ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern #13 in poll

Mostly agree with this, although I would counter Burke is spending the money he's being given. There's no question we're fiscally conservative, but I think that's driven primarily above his pay grade.

But again I'd say that's not ANY different than most other universities. What has Purdue rejected athletics on? They've approved every project. They've approved upping the investment in basketball. They've approved upping the investment in football. The university didn't cough up money to do those things - it was Purdue Athletics' responsibility. Burke had to make an effort to find that money. It's just sad one of our coaches had to threaten to leave to get Burke to do it for basketball. And we had to get our football program into the dumps for him to do it for football. Certainly, a university is not going to be like "oh yeah please go spend more money" to ANY department (not just athletics). But you have to take initiative. I don't think Burke is very good at pushing the envelope in many regards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT