ADVERTISEMENT

OT Athlete = coach

wolegib jr is no longer an athlete! He ran his last race today. He will now be an SIU assistant coach next year!

He didn't do well today. But he competed! Which was a medical miracle in itself!
good for him..not in his performance, but in his ability to still be around what he loves...

He was a decathlete. His best long jump was 23-24 feet at a meet in California

He graduated and is now pursuing his dream!
When I was 12 years old I wanted to pursue my dream and only gave up years later. It happened one Saturday day while sitting in a dark room, intensely watching 1 Million Years B.C. Too young to drive and stalk her I resorted to watching her whenever I could. Now in my harvest season of life, I realized I fell short, but boy were those days of pursuit and substitution some good times!

Happy junior is living his dream...
LaserDisc-199585N.jpg

wolegib jr is no longer an athlete! He ran his last race today. He will now be an SIU assistant coach next year!

He didn't do well today. But he competed! Which was a medical miracle in itself!

Congrats, Wole. Good luck to your son; I wish him the best in his pursuit of a passion.

'Tis the season of change. I'm doing a lot of reflection at this time. Had dinner with an "adopted" granddaughter today who gas become the first member of her family to graduate HS. Leaving for a quick trip to MI to watch my granddaughter and grandson run in two track meets. I advised the graduate to savor every moment of her graduation ceremony and remember that it is her accomplishment and it can never be taken from her. I myself crossed that stage 5 times. The first two came easily. The third took 17 years and many restarts to accomplish. The fourth required the faith of my wife that let me walk away from a secure job to get through two years of grad school. The last came after two years of distance learning while working full time and paid for by my employer. I remember and savor every one of those ceremonies because they belong to me and no person can take away what I did or how I did it. My advice to young Wole and all others like him is to enjoy, cherish and savor his accomplishments whether on the track or in the classroom. While others have provided support and advice the results are his and his alone. Job well done.

'Tis the season of change. I'm doing a lot of reflection at this time. Had dinner with an "adopted" granddaughter today who gas become the first member of her family to graduate HS. Leaving for a quick trip to MI to watch my granddaughter and grandson run in two track meets. I advised the graduate to savor every moment of her graduation ceremony and remember that it is her accomplishment and it can never be taken from her. I myself crossed that stage 5 times. The first two came easily. The third took 17 years and many restarts to accomplish. The fourth required the faith of my wife that let me walk away from a secure job to get through two years of grad school. The last came after two years of distance learning while working full time and paid for by my employer. I remember and savor every one of those ceremonies because they belong to me and no person can take away what I did or how I did it. My advice to young Wole and all others like him is to enjoy, cherish and savor his accomplishments whether on the track or in the classroom. While others have provided support and advice the results are his and his alone. Job well done.
I remember saying similar things to players going into a tourney...nobody can give it to you or take it away...good advice!

Reactions: hgentis
My son's career was much like Taylor's he suffered an injury his senior year in high school at sectionals and couldn't compete at state. he suffered injuries in almost every year at college, but still competed.

By all accounts, he should have ended his college career after his last knee and ankle injury. But he wanted one last competition. So he competed at the Conference Championship meet as basically his only outdoor competition this year. After finishing third last year, he finished 6th. He wore shoes without spikes . His jumping events (high jump, hurdles, pole vault, & long jump) all suffered because of his lack of ability to push off.

But rather than using his injury as an excuse for not performing well or up to his own personal standards, he maintained the attitude of look what I can do while being injured.

And what did he receive for all his efforts? No championship trophy or ribbons. Rather, he received a college degree, several letters of recommendation, a published newspaper interview, acceptance into grad school, a personal graduation ceremony with other athletes with the SIU chancellor, and an offer to be an SIU assistant track coach for next year. That's a pretty good haul for a kid from a small town Illinois high school.

My son's career was much like Taylor's he suffered an injury his senior year in high school at sectionals and couldn't compete at state. he suffered injuries in almost every year at college, but still competed.

By all accounts, he should have ended his college career after his last knee and ankle injury. But he wanted one last competition. So he competed at the Conference Championship meet as basically his only outdoor competition this year. After finishing third last year, he finished 6th. He wore shoes without spikes . His jumping events (high jump, hurdles, pole vault, & long jump) all suffered because of his lack of ability to push off.

But rather than using his injury as an excuse for not performing well or up to his own personal standards, he maintained the attitude of look what I can do while being injured.

And what did he receive for all his efforts? No championship trophy or ribbons. Rather, he received a college degree, several letters of recommendation, a published newspaper interview, acceptance into grad school, a personal graduation ceremony with other athletes with the SIU chancellor, and an offer to be an SIU assistant track coach for next year. That's a pretty good haul for a kid from a small town Illinois high school.
perhaps the most important thing he learned or reaffirmed was to persevere when things are not going your way...

That's a great deal for anyone from Illinois.:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT