ADVERTISEMENT

Now that we know the DC and OC are gone...let's create a list of realistic candidates we'd like...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
I still believe Bob Stitt could be a great hire and allow Hazell to focus on the defensive side of the ball with whoever the DC he brings in. Stitt has himself said he would love to run his offense at the P5 level if he was given the freedom to create and scheme his way. The major issue here is that I don't believe Hazell is the kind of guy that would allow that type of autonomy.

Major Applewhite is the offensive coordinator for Tom Herman at Houston. He is a very young OC and is quickly rising through the coaching ranks. I have to believe he may be tabbed already as the next coach at Texas (graduated in 2001). Purdue could provide the opportunity for Applewhite to prove he is capable at the P5 level and improving the offense (in any capacity) would be seen as a huge plus for him to gain notoriety for his own HC job in the future. Applewhite currently makes $301k and a bump up to the range of $550k would be a major bump for him. It would also allow Purdue the freedom to spend more on the defensive side to garner a much better DC (in the range of $750k). A salary of $750k places the salary in the top 15 and would garner a ton of attention that Purdue is serious about its commitment to the football program.

If you are going to go big on the defensive side, Bud Foster (Virginia Tech), Jon Hoke (South Carolina), Lorenzo Ward (South Carolina), and Jeremy Pruitt (Georgia) are all looking for new jobs as new head coaches are coming in...unless they are retained.

My personal choice would be to get Bob Stitt as the Offensive Coordinator and give him total control of the scheme, personnel, and QB's while hiring Bud Foster. It would be a HUGE splash in terms of signaling that the BOT, the AD, and Hazell are in fact serious about correcting the issues within the program (in what appears to be improving schemes and player progression). Having Bud Foster and Bob Stitt, in my opinion, would bring some fans back to the stadium.

Bud Foster (current contract: $900k): potential contract $1mil
Bob Stitt (Current contract: $175k): potential contract of $550k
Total Coordinators Investment: $1.55 million (increase of $500k from Shoop and Hudson)

Reactions: boiler800
No, no, no... think more re-tready. Someone who has fallen into obscurity. A lot of the offensive brilliance Hazell worked with at O$U has passed away or retired. Maybe with Malone's Saints connections we get Rob Ryan to come here? Maybe Urban Meyer can fire Luke Fickell and he can come here and be DC and interim HC once vesty leaves. I don't know. Just don't get your hopes up. Please don't, then you buy tickets and jump back in only to be kicked in the kiwis again.

No, no, no... think more re-tready. Someone who has fallen into obscurity. A lot of the offensive brilliance Hazell worked with at O$U has passed away or retired. Maybe with Malone's Saints connections we get Rob Ryan to come here? Maybe Urban Meyer can fire Luke Fickell and he can come here and be DC and interim HC once vesty leaves. I don't know. Just don't get your hopes up. Please don't, then you buy tickets and jump back in only to be kicked in the kiwis again.

I would buy tickets every year, even next season, if I had the money to do so. The unfortunate thing is that being a teacher in our society, I get paid near peanuts to do my job. I love the breaks and so forth, but I would take an office job immediately if it meant I could make $65k per year with benefits.

Bud Foster is being retained by Fuentes. Sorry.

Figures....I'll take one of the Co-DC's from South Carolina then. They always seemed to be solid down there but struggled on the offensive side (odd with the Old Ballcoach there). Still want Stitt to come here with his offensive system and scheme.

Doesn't matter who we WANT. We'll get whatever tightwad MB and Delirious Hazzell choose. I know now that I'm laying off the FB board soon and staying off until the smoke clears and it's about 6 games into the 2016 season and we're either improved or it really was all DH's fault the past 3 years which is my working theory. Either way I'm not going to come on here and be rah rahed and beat over the head for being a skeptic the usual cheerleader suspects in Aug and Sept.

I don't think you're going to be able to get a young up and comer to come to Purdue. Not for the OC/DC position (I think you would have a better chance dangling the Head Coaching carrot but that wouldn't be easy ether). There's just too much risk for someone like Applewhite to step into a very volatile situation with little talent and a Head Coach on the very hot seat for another 200-300k a year. I imagine he has head coaching ambitions and Purdue's OC position doesn't look like a good bet to be successful right now.

I think you're going to have to find a veteran probably 55-60+ years old who knows he probably won't ever be a head coach but where another 200-300k a year (still a sizeable chunk of money) could really pad the retirement account with only a few more years left to coach.

I don't think that destroys any chance of getting a decent coordinator who could improve the product on the field (I think there are plenty of older OC possibilities who could install a much more effective offensive system, DC is a bigger challenge in my opinion) but I would be very surprised if any well regarded young coach took the position with all the red flags waving over Purdue's program right now. Obscure young guy none of us have ever heard of maybe but not someone known in mainstream football circles.

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to be able to get a young up and comer to come to Purdue. Not for the OC/DC position (I think you would have a better chance dangling the Head Coaching carrot but that wouldn't be easy ether). There's just too much risk for someone like Applewhite to step into a very volatile situation with little talent and a Head Coach on the very hot seat for another 200-300k a year. I imagine he has head coaching ambitions and Purdue's OC position doesn't look like a good bet to be successful right now.

I think you're going to have to find a veteran probably 55-60+ years old who knows he probably won't ever be a head coach but where another 200-300k a year (still a sizeable chunk of money) could really pad the retirement account with only a few more years left to coach.

I don't think that destroys any chance of getting a decent coordinator who could improve the product on the field (I think there a plenty of older OC possibilities who could install a much more effective offensive system, DC is a bigger challenge in my opinion) but I would be very surprised if any well regarded young coach took the position with all the red flags waving over Purdue's program right now. Obscure young guy none of us have ever heard of maybe but not someone known in mainstream football circles.
Who wants to coach at a school where the head coach and AD is known as DUMB & DUMBER !! Were fu@%ed

Reactions: DG10 and ahhculdee
Expect some promotion from within for the obvious reasons and, the $$$ is not the driving factor. Who wants to come here for what is likely a one year gig? If we do hire inside, running the same crap will give more dung. They need to re-vamp it all. I have ZERO faith it will work.

Reactions: DG10
Expect some promotion from within for the obvious reasons and, the $$$ is not the driving factor. Who wants to come here for what is likely a one year gig? If we do hire inside, running the same crap will give more dung. They need to re-vamp it all. I have ZERO faith it will work.

I think Hazell and Burke know fans will be even more pissed if they hire from within. They knew heads needed to roll (but not the heads fans wanted) so they fired Shoop and Hudson to try to appease some of the rancor. After this staff oversaw a 6-30 record you can't suggest that someone with a direct hand in that debacle is going to be the one, or ones, to fix it. Of course nothing would surprise me with Burke and Hazell at this point but I think they bring in two new coordinator just to give the fans the appearance of "change". They maybe no good but they'll at least be new names and faces that the fans have to learn before they start to curse and ridicule them.

I don't see any bumps from within for the simple fact that it could have been done before if anyone was truly capable of that capacity. That has been done in the football program (Nord's 'back injury') and the subsequent promotion of the WR's coach to interim HC. I do like Taver Johnson but he doesn't have any experience being a DC and I am afraid to turn the reigns over to a completely unproven commodity. As I have said previously, Ron Zook was placed in a similar situation the year before he was fired. Illinois brought in two highly experienced and highly sought after coordinators. It was found that the program still didn't improve and Zook was canned. I think if two highly qualified candidates are brought in and the Boilers can get 5 wins next season (which is a some what tall order), I think Hazell is retained to see if he can get the program to a bowl victory with a second year with those same coordinators. However, that is going to take a larger investment from the AD to get those types of candidates on campus (IMHO roughly $1.5mil combined for both).

When it comes to the OC, only one name surfaces in my opinion.

northdakota13s-1-web.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-pens-priceless-letter-wants-north-dakota-job

Figures....I'll take one of the Co-DC's from South Carolina then. They always seemed to be solid down there but struggled on the offensive side (odd with the Old Ballcoach there). Still want Stitt to come here with his offensive system and scheme.
I absolutely agree with wanting Stitt. Wanted him as HC before the start of the season. He's perfect for us. Knows how to utilize his players, innovative, and best of all for Burke he's cheap. As DC I wouldn't mind letting Freeman be the DC, see what he has. Can't be any worse than what we had. I just wish we'd go back to the 4-3 and not that hybrid 3-4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT