ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State v. Purdue (Game Thread)

Yes, plenty of blame to go around, but at least we walked out with a win. Ivey only bailed himself out though... his last few possessions and defense prior to that was horrible.
Back to this game. I notice that OSU did a lot of arm grabbing and body slamming in the second half. They got very physical and the refs more or less let them. They called our side tighter. I mostly agreed that fouls called on us were fair, but compared to those called, or not called, on OSU, not close.

It is why we had trouble inbounding the ball at the end of the game. They were holding so we could not get open.

7-3 at the halfway mark of the B1G. Should be better. Argue we could be 10-0. We are 4-1 against teams in the AP poll, which is great for seeding. A couple road losses on last second 3’s. On to Minnesota.
Overall better individual D most of the game. I prefer Jaden having a quiet game if doing fine as he still gets his points and others do as well as long as Purfue is doing fine which it has the last couple of games

7-3 at the halfway mark of the B1G. Should be better. Argue we could be 10-0. We are 4-1 against teams in the AP poll, which is great for seeding. A couple road losses on last second 3’s. On to Minnesota.

This next five game stretch will be a good barometer:

@ Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois
@ Michigan
Maryland

I think the Boilers probably need to go minimum 4-1 before the finishing stretch:

@ Northwestern
Rutgers
@ Michigan State
@ Wisconsin
Indiana

Probably a good thing they don't travel to Columbus this year.

Maybe this is a team that might take all season to get better defensively - it has improved slightly, IMO. Eric Hunter, Jr. seems to have generally found a rhythm. Watching Zach Edey in the second half with FT's was actually encouraging. He started out 1-5 missing many short, but he finished 5/6 for 6/11 for the game, and his form/arc looked good to me. Big Tre on the other hand is still struggling and today, they were off line too.

SS and MG seemed to get back to good form.

This team is entertaining and a good group of young men who represent the University very well. When they are on and focused, they can beat ANYBODY. But it's maddening in that they can be up 15+ against anybody in the second half, and you're still sweating bullets watching them. :)

How does this all play out......hell if I know......and I might die trying to find out.

We shall see.

Overall better individual D most of the game. I prefer Jaden having a quiet game if doing fine as he still gets his points and others do as well as long as Purfue is doing fine which it has the last couple of games
Defense was good for about 3/4s of the game and then got lazy. But, OSU is also a good team so wasn't going to just lay down and is a good 3 point shooting team.

A win is a win and counts the same whether it is by 1 point or 100.

Get in line with your comments! Or, you'll be labeled or ignored. This is an echo chamber. Free thought is discouraged around these here parts.
LOL. Can't say any negative thing about Purdue. Imagine how Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga fans would react if they played like we have. Especially with our early tournament exits. They would be calling for coaches head. I think our defense is going to screw us in the tournament. I hope I have to eat crow.

LOL. Can't say any negative thing about Purdue. Imagine how Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga fans would react if they played like we have. Especially with our early tournament exits. They would be calling for coaches head. I think our defense is going to screw us in the tournament. I hope I have to eat crow.
Just remember these rules:
Anything good that happens, Painter did it
Anything bad that happens, not Painters fault
Not complicated.
There are enforcers on board to make sure these rules are followed.

• Haha
Reactions: mathboy
Not complicated.
Lmao. I have been a huge Painter fan the whole time he has been here. If we lose in the first or 2nd round I'm going to start to question things. I would like to see a final four or a championship game in my lifetime.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Defense was good for about 3/4s of the game and then got lazy. But, OSU is also a good team so wasn't going to just lay down and is a good 3 point shooting team.

A win is a win and counts the same whether it is by 1 point or 100.
Much better than losing. Still this team needs to learn to stay focused for 40. It would have been easy to have wonby ten.

Lmao. I have been a huge Painter fan the whole time he has been here. If we lose in the first or 2nd round I'm going to start to question things. I would like to see a final four or a championship game in my lifetime.
I was a huge Painter fan for a while. The trips the bottom soured me for a while. I share your desire for some tourney champagne in my life.

Not complicated.
There are enforcers on board to make sure these rules are followed.
You're a little off. As has been explained to you a few times, how you deliver your criticism makes all the difference. I mean we could easily turn your comment around on you like so:

Anything good that happens, Painter had no part of it.
Anything bad that happens, including COVID, Painter's fault completely. No exceptions.
Like you said it's not complicated.
There are those on here that get angry when they make a post and then are called out on it. And then hold on to that because their feelings are hurt.

I mean look now, we had a huge win today and this is the line you're taking. You're a better poster than this.

Last edited:
Lottery pick.

But we are kidding ourselves if we dont take these blatant and huge red flags seriously. If these arent fixed it could be another special season gone in the 1st round
Yes, we will work on our issues. ALL other teams in the top ten( and beyond) have issues as well. 12 of the 14 BIG teams played this weekend. Purdue played better than any of them. Honorable mention to MSU and IU.

On the ride home and it sounds like there must be some interesting posts in this thread.

Hopefully there is some depth like I would have done this knowing that I was giving up that, but think with so and so in there and with x minutes in the game

Reactions: BBG
You're a little off. As has been explained to you a few times, how you deliver your criticism makes all the difference. I mean we could easily turn your comment around on you like so:

Anything bad that happens, including COVID, Painter's fault completely. No exceptions.
There are those on here that get angry when they make a post and then are called out on it. And then hold on to that because their feelings are hurt.

I mean look now, we had a huge win today and this is the line you're taking. Be better than that.
I'm not even a little off. I'm dead on. You're just upset that someone points it out. You remain unable to tolerate opposing views. You are offended by them. You take them personally. You can tell me the sky is green all day, and I know better.

We played at home, blew a 20 point lead and won by a hail mary prayer. Enjoying a win doesn't mean lose all sense of seeing something isn't well. We have systemic issues that continue to not be fixed. Issues that blew that lead. Yes, I'm glad we won. You can try to spin it into something it's not to defend your intolerant behavior. I think this team is better than they are currently playing and coached. That opinion can piss you off, that's fine. It's not illegal to be thin skinned. However, it's not my responsibility to make sure you're not mad. I've told you and others here and I care little about the regular season, a little more about the B10G tourney and a whole lot about the NCAA. I've never told anyone else what to value, but you seem to be determined to tell me what I should. I'm sure you're about to tell me I have some character flaws soon? You know, since I don't think like you?

Reactions: Jbigler1986
I'm not even a little off. I'm dead on. You're just upset that someone points it out. You remain unable to tolerate opposing views. You are offended by them. You take them personally. You can tell me the sky is green all day, and I know better.
I am not even remotely upset by anything you or anyone else says on here. And frankly the only one getting bent out of shape here is you and your tantrum response proves it. I couldn't possibly care less if you or anyone else agrees with me because this is an internet forum. None of this matters and is something you need to learn and to get some thicker skin. It's okay to have people disagree with you, you don't need to hang on to it like this.

The ONLY one taking any of this personally is you. Sorry bud. You clearly are hanging on to people disagreeing with you and as I said, you're a better poster than that. But I'm going to instead enjoy the win and not going to go back and forth with you over something so ridiculous. Be well.

• Haha
Reactions: boiler-deuce

We played at home, blew a 20 point lead and won by a hail mary prayer. Enjoying a win doesn't mean lose all sense of seeing something isn't well. We have systemic issues that continue to not be fixed. Issues that blew that lead. Yes, I'm glad we won. You can try to spin it into something it's not to defend your intolerant behavior. I think this team is better than they are currently playing and coached. That opinion can piss you off, that's fine. It's not illegal to be thin skinned. However, it's not my responsibility to make sure you're not mad. I've told you and others here and I care little about the regular season, a little more about the B10G tourney and a whole lot about the NCAA. I've never told anyone else what to value, but you seem to be determined to tell me what I should. I'm sure you're about to tell me I have some character flaws soon? You know, since I don't think like you?
Painter has the most efficient offense in the country. His recruiting has ramped up significantly. His team is 18-3 after playing a pretty rough schedule. Wins over numerous top 25 teams including outside of Mackey.

The team has had letdowns certainly. The defense could be better. The free throws have caused us issues. These are all fixable issues that really are the responsibility of the players more than the coach. He doesn’t play. Some of these issue can also be due to the opponent, which each one has given us their best shot. That’s what happens when you’re a top 6 team. Opponents find an extra gear and get up for their game with you. No team is perfect but this one is really good although not perfect.

Painter has the most efficient offense in the country. His recruiting has ramped up significantly. His team is 18-3 after playing a pretty rough schedule. Wins over numerous top 25 teams including outside of Mackey.

The team has had letdowns certainly. The defense could be better. The free throws have caused us issues. These are all fixable issues that really are the responsibility of the players more than the coach. He doesn’t play. Some of these issue can also be due to the opponent, which each one has given us their best shot. That’s what happens when you’re a top 6 team. Opponents find an extra gear and get up for their game with you. No team is perfect but this one is really good although not perfect.
100% correct. There isn't anyone saying that there aren't problems to fix but we are a mighty good team even with those gaps to close.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I got busy and forgot about the game. Looking at the recap, I'm glad I missed it. I can say, definitively, it's better to win on a last second three than lose by one. :D

It looks like the guys cut down on the turnovers a bit. How'd we blow the second half lead? Did OSU just start shooting lights out or something?

Yes, I agree, this offense is pretty good. I also share you concern with defense and FT's. I really hope Painter gets this turned around by March. This team has very good NCAA type talent. I feel like that ths could finally be a special year. I disagree, on who the responsibility belongs. If he gets this team figured out, we're looking at one heck of a ride.

I got busy and forgot about the game. Looking at the recap, I'm glad I missed it. I can say, definitively, it's better to win on a last second three than lose by one. :D

It looks like the guys cut down on the turnovers a bit. How'd we blow the second half lead? Did OSU just start shooting lights out or something?
Basically.... combined with some timely turnovers on Purdue's part and a few questionable calls by the refs... just the normal stuff... :D

I was a huge Painter fan for a while. The trips the bottom soured me for a while. I share your desire for some tourney champagne in my life.
I recall your posting over the years. You have never been a Painter fan, so let's not remake history. You can have your opinion, but let's not go down the path of "I used to be a fan of him, but now I've changed my mind". You have never been a fan of him.

I am not even remotely upset by anything you or anyone else says on here. And frankly the only one getting bent out of shape here is you and your tantrum response proves it. I couldn't possibly care less if you or anyone else agrees with me because this is an internet forum. None of this matters and is something you need to learn and to get some thicker skin. It's okay to have people disagree with you, you don't need to hang on to it like this.

The ONLY one taking any of this personally is you. Sorry bud. You clearly are hanging on to people disagreeing with you and as I said, you're a better poster than that. But I'm going to instead enjoy the win and not going to go back and forth with you over something so ridiculous. Be well.
Seems like you do get upset rather easily. You stoop down to IU level with some of your posts. If that makes you feel better then go ahead. Anyone that remotely critiques Painter you just come at them. It's a public forum. Anyone can say whatever they please. It just happens to hurt your feelings though.

Is the headline:

Ivey Bails Painter Out!

After times outs, can’t even get a ball in bounds and can’t get a good shot off. Ivey had to take a fall away 3 with a hand in his face. Low percentage shot. Is Painter coloring on a coloring book over there? Typical blowing leads and bad play execution at the end of games. I know it’s harsh after a win, but it’s real.

I know!!!!!!! Painter was just STANDING there! He wasn't cutting hard or moving at ALL to help the inbounds play.
What a da coach!

I recall your posting over the years. You have never been a Painter fan, so let's not remake history. You can have your opinion, but let's not go down the path of "I used to be a fan of him, but now I've changed my mind". You have never been a fan of him.
Not sure how anyone can say he has not been a great coach. He absolutely has been a tremendous coach. Just not sure if he can get us that championship we want. I hope he proves me wrong and you guys can rub it in my face. I will gladly accept the criticism.

So true. Players play the way they are either allowed to or taught to. It's his job to run the show. His shows seem to end this way too often. These lazy passes, piss poor shot selection and general failures at the line are not what NC contenders are made of.
Hopefully you're just drunk and not that stupid.

Reactions: BBG and mathboy

I mean look now, we had a huge win today and this is the line you're taking. You're a better poster than this.
You forgot that ALL losses could have been prevented with either:

some magical “in-game adjustments” (which are conveniently never explained in detail)

OR:

a player from the magic portal

That Elite Eight run 2 tourneys ago must really piss you off
Hey, deuce has been on this board a long time. Show him some respect! You don’t see him very often when we are winning, but you will usually see his posts after a loss. He certainly is a “deuce” !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT