ADVERTISEMENT

One of the most exciting things about this team

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
is seeing who will step up on any given night.

I don't ever remember a team with a legitimate threat of 7 guys that can go off at any time.

Might be my favorite Boiler team of all time.

Reactions: WarBoiler44
is seeing who will step up on any given night.

I don't ever remember a team with a legitimate threat of 7 guys that can go off at any time.

Might be my favorite Boiler team of all time.
Some seem to worry that this team doesn't have a "red button" alpha dog like Moore or Hummel to step up when a game is on the line. But as you point out, it has 6-8 "beta" dogs that can be "alpha" on any given night depending on game situation, matchups, who's hot, etc. That will drive opposing coaches scheming game ending defenses crazy.

I think those are over-rated. For every story of Danny Manning or Carmelo putting a team on his back and carrying him all the way, there are 2 or 3 examples of teams that are very balanced. Duke was a case in point last year. Okafor and Winslow could sit much of the championship game on the sidelines, and they still pulled it out. The Florida teams in particular were very well balanced.

Talented balanced teams are a lot tougher to shut down than a team with just one trick pony.

Even though he's not scoring much, I think Vince will become our new "Red Button." That's not to say he'll dominate every night, but when we need someone to close out a game for us, it will be him. Painter trusted him enough to take the final shot against Cincinnati last year, and that trust should only be higher as the kid gets better and more confident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT