ADVERTISEMENT

Noble effort in South Bend

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
I wonder if 3 or 4 years from now, after Coach Versyp has beaten cancer and the Boilermakers are once again Big 10 champions and headed back to the Final Four, if we'll look back on these past two months as the beginning of Purdue's rise back to national prominence.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I wonder if 3 or 4 years from now, after Coach Versyp has beaten cancer and the Boilermakers are once again Big 10 champions and headed back to the Final Four, if we'll look back on these past two months as the beginning of Purdue's rise back to national prominence.
I sure hope and pray you are correct but I don't see it happening. If you cannot come up with or already have a play to run to win a tie game with 4.? seconds left and the ball OB in your court there is little hope of a FF or even BT Champs. It was very frustrating to be engaged in the game based on tremendous effort by the Purdue Ladies only to see their hopes dashed by a pp play (or lack of one) at the end of regulation.

Yes that was not a great play and we had definite chances in the OT, but ND's talent and depth were clearly superior and usually those teams win. Of course, we can't ignore that ND lost a player that was killing us and that probably gave us a chance to win this. Nonetheless, with hardly any bench and 3 prominent frosh Purdue had a really good season and almost knocked out a number 1 seed on their home floor. Any talk of Versyp leaving needs to completely stop. It is true that she does not seem to be able to get the top players, but maybe this ND effort will open that door some. At any rate, with what we have returning, this team should be competitive in the BT for at least a couple of years and hopefully beyond. That is nothing to snuff at in the real world of WBB.

Reactions: DocRon and rgarlitz
I sure hope and pray you are correct but I don't see it happening. If you cannot come up with or already have a play to run to win a tie game with 4.? seconds left and the ball OB in your court there is little hope of a FF or even BT Champs. It was very frustrating to be engaged in the game based on tremendous effort by the Purdue Ladies only to see their hopes dashed by a pp play (or lack of one) at the end of regulation.
It was pretty clear, as stated by analyst Mike Thibault (who has an amazing grasp of the game) that the play was not executed as drawn up. Oden did not give up the ball in time for Morrissette to get a shot off. You can draw up plays but it is your players who have to execute them. And just maybe ND had an ideal defense for the play. But blame Versyp if you must. Oden is just a freshman and a good one. She will get even better.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Looking at it again, you are probably right that Oden did not give up the ball, but 4 secs ain't much. Sadder that we had two leads in the OT, but still very pleased with what this team did even tho losing Murphy and Horrocks who would have made a difference. I think next year could be even better if we avoid and 8/9 draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT