ADVERTISEMENT

Say Houston loses a game, how far would they drop?

How many spots would they drop?

• 1-2

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • 5+

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Curious as to what you think as they are top 3 right now, so how many spots would they drop?

Teams who have early season success tend not to drop very far with a late season loss. In the other hand, teams that start the season unranked or lower ranked find it very hard to climb very high after a big late season win.

It is better to be good early in the season if your only goal is to be rated high in the rankings. People that do the voting tend to shrug off late season losses.

I’m not saying that’s right but looking at history that’s the way it is. Purdue had several late season losses last year but still kept their #1 seed although it was clear they didn’t deserve it with the way they were playing at the end of last year. The voters ignored their late season losses.

A question arises. If you are a coach, would you rather enter the NCAA tournament with a high ranking and a high seed, or would you rather your team be lower ranked with a lower seed. But with victories in your last 6 games heading into the tournament?

I’m thinking I’d rather be that 6th seed Who is hot riding that 6 game winning streak. You have nothing to lose. Looking at the Green Bay Packers, their last Super Bowl was won when they were the wild card team! Having the #1 seed was a curse. The Diamondbacks and rangers were both wild card teams. Being #1 was a curse for the Braves and Dodgers. Being #1 was a curse for the mil bucks!

Ask yourself, when was the last time the #1 seed won the ncaa tourney? If Jim painter, I would not want to be #1 or worry about team rankings and who loves or votes for Kansas or Houston. Rankings in December and January don’t matter.

Houston isn’t that good, they do play great defense, offensively very mediocre. Sweet 16 max I would guess.

And that gies to the heart of the question. If a mediocre Houdyon plays weak teams then loses against a decent team do others realize they weren't that good and drop the Moreno than a KU or AZ playing against a quality team (I e., Purdue, Uconn)?

And that gies to the heart of the question. If a mediocre Houdyon plays weak teams then loses against a decent team do others realize they weren't that good and drop the Moreno than a KU or AZ playing against a quality team (I e., Purdue, Uconn)?
Tbh it doesn’t bother me one bit. If they’re overrated then I hope we play them and beat them. If they’re good, I hope we can beat them if we play em in the tourney.

But to answer your question, they’d probably have to drop either a really bad loss or lose two in a row or in a 4 game span to bad teams.

I saw somewhere that they have played 7 quad 4 teams.....When non of the top 5 teams had not played one quad four team

Not gonna lie, based on several threads you have started, you seem to have a weird obsession with the voting polls. They are either going to prove themselves in Big 12 play and earn their ranking, or lose some games and fall to an appropriate level. Either way the resume will speak for itself come tournament seeding time, not these polls.
I find it more strange (but equally un-concerning) that they are ahead of us in kenpom.

It’s like hearing about an undefeated little league team mentioned in conversation about the best pro team - almost as if some pollsters’ brains are incapable of assessing teams’ success vs level of competition. To the OP’s question - I don't have confidence pollsters would correctly evaluate them after a loss so I expect they wouldn't fall much further than a team with a big boy schedule. Voters are too connected to their human egos.

RPI is looking a little more realistic on Houston right now at #6.

I also get the clown from the Ft. Wayne paper voting for them probably just to spite us, but am confused who else, outside a few Houston-area homers would have them at the top.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I'm not concerned about houston or any ranking of teams in December and January. Look at UNC last year.

for that matter, look at purdue's ranking last January . it was kind of meaningless.

fans love to talk about rankings. but the more you talk about your January ranking, the more people rub it in your face when you lose in march. I'd rather win in march than worry about the january rankings.

You’re right, he is an IU grad. It would take a degree from that place and some moral gymnastics to be from this state and have this as your 1-2 poll. They’re probably getting great journalism up there in the sports section of that rag.

Yikes 16/25 of his ranked teams are “extreme picks”. I’m all for AP voters having differing opinions on where teams should be ranked, but some people just legitimately do not deserve to have a ballot. Having Ole Miss at 4 is unbelievably laughable.

Reactions: Dryfly88 and DrEss
Yikes 16/25 of his ranked teams are “extreme picks”. I’m all for AP voters having differing opinions on where teams should be ranked, but some people just legitimately do not deserve to have a ballot. Having Ole Miss at 4 is unbelievably laughable.
Delusional, well, an IU grad.

I recall some baseball HOF voters would refuse to vote for certain players because they didn’t want the player to be unanimous on their first vote. It’s like, I have nothing against Hank Aaron but I won’t vote for him on his first ballot.

I read somewhere in the past coaches would totally omit certain teams from their ballot for some really stupid reasons.

Reactions: Gemini95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT