ADVERTISEMENT

No Langford

Monday update: New Albany guard Romeo Langford trimmed his list to seven schools: Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, UCLA and Vanderbilt. Purdue had offered but for several months there didn't seem to be much traction between it and one of the top guard prospects in the 2018 class.
Go 'Dores!

I don't think too many of us are surprised by this news. Purdue with CMP does not get guys like Langford.

This is not a knock on CMP, but a good leader should know his weakest and hire the right person that will compensate for that weakest. As a Purdue alum & fan, I'm afraid that Miller with the help of Schilling will get them back to the promise land before we get there. This make me so f#cking sad...

that's not really what I was trying to say. Yes, there are many factors that come into play in an athlete's decision. Each school typically has 1-2 factors that outweigh others. For many schools like Duke and MSU and Michigan in football, you could say their coach is their main attracting factor. if Izzo was not at MSU, I have to believe their recruiting dips, the same as if Harbough is not at Michigan football. if Coach K is not at Duke, I believe their recruiting would dip, and UNC recruiting would rise. At MSU, I believe Izzo is the main attraction and he alone represents 50+% of the factor to attend their school. Because Michigan has always been a football powerhouse, Harbough is probably only a 30-35% of a factor to attend Michigan. I believe Calipari and Self are probably only 20-25% of the reason players choose Kansas or Kentucky. Calipari is important, but I have to believe if he leaves, the next coach will continue to follow his style of play and continue to recruit one and dones.

There are certain schools like UCLA, Kansas and Kentucky that will draw no matter who the coach is. When you add a great coach, they climb even higher. Alabama and OSU will always attract top recruits in football. But when you add Saban and Myers to the mix, their recruiting goes off the charts. it's as if they are playing the jokers wild, and they got a double wammy.

Sometimes, a recruit will like many different coaches. My son played at basketball camps for Lowry at SIU, Weber at Illinois and Coach k at Duke. He liked all three coaches, but didn't like the atmosphere at Illinois. He said the athletes who attended the Illinois basketball camp seemed like Chicago suburb preppies. if given a choice and an offer, his favorite school throughout high school was Michigan. He's never been to Michigan. He never met their coach. But he loves their style of play, and he likes the brand name Michigan and what it stands for. For what it's worth, Purdue would have been in my son's final 5.

I believe there is a different main factor for each school. But there is also a main factor for each recruit. When those factors match, you have a commitment.
I like your thought process here. Makes sense to me. It will be interesting to see what happens at Duke, when Coach K retires. If they can lure Brad Stevens out of the NBA they won't miss a beat. Anybody less than that will tell us if the name of the program carries the weight or the name of the coach does.

I don't think too many of us are surprised by this news. Purdue with CMP does not get guys like Langford.

This is not a knock on CMP, but a good leader should know his weakest and hire the right person that will compensate for that weakest. As a Purdue alum & fan, I'm afraid that Miller with the help of Schilling will get them back to the promise land before we get there. This make me so f#cking sad...
That's possible. The IU name has the tradition. It is also possible that Miller/Ed don't get the fives and are no better off than us. Or that they can't sustain 5 years out. There is a long way to go to find out.

OK, I'll bite - and resurrect the never dead "Purdue doesn't have a General Studies Major." Which it DOES NOT! ... it and one other school in the B1G. SO yes, Math 151 (or now 159) is required of every athlete. OH, and a f**k**g foreign language.

Let's be honest here for a second. If Painter is able to get a commitment from a 1 n done or a 2 n done, do you, I, Painter or anyone else care what the hell classes he takes as long as he stays eligible. He could take 15 hours of generals studies electives for all I care, as long as he can play ball the 2 or 4 semesters he's here.
Getting a degree is not part of the requirement to getting a scholarship.
My point being, I don't think that academics is a reason we miss out on top recruits. You think Duke, or UNC or UM is easier than Purdue academically?

Reactions: DG10
That's possible. The IU name has the tradition. It is also possible that Miller/Ed don't get the fives and are no better off than us. Or that they can't sustain 5 years out. There is a long way to go to find out.
I think tradition plays into things less and less. If it did, ND would have a top 5 recruiting class in FB every year. There's not another school in the world with more tradition than ND.
iu's last NC w in 87, that's 30 years ago and their last FF was what, 96?
I think the biggest negative for PU is you have had 2 coaches in the last 37 years. Neither of which have gone to a FF and second being a disciple of the former.

I think tradition plays into things less and less. If it did, ND would have a top 5 recruiting class in FB every year.
And they essentially do. The problem at ND right now is the coach, but that is a topic for a different board.

Here is my whole thing with trying to figure out recruiting. The fact is that all of us on here can speculate (that is what these boards are for) all we want, but the reality is we never will know why a recruit doesn't choose to play here. Maybe it was cold that day, or they had a bad experience at a local eatery, maybe they stepped in gum on the sidewalk, who knows.

What we do know is that CMP is consistently said to be honest, upfront and truthful. He also is "no nonsense" and I have yet to see a recruit say they didn't like him as a person. He's a very good coach and people see that outside of a few that are cranky on this site, but he has accomplished quite a few very positive and things more times than not.

Frankly I have given up trying to figure out why a player won't come here. But somehow, someway we still end up "ok" more times than not in the end and that is all that matters to me. I don't care where a recruit comes from, if we're winning, then we are heading towards our goals.

And they essentially do. The problem at ND right now is the coach, but that is a topic for a different board.

Here is my whole thing with trying to figure out recruiting. The fact is that all of us on here can speculate (that is what these boards are for) all we want, but the reality is we never will know why a recruit doesn't choose to play here. Maybe it was cold that day, or they had a bad experience at a local eatery, maybe they stepped in gum on the sidewalk, who knows.

What we do know is that CMP is consistently said to be honest, upfront and truthful. He also is "no nonsense" and I have yet to see a recruit say they didn't like him as a person. He's a very good coach and people see that outside of a few that are cranky on this site, but he has accomplished quite a few very positive and things more times than not.

Frankly I have given up trying to figure out why a player won't come here. But somehow, someway we still end up "ok" more times than not in the end and that is all that matters to me. I don't care where a recruit comes from, if we're winning, then we are heading towards our goals.

I agree with everything you said here, but there's obviously something Painter is either doing or not doing (and don't say 'cheat') that is getting him in the Top 5 of a lot of guys not able to close the deal.

I agree with everything you said here, but there's obviously something Painter is either doing or not doing (and don't say 'cheat') that is getting him in the Top 5 of a lot of guys not able to close the deal.
Nope if anything I think his "honesty" is what hurts him the most with some recruits. I would imagine that the "stars" want to be told they will be the go to guy where CMP from all I've read essentially says you can be the man, but you have to earn it.

Then again, it could be nothing of the sort and could be the cold and gum thing :)

Let's be honest here for a second. If Painter is able to get a commitment from a 1 n done or a 2 n done, do you, I, Painter or anyone else care what the hell classes he takes as long as he stays eligible. He could take 15 hours of generals studies electives for all I care, as long as he can play ball the 2 or 4 semesters he's here.
Getting a degree is not part of the requirement to getting a scholarship.
My point being, I don't think that academics is a reason we miss out on top recruits. You think Duke, or UNC or UM is easier than Purdue academically?
He MUST declare a major at the end of his first year. ANd then MUST make reasonable progress toward that specific degree, thus meaning the required courses toward that degree. Why do we keep debating this. OK, a one n done could slip through... as all the one n dones we've had have done. But there are no easy majors ... NONE ..give it up

And if you look at ANY degree at PU, you will see you need math 151/159 and other courses for ANY degree. So what they take their freshman year is determined and cannot be loaded with 30 hours of GS courses.

YES, making reasonable progress toward a DEGREE is a part of keeping a scholarship. Look it up.

I also ASSURE you that Todd Foster (Assistant Coach Todd Foster) does care what courses he takes ... I guarantee it. Not Painter's job to.

I don't think I ever suggested that academics is a specific reason someone doesn't come here ... although I know several who do wish they had understood the situation before they came here.

I ASSURE you that Math 151/159 is taken by every freshman athlete at PU ... and it iss not a GS course. Do some research. As well as a foreign language. If they play a 2nd year ... they better be taking these classes.

I know UM has a GS degree track ... 130 hours of whatever you want to take...

Last edited:
He MUST declare a major at the end of his first year. ANd then MUST make reasonable progress toward that specific degree, thus meaning the required courses toward that degree. Why do we keep debating this. OK, a one n done could slip through... as all the one n dones we've had have done. But there are no easy majors ... NONE ..give it up

And if you look at ANY degree at PU, you will see you need math 151/159 and other courses for ANY degree. So what they take their freshman year is determined and cannot be loaded with 30 hours of GS courses.

YES, making reasonable progress toward a DEGREE is a part of keeping a scholarship. Look it up.

I also ASSURE you that Todd Foster (Assistant Coach Todd Foster) does care what courses he takes ... I guarantee it. Not Painter's job to.

I don't think I ever suggested that academics is a specific reason someone doesn't come here ... although I know several who do wish they had understood the situation before they came here.

I ASSURE you that Math 151/159 is taken by every freshman athlete at PU ... and it iss not a GS course. Do some research. As well as a foreign language. If they play a 2nd year ... they better be taking these classes.

Maybe, just maybe, this FACT will sink in?

It won't. Anytime facts fail to support a false statement the poster of the falsehood simply drops the thread. So much easier than acknowledging being wrong.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Dakota Girl

Ummm...I think you're wrong.

A Purdue student who is undecided on their major can go into 'exploratory studies' and stay in there for 4 semesters.

http://www.purdue.edu/exploratory/

A Future That Fits
Exploratory Studies allows you to explore your options and interests before you select a major, giving you plenty of guidance along the way. You have up to four semesters to select the major that is right for you. We equip you to make informed decisions - saving you time, money, and a lot of headaches.

Discover your strengths ... Explore your options ... Find your place at Purdue and your pathway to an exciting career in Exploratory Studies!"

I eagerly anticipate your response because you sounded pretty confident in your whole "HE MUST DECLARE AT THE END OF HIS FIRST YEAR" statement.

A Purdue student who is undecided on their major can go into 'exploratory studies' and stay in there for 4 semesters.

A Future That Fits
Exploratory Studies allows you to explore your options and interests before you select a major, giving you plenty of guidance along the way. You have up to four semesters to select the major that is right for you. We equip you to make informed decisions - saving you time, money, and a lot of headaches.

Discover your strengths ... Explore your options ... Find your place at Purdue and your pathway to an exciting career in Exploratory Studies!"

I eagerly anticipate your response because you sounded pretty confident in your whole "HE MUST DECLARE AT THE END OF HIS FIRST YEAR" statement.
Send that to the NCAA. Exploratory studies is not a declared major. You may think so, but the NCAA says you are wrong. It is not a path toward a degree. I think you are wrong.

https://www.unc.edu/faculty/faccoun...PriorityRegistration/ProgressTowardDegree.pdf

Look up Seth and Todds phone numbers. They will love to hear your news. Because not one single student athlete at Purdue is pursuing a degree in Exploratory studies ... not one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG

A Future That Fits

Please f**king note that this is a great program to HELP A STUDENT CHOOSE A MAJOR ---
In the fall semester, students will be busy taking fall coursework, including EDPS 10500, and exploring Purdue majors and minors. Students are required to meet with their advisors for a September Check-in and then again for Spring Registration (in October and November). However, students are welcome to meet with their advisors whenever they have questions!

Because students are usually taking the courses they need for the majors they are exploring, they do not generally experience a delay in graduating. The date of graduation can depend on a lot of factors, including:

• How long it takes for the student to decide upon a major.
  • The student's ability to meet CODO requirements (required courses, minimum GPAs, and other requirements) to enter his or her chosen major.
  • If the student is pursuing internships, co-ops, or study abroad opportunities.
http://www.purdue.edu/exploratory/future-students/explore-exploratory-studies/academics.html

Are those the answers you EAGERLY ANTICATED????? I am pretty good at my job and pretty confident when it comes to things that I do on a day to day basis.

What Purdue says you can do has NOTHING to do with what the NCAA says a student athlete can do ... I think YOU ARE WRONG!

A Future That Fits

PLEASE study this before you reply to any of my posts. It will save you looking ignorant.

https://www.unc.edu/faculty/faccoun...PriorityRegistration/ProgressTowardDegree.pdf

It clearly says that a student athlete must have earned 24 hours toward a degree before the start of his 2nd year. ANd you know what ... wait for this ... A D in a course required for a degree does NOT COUNT as credit hours.

A Future That Fits

OH WAIT .. there's MORE! ... DUH - FOUR SEMESTERS does not make a f**king degree.

CODO'ing Out
The maximum amount of time students can remain in Exploratory Studies is four semesters. However, most students officially move to a degree-granting school or college after a year or less. This official movement is called a CODO (Change of Degree Objective) at Purdue. To CODO, students must meet the intended college's or school's CODO requirements (Change of Degree Objective). Exploratory Studies students adhere to the same CODO requirements as all other Purdue students.

A Future That Fits

No. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That will not qualify as declaring a major. It does not exempt an athlete from the NCAA and Purdue requirements to remain eligible to play. Please take a minute to understand. I think we dont want have to address this again. Purdue does face some disadvantages when it comes to letting athletes fall through the academic cracks like UNC or OSU.

No. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That will not qualify as declaring a major. It does not exempt an athlete from the NCAA and Purdue requirements to remain eligible to play. Please take a minute to understand. I think we dont want have to address this again. Purdue does face some disadvantages when it comes to letting athletes fall through the academic cracks like UNC or OSU.
THANKS ....

three questions.

When addressing a one and done player, am I correct in assuming all he has to do to play 2 semesters is to declare a major and maintain his eligibility his first semester? Would any dual credit classes from high school count towards maintaining his eligibility? Can he test out of courses? Does he have to take math 151 his first semester? or can he put that on the back burner? I doubt it's a prerequisite to any other class. What I'm hinting at, is can a player come to Purdue with about 12 college hours, declare a major, and then take a bunch of easy courses that are part of that major his first semester. I recall as part of my major, I was required to take pysch, a foreign language , English. and also 2 hours of some athletic activity. I also took a music appreciation class one semester and a couple of music theory classes. . is it possible a recruit could take those 5 classes their first semester and be considered as taking classes towards completion of their major? and they maintain their eligibility, and then play and don't care about their second semester? and attend their NBA combine and leave? is that possible.?

second question. At Purdue, I started as a computer science major in the school of science. My memory is pretty bad - a total data dump.. But I thought Purdue used to offer a degree in General Science. And I'll l admit, it was a tough degree because it required a student to take the basic chemistry, biology, physics and calculus courses a normal student in the school of science would take. .

a third question. Does Purdue offer a degree in Sports Administration?

three questions.

When addressing a one and done player, am I correct in assuming all he has to do to play 2 semesters is to declare a major and maintain his eligibility his first semester? Would any dual credit classes from high school count towards maintaining his eligibility? Can he test out of courses? Does he have to take math 151 his first semester? or can he put that on the back burner? I doubt it's a prerequisite to any other class. What I'm hinting at, is can a player come to Purdue with about 12 college hours, declare a major, and then take a bunch of easy courses that are part of that major his first semester. I recall as part of my major, I was required to take pysch, a foreign language , English. and also 2 hours of some athletic activity. I also took a music appreciation class one semester and a couple of music theory classes. . is it possible a recruit could take those 5 classes their first semester and be considered as taking classes towards completion of their major? and they maintain their eligibility, and then play and don't care about their second semester? and attend their NBA combine and leave? is that possible.?

second question. At Purdue, I started as a computer science major in the school of science. My memory is pretty bad - a total data dump.. But I thought Purdue used to offer a degree in General Science. And I'll l admit, it was a tough degree because it required a student to take the basic chemistry, biology, physics and calculus courses a normal student in the school of science would take. .

a third question. Does Purdue offer a degree in Sports Administration?
I'll answer in order of your questions:
1. He does not need to declare a major until the end of his freshman year, so a 1-dn does not need to declare a major.
2. If PU accepts his dual-credit, then yes, they would count toward his 24 hours for his 1st year. This is why summer school is so important. Todd and Seth push all student athletes to take math 151/9 and comm 201 in the summer. Honestly, tough courses, Comm is way to difficult, but the instructors design it, so be it. It is NOT easy. But if they pass them, they have 6 hours toward the 24, if they don't pass, they still have 2 semesters plus maymester to pass them.
3. Math 159 was designed as a way for student athletes to "test out of" math 151 (it's complicated). I've not seen an athlete test out of any course other than Span 101/102 in my many years.
4 Most student take a music appreciation class online from ISU ... not easy, but online helps. that fulfills that requirement.
5. They cannot put math 151/9 off ... it is a frosh requirement for every degree that PU has.
6. SInce PU has never had a 1-dn player, some of your questions are hard to answer, but yes, if he is really 1-dn, what he does 2nd semester is not important and he does not need to declare a major, BUT, his first semester needs to have some classes that lead toward a major ... which isn't hard because the core frosh requirements are all the same.
7. No idea about a GS degree, but as you say, it is still a tough degree ... Akeem Hunt pursued a degree in Kinethesiology - which is essentially a PE degree from way back. I want to tell you... that is one TOUGH degree. The degree that tends to be promoted is an OLS degree, which is not easy, but is highly useful for many future pursuits.
8. I need to research the sports admin degree. I know most of the grad assistants in the athletic academics area are getting masters in some form of sports admin, so I am pretty sure they do.

Last edited:
My son is pursuing the Sports administration degree with a minor in accounting. He's had to take several kinethesiology courses as part of that degree and they are hard. And now he claims to need a Masters Degree in admin or law or something to go with his degree. his goal is to become a coach or work for a professional sports org.

the General Science degree was geared towards high school science educators. But you had to take about 3-4 courses in three different sciences.

When I went to college I took Calc 163 as a freshman, but I didn't realize all freshmen were required to take a math class. I took it because I had to take three more semesters of calc. I also took Chemistry 115, English, French, and swimming. I didn't realize there are certain requirements all freshman had to take. I just thought you had to take them before you got your degree, or had to take them if they were a pre-req.

I will just say I've received degrees from 4 different universities, and Purdue was by far the toughest.

My son is pursuing the Sports administration degree with a minor in accounting. He's had to take several kinethesiology courses as part of that degree and they are hard. And now he claims to need a Masters Degree in admin or law or something to go with his degree. his goal is to become a coach or work for a professional sports org.

the General Science degree was geared towards high school science educators. But you had to take about 3-4 courses in three different sciences.

When I went to college I took Calc 163 as a freshman, but I didn't realize all freshmen were required to take a math class. I took it because I had to take three more semesters of calc. I also took Chemistry 115, English, French, and swimming. I didn't realize there are certain requirements all freshman had to take. I just thought you had to take them before you got your degree, or had to take them if they were a pre-req.

I will just say I've received degrees from 4 different universities, and Purdue was by far the toughest.
A non-student-athlete can do whatever they want to do as long as tuition is paid. Don't confuse NCAA requirements of progress toward a degree as applying to non-student-athletes. A student-athlete must have 24 credit hours that apply toward their degree before the start of their 2nd year.

A non-student-athlete can do whatever they want to do as long as tuition is paid. Don't confuse NCAA requirements of progress toward a degree as applying to non-student-athletes. A student-athlete must have 24 credit hours that apply toward their degree before the start of their 2nd year.

ok

It's not so much that they are "required" as a freshman as there is no future time to take them for a student athlete, and if a student athlete falls behind, there is just no way he can carry 18 hours to try to catch-up. Keeping their class load minimal but still cover all the NCAA progression towards a degree requirements is a serious juggling act. Thus, summer school becomes critical. Effort is always put-in to allow non-spring sport athletes to not attend may-mester, but many, many must to stay on scheudle ...

Just to further muddy the water with info that has nothing to do with student athletes, the feds have a point at which they somehow deny a student from taking any more classes toward a degree, even if the student wants to pay for them. It happens in 2-year programs a lot when a student achieves 67 (I think that's the right number) credit hours without a degree. Somehow, even if the student is ready to pay for the classes to finish his degree, the school can't let him. Craziest thing I've ever run into.

Send that to the NCAA. Exploratory studies is not a declared major. You may think so, but the NCAA says you are wrong. It is not a path toward a degree. I think you are wrong.

Look up Seth and Todds phone numbers. They will love to hear your news. Because not one single student athlete at Purdue is pursuing a degree in Exploratory studies ... not one.
Are you saying that the NCAA requires athletes to declare a major at the end of their 1st year?
That is what I understand you to suggest. That's INCORRECT according to the very link that you provided. It clearly states that a major must be declared at the beginning of their 3rd year.

Are you saying that the NCAA requires athletes to declare a major at the end of their 1st year?
That is what I understand you to suggest. That's INCORRECT according to the very link that you provided. It clearly states that a major must be declared at the beginning of their 3rd year.
That does appear to be a truth. That is not how it is normally handled and I don't know how that applies toward the "entering your 2nd year" rule that states "toward their declared major" (as is stated in the same document): --- Sophomore – Students going into their second year or third semester. • Student must have passed 24 hours toward their degree combining the previous fall, spring and summer. These hours are assessed against the major they have declared per term. •

And again, there is no General Studies degree at Purdue, so they can't assess these passed hours toward a degree that doesn't exist. Exploratory Studies is a program, not a degree track.

I suspect it has to do with not having a student athlete get caught in a situation later that can't be easily remedied. There are nine people in the athletic academics area that work with these compliance issues....

Last edited:
From the same document, this may explain it. It appears you can change your declared major before your Junior Year. If you do, different classes may or may not apply toward achievement of the new degree. Therefore, one could get caught without enough hours toward the new degree track to remain eligible. A situation that is best avoided by sticking with the major that you declared before your sophomore year. -----

Junior – Students going into their third year or fifth semester per NCAA. • Student must officially declare a major. • Student must have passed 18 hours toward their degree combining the previous fall and spring semesters only. • Student must have completed 40% of their degree. This will come to 48 hours for majors that require 120 hours to graduate. • These hours must be assessed according to what major they have declared per term. For example, to count the 18 hours for the year, if a student is EXSS in the fall and COMM in the spring, only hours passed toward EXSS may be counted toward the 18 in the fall and only hours passed toward COMM may be counted in the spring. However, this also depends on when exactly they change their major. If they change their major in the middle of the term as opposed to in between terms, the hours may count toward either major in that one specific term. If

But if a player was a one and done , what would his first semester of classes look like if he was trying to avoid the more difficult accounting, calculus, chemistry, and physics weed-out classes? I'm assuming 14 hours? or would it be 12 ?

The way I interpret the NCAA link is that following completion of the freshman year a student athlete must have 24/18 credit hours that apply toward a degree, not a particular degree or major, that is why there is no %age of degree progress required, and following complation of the sophomore year a student athlete must declare a major and have achieved 40% progress toward a degree in that major which also must be a minimum of 48 hours.
I dunno, but that sure is what it says to me.

But if a player was a one and done , what would his first semester of classes look like if he was trying to avoid the more difficult accounting, calculus, chemistry, and physics weed-out classes? I'm assuming 14 hours? or would it be 12 ?
Well, just a guess ...
Comm 21000, - summer
Soc 10000, - summer

Math 15900,
Eng 10600,
SLC 10100 -
Pol 14100
They'd probably sign him up for another course in the fall so he he can drop the one he is doing the worst in after a couple of week.

All are 3 credit hour classes

Last edited:
The way I interpret the NCAA link is that following completion of the freshman year a student athlete must have 24/18 credit hours that apply toward a degree, not a particular degree or major, that is why there is no %age of degree progress required, and following complation of the sophomore year a student athlete must declare a major and have achieved 40% progress toward a degree in that major which also must be a minimum of 48 hours.
All I know is how things are done, what a lot of importance is put on, and that there are very specific courses that all freshmen take. If you want to debate more, you'll have to talk with someone higher up than me.

This whole debate started around not having a general studies degree track. Therefore, regardless of which non-specific degree they aren't pursuing, there isn't one that will allow them to take all home-ec classes. There is a very specific list of courses that every non-engineering degree must have. Since most classes past their freshman year will be focused on their degree track, then the classes that are required for all (or nearly all) degrees (non engineering) will need to be taken their freshman year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT