ADVERTISEMENT

Ok be honest now

Were you worried when the lead got cut to 9 with a ton of time left?

• Yes

Votes: 51 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.0%

• Total voters
7a74c313-ecf0-4e3e-a0b3-a797858b811e_text.gif

:D

Okay.. they were still up 9, I knew they were going to make a run. More annoyed than scared.

I loved our poise in the face of hostility - but I think we have some defensive issues. When teams get hot, like IU did coming out of the half - we couldn't stop them. Same at NW and NEB. But I have no doubt the hostile crowds at both venues helped us tonight. I felt like they were much more hostile crowds than AH.

I was a bit concerned but knowing how well we played in the first half I felt like we were going to get back on track before it was too late. Great win!

I loved our poise in the face of hostility - but I think we have some defensive issues. When teams get hot, like IU did coming out of the half - we couldn't stop them. Same at NW and NEB. But I have no doubt the hostile crowds at both venues helped us tonight. I felt like they were much more hostile crowds than AH.
I get what you’re saying but that’s basketball— a game of runs my friend!

More than likely both teams will go on “xx-0” runs…if we could stop every teams run, we’d be the best team to ever play the game…but that’s not realistic. We just need to weather the storm and hit em back with a run of our own, which we did, multiple times. Hope we can continue to respond to teams like that throughout the rest of the year.

I would have been worried if they could shoot the ball consistently, but we knew the answer to that question before the game started.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Once CMP put Morton in to be a stopper, I knew that would be either bad or good. But to both CMP's & especially Morton's credit it was a great coaching move. (Dang, that was almost hard to type....lol).
Morton played nice D last night but let's face it he was "stopping" Galloway a guy who scores 10 points per game and shoots 28% from 3.

As the season progresses, I'm starting to believe Jones is the biggest difference. Last year if Loyer or Smith had an off night we were in trouble. Last night Smith couldn't throw it in the ocean but we got more than enough offense from Loyer and Jones to make up for it. We didn't have that luxury last year.

Morton played nice D last night but let's face it he was "stopping" Galloway a guy who scores 10 points per game and shoots 28% from 3.

While that's true, Kansas couldn't stop Galloway in the 2H and almost lost because of it. Galloway scored 28 that game

Putting a stop to IU's only guard who can do... anything... offensively, pushed our lead back to 15+.

Galloway is maddeningly streaky for a senior. He really needs to be Ethan Morton for us, the first perimeter player off the bench. But he has to be IU's best guard and that's just not what he is.

While that's true, Kansas couldn't stop Galloway in the 2H and almost lost because of it. Galloway scored 28 that game

Putting a stop to IU's only guard who can do... anything... offensively, pushed our lead back to 15+.

Galloway is maddeningly streaky for a senior. He really needs to be Ethan Morton for us, the first perimeter player off the bench. But he has to be IU's best guard and that's just not what he is.
Exactly...good assessment of him. Streaky like Loyer but shoots under 30% from 3 for the year.

Not last night -- until Morton got the assignment. Up to that point, no other Boilermaker was getting it done.

PSU was pretty empty?

As the season progresses, I'm starting to believe Jones is the biggest difference. Last year if Loyer or Smith had an off night we were in trouble. Last night Smith couldn't throw it in the ocean but we got more than enough offense from Loyer and Jones to make up for it. We didn't have that luxury last year.
Not sure he is the biggest, but Lance is definitely a difference maker.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I get what you’re saying but that’s basketball— a game of runs my friend!

More than likely both teams will go on “xx-0” runs…if we could stop every teams run, we’d be the best team to ever play the game…but that’s not realistic. We just need to weather the storm and hit em back with a run of our own, which we did, multiple times. Hope we can continue to respond to teams like that throughout the rest of the year.
Runs.....I had the runs last week 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Not last night -- until Morton got the assignment. Up to that point, no other Boilermaker was getting it done.
Agree, but Galloway is the type of guy Morton can slow down. Bigger guard without a lot of quickness. Morton does okay against smaller guards but definitely isn't a stopper against them.

Not sure he is the biggest, but Lance is definitely a difference maker.
What would you consider the "biggest"? Not saying you're wrong. Just curious.

The only other obvious difference would be the increase in the three-point shooting percentage (particularly Loyer) but one could argue that is impacted by the presence of Jones.

My thought was with Morton starting most of last year and the inconsistency from last year's bench guys, if Loyer or Smith had a bad game those back court points weren't coming from anywhere else.

We may have beaten IU without Jones but we don't have a backcourt guy coming off the bench who is even capable of scoring 17 points in a game at this point in their career. Maybe Colvin but as we have seen, that would create a lot of other issues.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash

The only other obvious difference would be the increase in the three-point shooting percentage (particularly Loyer) but one could argue that is impacted by the presence of Jones.

My thought was with Morton starting most of last year and the inconsistency from last year's bench guys, if Loyer or Smith had a bad game those back court points weren't coming from anywhere else.

We may have beaten IU without Jones but we don't have a backcourt guy coming off the bench who is even capable of scoring 17 points in a game at this point in their career. Maybe Colvin but as we have seen, that would create a lot of other issues.
I have no idea how to justify anyone as the biggest. I see so many things that are intertwined together in a team game it is hard to say what is the biggest. I know he is huge for Purdue and have stated that before. I think Zach moving better is huge and Matt trusting Zach to play D without help due Zach's improved quickness is also huge. I think Braden has improved and his play is huge. I don't know that anyone's contributions are bigger than Lance's, but also don't know that he is the biggest.

Trying to quantify that assumes
1)some contributions are more important than others (some obviously are)
2) while at the same time assumes nobody improves from last year and that the team doesn't morf a bit different and is still really good. Bottom line Lance has been huge and his contributions based upon what was believed coming into the season is as big as anyone, and maybe the biggest? No disagreement with you, just reluctant to attempt to quantify him as the biggest although someone could make a strong case for him. I don't get so sure of anything in basketball. Age has shown me the game is sometimes unpredictable as are projecting future teams...even if it returns many players due to chemistry and such. He is as good of a choice as any and believe most would agree with that

Last edited:
Agree, but Galloway is the type of guy Morton can slow down. Bigger guard without a lot of quickness. Morton does okay against smaller guards but definitely isn't a stopper against them.
Give credit where it's due. Morton had a really good defensive game. Morton -- no one else -- stopped Galloway, who led IU back into the game, causing anxiety flash-backs to many Boiler fans. But his best play was to block Xavier Johnson's breakaway hot dog shot.

Lance takes an incredible amount of pressure off Smith/Loyer.
Every time Lance gets a breakout, Fletcher gets another 3" of room. And the pressure drops for him to make a jumper.
He's a godsend for this team. And changes their dynamic.
And that's ignoring the 3's he hits as well.
Factor in that he takes the best offensive player in the back court night in and out, regardless of size or position.
no brainer

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT