ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WVB at Illinois

Purdue loses 2nd set 25-19. They were comfortably ahead until Illinois went on a 12-1 roll. Sloppy play and hitting% of 0.054 compared to Illini’s 0.250. Illinois‘s serving game was also suddenly on fire with 3 service aces. Hopefully we will regain our set 1 performance.

Reactions: Boilermb
Illinois leads 2-1 after winning set #3 26-24. After failling to win 3 set points, Illinois finally did win on an ace serve where the Boilers badly miscommunicated and let the ball fall to the floor. It was a game of runs. Purdue does not look anything like the team that beat Minne on Thursday night.

Boilers are upset in 4 sets, losing the 4th set 25-18. Shondell tried nearly everything including subing in Poulter, Carr and Rastovski but nothing much worked.

After having a very slow start, Raina Terry came alive for the Illini and ended with 19 kills.

A bad day to be a Boiler fan all around.

The Boilers blocked Raina Terry 7 times in the first couple of sets and initially held her to a negative hitting %, but she went on a terror after that.

In the last set Purdue hit 0.054 and you won’t win many games like that.

Coach Shondell said in the mid 2nd set we were up 18-14 and then “everything changed”. Illini went on a run, began serving much better and were “the better team tonight”. He said he was glad we don’t face them again.

He said Haney had been playing really well but the crowd got on her and she was having some tough times. He was happy with how Rastovski and Poulter played. Again blamed much of our difficulties on the team’s youth.

Now on to Wisconsin, which Coach called “the most physical team in America.”

Last edited:
I really do not understand our setter subbing. I’d rather watch Taylor learn from mistakes and build her connection with the middles/hitters than see Poulter come in at this point in the season. Especially since during the 4th set in particular she set our hitters into the block on 5 straight points to start that set. It happened repeatedly in that set along with sets behind the hitters. And I can’t think of a match where pulling her for Poulter and leaving Poulter in worked in our favor.

Passing was pretty brutal too starting in the 2nd set with that string of terrible serve receive that basically turned the entire match around, but again, I’d rather watch Taylor learn/grow trying to make it work off subpar passing and making mistakes than see a 5th year setter come in. Our team is really young, the benefit of Taylor starting as a freshman are those connections they’ll build for the future. Plus I think her connection/setting of Eva and Chloe is significantly better, she struggles the most with the middles (and it seems like often is pulled when she and Lourdes are struggling) and I think giving up the good of how she works with Eva, Chloe and even Raven is crazy. Dave pulled her in the PSU match but put her back in quickly, and that seemed to work? I just don’t get it. Not only do I think her setting is all around better, she’s a better blocker, passer when the ball comes at her, server, etc. If she’s rattled, sure, take her out and calm her down but give her a chance to go back in, she’s the better option for a ton of reasons (and not just because she’s genuinely better).

I really do not understand our setter subbing. I’d rather watch Taylor learn from mistakes and build her connection with the middles/hitters than see Poulter come in at this point in the season. Especially since during the 4th set in particular she set our hitters into the block on 5 straight points to start that set. It happened repeatedly in that set along with sets behind the hitters. And I can’t think of a match where pulling her for Poulter and leaving Poulter in worked in our favor.

Passing was pretty brutal too starting in the 2nd set with that string of terrible serve receive that basically turned the entire match around, but again, I’d rather watch Taylor learn/grow trying to make it work off subpar passing and making mistakes than see a 5th year setter come in. Our team is really young, the benefit of Taylor starting as a freshman are those connections they’ll build for the future. Plus I think her connection/setting of Eva and Chloe is significantly better, she struggles the most with the middles (and it seems like often is pulled when she and Lourdes are struggling) and I think giving up the good of how she works with Eva, Chloe and even Raven is crazy. Dave pulled her in the PSU match but put her back in quickly, and that seemed to work? I just don’t get it. Not only do I think her setting is all around better, she’s a better blocker, passer when the ball comes at her, server, etc. If she’s rattled, sure, take her out and calm her down but give her a chance to go back in, she’s the better option for a ton of reasons (and not just because she’s genuinely better).
What you say makes sense and I have observed also. But I do not know how shook up she was. Coach said the crowd behind them had really gotten nasty.

Reactions: bitsycs
What you say makes sense and I have observed also. But I do not know how shook up she was. Coach said the crowd behind them had really gotten nasty.

Reactions: DocRon
Who are the recruits we have coming in next year? Hope there are some very good ones. We need to keep getting super stars year ater year just as Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc do.

Who are the recruits we have coming in next year? Hope there are some very good ones. We need to keep getting super stars year ater year just as Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc do.
Can someone answer this

What are their ratings?

Not sure but I remember McAleer was believed to be the top rated libero in the nation when she committed. The other two are locals with Purdue connections. Shondell and then foster is the daughter of Todd foster.

We dont need a bunch of great recruits. What we need is for last year’s 3rd ranked recruiting class to mature - I think we will be fine. We are very young.

We are set at setter and OH - we have to replace a libero so seems like these 3 will do, there’s always the portal as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT