Junior Bridgeman
Louie Dampier
Steve Downing
Roy Tolbert
Eric Montross
Hallie Bryant (Globetrotters)
Bobby Miles
Willie Merriweather
Do you remember a guy named Ed Bridwell?

Mike Conley Jr.
He played with some of the early '90's players at the Lafayette YW tuesday's at noon until about two years ago ... one hell of a competitive game ... Peckinpaugh, Spann, Bridwell,

Tippe was strong in those years. 4 World Series Rings from HHS

He played with some of the early '90's players at the Lafayette YW tuesday's at noon until about two years ago ... one hell of a competitive game ... Peckinpaugh, Spann, Bridwell,
About 20 years ago me a buddy of mine and Ed were going to play in the Gus Makker 3x3. When we signed up they told us we had to play in the pro division. Me and my buddy were like ya we are good and all but come on? The guy motioned to Ed and said he was a shark.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
About 20 years ago me a buddy of mine and Ed were going to play in the Gus Makker 3x3. When we signed up they told us we had to play in the pro division. Me and my buddy were like ya we are good and all but come on? The guy motioned to Ed and said he was a shark.
Keller and travis Brown and Bridwell ... not sure who the others were, but pretty good rural HS team ... I think Eddie got better after HS, not that most don't, but still ... Travis chose football ... and has made a tremendous life as an anti-bullying advocate speaking all over the country. Carsen Harris from Jeff is the head coach at Marian College now and doing really well. Dimmich from BC set records at Marion College before dying in a tragic grain elevator accident.

Keller and travis Brown and Bridwell ... not sure who the others were, but pretty good rural HS team ... I think Eddie got better after HS, not that most don't, but still ... Travis chose football ... and has made a tremendous life as an anti-bullying advocate speaking all over the country. Carsen Harris from Jeff is the head coach at Marian College now and doing really well. Dimmich from BC set records at Marion College before dying in a tragic grain elevator accident.
Shows how dangerous the farm life is. Both Dimmich and Brutus lost. Countless others with missing digit or crippled.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
LOL! I don’t think Romeo qualifies as “one of the best basketball players to ever come out of the state”. Thanks for the chuckle. He is a good player, but, come on now. I bet you could name a good 20 players from Indiana that were better.
I see a lot of high school games, but unfortunately never got to see Romeo. He sells out the house every game he played in this year is my understanding. While attending games this year and talking to other old time fans and officials who have seen him play a few times, most have said Romeo is the best player to come out of the state ever.
I questioned them on the likes of McGinnis and several others and to a man they all said Romeo. He must be pretty good. Wishing I could have seen him play in high school.

The games sellout, especially all of the Seymour playoff games, primarily because IU fanatics attend in IU gear, sing the IU fight song, and ask for autographs after the game. Creepy stuff.

My knowledge of Indiana HS basketball starts with the Big Dog/Alan Henderson era. Honestly, Romeo is easily one of the best I've ever seen play since the early 90's. Excellent shooter, plays well above the rim, and upper echelon athlete. I would take him over most of the people listed in this thread that I have seen play.

Tippe was strong in those years. 4 World Series Rings from HHS
Conley Jr. played with Oden and has been in the NBA for many years. Signed a long term contract with the Grizzlies a couple of years ago.

The games sellout, especially all of the Seymour playoff games, primarily because IU fanatics attend in IU gear, sing the IU fight song, and ask for autographs after the game. Creepy stuff.

My knowledge of Indiana HS basketball starts with the Big Dog/Alan Henderson era. Honestly, Romeo is easily one of the best I've ever seen play since the early 90's. Excellent shooter, plays well above the rim, and upper echelon athlete. I would take him over most of the people listed in this thread that I have seen play.
I thought Jaquin Lyle was that type of player too. HS and AAU are not always predictors of success at the next level. That isn't a knock on Romeo, he may be the next great one but there isn't some guarantee.

OTOH give me all the three star Aaron Craft, Trey Burke, Victor Olidipo and Chris Kramers we can sign.

Regarding best players from the state - I think it depends on the criteria. Are we talking just about their high school career? College? Professional? All the above?

Just on career scoring, Romeo is one of the best. Granted doesn’t rank high with the number of state titles if that is a metric.

Good fun and interesting to learn about some of the historical players who grew up in Indiana.

Regarding best players from the state - I think it depends on the criteria. Are we talking just about their high school career? College? Professional? All the above?

Just on career scoring, Romeo is one of the best. Granted doesn’t rank high with the number of state titles if that is a metric.

Good fun and interesting to learn about some of the historical players who grew up in Indiana.
When I was talking to all the different people, it was just about their high school careers.

My original post (which started all of this) was meant as "one of the best high school players ever to come out of Indiana". He does have a state championship, and he was a game winner away from another one.

One of the big things that I like most about Romeo is that he didn't jump ship to prep school like you see so many high level recruits do. He has mentioned multiple times that playing for his hometown and playing with the people he grew up with was very important to him. His dad may be a douche (he probably is), but I haven't seen or heard anything out of Romeo that makes me think he is in that category.

I actually agree with this, I can't stand when people make comments like, "he's the best player to ever come out of Indiana." It isn't fair to him in terms of expectations and really we have no idea how good he's going to be. Indiana as a state has had a lot of talent come out of it over the years and he has a lot to prove to even be in the discussion.
I remember when Sports Illustrated said something similar about Jamaal Davis. They put him up there with McGinnis, Bird, and Big Dog.

Jim Bradley, Drake Morris, Pete Trkovich, Thad Garner, E. Moore, Dan Spazambizio and cough, Dan Dakich from the forgotten Northwest part of our state.

Reactions: Heller and mathboy
Jim Bradley, Drake Morris, Pete Trkovich, Thad Garner, E. Moore, Dan Spazambizio and cough, Dan Dakich from the forgotten Northwest part of our state.
Jungle Jim Bradley, there is a name out of the past.
Jim Nettles, Jim Goose Ligon,

Last edited:
I thought Jaquin Lyle was that type of player too. HS and AAU are not always predictors of success at the next level. That isn't a knock on Romeo, he may be the next great one but there isn't some guarantee.

OTOH give me all the three star Aaron Craft, Trey Burke, Victor Olidipo and Chris Kramers we can sign.
Lyle had a tribe of handlers long before he was out if HS and they did nothing to discourage an immense feeling of entitlement. He was a head case early on.

Reactions: CarolinaHiker1
Who did Dan Spazambizo play for?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT