ADVERTISEMENT

might as well share here???

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
I think it would do many good to go back and watch the last 15 minutes or so and see who was playing then and played later and then actually see what took place against the press and if those were player issues or system issues...Next actually see when PSU went zone and whether Purdue got great shots or not...and then now that the emotional effect is over see if the previous thoughts have the same strength after watching it and rewinding it and giving it some thought.

There are legitimate concerns for Purdue, but most wouldn't be noticed if Purdue made a few shots or if missing...maybe taking less of those types of shots. That said, I'm not a big fan of doubling the post if Zach is in great shape foul wise with time left in the game or Trey is in there and can generally do okay against his man. I'm not a fan of getting the ball so close to the baseline and particularly the corners and so I wish a bit better spacing. I'm also a bit skeptical in fouling to prevent a good shot in the closing seconds of the first half if they are not in bonus with your STARTERS. If you know it is going to foul within a couple of seconds, can't some that may not be as critical learn to foul appropriately. So, like others I have some things that I wish were different, but it gets a little crazy when all presses are created equal as though they are to do the same thing and we lump them all together into what is called a "press" and the notion that the coaching staff does not know how to break a press.

Nobody made Brandon throw the ball back to a PSU player under their basket. Nobody made Mason stop around half court with the ball and actually place the ball above his head where the double team could get a jump ball. Even past half court when PSU was in a zone and decided to double team Braden in front of the Purdue bench, nobody made him inadvertently reverse pivot and step on the side line in front of the Purdue bench.

Then you have PSU in a zone and Purdue scores 2 times out of the first 3 times. Brandon at the top and Gillis on the baseline and Braden misses a wide open floater. Purdue wasn't hitting any shots at a high rate and "most" were from areas on the court those players can make.

There are legitimate concerns in handling the press, but I'm much more concerned about making shots and I don't care if they are 3s or not. Depending on time and score, there are times Purdue would be better off in using the whole clock and handing the other team the ball than shooting a 3 early in the clock and hitting 1/3 depending on clock. This team team has some physical limitations due to its youth as well as some mental inexperiences, but it is a good team...warts and all. Now if only Purdue players can contain the dribble a bit so there is less help and recover and keep cool and fundamental as a player against the press and find the middle of that rim...this team can go far...warts and all...and with that coach "some" don't think understands how to break "a" press. Enjoy the ride...few expected this year to be sooooooooo good.

It used to be that these forums were insufferable after a loss. Now we win three on a row to take the B1G tournament and people still complain. Progress?
Fans are fans. There are a couple of reasons why coaches that go to scout sit up high and away from everyone. ;) There are a lot of legitimate concerns, a lot of wishes that so and so would do this or that. I get all that, and there are times I get really frustrated in seeing some things continue to go on. That said, a coach can only do so much and the fact remains that those in the business see Matt as a damn good coach...one of the best. Sure, all of those may have a different take on different things, but the total package is well respected not just in the quality of the player Matt recruits...and works with when they error, but in his basketball knowledge as well. There is progress in the skill and athleticism of the recruits moreso today that a few years ago.

There is still room to grow, but these are kids and no matter how frustrated we get and although I'm pretty quiet in watching games on TV with the exceptions I ask Kim if she wants to know why they aligned like they are doing or want me to rewind it and show you what happened...there are times I just explode and an F-bomb may slip where she exchanges with another Purdue lady (a head in the northern half of the state for Ivy Tech) which husband let it slip first. No matter how frustrated I get, and it gets better with time, when Purdue loses as it has, and will in the future, I know that the players and coaches are the ones that spent the hours honing the skills, playing the what if before and after games, reviewing games and player tendencies and trying to get everyone on the same page...it is the coaches and players that have paid the price and suffer more than the fan that put so little into the outcome knowing nothing that went on in practice prior to the game. It isn't a video game where Matt just tells people what to do, but young men each having their own battles and distractions...each with different buttons to push for motivations, each needing to focus on the task with so many friends and families that may be providing distractions away from a more successful team whether health, girfriend...battles going on that we don't know that "may" be affecting in some little matter a slight distraction when a particular teaching point either in the huddle or practice was mentioned.

Ultimately it is the Purdue coaching staff, players and families paying the price for our enjoyment something I may have missed decades ago...

I think it would do many good to go back and watch the last 15 minutes or so and see who was playing then and played later and then actually see what took place against the press and if those were player issues or system issues...Next actually see when PSU went zone and whether Purdue got great shots or not...and then now that the emotional effect is over see if the previous thoughts have the same strength after watching it and rewinding it and giving it some thought.

There are legitimate concerns for Purdue, but most wouldn't be noticed if Purdue made a few shots or if missing...maybe taking less of those types of shots. That said, I'm not a big fan of doubling the post if Zach is in great shape foul wise with time left in the game or Trey is in there and can generally do okay against his man. I'm not a fan of getting the ball so close to the baseline and particularly the corners and so I wish a bit better spacing. I'm also a bit skeptical in fouling to prevent a good shot in the closing seconds of the first half if they are not in bonus with your STARTERS. If you know it is going to foul within a couple of seconds, can't some that may not be as critical learn to foul appropriately. So, like others I have some things that I wish were different, but it gets a little crazy when all presses are created equal as though they are to do the same thing and we lump them all together into what is called a "press" and the notion that the coaching staff does not know how to break a press.

Nobody made Brandon throw the ball back to a PSU player under their basket. Nobody made Mason stop around half court with the ball and actually place the ball above his head where the double team could get a jump ball. Even past half court when PSU was in a zone and decided to double team Braden in front of the Purdue bench, nobody made him inadvertently reverse pivot and step on the side line in front of the Purdue bench.

Then you have PSU in a zone and Purdue scores 2 times out of the first 3 times. Brandon at the top and Gillis on the baseline and Braden misses a wide open floater. Purdue wasn't hitting any shots at a high rate and "most" were from areas on the court those players can make.

There are legitimate concerns in handling the press, but I'm much more concerned about making shots and I don't care if they are 3s or not. Depending on time and score, there are times Purdue would be better off in using the whole clock and handing the other team the ball than shooting a 3 early in the clock and hitting 1/3 depending on clock. This team team has some physical limitations due to its youth as well as some mental inexperiences, but it is a good team...warts and all. Now if only Purdue players can contain the dribble a bit so there is less help and recover and keep cool and fundamental as a player against the press and find the middle of that rim...this team can go far...warts and all...and with that coach "some" don't think understands how to break "a" press. Enjoy the ride...few expected this year to be sooooooooo good.
Thank a superior being for your existence!!!!

Thank you for sharing. The one thing I can't help but feel a bit unsettled about is the "few expected this year to be so good" mentality, which I continue to see on here.

I mean, look, I get it -- it's a seemingly true statement and it's important to keep perspective, but why we are allowing that previous expectation to dictate the current expectation? Clearly, expectations before the season were way off!

Of course, enjoying the ride/journey is the most fulfilling aspect, but wanting a #1 seed to make a run to the Final Four is probably what every fanbase would do if the team they support was a #1 seed.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Thank you for sharing. The one thing I can't help but feel a bit unsettled about is the "few expected this year to be so good" mentality, which I continue to see on here.

I mean, look, I get it -- it's a seemingly true statement and it's important to keep perspective, but why we are allowing that previous expectation to dictate the current expectation? Clearly, expectations before the season were way off!

Of course, enjoying the ride/journey is the most fulfilling aspect, but wanting a #1 seed to make a run to the Final Four is probably what every fanbase would do if the team they support was a #1 seed.
It should, but the archives would show I thought this team would be better than last year. Not many shared that and an IU fan said I was nuts after losing Trey and Jaden, but I saw winners, good kids with some ability and some personal insight into Braden since I watched him before Purdue. I saw players that would play 40 minutes not 35 and those winners would put more effort into D. I just didn't think it would happen before sometime in January. Where I may differ from some in the FF thought is that yes, it is very possible, but I know you not only have to be good, but lucky as well. Purdue today is built around Zach and for whatever reason if he would not perform as expected...and it may not even be under his control...that hurts Purdue. Still, I'm unsure I will every have "expectations" of a final four anymore than predicting what "week" Purdue may be playing its best ball and with a team capable of beating the best. The FF is a hot streak team many times. Don't get me wrong...the teams are good, but they are having things fall into place and I truly believe that if the same brackets were played later, the results would be different. Some with an overload of talent may make it again, but others would be replaced by another team that played very well for 3 days and well for a couple of days before.

If Purdue hits its free throws down the stretch, this is much less of a conversation. I think it’s mostly mental where some of the guys are really feeling the pressure when trying to hold onto a lead late.

7 points in last 6 minutes.
Yep that is an issue.
Yeah, but PSU could say the same thing before half when Purdue made their run. It is a game of runs. I think it had to be more than 7 unless it was 6+ minutes, because when PSU went zone I think it was Brandon who hit a 3 on top and Mason who hit a 3 on the left baseline...and thought Braden got 2 FTs with Fletch only getting the one FT and so I'm thinking maybe 9 in 6+, but the point you make is that 7 is NOT enough UNLESS you really play the clock with some smarts.

It doesn't take a lot of math to figure out that if you kill 30 seconds and then hand the other team the ball that a certain lead is enough for the clock, but when you don't use the clock and get nothing or turn it over quickly getting more possessions with the remaining clock that shouldn't happen that game defined by "leading score" closing by clock (pts & clock) make needing a larger lead or some more scoring as you state.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Maybe it's as simple as we just don't have enough guys who are great at bringing the ball up the court. Braden and DJJ are the only guys who look comfortable with the ball in their hands in the back court. When Braden gets tired at the end of the game, and we've seen that happen, then we're down to 1 guy. More minutes for Jenkins during the game would keep Braden fresher and just might make a difference.

Maybe it's as simple as we just don't have enough guys who are great at bringing the ball up the court. Braden and DJJ are the only guys who look comfortable with the ball in their hands in the back court. When Braden gets tired at the end of the game, and we've seen that happen, then we're down to 1 guy. More minutes for Jenkins during the game would keep Braden fresher and just might make a difference.
IMO it is a fine line how many minutes Braden gets. He is the second most "impactful" player on the team since he does what others cannot do and so you want him on the court, but he does need to be fresh... 15/16 minutes each half would be great. If this team were a dribble drive team you would have more ball handlers since that is their offense. A zone press for most teams requires organization to break it and why some teams use it just to eat clock through the organization needed. Players must shoot through gaps at the right time and the pass has to be at the right time...and then what does the player do when his desired ball placement is denied by the team that also knows what you want to do. This is where some quickness helps.

The biggest thing for Purdue when struggling is to NOT turn it over giving the other team a bucket. If a team presses full game, Purdue should get better after a few possessions and should have enough depth to be okay. Outside of Maryland, "presses" seemed to cause problems if implemented in the final minutes indicating that the pressing team was concerned of the risks of doing so too early in that towards the end of the game it "may not" be as effective if pressed a lot earlier or that team had their own fears of implementing a press...otherwise, why not do it all game or much earlier? With a lead in the closing minutes it is much better to take 9 seconds to get it across than earlier in the game where there will be lots of scoring needed...all "enhanced" by getting up the court quick enough to allow more time to run things and actually have a counter or so with enough time. So see what is there and have some poise and be far enough away that you are a threat, but close enough to help if the ball player is about to get trapped.

Here is the thing when refs let the hacking all go in games. Traps by their very nature must come together at the same time to be effective IF the refs are watching the bodies and hands. If a second apart or such on traps and the refs make the calls, the ball handler is on a single defensive player. Once you and the D are "moving" get a shoulder as you dribble and see if you make it obvious the defender is fouling you... if easy to do. Embracing that contact rather than the other player "funnelling" you to where he wants you can be effective as well IMO.

Painter has created teams around dominant huge centers, surrounded by not so athletic ( by division one standards) shooters. When the other teams are more athletic, quicker and long it gives Purdue problems. When the “ shooters” surrounding the big aren’t shooting well, Matts system is even more challenged. Now, the system has worked well enough to make sweet sixteens, win some BIG Tens and an elite 8. Purdue has a fine program, but not an elite program. To make a final four the athleticism issue won’t go away, so the shooting has to be good enough to build a lead large enough to hold on at the end when a few bad turnovers occur. And of course, the bounces and refs have to lean your way.

Painter has created teams around dominant huge centers, surrounded by not so athletic ( by division one standards) shooters. When the other teams are more athletic, quicker and long it gives Purdue problems. When the “ shooters” surrounding the big aren’t shooting well, Matts system is even more challenged. Now, the system has worked well enough to make sweet sixteens, win some BIG Tens and an elite 8. Purdue has a fine program, but not an elite program. To make a final four the athleticism issue won’t go away, so the shooting has to be good enough to build a lead large enough to hold on at the end when a few bad turnovers occur. And of course, the bounces and refs have to lean your way.

What is your theory as to why athleticism bother the Purdue system in March and not November?

I believe it is all about execution of whatever system you use perhaps more so than particular differences. With those centers you mention Purdue has elevated the Purdue program from where it was to having a number one team the last couple of years during certain segments of time. If you recall recruiting talent was just not finding its way to Purdue and so Matt was able to get good 5s that people were not particularly trying hard to get and in doing so, he has improved Purdue quite a lot by doing such. Now, 5s are hopeful Purdue is interested in them and along the way the talent is getting better.

For anyone that has read much of what I have typed over the years they know I am biased towards a couple of 6’9” 4s to play along side of each other…players that can go inside and out and so this style is not my desired style, but I can also see how effective it has been. If it was good enough for top teams in the season, why would it not be good enough it the tourney…just talking system and not players? What happens in a tourney that makes it less effective than sometime earlier? Remember, I have a personal bias to two 4s and so I'm not against a different style of play...

What is your theory as to why athleticism bother the Purdue system in March and not November?
My 2 cents:

The Purdue system relies on big(s) shooting high % of post up 2's AND everyone else a respectable % of 3's. An off night with low % from 3 and Purdue gets into trouble.

An athletic team would seem to have more offense options.....post up 2's, 3's, mid-range 2's, drives to the hoop, etc.

Hard to be respectable from 3 over 6 straight games against strong teams in the big dance.

Hmm, somewhere ( this thread? ) I have said this particular teams has to shoot over 30%, which they easily did in the early big games. The lack of athleticism is a wart hard to overcome, without something exceptional to offset that weakness. Edey, I believe is exceptional in many ways, height, power, he gets better every week, he is coachable on and on. However, to overcome the wart they have to shoot like they did against Duke and Gonzaga to reach the promised land.

IMO it is a fine line how many minutes Braden gets. He is the second most "impactful" player on the team since he does what others cannot do and so you want him on the court, but he does need to be fresh... 15/16 minutes each half would be great. If this team were a dribble drive team you would have more ball handlers since that is their offense. A zone press for most teams requires organization to break it and why some teams use it just to eat clock through the organization needed. Players must shoot through gaps at the right time and the pass has to be at the right time...and then what does the player do when his desired ball placement is denied by the team that also knows what you want to do. This is where some quickness helps.

The biggest thing for Purdue when struggling is to NOT turn it over giving the other team a bucket. If a team presses full game, Purdue should get better after a few possessions and should have enough depth to be okay. Outside of Maryland, "presses" seemed to cause problems if implemented in the final minutes indicating that the pressing team was concerned of the risks of doing so too early in that towards the end of the game it "may not" be as effective if pressed a lot earlier or that team had their own fears of implementing a press...otherwise, why not do it all game or much earlier? With a lead in the closing minutes it is much better to take 9 seconds to get it across than earlier in the game where there will be lots of scoring needed...all "enhanced" by getting up the court quick enough to allow more time to run things and actually have a counter or so with enough time. So see what is there and have some poise and be far enough away that you are a threat, but close enough to help if the ball player is about to get trapped.

Here is the thing when refs let the hacking all go in games. Traps by their very nature must come together at the same time to be effective IF the refs are watching the bodies and hands. If a second apart or such on traps and the refs make the calls, the ball handler is on a single defensive player. Once you and the D are "moving" get a shoulder as you dribble and see if you make it obvious the defender is fouling you... if easy to do. Embracing that contact rather than the other player "funnelling" you to where he wants you can be effective as well IMO.
You ask why teams don't press us all the time? That's because that isn't what the B1G does. Our conference is so predictable it's ridiculous. And the few teams that do pressure aren't really that good at it. Rutgers just gave up 88 points at home and lost to Hofstra in the NIT opener. They were supposed to be the best defense in the B1G..... I know some here don't like hearing it, but the B1G this year is not very good. That's why I worry when we struggle against pressure against teams like Rutgers or PSU. Those are not good teams.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
You ask why teams don't press us all the time? That's because that isn't what the B1G does. Our conference is so predictable it's ridiculous. And the few teams that do pressure aren't really that good at it. Rutgers just gave up 88 points at home and lost to Hofstra in the NIT opener. They were supposed to be the best defense in the B1G..... I know some here don't like hearing it, but the B1G this year is not very good. That's why I worry when we struggle against pressure against teams like Rutgers or PSU. Those are not good teams.
I don’t disagree that the big doesn’t press all the time, but if you thought Purdue was so bad handling it you would press unless you were worried that it wouldn’t work for long. Maryland even waited until the second half to press Purdue. If the refs call fouls it loses its effectiveness and “generally” teams get better against it as the season progresses

There are good reasons to press Purdue all game without applying a lot of pressure in just eating clock making it more difficult for a 5 at low post to be as effective with less time. I expect to see some press from every team Purdue plays in the tourney, but it isn’t my biggest concern, but could be if my bigger concerns become a reality

That is a lot of fast talking imo. Win you have the horses prove yourself on the big stage nobody cares about your words results is what pays your salary

I don’t disagree that the big doesn’t press all the time, but if you thought Purdue was so bad handling it you would press unless you were worried that it wouldn’t work for long. Maryland even waited until the second half to press Purdue. If the refs call fouls it loses its effectiveness and “generally” teams get better against it as the season progresses

There are good reasons to press Purdue all game without applying a lot of pressure in just eating clock making it more difficult for a 5 at low post to be as effective with less time. I expect to see some press from every team Purdue plays in the tourney, but it isn’t my biggest concern, but could be if my bigger concerns become a reality
Not when that isn't what you do. That was my point, B1G teams don't press. It doesn't matter who the opponent is, they just don't have it in their play book. There are 3 teams out of 14 that will at times put on the press (Maryland, Rutgers and Iowa). Those are not very good teams ( 2 are 8 seeds and Rutgers just gave up 88 points to Hofstra in a loss in NIT).

That was my main point. When we have faced pressure we have not handled it well and that pressure was being put on by teams that, #1 don't do it that often and #2 are not very good teams. You say that teams generally get better with it as the season progresses, that is only true if they face it regularly. That doesn't happen in our conference.

Look, no one will be happier than me to be wrong about this, but I'm very concerned about what we are going to do when we get pressure from a team that actually does it regularly and are good at it. We haven't faced either of those things in the B1G. I would argue that the predictability of the B1G is one of the main reasons we haven't seen a championship in 22 years. But that should probably be a discussion in a different thread.

very few teams, in fact I can't name one, press all the time in NCAA Div 1 basketball today.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
very few teams, in fact I can't name one, press all the time in NCAA Div 1 basketball today.
I didn't say they do. TJ had asked why teams don't press us all the time? I responded that teams don't press much in the B1G period.

I'm not saying anyone is going to press us the whole game. I'm concerned about a good athletic team pressing us at all.

I am glad we are getting pressed in games because realistically there is no way to really simulate the pressure in practice. You can talk it and walk through it but the pressure won't be the same. For example if Smith, Loyer, Morton, Newman and Gillis are in-bounding as quick guys and good FT shooters, what 5 guys left are you going to press them with that represent the pressure they see in big games versus top teams? I personally would like to see Edey on the floor at end of games. He shoots FTs well, can be a big outlet over half court and who is going to leave him alone under the basket if we actually attack a press.

Farleigh Dickinson, a team we may face, presses the most
with one eye open I saw man pressure, run & jump, 1-2-2 zone and I'm thinking maybe another half court zone look, but I was only halfway watching. They actually pressured in man from the start, which was good. Most teams only press when behind in closing minutes and EVERY player should know it is coming if it hasn't already been tried. This should be a good game for Purdue to see more full court D although I wish it were zone. Purdue only has to be aware that a double will come anywhere from 25% to 55% of the court and for those without the ball to be ready when your player goes to double...be where you can get a pass. Purdue "should" destroy a 1-2-2 zone in the half and I think Purdue keeps some perimeter pressure on them with Zach in the middle. Still, they will start out fast especially playing one already, but the good guys should be in good shape and get comfortable in Columbus should the next team zone press.

I'm more concerned about hitting shots by those shooting them that can make them where the shot is taken. I suppose the nature of the FDU coach since he likes pressure it to try to pressure the ball handlers and have Zach come out a step higher. I think this may be a game where we see Braden with a few more lobs to Zach...just want to keep some for the next game. ;) Who knows...just be ready to play early and hopefully a lot of players get minutes...

FDU pressure should not bother us at all. They are small and a very bad team. They are #301 in the net. They are 20-15 and have lost to some very bad teams. Just take care of the ball, get it into the half court and then punish them. We are favored by 23 for what that's worth.

No team presses all the time. Not one. Why? Because it is exhausting.

FDU pressure should not bother us at all. They are small and a very bad team. They are #301 in the net. They are 20-15 and have lost to some very bad teams. Just take care of the ball, get it into the half court and then punish them. We are favored by 23 for what that's worth.
Rutgers is a very bad team as well and we saw what happened there

Styles make fights and these teams have two dramatically different styles. This will either go extraordinarily well or extraordinarily badly, I don't think there will be a middle ground.

Styles make fights and these teams have two dramatically different styles. This will either go extraordinarily well or extraordinarily badly, I don't think there will be a middle ground.
I never watched the game, but it is not unusual for a team to get beat that was considered an important game to come out flat the next game. I don't know if that was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rutgers was a bit flat.

I never watched the game, but it is not unusual for a team to get beat that was considered an important game to come out flat the next game. I don't know if that was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rutgers was a bit flat.
I was referencing our loss to Rutgers in January

Reactions: tjreese
Or the four losses in Feb/Mar. Purdue has some issues that can be exploited by a smaller, faster team.

No team presses all the time. Not one. Why? Because it is exhausting.
Never said any team did. Another poster asked why teams don't press us all the time and I said B1G teams as a rule don't press at all. No idea what your point is??

I don't disagree with your assessment of Rutgers. However, they are much better than FDU. For as bad as Minnesota was this year, they are 80 spots ahead of FDU in the net rankings. This is not a team that should give us issues no matter their style.

“My dad was a big boxing fan. Styles make fights. I thought our style hurt (Purdue) a little bit.” - Tobin Anderson, a true leader of men

I don't disagree with your assessment of Rutgers. However, they are much better than FDU. For as bad as Minnesota was this year, they are 80 spots ahead of FDU in the net rankings. This is not a team that should give us issues no matter their style.

This didn't age well.

ADVERTISEMENT