ADVERTISEMENT

I have to be honest

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Maybe I'm just getting a little numb with how good this team is. Maybe IU just really sucks. Maybe I was just extremely tired from a long day and week.

But until Edey hit the 3, I found the game to be pretty boring. I'm leaning more to my 2nd point above I guess.

Maybe I'm just getting a little numb with how good this team is. Maybe IU just really sucks. Maybe I was just extremely tired from a long day and week.

But until Edey hit the 3, I found the game to be pretty boring. I'm leaning more to my 2nd point above I guess.
I was leaning more on my 2nd pint, glad we won but thought we could have played a little better

These past 2 games have been the most relaxed I've ever been during the PU/IU games going back 40 years. I can't bet on them down here in Florida (unless you fall for the Hardrock Monopoly), so I have been able to just sit back and watch with pure enjoyment. IU is just a very bad basketball team and PU is very good. Makes for some easy nights for a PU fan.

Average 37 pts first half with alot of missed bunnies and FTs. Much better second half.

There seemed to be a lot of standing around a few times @ the 2,3&4 watching Smith & Edey do their thing on the PnR.

As I watch this team, It just seems different than teams of the past. People were becoming critical of our team only winning by 20 points against IU. IU is actually a talented team. But we are just that much better.

Reactions: rgarlitz
As I watch this team, It just seems different than teams of the past. People were becoming critical of our team only winning by 20 points against IU. IU is actually a talented team. But we are just that much better.

Agree the team has a more competitive drive and hunger to win combined with the talent to go with it, capped off by a difference maker NPOTY.

But the bolded above.... laughable.

I felt this 100%. Purdue played their “C” game. Even when they didn’t play good defense in the first 10 mins, IU just looked bad. Even when they briefly lead,I saw no way IU would win.

Purdue wasn’t clicking on all cylinders so a 40 point blow out wasn’t happening. Bad from the line, bad from 3. But IU showed they are just a bad team. Our “C” game was 20 points better than what they could do. No reason to raise my blood pressure but no reason to get excited either. Edey hitting the 3 was the clear highlight. That was the least satisfying blowout of IU I could imagine. We played way worse than excitement levels and still blew their doors off. Ho hum

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I felt this 100%. Purdue played their “C” game. Even when they didn’t play good defense in the first 10 mins, IU just looked bad. Even when they briefly lead,I saw no way IU would win.

Purdue wasn’t clicking on all cylinders so a 40 point blow out wasn’t happening. Bad from the line, bad from 3. But IU showed they are just a bad team. Our “C” game was 20 points better than what they could do. No reason to raise my blood pressure but no reason to get excited either. Edey hitting the 3 was the clear highlight. That was the least satisfying blowout of IU I could imagine. We played way worse than excitement levels and still blew their doors off. Ho hum

The blowout was more about how bad IU was than how well we played, it seemed

My goodness. Purdue beats IU by 20 and people on here are complaining that they were bored, it wasn’t entertaining and Purdue didn’t really play that good, IU is just that bad. We really have become a very spoiled fan base. I enjoyed every minute of that and Mackey was electric as ever.

My goodness. Purdue beats IU by 20 and people on here are complaining that they were bored, it wasn’t entertaining and Purdue didn’t really play that good, IU is just that bad. We really have become a very spoiled fan base. I enjoyed every minute of that and Mackey was electric as ever.
This. The fans in Mackey certainly weren't bored. They may have seen something people here didn't see?

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Not bored, just relaxed. No stress at all. There was never a point that I thought we had a chance to lose that game. Very unusual for this "rivalry".
It certainly wasn't as stressful as most are and were. IU did well early and was very close until maybe the last 4 or so minutes of the first half. They attacked Purdue well in the lane early and of course Galloway used his height to an advantage to get into the lane and found Ware a few times for the lob. Personally, I thought IU played harder than many games this year. I have no idea how this compared to the Kansas game that IU was competitive in.

I will give IU credit in that I thought they sped Purdue up a bit on the perimeter shots behind the arc "early" and Lance never really did get it going. Watching Lance at half you could see him struggle with his shot and some frustration he was having with them not going down. Finally hit one and that was his last shot before the half was over.

Before the game IU had a lot of players taking stationary shots behind the arc and so I wondered if Ware or Reneau whoever Zach had would float behind the arc and test the waters. That didn't happen much in the game. FWIW, I saw Reneau drop about 5 or 6 in a row behind the arc before the game, but that certainly wasn't in play either...

Being comfortable against any Big team is never boring for me. I would love for that to be the norm. Less stress is a good thing. ;)

It certainly wasn't as stressful as most are and were. IU did well early and was very close until maybe the last 4 or so minutes of the first half. They attacked Purdue well in the lane early and of course Galloway used his height to an advantage to get into the lane and found Ware a few times for the lob. Personally, I thought IU played harder than many games this year. I have no idea how this compared to the Kansas game that IU was competitive in.

I will give IU credit in that I thought they sped Purdue up a bit on the perimeter shots behind the arc "early" and Lance never really did get it going. Watching Lance at half you could see him struggle with his shot and some frustration he was having with them not going down. Finally hit one and that was his last shot before the half was over.

Before the game IU had a lot of players taking stationary shots behind the arc and so I wondered if Ware or Reneau whoever Zach had would float behind the arc and test the waters. That didn't happen much in the game. FWIW, I saw Reneau drop about 5 or 6 in a row behind the arc before the game, but that certainly wasn't in play either...
IU is awful. Yes, they were close for about 15 minutes but even then it was clear who the better team was. Once we got a 10 point lead it really became apparent it was just a matter of how many. Again, I don't find it boring at all. Just very relaxing watching a PU/IU game. Not something I have ever done before these last 2 games. If we meet them in the B1G tournament I'm very confident it will be the same. They just don't have what it takes to give us a problem (good/athletic guards that can shoot). If they get X back, it might actually make them worse.

IU is awful. Yes, they were close for about 15 minutes but even then it was clear who the better team was. Once we got a 10 point lead it really became apparent it was just a matter of how many. Again, I don't find it boring at all. Just very relaxing watching a PU/IU game. Not something I have ever done before these last 2 games. If we meet them in the B1G tournament I'm very confident it will be the same. They just don't have what it takes to give us a problem (good/athletic guards that can shoot). If they get X back, it might actually make them worse.
I worry about that unicorn game where the unusual is the norm for that 2 hours. Where they shoot like never before and Purdue is struggling shooting. That said it is unlikely that Braden, Fletch and Lance all are off. I think Purdue is much better than NW, but the bad match has led to a lot of close games and not sure I want them fourth in the BTT.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I worry about that unicorn game where the unusual is the norm for that 2 hours. Where they shoot like never before and Purdue is struggling shooting. That said it is unlikely that Braden, Fletch and Lance all are off. I think Purdue is much better than NW, but the bad match has led to a lot of close games and not sure I want them fourth in the BTT.
As long as old man Buie (turning 25 this year) and squad are in a different region than us, then it’s all good.

Correct, NW has what "can" give us trouble. Guards that can create and shoot. IU doesn't have that. I would love to see us play NW in the B1G tournament. Good prep for the big dance. Also an opportunity to rub it in Chrissy's face!

Reactions: Schnelk
Correct, NW has what "can" give us trouble. Guards that can create and shoot. IU doesn't have that. I would love to see us play NW in the B1G tournament. Good prep for the big dance. Also an opportunity to rub it in Chrissy's face!
Almost as important is that NW has enough players to be physical against Zach where losing them does not affect very much NW offense. Not only have they been deadly behind the arc and not only do they have a player that can take over a game at times, but they have the defensive ability to hurt a huge portion of Purdue's offense. Without that...without the fouls "if called" they are able to expend to stop baskets by Zach they would find playing Purdue more difficult and I think not as close as is.

That said any team really good behind the arc on offense with bodies to throw out to foul Zach "if called" can be a problem. If a team fouls Zach in a position where it is almost a given basket to prevent the basket at the start of every half...potentially ( I realize he won't draw all the fouls) then they could save 6 baskets every half or 24 points in a game if fouls are called and more if not called. Once in bonus or on two shot fouls, splitting the shots or especially missing the first shot is a huge plus to the opposition. Stop a few baskets with fouls not being called. Stop a few baskets with fouls being called and splitting or missing them also helps the opposition "if" those bodies are plentiful and not detrimental to the other team's offense.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT