to prove he can do it against real NBA players next season.

These are not bunch of role players from colleges, yes?
CE has been tearing up against cream of crops for the past three games.

Carson will get the job done in NBA the way he always had been done.
The difference, of course, will be experience and savvy as time goes on.

Geoux, Boogie!
Boiler Up!!

From what I've seen in the SL games so far, Carsen is the best player on the the floor. Stevens and Ainge know they stole one when they drafted him , Stevens said as much during the interview last night. That's why they are trying to get a contract signed.

I dunno. I thought he should have been a first rounder before the summer league started. Also Brogdon was a 2nd round in 2016.
Yeah. The idea that CE would be/ should be a 1st rounder was, and still is a defensible argument. To argue that it's basically a no-brainer & that 3 Summer League games offer the necessary proof is goofy, as another poster suggested.

These are not bunch of role players from colleges, yes?
CE has been tearing up against cream of crops for the past three games.

Carson will get the job done in NBA the way he always had been done.
The difference, of course, will be experience and savvy as time goes on.

Geoux, Boogie!
Boiler Up!!
You are right, he isn't playing against a bunch of NBA role players. NBA role players are much better than the players he is currently playing against. Most of the guys in summer league will be hard pressed to make an NBA roster.

Since he has been playing against the "cream of crops" for the last three games, please tell me who are the 3 best guards he has faced off against in those 3 games?

I fully expect Carsen to make the team and compete for some playing time at the backup PG spot, but let's pump the brakes.

Did you watch the Virginia game? Two of the players he went against we're 1st round picks.
I did watch the Virginia game. That has little to do with the discussion. Carsen was a GREAT college player. His ceiling is a role player in the NBA, though. People are getting way ahead of themselves predicting Carsen's future, and saying how bad of a move it was by the Pacers (the thread topic) based on 3 Summer League games where he was playing against borderline NBA talent.

I did watch the Virginia game. That has little to do with the discussion. Carsen was a GREAT college player. His ceiling is a role player in the NBA, though. People are getting way ahead of themselves predicting Carsen's future, and saying how bad of a move it was by the Pacers (the thread topic) based on 3 Summer League games where he was playing against borderline NBA talent.

I agree that some people may be getting ahead of themselves on predictions. But saying that his ceiling is a "role player" is getting way ahead of yourself too. There's no way to know for certain right now but it's not so insane to think that Carsen could potentially be a starter down the road.

Didn’t Caleb win MVP of the summer league a few years ago? I agree we shouldn’t put too much stock in this. He’s playing great. Let’s see how he does in the real preseason. I’m a Celtics fan and I’m confident he will play a role this year. But there’s a long road ahead.

That has little to do with the discussion
The discussion was that he hasn't played against any NBA caliber guards and my point is he has. DeAngelo Hunter and Ty Jerome. Hunter was picked #4 and Jerome# 24 . Hunter couldn't hang with him. Boogie ate him up. I'm starting to lose patience with my Newcastle friend.

I agree that some people may be getting ahead of themselves on predictions. But saying that his ceiling is a "role player" is getting way ahead of yourself too. There's no way to know for certain right now but it's not so insane to think that Carsen could potentially be a starter down the road.
IMO, you can be a starter and a role player. I'm saying I think there is little chance he makes an All-Star team which is again imo, the step above a role player.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Didn’t Caleb win MVP of the summer league a few years ago? I agree we shouldn’t put too much stock in this. He’s playing great. Let’s see how he does in the real preseason. I’m a Celtics fan and I’m confident he will play a role this year. But there’s a long road ahead.
I know he for sure played really well in SL. Josh Selby and Kyle Andersen have won the SL MVP recently, and their careers haven't been good.

With the addition of Carsen, the Celtics are now my 2nd favorite team, so I hope he sticks around for a long time. I agree he will play a role this year.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
The discussion was that he hasn't played against any NBA caliber guards and my point is he has. DeAngelo Hunter and Ty Jerome. Hunter was picked #4 and Jerome# 24 . Hunter couldn't hang with him. Boogie ate him up. I'm starting to lose patience with my Newcastle friend.
LOL lose all the patience you want. Hunter and Jerome are not proven NBA guards. I'm talking about when he has to face proven NBA guards night in and night out. Steph, Dame, Kyrie, ect.

No I'm talking proven NBA guards. Hunter and Jerome haven't played a minute in the NBA
I don't think anyone is talking about him being as good as Steph or Kirie yet . Someone was complaining about the Pacers not having enough sense to pick up Carsen. My opinion is that the Pacers should have taken him among other teams as well. Their loss is the Celtics gain.

Reactions: buffboiler
As has already been discussed, what position does he play on the Pacers? At PG they already have Brogdon and Holiday. At SG they have Oladipo and Lamb. At Boston he has a chance to be the backup PG.

Additionally, Summer League success doesn't always translate (Josh Selby). He is playing against players that are essentially his own age right now. Would he have the same success against real NBA PGs? We will find out. I do know that I wouldn't be criticizing a team based on a players play during Summer League.
Edwards > Holiday

I don't think anyone is talking about him being as good as Steph or Kirie yet . Someone was complaining about the Pacers not having enough sense to pick up Carsen. My opinion is that the Pacers should have taken him among other teams as well. Their loss is the Celtics gain.
Again, I said that saying the Pacers made a mistake by pointing out his SL performance is dumb, because SL success doenst always translate.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Again, I said that saying the Pacers made a mistake by pointing out his SL performance is dumb, because SL success doenst always translate.
Why be an ass . I'm basing my opinion on three years of watching Carsen Edwards play, not three games in the SL.

I'm still hoping he comes back. Is that wrong?

OldfashionedOpenBoto-size_restricted.gif

I wasnt being an ass. Literally all I said was pump the brakes, and I wasnt even talking to you.
My opinion was that the Pacers and others made a mistake by not drafting Carsen and you just blew me off like my opinion doesn't matter. I know sometimes you come off as pompous, but seeing how I'm one of the few that respect your opinion, maybe you could not be so terse when addressing my posts.

Reactions: Emartin70287
Maybe you are getting ahead of yourself in your own prediction of his future?

My opinion was that the Pacers and others made a mistake by not drafting Carsen and you just blew me off like my opinion doesn't matter. I know sometimes you come off as pompous, but seeing how I'm one of the few that respect your opinion, maybe you could not be so terse when addressing my posts.
Your first response to me was asking if I watched the elite 8 game, and if I knew Virginia had two first round draft picks.

I think we are getting the wrong context of each other's posts, because it's text. I meant no offense in my responses.

Holiday can’t create off the dribble and hit tough shots like Carsen. And neither can pretty much anyone else on that roster, though I admit I haven’t seen much of Warren.

How about you "pump your brakes?" Hilarious that in this same post you say: "People are getting way ahead of themselves predicting Carsen's future," but you say in the previous sentence that Carsen's "ceiling is a role player in the NBA."

Edit- after reading the whole thread, I see a couple other people already called out your hypocrisy. You defend your hypocrisy with again predicting Carsen's future by this gem: "I'm saying I think there is little chance he makes an All-Star team." Wow, that's an underwhelming prediction. There are 450 players on NBA rosters throughout the season, and 24 All-Star selections.

Last edited:
How about you "pump your brakes?" Hilarious that in this same post you say: "People are getting way ahead of themselves predicting Carsen's future," but you say in the previous sentence that Carsen's "ceiling is a role player in the NBA."

Edit- after reading the whole thread, I see a couple other people already called out your hypocrisy. You defend your hypocrisy with again predicting Carsen's future by this gem: "I'm saying I think there is little chance he makes an All-Star team." Wow, that's an underwhelming prediction. There are 450 players on NBA rosters throughout the season, and 24 All-Star selections.
What's a step above a role player and below an All-star appearance? For me there is nothing there.

Holiday can’t create off the dribble and hit tough shots like Carsen. And neither can pretty much anyone else on that roster, though I admit I haven’t seen much of Warren.
Oladipo cant create off the dribble? Holiday's job is to come in and run the point not go out and score a bunch of points. Carsen found the perfect team for his skillset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT