ADVERTISEMENT

PROUD of this team!!

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
First outright B10 champs.

Two, one of the best coaches in the nation has done another great job bringing talent along.

Third, two frosh who started all year in a league and especially a team where that is rare.

Forth, the defensive improvement over last year's team is remarkable.... especially starting 2 frosh who are usually clueless on D.

Fifth, have guys in bench doing their role without complaining and being team guys where some could be starters in other teams.

Finally, just a great performance by a bunch of young men picked to be mid pack and maybe an NCAAT.....about to get at least a top 2 seed in the NCAAT.

Boiler up!! Great season no matter how it ends!!

First outright B10 champs.

Two, one of the best coaches in the nation has done another great job bringing talent along.

Third, two frosh who started all year in a league and especially a team where that is rare.

Forth, the defensive improvement over last year's team is remarkable.... especially starting 2 frosh who are usually clueless on D.

Fifth, have guys in bench doing their role without complaining and being team guys where some could be starters in other teams.

Finally, just a great performance by a bunch of young men picked to be mid pack and maybe an NCAAT.....about to get at least a top 2 seed in the NCAAT.

Boiler up!! Great season no matter how it ends!!
No question this team has overachieved and all fans should be ecstatic on how this season has played out.

Wisconsin lost to Kansas by 1 neutral court

and won at Marquette by 3. Their overall record may not say much but still.

We beat them on their home court.

And look at the Purdue / Wisconsin box score.

All 9 Purdue players played 13 or more minutes. And Morton did more with less time. Getting Newman and Jenkins more time helped Morton and Smith.

That is "finding the balance around Zach" and will need to continue in the Big Dance.

Last edited:
Wisconsin lost to Kansas by 1 neutral court

and won at Marquette by 3. Their overall record may not say much but still.

We beat them on their home court.

And look at the Purdue / Wisconsin box score.

All 9 Purdue players played 13 or more minutes. And Morton did more with less time. Getting Newman and Jenkins more time helped Morton and Smith.

That is "finding the balance around Zach" and will need to continue in the Big Dance.
They gave Michigan a scare on the road in their previous game without Hepburn the last 8 minutes or so. They should have won it but Dickinson hit that 3 to send to OT.

Painter has done another great coaching job and these players have done great. This definitely isn’t a top 10 talent team. Not to be negative Nancy and I could be wrong but I don’t expect them to make it past the sweet 16. I would consider going to the sweet 16 a huge success. However many fans don’t see it that way and will be calling for painters job if that happens. Just bracing for it.

Reactions: rgarlitz
No question this team has overachieved and all fans should be ecstatic on how this season has played out.
I have always struggled with "overachieved" meaning I don't know how to logically use what is so commonly used? If you achieved something, it was well within the capabilities of doing so. Perhaps, the achievement was just much closer to potential ceiling? Anyway, not trying to pick on your wording because it is quite common even if I can't logically align with it. That said, Purdue accomplished more than many thought possible!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter has done another great coaching job and these players have done great. This definitely isn’t a top 10 talent team. Not to be negative Nancy and I could be wrong but I don’t expect them to make it past the sweet 16. I would consider going to the sweet 16 a huge success. However many fans don’t see it that way and will be calling for painters job if that happens. Just bracing for it.
Fans can arrive at their opinions a lot of ways and forums are open to all kinds of opinions... ;)

They gave Michigan a scare on the road in their previous game without Hepburn the last 8 minutes or so. They should have won it but Dickinson hit that 3 to send to OT.
I love this team through both the highs and the lows. We've had contributions from everybody in the rotation. Who expected this much success? Nobody. Enjoy these guys because they're only going to get better. It's a great time to be a Purdue fan. Bitchers bitch. Don't be one of them. BTFU!

I have always struggled with "overachieved" meaning I don't know how to logically use what is so commonly used? If you achieved something, it was well within the capabilities of doing so. Perhaps, the achievement was just much closer to potential ceiling? Anyway, not trying to pick on your wording because it is quite common even if I can't logically align with it. That said, Purdue accomplished more than many thought possible!
You answered your own question. ;)

Last edited:
clarified "my understandings"...

You mean you amplified your answer, TJ?

giphy.gif

I don't think pointing out that Purdue looks more like a S16 team than a FF team is being negative--because it's probably true. Purdue had an awesome Thanksgiving weekend that shot expectations through the stratosphere. Purdue then kept those expectations going through January with a comparatively light B1G schedule. Before we knew it, the team was 21-1. I mean, who wouldn't start dreaming about what might be?

But, the second half of the conference schedule has shown that this team is far from perfect. Purdue has struggled against top-flight B1G teams--especially those with athletic backcourts. As of this morning, Purdue is 9-0 against teams that are below .500 in the B1G but just 5-5 vs. teams that are over .500. That's reality.

Purdue is also one of only eight D1 teams to win 25 of their first 30 games. No team does that without being very good. Purdue has also beaten 3 conference champions. Again, mediocre teams don't do that.

At the same time, there probably are limitations to how far a Braden Smith/Fletcher Loyer-led back court can realistically take the team this year. We can either bemoan that or celebrate what the team has actually accomplished.

I don't think pointing out that Purdue looks more like a S16 team than a FF team is being negative--because it's probably true. Purdue had an awesome Thanksgiving weekend that shot expectations through the stratosphere. Purdue then kept those expectations going through January with a comparatively light B1G schedule. Before we knew it, the team was 21-1. I mean, who wouldn't start dreaming about what might be?

But, the second half of the conference schedule has shown that this team is far from perfect. Purdue has struggled against top-flight B1G teams--especially those with athletic backcourts. As of this morning, Purdue is 9-0 against teams that are below .500 in the B1G but just 5-5 vs. teams that are over .500. That's reality.

Purdue is also one of only eight D1 teams to win 25 of their first 30 games. No team does that without being very good. Purdue has also beaten 3 conference champions. Again, mediocre teams don't do that.

At the same time, there probably are limitations to how far a Braden Smith/Fletcher Loyer-led back court can realistically take the team this year. We can either bemoan that or celebrate what the team has actually accomplished.
Ya im probably just reading a few clowns on social media that like to complain. Even if the get bounced in the first weekend It’s still been a great season and we all should be excited for the future.

Getting bounced early would probably be the final straw for Edey to return.

This team is a year away from its peak. If he stays and improves even more (say shot from elbow extended) and Loyer hits the weight room, along with Gillis and Morton being seniors……That is a sliver lining I can deal with.

This is the most accurate analysis of our season I have read. Before the season started, I thought we might make the sweet sixteen. It would not surprise me if that was the ceiling too. Remember, the 9th best team in the country doesn't get to the Elite Eight, right? Then you throw match up issues and luck into the pot. I think rgarlitz is right on target.

I'd say going into the season, if you looked at this team's parts, would have projected this level of success? If not, then the sum of the parts came together in such a way to exceed your expectations. I think when a team exceeds expectations, that's another way of saying "overachieved."

This is the most accurate analysis of our season I have read. Before the season started, I thought we might make the sweet sixteen. It would not surprise me if that was the ceiling too. Remember, the 9th best team in the country doesn't get to the Elite Eight, right? Then you throw match up issues and luck into the pot. I think rgarlitz is right on target.
Many times in the tournament the better team doesn’t always win. That team just wins on that day for one game. The better team is determined over the course of a season.

Many times in the tournament the better team doesn’t always win. That team just wins on that day for one game. The better team is determined over the course of a season.
Very true. Think how different - and more exciting - the endless NBA playoffs would be if it were single elimination.

It's awfully unfair to the boys for US to feel like we back doored our way into a Big 10 championship.
My own disappointment in the way things slid certainly shows in some of my posts.
Just plain wrong...
So happy to see them celebrating as they should and no negativity to be found. :)
To start 2 freshmen guards, shoot a miserable 32% from 3 as a team, and yet be 25-5, ranked 5th in the country and outright Big 10 champs is nigh on amazing.
And probably one of coach Painters best efforts.
Next few weeks will determine where on his ladder of success they will stand.
It "feels" like the shooting is starting to come around even if the numbers don't show it yet. Everyone 'seems" to be making a couple each now and getting more involved. Was really nice to see Fletcher involved and productive against Wisc.
It feels like Brandon Newman is settling down and giving the effort at all times that will let him see the court more often. And that gives us another shooter and another chance for a role player to influence a big game.
Need to see Caleb more involved, this team is on another level when he gets 10+- boards and is just active and running. Need to see Mason become that shooting threat again and pull that opposing forward out with him.
We never were as good or as a dominating as we appeared to be early on.
They played very very well for a young team early, and then had their freshmen (and others) struggles later on, when teams saw us get bullied and it succeed.
Reality is much closer to the last 6 games but I think we swung hard to the other extreme, our worst selves, during that time. And we'd win several of those losses if played again.

In short (too late) - good but not dominating team. Seem to be pulling out of season low funk but not out yet.
Really been an amazing season and we DID see the KY effect here in VERY short order.... (expect to win, cry if we don't play perfectly)
So who thought we'd be a legit top 10 team this year?

Ya im probably just reading a few clowns on social media that like to complain. Even if the get bounced in the first weekend It’s still been a great season and we all should be excited for the future.
I expect them to go past the first weekend, but if they don't they will join many other teams that didn't this year and many years before. A lot of odd things can happen in a single elimination for a variety of reasons

Reactions: rgarlitz and SKYDOG
I'd say going into the season, if you looked at this team's parts, would have projected this level of success? If not, then the sum of the parts came together in such a way to exceed your expectations. I think when a team exceeds expectations, that's another way of saying "overachieved."
I get all of that. I'm just unsure if anyone can "achieve more" than they can achieve or should achieve. Now I get exceeding expectations, and I know most, if not almost all, don't give a second thought to using the word "overachieved". It is just one of those word combinations that strike me odd and since odd many times is used to refer to the unusual...I resemble that remark when saying I struggle with the word combination of "overachieved" and know, I'm the odd one with that content... ;)

You mean you amplified your answer, TJ?

giphy.gif
just a little. WHEN I AMPLIFY THINGS MANY TIMES I YELL OR SPEAK SO THOSE THE DON'T HAVE HEARING AIDS DON'T NEED THEM. AS AN EXAMPLE I WAS YELLING LAST NIGHT WHEN FOX1 SHOWED FOR SEVERAL MINUTES A GAME THAT HAD LITTLE INTEREST THAT WAS OVER AS EVERYONE STOOD AROUND LOOKING UP AT THE SCOREBORD. THEN I WAS YELLING...LOUDER THAN RIGHT NOW!!!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB and rgarlitz

Nice write up. Who are the 3 conference champs we beat?
Marquette, other 2?

Reactions: rgarlitz
I get all of that. I'm just unsure if anyone can "achieve more" than they can achieve or should achieve. Now I get exceeding expectations, and I know most, if not almost all, don't give a second thought to using the word "overachieved". It is just one of those word combinations that strike me odd and since odd many times is used to refer to the unusual...I resemble that remark when saying I struggle with the word combination of "overachieved" and know, I'm the odd one with that content... ;)
I think it just comes down to objective projections of what an individual or team's level of success is expected to be. I agree that when an individual or team achieves a level of success, subjectively, it is impossible to say they overachieved. But, against an objective standard, they can be call overachievers. I think we'd all have to agree on that. So, I don't think your thought process is odd, it's just focused on the subjective side.

I think it just comes down to objective projections of what an individual or team's level of success is expected to be. I agree that when an individual or team achieves a level of success, subjectively, it is impossible to say they overachieved. But, against an objective standard, they can be call overachievers. I think we'd all have to agree on that. So, I don't think your thought process is odd, it's just focused on the subjective side.
Okay, I wanted to be odd! ;) Still, isn't an "objective standard" subjective between sources? Each may have a different "objective standard" and meeting those different standards held by different people would be achieving "that" standard that was subjective between people. I just think that when something achieves it doesn't achieve more, but just achieves.

I get what you are saying, but this needs to die and hopefully I expressed myself a bit towards the phrase "over achieves". It isn't important...just a phrase that hits me odd... ;)

Okay, I wanted to be odd! ;) Still, isn't an "objective standard" subjective between sources? Each may have a different "objective standard" and meeting those different standards held by different people would be achieving "that" standard that was subjective between people. I just think that when something achieves it doesn't achieve more, but just achieves.

I get what you are saying, but this needs to die and hopefully I expressed myself a bit towards the phrase "over achieves". It isn't important...just a phrase that hits me odd... ;)
I’m not certain I can let this die until you agree with me. Up to you. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT