ADVERTISEMENT

odds of turning season around

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
i saw where Walters was saying he knows what fans are saying, and they will be talking different when they turn the season around. I think the odds of turning the season around is like 10 % chance. While i hope the team does, i just can't see it unless there is something i am missing.

i saw where Walters was saying he knows what fans are saying, and they will be talking different when they turn the season around. I think the odds of turning the season around is like 10 % chance. While i hope the team does, i just can't see it unless there is something i am missing.
If there was any chance of turning the season around, we would have done it last saturday.

CRW's comment just shows he is in over his head. I would LOVE for him to prove us all wrong, but there is nothing at this point that suggests he not only knows what he is doing, but has the capabilities to accomplish it.

That's brash talk after two embarrassing losses.

Like BBG said, I hope he and the team do turn it around (which better mean wins and Thieneman lining up within a three-block radius of the line of scrimmage).

But if the current trend continues, Walters will find something much worse -- that fans aren't talking about Purdue football at all.

Reactions: BBG and pboiler18
I mean I don't know what you expect him to say.

You don't say I suck, we suck, fire me three games into the season. He's trying to keep his team in a positive mental framework.

I certainly understand folks who want him gone, it's been a horrendous two games, but this specific criticism I don't understand.

I mean I don't know what you expect him to say.

You don't say I suck, we suck, fire me three games into the season. He's trying to keep his team in a positive mental framework.

I certainly understand folks who want him gone, it's been a horrendous two games, but this specific criticism I don't understand.
The bluster. The “you’ll see” attitude. We’ll see what? He’s not in a position to project confidence. He needs to be assuring the fan base that he understands what’s wrong and changes are coming.

It’d be nice to hear about some changes actually being made. It’d be nice to hear some self reflection and admission of what’s been bad and a commitment to fix it.

Sadly he’s so far in over his head he doesn’t understand what’s wrong. I’m certain he believes we’ll just go out and do the same thing gs we have been and things will click. This is how coaches are. Good coaches are stubborn. Bad coaches are the ones who are too stubborn to change. It seems we have one of those.

Agree that progress to him is probably not getting blown out and maybe gaining 300 yards on offense.

If things weren’t so far gone I’d try to believe him. It’s lip service at this point. As soon as he turns on the fans it’s over for him. He’s approaching this completely the wrong way. Emeritus above is right…things will go from negative to fans just not saying anything or caring…and that will get him out of the door much much faster.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
The bluster. The “you’ll see” attitude. We’ll see what?

It’d be nice to hear about some changes actually being made. It’d be nice to hear some self reflection and admission of what’s been bad and a commitment to fix it.

Sadly he’s so far in over his head he doesn’t understand what’s wrong. I’m certain he believes we’ll just go out and do the same thing gs we have been and things will click. This is how coaches are. Good coaches are stubborn. Bad coaches are the ones who are too stubborn to change. It seems we have one of those.

Agree that progress to him is probably not getting blown out and maybe gaining 300 yards on offense.

If things weren’t so far gone I’d try to believe him. It’s lip service at this point. As soon as he turns on the fans it’s over for him. He’s approaching this completely the wrong way. Emeritus above is right…things will go from negative to fans just not saying anything or caring…and that will get him out of the door much much faster.
Oh FFS. He's not going to come up with massive changes right after, literally, a game.

Between the nasty DEI nonsense and the personal attacks of a guy who is just doing what he knows to do, it is all just I don't like this guy so let me attack everything he says and does like he slapped a pregnant woman while eating a baby.

If folks want to argue he wasn't ready they are free to do so by simply pointing to the schedule or recruiting or scheme or actual facts on the field.

All of the nasty ad hominem nonsense from some folks is a lot more anger inducing than having a couple of bad football seasons, which Purdue has had a ton of over the years.

Dude is losing some games. He didn't do anything to you personally, and he certainly wasn't gifted a great team or schedule. He was given his first job with a depleted roster and back to back top ten toughest schedules in the country and with a staff he had to assemble pretty quickly with not exactly an open checkbook for coaches or players.

Now, it's still on him to succeed or fail. If he continues to fail, guess what, he'll be fired. The next guy up may do better, same, or worse. But all of the nastiness, race discussions, personal attacks are quite the turnoff. Particularly for a program that's never been better than .500

We've been over .500 three times in the last 13 years, six in the last 20. The level of vitriol because a coach is having a bad football season at Purdue is well beyond what this program level is.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Not a fan of what we've seen this season but what would you want a coach in his situation to say? He needs to project confidence that they can fix it whether he can or not.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I believe he said that Green would be playing. That might offer some hope. But seeing two teams do the same to us on defense is not comforting as no real adjustments appear to have been made, and the same goes for the largely inept offense. He has done some good things while at Purdue, but they don't appear to be seen on the field.

I believe he said that Green would be playing. That might offer some hope. But seeing two teams do the same to us on defense is not comforting as no real adjustments appear to have been made, and the same goes for the largely inept offense. He has done some good things while at Purdue, but they don't appear to be seen on the field.
Defense was much improved IMO.

Offense has gone into a black hole, particularly the passing game.

Team wasn't very good last year, for various reasons. This year Card is healthy , the O Line was supposed to be alot better, team had a year to work on their problems, so far it looks like nothing has changed. So if Walters and staff had a year to work on these problems , and team is worse this year so far, than last year., how is he gonna turn team around , especially with the schedule they have . i don't see it happening

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT