ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel Eastern

Is on the Summer League roster for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Playing the Pacers right now. Hasn't played.

Minnesota has plenty of B1G players. Just the ones I know for sure: TSJ, Eastern, Joe Wieskamp, Gabe Kalscheur, and Tyler Wahl.
Dumb question but what’s the point of having an eastern or say lance jones on these teams in SL but they don’t even get a shot to play?

Dumb question but what’s the point of having an eastern or say lance jones on these teams in SL but they don’t even get a shot to play?
Not a dumb question to me. I don't get it either. Some of these teams have 15 or more players on them. Guys even the biggest of college hoops fans won't know.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
They have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves in practice. There are up to 20 opportunities on roster (15 active, 2 inactive, and 3 2-way). Conley, dillingham, Walker, Edwards, mcdaniels, ingles, towns, Reid, gobert, tsj, Miller, Garza have guaranteed contracts and will take up 11 spots. Jesse edwards and nix have two of the 2-way contracts. You would assume they won’t use up an inactive until they have an injury. So we are looking at 4 spots and 2 2-way contracts to play for. They played six guys that aren’t guaranteed. Those guys are probably fighting for the last 4 spots. The final two-way contract will probably be based on positions of need. They are not frequently called up. So not much point in letting the others compete for the last two way contract when it’s likely one of those six that played will get it.

A thought about why Jones, Mathias and Eastern keep getting opportunities to play for summer league teams.

All three probably realize they have no chance at making the team. But all three are team players and they know what it takes to win.

Despite what people on this board said about him, Eastern was liked by his teammates and had a great defensive mind.

Jones is a great team mate, had a contagious positive attitude. And played great defense.

Mathias knows how to win, was a great teammate and knows how to shoot.

While they may not make the team, all three have knowledge of the game that they can share with others.

A look at the Bucks. And their two draft picks were basically the two youngest players drafted. They could learn a lot from guys like Eastern. Eastern has a lot of skills that he could teach others. He might not be able to shoot , but he can provide guidance to young players of what to do , what not to do and some lessons learned.

Bronny James is a lot like Eastern. He can’t shoot either. Bronny James and other young draft picks could learn a lot from Eastern.

A thought about why Jones, Mathias and Eastern keep getting opportunities to play for summer league teams.

All three probably realize they have no chance at making the team. But all three are team players and they know what it takes to win.

Despite what people on this board said about him, Eastern was liked by his teammates and had a great defensive mind.

Jones is a great team mate, had a contagious positive attitude. And played great defense.

While they may not make the team, all three have knowledge of the game that they can share with others.

A look at the Bucks. And their two draft picks were basically the two youngest players drafted. They could learn a lot from guys like Eastern. Eastern has a lot of skills that he could teach others. He might not be able to shoot , but he can provide guidance to young players of what to do , what not to do and some lessons learned.

Bronny James is a lot like Eastern. He can’t shoot either. Bronny James and other young draft picks could learn a lot from Eastern.
They get opportunities because they teeter on the level it takes to play in the nba.

What’s pretty cool is if Mathias can get one more 10 day contract and play in one game this year, he will be eligible for the NBA pension plan. Which is huge.

What do you mean they have no chance? Mathias has played in 14 nba games including 2 starts (yes in covid, but he played the next year too). He made over a quarter million those two years.

Eastern shot 83% from the FT line and over 50% from field last year in nba. He was a good shooter in HS.

I think all 3 have a legitimate shot at getting a 2-way contract with some chances at making active roster during times of injuries. We have seen much worse collegiate players make teams. I think they can make good money on that like half of the rookie minimum.

But I can promise you that you are wrong, there is no way these guys are playing in summer league because they know they won’t make a team…

What do you mean they have no chance? Mathias has played in 14 nba games including 2 starts (yes in covid, but he played the next year too). He made over a quarter million those two years.

Eastern shot 83% from the FT line and over 50% from field last year in nba. He was a good shooter in HS.

I think all 3 have a legitimate shot at getting a 2-way contract with some chances at making active roster during times of injuries. We have seen much worse collegiate players make teams. I think they can make good money on that like half of the rookie minimum.

But I can promise you that you are wrong, there is no way these guys are playing in summer league because they know they won’t make a team…
I have three friends who made MLB rosters off and on. I didn't research how many games it takes to qualify for NBA retirement, but that is what these guys are most likely looking at. My MLB friends got called up for ten games stretches (remember, they play 182 games) and I think they all finally got retirement.

I have three friends who made MLB rosters off and on. I didn't research how many games it takes to qualify for NBA retirement, but that is what these guys are most likely looking at. My MLB friends got called up for ten games stretches (remember, they play 182 games) and I think they all finally got retirement.
They need to play one game a year for 3 years to enter into the NBA retirement program.

And 162**

Reactions: Do Dah Day
162 regular season. Could hit 182 with playoffs

IMO they all have a shot and when you have prepared your entire life for the NBA you have to take your shot. Also, the crazy way Euro teams value the summer league games they pay double if you can attach the NBA to your resume. Even the summer league. To a lesser extent the G-League uses these games to stock their rosters. I wish them all the very best.

Interesting. Who were the guys?

Interesting. Who were the guys?
I coached Dunwoody, Bruntlett, Sable, Loggins, and Beigh in Basketball. Dunwoody, Bruntlett and Sable all earned World Series Rings (although Sable was dropped for the World Series, he still earned a ring. ). ... then Josh Lindblom, Dan Sattler and Dane Secott. I coached them mostly in '87/'88/'89

Last edited:
I coached Dunwoody, Bruntlett, Sable, Loggins, and Beigh in Basketball. Dunwoody, Bruntlett and Sable all earned World Series Rings (although Sable was dropped for the World Series, he still earned a ring. ). ... then Josh Lindblom, Dan Sattler and Dane Secott. I coached them mostly in '87/'88/'89
Harrison guy,eh?

Is Chad the son of Harry and Penny?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You were a coach at Harrison? I went to Harrison and graduated 87.

I think I know who you are. Definitely a Harrison theme. I will just say my son played with most if not all of them on all-stars. I have coached many of them myself. I count Jerry Galema and Jake Burton as friends also. The good old days before travel ball took over. Grandson played at Harrison last weekend and won that tourney. My oldest Grandson is now the golf pro at Battleground now funny how everything seems related.

I think I know who you are. Definitely a Harrison theme. I will just say my son played with most if not all of them on all-stars. I have coached many of them myself. I count Jerry Galema and Jake Burton as friends also. The good old days before travel ball took over. Grandson played at Harrison last weekend and won that tourney. My oldest Grandson is now the golf pro at Battleground now funny how everything seems related.
I haven't seen Kevin Bacon mentioned -- yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT