ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Romeo

Reactions: CarolinaHiker1
Oh you're talking about Dan Palambizio former Mr. Basketball.

Palombizio, and, yes, and the rumors were legendary. He had all the indications of being a 'head case', but I always wondered if there was more.

Lots of stories of his dad, and how he treated Dan.

Lots of rumors of he and Keady, and I can see how there would be conflict.

Bottom line: he REALLY missed out on one HELLUVA ride with the Boilers!

Michigan City Rogers. I responded without noticing someone already responded to his school being MCR. Our crew referred to Dan that way because he played in a spastic way. Still hated to see him leave Purdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85 and SKYDOG
Palombizio, and, yes, and the rumors were legendary. He had all the indications of being a 'head case', but I always wondered if there was more.

Lots of stories of his dad, and how he treated Dan.

Lots of rumors of he and Keady, and I can see how there would be conflict.

Bottom line: he REALLY missed out on one HELLUVA ride with the Boilers!
In talking with him, he admits he made a huge mistake on leaving Purdue. Still see him at Chesterton a couple times a year along with his dad.

Was a FR player for Purdue, then went to Ball State, if memory serves.

Also, if I recall, hit one or two FT's to beat Iowa on a foul call, and it absolutely p*ssed off the Iowa masses for quite some time! (Jim Bain, referee?) LOL!

Quite the promising player, but . . .

Note: after I typed all that, I searched and found this: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...-mackey-games-march-6-1982-vs-iowa/777441001/
The state had three 5-star big men the year Palombizio graduated. One was John Flowers (IU then UNLV?)and the other was Jeff Robinson from Broad Ripple HS who went to Cincinnati. I don't think any of them played in the NBA.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Michigan City Rogers. I responded without noticing someone already responded to his school being MCR. Our crew referred to Dan that way because he played in a spastic way. Still hated to see him leave Purdue.
Rogers HS, Michigan City, IN.

Jim Bradley, Drake Morris, Pete Trkovich, Thad Garner, E. Moore, Dan Spazambizio and cough, Dan Dakich from the forgotten Northwest part of our state.
Dick Barnett, Wallace Bryant, Rich Valavicius, Matt Nover, Carl McPipe, Kenny Lofton to name a few more.

Charles “Killer” Macon was the last great player Michigan City produced. Never panned out at Ohio State.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Dick Barnett, Wallace Bryant, Rich Valavicius, Matt Nover, Carl McPipe, Kenny Lofton to name a few more.

I don't know what kind of HS player he was, but Gregg Popovich (Merrillville HS) should probably be added to the list. He had a good career at the Air Force Academy, and has arguably become the best coach of all-time with the Spurs.

I don't know what kind of HS player he was, but Gregg Popovich (Merrillville HS) should probably be added to the list. He had a good career at the Air Force Academy, and has arguably become the best coach of all-time with the Spurs.
He wasn't all that as a high school player.

The state had three 5-star big men the year Palombizio graduated. One was John Flowers (IU then UNLV?)and the other was Jeff Robinson from Broad Ripple HS who went to Cincinnati. I don't think any of them played in the NBA.
Didn’t Flowers end up at UAB after IU? Or was that Tracy Foster.

Romeo cancelled his upcoming scheduled visit to iu. It looks like it’s down to KU and Vandy now. I wonder how the iu faithful will react.
It's down to IU and KU. IU is still the leader, but Vick and Newman leaving KU still helps. Romeo's plan is still to do a community announcement in NA's gym. If he actually uses that setting, then he will definitely be picking IU. There is no way they would trot him out there in front of 8k IU fans only for him to pick KU.

Doubt IU is the leader anymore. Kansas has swayed some picks and would believe they are the favorites now. Even the IU faithful are worried but many feel as if he put them in the top 3 as courtesy. He wasn't going to IU when Pitino was at Louisville and if he chooses to land at anywhere but IU....that hurts.

Doubt IU is the leader anymore. Kansas has swayed some picks and would believe they are the favorites now. Even the IU faithful are worried but many feel as if he put them in the top 3 as courtesy. He wasn't going to IU when Pitino was at Louisville and if he chooses to land at anywhere but IU....that hurts.
According to some rivals national analysts that posted on the IU premium board this morning, they think IU still leads. They think the ku backcourt is still really crowded even with Newman and Vick going pro.

I agree could be a little crowded but let's be honest it's not crowded for a top 5 player and possibly the best 2 guard in high school. He wouldn't fear any of those other guards nor should he. If players felt that way Kentucky wouldn't be.. Kentucky and Duke wouldn't be...Duke.

I agree could be a little crowded but let's be honest it's not crowded for a top 5 player and possibly the best 2 guard in high school. He wouldn't fear any of those other guards nor should he. If players felt that way Kentucky wouldn't be.. Kentucky and Duke wouldn't be...Duke.
I agree with this. The difference is that at KU he will probably be getting 20-25 min/gm and at iu and vandy he would be getting 35 min/gm.

KU's backcourt:
Dodson (5*)
Grimes (5*)
Marcus Garret (4*)
Charlie Moore (4* - transfer from cal)
KJ Lawson (4* - transfer from memphis)
Sam Cunliffe (4* - transfer from Arizona State)

There is only one basketball haha. They would be extremely loaded with Romeo.

The IU writers have so much invested in this.

If Romeo doesn't sign with IU, they'll all look like all the "journalists" who had Hillary Clinton winning.
Archie has more to lose than anybody. If he can't close the deal the Brad Stevens crowd will start up again.

Archie has more to lose than anybody. If he can't close the deal the Brad Stevens crowd will start up again.
I honestly do not understand why IU fans have this notion that Brad Stevens has any interest coaching at IU. Nothing he has ever said that I have read indicates anything about IU and people I know who know him have never suggested he wants to coach there. If he was to take a job back in Indiana, Notre Dame seems a much more likely spot than the Hoosiers. Brey has been there a while and it's private like Butler. Plus, you know, it's Notre Dame. Tic

I honestly do not understand why IU fans have this notion that Brad Stevens has any interest coaching at IU. Nothing he has ever said that I have read indicates anything about IU and people I know who know him have never suggested he wants to coach there. If he was to take a job back in Indiana, Notre Dame seems a much more likely spot than the Hoosiers. Brey has been there a while and it's private like Butler. Plus, you know, it's Notre Dame. Tic

He grew up a die hard IU fan. That is why. Heck he was in the stands at Assembly Hall when Bobby threw the chair. He used to draw up plays in his driveway as a kid pretending to be the IU coach. His Dad said he watched the 1987 Championship game so much that he wore out the VHS tape.

But it's highly unlikely Brad ever coaches college again. He's very happy in the NBA. We missed the boat on Stevens by about 5 years.

The Indiana Fanbase is extraordinarily happy with Archie Miller as the coach. There is quite literally zero talk of Brad Stevens or any other coach as a better choice than Archie Miller from any IU fan that I’ve spoken with in a long time ( since we started to win some Big Ten games last season).

And, for what it’s worth, there are some very strong winds blowing towards Bloomington Indiana in the Romeo Langford recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT