ADVERTISEMENT

might as well share here???

“My dad was a big boxing fan. Styles make fights. I thought our style hurt (Purdue) a little bit.” - Tobin Anderson, a true leader of men
We shit the bed, plain and simple. Coach and players. FDU will go nowhere in the tournament. They are a bad team, we were just worse tonight.

I think it would do many good to go back and watch the last 15 minutes or so and see who was playing then and played later and then actually see what took place against the press and if those were player issues or system issues...Next actually see when PSU went zone and whether Purdue got great shots or not...and then now that the emotional effect is over see if the previous thoughts have the same strength after watching it and rewinding it and giving it some thought.

There are legitimate concerns for Purdue, but most wouldn't be noticed if Purdue made a few shots or if missing...maybe taking less of those types of shots. That said, I'm not a big fan of doubling the post if Zach is in great shape foul wise with time left in the game or Trey is in there and can generally do okay against his man. I'm not a fan of getting the ball so close to the baseline and particularly the corners and so I wish a bit better spacing. I'm also a bit skeptical in fouling to prevent a good shot in the closing seconds of the first half if they are not in bonus with your STARTERS. If you know it is going to foul within a couple of seconds, can't some that may not be as critical learn to foul appropriately. So, like others I have some things that I wish were different, but it gets a little crazy when all presses are created equal as though they are to do the same thing and we lump them all together into what is called a "press" and the notion that the coaching staff does not know how to break a press.

Nobody made Brandon throw the ball back to a PSU player under their basket. Nobody made Mason stop around half court with the ball and actually place the ball above his head where the double team could get a jump ball. Even past half court when PSU was in a zone and decided to double team Braden in front of the Purdue bench, nobody made him inadvertently reverse pivot and step on the side line in front of the Purdue bench.

Then you have PSU in a zone and Purdue scores 2 times out of the first 3 times. Brandon at the top and Gillis on the baseline and Braden misses a wide open floater. Purdue wasn't hitting any shots at a high rate and "most" were from areas on the court those players can make.

There are legitimate concerns in handling the press, but I'm much more concerned about making shots and I don't care if they are 3s or not. Depending on time and score, there are times Purdue would be better off in using the whole clock and handing the other team the ball than shooting a 3 early in the clock and hitting 1/3 depending on clock. This team team has some physical limitations due to its youth as well as some mental inexperiences, but it is a good team...warts and all. Now if only Purdue players can contain the dribble a bit so there is less help and recover and keep cool and fundamental as a player against the press and find the middle of that rim...this team can go far...warts and all...and with that coach "some" don't think understands how to break "a" press. Enjoy the ride...few expected this year to be sooooooooo good.
Well, we know this didn't happen. ;) "Now if only Purdue players can contain the dribble a bit so there is less help and recover and keep cool and fundamental as a player against the press and find the middle of that rim...this team can go far."

ADVERTISEMENT