ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern #13 in poll

Mar 13, 2008
Louisville, KY
Let that sink in for a minute, and ask yourself why them and not Purdue....

Is it because of their outstanding history, or lowered academic standards?.....Northwestern.

Is it because of their outstanding history, or lowered academic standards?.....Northwestern.

Perhaps they have had an excellent plan that was adequately funded and executed by truly competent management.

I wonder, what is our plan and who will execute it ?

I agree w/ IndySouthsider that Purdue had the program just about on par w/ NU under Tiller. And yes, people unfortunately were not happy. However, I'm not sure if this current trough is any worse than Akers/Colletto.

Tiller needed to retire. The mistake was that stupid coach in waiting thing. Big FAIL on that one.

I agree w/ IndySouthsider that Purdue had the program just about on par w/ NU under Tiller. And yes, people unfortunately were not happy. However, I'm not sure if this current trough is any worse than Akers/Colletto.
For the first 8 years or so, Tiller owned Northwestern. We weren't on par with them, we were better than them. Fitz has made them good again, after they had a couple of bad years. I don't think they will remain in the Top 20 for long. They are playing great defense, but their offense is still suspect. They aren't beating themselves, but they have a FR QB who cannot win games for them if necessary. They don't turn the ball over, run effectively, and play good defense to win games.

Are you serious? I strongly recommend you review the metrics before you make such statements. History will judge where the program is and is going, but this Akers was very frustrating, Colleto was bringing in talent and gave away opportunity, but the program and adminstration seems to have taken this football and womens basketball program to entirely new levels.

Are you serious? I strongly recommend you review the metrics before you make such statements...

If you look at wins (link)
Akers averaged 4 wins/season over 4 seasons. Colletto 3.6 wins/season over 6 seasons. In DH's first two seasons, yes he is winning less (with an extra game, too). However, I would not say those were glory years by any stretch. It's like arguing over which turd smells worse. Things like talent momentum and such are pretty subjective.

Last edited:
If you look at wins (link)
Akers averaged 4 wins/season over 4 seasons. Colletto 3.6 wins/season over 6 seasons. In DH's first two seasons, yes he is winning less (with an extra game, too). However, I would not say those were glory years by any stretch. It's like arguing over which turd smells worse. Things like talent momentum and such are pretty subjective.
Mr C. certainly recruiting talent is subjective, but if your assertion is that the Colletto talent was on par with Hazell's lets not forget that Mike Alstott was a Colletto recuit along with numerous Offensive and Defensive lineman which made the NFL. Thus far, I don't think the recruits from the last 3 yrs had many NFL likely folks.

Mr C. certainly recruiting talent is subjective, but if your assertion is that the Colletto talent was on par with Hazell's lets not forget that Mike Alstott was a Colletto recuit along with numerous Offensive and Defensive lineman which made the NFL. Thus far, I don't think the recruits from the last 3 yrs had many NFL likely folks.
Remember that Tiller started with Colletto recruits so he really wasn't starting with a completely bare cupboard either. Colletto wasn't a terrible recruiter. Just couldn't get it done on game day.
Speaking of Alstott he was honored yesterday when the Bucs placed his name and number in the Ring of Fame at their stadium.

Remember that Tiller started with Colletto recruits so he really wasn't starting with a completely bare cupboard either. Colletto wasn't a terrible recruiter. Just couldn't get it done on game day.
Speaking of Alstott he was honored yesterday when the Bucs placed his name and number in the Ring of Fame at their stadium.

Tiller also switched a bunch of their positions. He was great at seeing if an opportunity existed elsewhere.

Perhaps they have had an excellent plan that was adequately funded and executed by truly competent management.

I know many on here blame Burke for everything that is wrong with Purdue, but this statement seems more frustration than fact. Northwestern has not dramatically increased football spending, upgraded facilities, brought in outside big name coaches, or built a new stadium in the past 10 years. They promoted an on-staff assistant to head coach and have been patient with him through good and bad years. They have plans (and may have broken ground???) on new training facilities, but that is not enough to bring them to this point.

To be clear, I AM NOT HAPPY with the condition of the Purdue football program. I am losing confidence in Hazell. However, every other team's success is not an indictment on every decision Burke or Hazell has made.

Burke has made some bad hires, but he has also made some great ones (Tiller was his guy and many hated the decision at the time.)
How about we all take a deep breath, relax, and support our football team and all of the kids that are working their butts off.

I know many on here blame Burke for everything that is wrong with Purdue, but this statement seems more frustration than fact. Northwestern has not dramatically increased football spending, upgraded facilities, brought in outside big name coaches, or built a new stadium in the past 10 years. They promoted an on-staff assistant to head coach and have been patient with him through good and bad years. They have plans (and may have broken ground???) on new training facilities, but that is not enough to bring them to this point.

To be clear, I AM NOT HAPPY with the condition of the Purdue football program. I am losing confidence in Hazell. However, every other team's success is not an indictment on every decision Burke or Hazell has made.

Burke has made some bad hires, but he has also made some great ones (Tiller was his guy and many hated the decision at the time.)
How about we all take a deep breath, relax, and support our football team and all of the kids that are working their butts off.
Mr FFL I do not get your thought that "Tiller was his guy and many hated the decision at the time"? With the exception of game 1, (Holy Toledo) Tiller proved to be a winner from game 2 forward. The hatred you speak of must have been the "hate the bald crowd" because from the Notre Dame game forward, it was a fan love affair through the end of the Brees era. Tiller did more with his inheritance than most anyone of his predecessors. I recalll his 2nd and 3 recruiting classes were great as well.

While I agree that we don't seem to have a thought out "plan" for our program (which is HEAVILY dictated by a coach), your first statement saying NW football is adequately funded is laughable.

Northwestern has the worst stadium in the Big Ten.

They have no indoor practice facility.

Their locker room makes ours look like a Ritz Carlton.

While I agree that we don't seem to have a thought out "plan" for our program (which is HEAVILY dictated by a coach), your first statement saying NW football is adequately funded is laughable.

Northwestern has the worst stadium in the Big Ten.

They have no indoor practice facility.

Their locker room makes ours look like a Ritz Carlton.
I agree about their stadium, last week Teddy Greenspan had an article in the Tribune ranking BIG10 stadiums and he had RA dead last.

I agree about their stadium, last week Teddy Greenspan had an article in the Tribune ranking BIG10 stadiums and he had RA dead last.

It wasn't a "facility" ranking. This is from the description: …"the Tribune offers its rankings of Big Ten stadiums based on quality of the structure, tradition, enthusiasm of the fan base and game-day atmosphere."

Does it surprise me that Purdue ranked last when combining things like enthusiasm and game-day atmosphere? Uh, nope.

Northwestern's stadium was ranked based on it being near the lake, NW's focus on keeping away fans out, etc. IU's mentions the fake turf that kids can play on during the game.

This was the description of Purdue's ranking: "Blame poor performances on the field for poor attendance in the stands. The Boilermakers were last among Big Ten teams with 35,269 per game last season while suffering through a 3-9 campaign. If their play improves, this could again be a stellar game atmosphere. The south end-zone bleachers were removed to prepare for proposed renovations, and a party patio area was created. Now they just need something to celebrate."

This isn't a straight up facility ranking.

Greenstein is an NU alum and I don't recall him ever writing a positive sentence about Purdue. Regardless of the ranking criteria, he would bias toward NU and against PU.
Greenstein is a hack. I hate it when they have him on BTN. He's nothing more than a cheerleader for Northwestern. He also seems to like Wisky, and because he's in Chitown he rarely goes negative on Illinois. Even when they totally deserve it. You're right - he seems to be biased against Purdue.

Mr FFL I do not get your thought that "Tiller was his guy and many hated the decision at the time"? With the exception of game 1, (Holy Toledo) Tiller proved to be a winner from game 2 forward. The hatred you speak of must have been the "hate the bald crowd" because from the Notre Dame game forward, it was a fan love affair through the end of the Brees era. Tiller did more with his inheritance than most anyone of his predecessors. I recalll his 2nd and 3 recruiting classes were great as well.

The hatred I mentioned was after the announcement of his hire. Many wanted a bigger name to turn the program around and thought a guy from a smaller program in Wyoming would not be able to recruit against the BigTen. At the time, there were also numerous people concerned about "basketball on grass" based on Colletto recruiting smash-mouth-type guys and the still-fresh memories of Fred Akers' run and shoot failure.

You are correct that the fan-base quickly adopted Tiller as their own once he showed he could win.

Reactions: indyogb
The hatred I mentioned was after the announcement of his hire. Many wanted a bigger name to turn the program around and thought a guy from a smaller program in Wyoming would not be able to recruit against the BigTen. At the time, there were also numerous people concerned about "basketball on grass" based on Colletto recruiting smash-mouth-type guys and the still-fresh memories of Fred Akers' run and shoot failure.

You are correct that the fan-base quickly adopted Tiller as their own once he showed he could win.

I think there were some questions about style of play (maybe not as much from fans, but from media thinking "traditional" Big Ten).

However, he came to Purdue coming off a 10-2 season and the Wyoming team was ranked - as well as 4 straight winning seasons. Back in the "pre-internet" era, he certainly wouldn't have been a household name.

I think in the current days of football/internet, he would be considered a pretty solid hire.

Tiller was at best Burke's third guy. Fortunate for Burke his first two guys told him no.
Dang I hate it when we're so much in agreement.. where is the hate, where is the vitriol, where is the gnashing of teeth..

and I hate losing even more than I like winning... and there is a difference... Name the movie

Dang I hate it when we're so much in agreement.. where is the hate, where is the vitriol, where is the gnashing of teeth..

and I hate losing even more than I like winning... and there is a difference... Name the movie

Humans are much more sensitive to losses than to equal sized gains, see D. Kahneman and A. Tversky,
Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk, Econometrica 47: 263-291.

Reactions: AJ Hidell
But that would have been cheating because LongBoat Boiler already gave the answer.
LongBoat get the credit..and you get the prize for giving the most academic answer...
Billy said something about avoiding the internet, not watching TV or reading newspapers. I don't want to get it wrong.
In the movie, Billy said something about answering the wrong question.. Purdue has to do the same thing.... but this is real life not just a movie script.

It wasn't a "facility" ranking. This is from the description: …"the Tribune offers its rankings of Big Ten stadiums based on quality of the structure, tradition, enthusiasm of the fan base and game-day atmosphere."

Does it surprise me that Purdue ranked last when combining things like enthusiasm and game-day atmosphere? Uh, nope.

Northwestern's stadium was ranked based on it being near the lake, NW's focus on keeping away fans out, etc. IU's mentions the fake turf that kids can play on during the game.

This was the description of Purdue's ranking: "Blame poor performances on the field for poor attendance in the stands. The Boilermakers were last among Big Ten teams with 35,269 per game last season while suffering through a 3-9 campaign. If their play improves, this could again be a stellar game atmosphere. The south end-zone bleachers were removed to prepare for proposed renovations, and a party patio area was created. Now they just need something to celebrate."

This isn't a straight up facility ranking.

Don't blame the fans. I was at the VT game and the stadium was full of hungry fans. Too bad the team didn't give us much to be excited about. Of course, when the team doesn't win fans aren't going to come out.
Don't get me started again about our coaching staff. With the right staff I really think we could be like NW and win some games.

Don't blame the fans. I was at the VT game and the stadium was full of hungry fans. Too bad the team didn't give us much to be excited about. Of course, when the team doesn't win fans aren't going to come out.
Don't get me started again about our coaching staff. With the right staff I really think we could be like NW and win some games.

You can't pick out one game. Purdue's having historic struggles with attendance.

Also, blame coaching all you want - but we're not COMPARABLE to Northwestern in terms of talents. People keep saying these things like we're equal in terms of talent. We're nowhere near where Northwestern is talent-wise, let alone depth wise.

Since Hazell has arrived, these are our recruiting comparisons (past 3 classes combined):

Northwestern:
Four stars: 10%
Three stars: 70%
Two stars: 20%

Purdue:
Four stars: 3% (one of our 2 is Etling)
Three stars: 51%
Two stars: 46%
In our past three classes, we've had a combined 31 two stars compared to Northwestern's 11. That right there is a MASSIVE difference.

And when you just look at our past 2 recruiting classes, we have 24 two stars, 20 three stars + the one four star player (Robinson).

All I know is we could be 4-1 or 3-2 if we played a little differently. I put some blame on the coaching staff because I feel like they don't teach fundamentals or get the players ready to play. Something just missing with them.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Humans are much more sensitive to losses than to equal sized gains, see D. Kahneman and A. Tversky,
Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk, Econometrica 47: 263-291.

Wow, it is wild to see Daniel Kahneman quoted on this site. I actually had the occasion to meet him during a week-long program at Harvard for financial professionals where he was one of the instructors. This was shortly before he won the Nobel. Unfortunately, Tversky was dead so he wasn't at the program. Kahneman is a nice guy and an interesting guy. He tells some really interesting stories over a couple of drinks.

As to topic, Fitzgerald has done a great job at NU and there is no reason that Purdue should not be able to exceed that performance if proper AD management and coaching staff are in place.

All I know is we could be 4-1 or 3-2 if we played a little differently. I put some blame on the coaching staff because I feel like they don't teach fundamentals or get the players ready to play. Something just missing with them.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. IF we'd outscored our opponents in each game we'd be 5-0 right now.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

I think NW has had three good coaches in a row (Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, Pat Fitzgerald) which has helped with recuiting and fanbase. I also think that their athetic department was an advocate for the football program, something that Purdue really has not had with Morgan Burke or Joe King.

I think NW has had three good coaches in a row (Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, Pat Fitzgerald) which has helped with recuiting and fanbase. I also think that their athetic department was an advocate for the football program, something that Purdue really has not had with Morgan Burke or Joe King.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with the "advocate" part. i don't think NW's AD has been anymore of an advocate - and I'd almost guarantee you Gary Barnett/Randy Walker would agree given almost no significant investments occurred during their tenures.

I mean, let's not blow things out of proportions. The biggest spending program at Purdue has been and will be football.

Is Burke cheap? Yes. But he's not just cheap with football.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with the "advocate" part. i don't think NW's AD has been anymore of an advocate - and I'd almost guarantee you Gary Barnett/Randy Walker would agree given almost no significant investments occurred during their tenures.

I mean, let's not blow things out of proportions. The biggest spending program at Purdue has been and will be football.

Is Burke cheap? Yes. But he's not just cheap with football.

Mostly agree with this, although I would counter Burke is spending the money he's being given. There's no question we're fiscally conservative, but I think that's driven primarily above his pay grade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT