ADVERTISEMENT

No Langford

You might want to check your LSU basketball history......

They didn't even make the tournament with Simmons.

no they didn't make the tournament. But I doubt they'd be any better if they had Pj or Haas instead.

Purdue just made the top 8 for 5* Louis King. Should Painter stop recruiting him? King will most likely be a one and done.

He played with Boogie on the USA team earlier this summer....

The young men on the team recruit as much as the coaches do....

Bigtime skill level.....rebounder, blocks shots and scorer.....

He played with Boogie on the USA team earlier this summer....

The young men on the team recruit as much as the coaches do....

Bigtime skill level.....rebounder, blocks shots and scorer.....
I knew who he was prior to this. I was responding to posters suggesting Painter shouldn't go after 5* players.

no they didn't make the tournament. But I doubt they'd be any better if they had Pj or Haas instead.
You said they went further with Simmons than they ever had. Simply wrong. LSU has 21 tournament appearances including (4) Final Fours without him.

I was suggesting you need to study LSU basketball history before posting what you did.

Reactions: Iuzach04 and Statey
I can't believe your post. because that is exactly what Painter has tried to do the last ten years - to go out and get two top ten recruits each and every year. he tried to get Swanigan knowing he'd probably be a one and done player. he tried everything he could to get JJJ. he went after Langford.

Painter is doing everything in his power to go after those one and dones. he's just not as successful as other coaches, and he doesn't cheat like a couple do.

Painter is not going to give up pursuing the one and dones because that's some silly idea or because people believe we're a lot better going after the 4 year type of player and red shirt them and develop them so they are great as seniors. that's not how college basketball works. you go after talent. and you play that talent. and if you have both Langford and PJ on your team, you start Langford. and if we had JJJ, one of our seniors would be sitting.

it would be very interesting if we had signed JJJ, as I believe V Edwards would have shifted to play SF, Haas would still start and either PJ or Mathias would have become a 6th man. and there would have been a lot of happy posters and a lot of unhappy posters on this board.
Exactly, of course we go after stud recruits, along with other power 5 schools, and we can't count on getting many if we are being realistic. My point is to accept the recruiting landscape (as fans) and not to cry over misses.

I can't believe your post. because that is exactly what Painter has tried to do the last ten years - to go out and get two top ten recruits each and every year. he tried to get Swanigan knowing he'd probably be a one and done player. he tried everything he could to get JJJ. he went after Langford.

Painter is doing everything in his power to go after those one and dones. he's just not as successful as other coaches, and he doesn't cheat like a couple do.

Painter is not going to give up pursuing the one and dones because that's some silly idea or because people believe we're a lot better going after the 4 year type of player and red shirt them and develop them so they are great as seniors. that's not how college basketball works. you go after talent. and you play that talent. and if you have both Langford and PJ on your team, you start Langford. and if we had JJJ, one of our seniors would be sitting.

it would be very interesting if we had signed JJJ, as I believe V Edwards would have shifted to play SF, Haas would still start and either PJ or Mathias would have become a 6th man. and there would have been a lot of happy posters and a lot of unhappy posters on this board.
Lots of speculation here. Last year Purdue had Swanigan and both PJ and Mathias started all year. It's far from a given that either would come off the bench, even with Jackson on the roster.

In the event that either was beaten out by more effective players, there would be very little complaining, just like there wasn't much complaining when Haas came off the bench last season. Purdue fans want the best 5 on the court. For example, when fans want PJ to start over Eastern to start the season, it's because Eastern hasn't proven that he deserves the starting spot, yet. If he proves it, Purdue fans will gladly see him take a spot in the starting line-up over the least deserving starting guard, whomever that might be.

You said they went further with Simmons than they ever had. Simply wrong. LSU has 21 tournament appearances including (4) Final Fours without him.

I was suggesting you need to study LSU basketball history before posting what you did.

I was trying to be brief and meant their recent history with the coach that recruited Simmons. In his coaching career at LSU, they were 19-12 in 2012(NO postseason); 20-13 in 2013(NIT POST Season) , 22-11 in 2014( lost in first round NCAA) 19-14 with Simmons ( no post season tourney) and 10-21 and 2-13 in SEC after Simmons left. Did Simmons take them farther than they would have without him? I think so.

Speaking of history, Purdue also won a national championship. and Purdue has won a lot of BIG 10 championship, I'm following my leader's example. I didn't realize my posts were being fact checked. I'll try to do better in the future.

You said try and land top10 recruits.The op said land them,big difference.

I knew who he was prior to this. I was responding to posters suggesting Painter shouldn't go after 5* players.
Hey boiler fans thought I chime in on this conversation but first what about them boilermakers what a heck of a run came up short 1 game but gave it there all. Spoke to my son and he told me he was tired 8 games in 10 days i expect most of them were gassed too had no legs left. That is a lot on the body and I'm glad they all got through this w/o any injuries and now they all can get ready for the upcoming season. So proud of these young men how they carried themselves on and off the court during their time there and I'm sure this experience will live with them a lifetime. However I do find it strange 1 loss to a team made up of players hand picked from all over that country and purdue looses than suddenly some of you throw them under the bus saying they won't even make the Ncaa tournament, not a top 25 team or make the Ncaa tournament but loose 1st round pretty harsh to say when it's August and not November yet, but hey all are entitled to free speech not mad at it. Another thing until you walk in the shoes of a recruit and there parents you all have no idea why a kid and his family chooses to pick another school over purdue it's so so many reasons but I can bet why some of the 5 star players choose to do so because for many it's not about fit, playing time, but Because of the name on the jersey trust me I no. When that happens many likely to transfer because they did not choose a school based on need or fit why if u look at the amount of transfers every year it's crazy. This year alone 850 transfers alone and many were 5 star all Americans supposedly was to be one and done. I see many of you think because you a 5star all American type player that they can carry a team to the final 4 we'll people so untrue. Duke had many of those on their team lost round 32 Kentucky has many lost elite 8 Kansas had a few lost elite 8 but South Carolina, Wichita state, Dayton gonzaga, Creighton, Xavier all of whom didn't have many 5star players but yet all of them reach a final 4 and elite 8 appearance because they played as a team and that is what gets you to a national championship not your ranking. Rankings, star status are man made and that doesn't guarantee to a national ship. Swanigan can't say enough about what he did for purdue right will be remembered as one of the all time greats to come through purdue but as much as he did for purdue and this team they only made it to sweet 16 and he had all the same status as the players Kentucky had. Michigan state 2 5star all American lost 2nd round and they were top 3 team coming into the season. Year before they were a top seed lost in 1st round so I'm basically saying it don't take 5 star all Americans to get to a final 4 because the teams that were predicted to be in the final 4 all but 1 made it there. Let the season play out this team is gonna be really really good. They only had barely a month to prepare just for the world games now they got 2 months to prepare for the upcoming season plenty of time for all the new comers to learn what they need to learn. I'm a former player myself played colleg ball, softball and 1 year volleyball why I love that sport so much as well but now I'm a license basketball official and softball umpire I've seen it all over the last 10 years. Purdue gonna be really really good team chemistry is good ,a balance team, much deeper bench and a team nobody gonna wanna play come march trust me. Let's get ready for a fun and exciting season because as the kids say it's gonna be LIT.

Hey boiler fans thought I chime in on this conversation but first what about them boilermakers what a heck of a run came up short 1 game but gave it there all. Spoke to my son and he told me he was tired 8 games in 10 days i expect most of them were gassed too had no legs left. That is a lot on the body and I'm glad they all got through this w/o any injuries and now they all can get ready for the upcoming season. So proud of these young men how they carried themselves on and off the court during their time there and I'm sure this experience will live with them a lifetime. However I do find it strange 1 loss to a team made up of players hand picked from all over that country and purdue looses than suddenly some of you throw them under the bus saying they won't even make the Ncaa tournament, not a top 25 team or make the Ncaa tournament but loose 1st round pretty harsh to say when it's August and not November yet, but hey all are entitled to free speech not mad at it. Another thing until you walk in the shoes of a recruit and there parents you all have no idea why a kid and his family chooses to pick another school over purdue it's so so many reasons but I can bet why some of the 5 star players choose to do so because for many it's not about fit, playing time, but Because of the name on the jersey trust me I no. When that happens many likely to transfer because they did not choose a school based on need or fit why if u look at the amount of transfers every year it's crazy. This year alone 850 transfers alone and many were 5 star all Americans supposedly was to be one and done. I see many of you think because you a 5star all American type player that they can carry a team to the final 4 we'll people so untrue. Duke had many of those on their team lost round 32 Kentucky has many lost elite 8 Kansas had a few lost elite 8 but South Carolina, Wichita state, Dayton gonzaga, Creighton, Xavier all of whom didn't have many 5star players but yet all of them reach a final 4 and elite 8 appearance because they played as a team and that is what gets you to a national championship not your ranking. Rankings, star status are man made and that doesn't guarantee to a national ship. Swanigan can't say enough about what he did for purdue right will be remembered as one of the all time greats to come through purdue but as much as he did for purdue and this team they only made it to sweet 16 and he had all the same status as the players Kentucky had. Michigan state 2 5star all American lost 2nd round and they were top 3 team coming into the season. Year before they were a top seed lost in 1st round so I'm basically saying it don't take 5 star all Americans to get to a final 4 because the teams that were predicted to be in the final 4 all but 1 made it there. Let the season play out this team is gonna be really really good. They only had barely a month to prepare just for the world games now they got 2 months to prepare for the upcoming season plenty of time for all the new comers to learn what they need to learn. I'm a former player myself played colleg ball, softball and 1 year volleyball why I love that sport so much as well but now I'm a license basketball official and softball umpire I've seen it all over the last 10 years. Purdue gonna be really really good team chemistry is good ,a balance team, much deeper bench and a team nobody gonna wanna play come march trust me. Let's get ready for a fun and exciting season because as the kids say it's gonna be LIT.
There are fans who are always looking for an excuse to complain, but I was very impressed by Purdue's performance, which has gotten me very excited about this team and the upcoming season.

A country with 1/3 the population of Indiana.

Seriously? You always take a 1 n done if you can get him. You're crazy not to. And don't bring up all this crap about 'culture' and 'fit' and 'team player'. If a kid is good enough to play in the NBA after a year or two, you take that kid without question.
I know the question was "would you rather" and I get what you are saying but taking one and dones or close to it exclusively requires that you be able to get several and do that almost every year.
That's Kentucky. If you view the question from the realistic position of Purdue, it's the 4 stars. Consistent four stars with a 5 every couple years would be perfect.

Hey Treed. Good post. Funny how the negative are always the loudest in life.
On to equally important issues. Hoping you got to go to Taiwan also. It appeared that the guys had a great time seeing the sights and meeting the people. It looks like they truly enjoy being a team. So glad they had the opportunity to see a place so far and different from home and participate in an event that so few ever get to do.

it's their coaches, not their programs!!!!!! don't you read this board? (tic)
I do, but I always regret it.:( But I get over it;). By the way, what you have been attempting to point out regarding a player being able to like many coaches which then brings in all the other factors which become the deciding factors, is the smartest explanation I have seen yet. Much better than the typical thinking on here which is that the kid loves one coach only and the rest had no chance from the get go.:rolleyes:

I do, but I always regret it.:( But I get over it;). By the way, what you have been attempting to point out regarding a player being able to like many coaches which then brings in all the other factors which become the deciding factors, is the smartest explanation I have seen yet. Much better than the typical thinking on here which is that the kid loves one coach only and the rest had no chance from the get go.:rolleyes:

my thought is a player can like both Painter and Izzo equally well. But if he chooses MSU over Purdue, it is because Izzo was the overriding factor.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe all the players who didn't choose Purdue were music majors? Maybe, rather than building that new sports facility, what Purdue really needed to d o was create and build a music school. if Purdue only had a music school. Iu has a music school. UW has a music school. al l the great basketball blue blood schools have music schools. instead of a weight room, Purdue athletics needs a music school. A glee Club and a band is just not enough.

my thought is a player can like both Painter and Izzo equally well. But if he chooses MSU over Purdue, it is because Izzo was the overriding factor.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe all the players who didn't choose Purdue were music majors? Maybe, rather than building that new sports facility, what Purdue really needed to d o was create and build a music school. if Purdue only had a music school. Iu has a music school. UW has a music school. al l the great basketball blue blood schools have music schools. instead of a weight room, Purdue athletics needs a music school. A glee Club and a band is just not enough.
OK, I'll bite - and resurrect the never dead "Purdue doesn't have a General Studies Major." Which it DOES NOT! ... it and one other school in the B1G. SO yes, Math 151 (or now 159) is required of every athlete. OH, and a f**k**g foreign language.

Reactions: mathboy
Yes I was educating everyone not just speaking to you...

Just used your post since you mentioned King.

Reactions: tynd10
I was trying to be brief and meant their recent history with the coach that recruited Simmons. In his coaching career at LSU, they were 19-12 in 2012(NO postseason); 20-13 in 2013(NIT POST Season) , 22-11 in 2014( lost in first round NCAA) 19-14 with Simmons ( no post season tourney) and 10-21 and 2-13 in SEC after Simmons left. Did Simmons take them farther than they would have without him? I think so.

Speaking of history, Purdue also won a national championship. and Purdue has won a lot of BIG 10 championship, I'm following my leader's example. I didn't realize my posts were being fact checked. I'll try to do better in the future.

Post whatever you want. But if it's factually incorrect expect to get called on it. By your own "clarification" they made the post season the prior 2 years to Simmons. With Simmons they didn't. Doesn't seem like he had much impact does it??

You tend to make long posts and honestly I don't have the time/patience to read everything. Your opinions are just that, but facts are facts. LSU didn't go further with Simmons then ever before, they didn't even go as far as the season before he joined them.

The point is that once you are in a recruits final group be it 2, 5, 8, whatever, many factors come into play. He may want to major in music. Maybe he prefers limestone to brick. Maybe he is in love with being on ESPN all the time and wants to be called a Rolls-Roycer by Dukie V. Maybe he likes the other players at one place. Maybe he wants the biggest and most eminities laden basketball dorm (Louisville). Maybe he just likes coach K a little more. You name it and that could be the decision maker.

Reactions: Inspector100
The point is that once you are in a recruits final group be it 2, 5, 8, whatever, many factors come into play. He may want to major in music. Maybe he prefers limestone to brick. Maybe he is in love with being on ESPN all the time and wants to be called a Rolls-Roycer by Dukie V. Maybe he likes the other players at one place. Maybe he wants the biggest and most eminities laden basketball dorm (Louisville). Maybe he just likes coach K a little more. You name it and that could be the decision maker.

that's not really what I was trying to say. Yes, there are many factors that come into play in an athlete's decision. Each school typically has 1-2 factors that outweigh others. For many schools like Duke and MSU and Michigan in football, you could say their coach is their main attracting factor. if Izzo was not at MSU, I have to believe their recruiting dips, the same as if Harbough is not at Michigan football. if Coach K is not at Duke, I believe their recruiting would dip, and UNC recruiting would rise. At MSU, I believe Izzo is the main attraction and he alone represents 50+% of the factor to attend their school. Because Michigan has always been a football powerhouse, Harbough is probably only a 30-35% of a factor to attend Michigan. I believe Calipari and Self are probably only 20-25% of the reason players choose Kansas or Kentucky. Calipari is important, but I have to believe if he leaves, the next coach will continue to follow his style of play and continue to recruit one and dones.

There are certain schools like UCLA, Kansas and Kentucky that will draw no matter who the coach is. When you add a great coach, they climb even higher. Alabama and OSU will always attract top recruits in football. But when you add Saban and Myers to the mix, their recruiting goes off the charts. it's as if they are playing the jokers wild, and they got a double wammy.

Sometimes, a recruit will like many different coaches. My son played at basketball camps for Lowry at SIU, Weber at Illinois and Coach k at Duke. He liked all three coaches, but didn't like the atmosphere at Illinois. He said the athletes who attended the Illinois basketball camp seemed like Chicago suburb preppies. if given a choice and an offer, his favorite school throughout high school was Michigan. He's never been to Michigan. He never met their coach. But he loves their style of play, and he likes the brand name Michigan and what it stands for. For what it's worth, Purdue would have been in my son's final 5.

I believe there is a different main factor for each school. But there is also a main factor for each recruit. When those factors match, you have a commitment.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Um, just a wild guess, but he may have gotten it from Rivals. Which is who runs this site.
FWIW, Rivals updated their rankings today and the Indiana kids are ranked:

Romeo - 6
Andersen - 103
Henry - 112
Phinisee - 121
Hunter - 126

(Not Indiana)
Trevion Williams - 109

I must have missed it, (on the free board), but everybody I have seen has been very positive and even raised their expectations. There may be people on twitter or other media that are worried, but those are the outliers. Throughout the entire tournament, I only had one small gripe, and that was a lack of Ewing and Wheeler in the final game. That was explained on the defensive end. Once they figure out the system, Purdue will be extremely tough because they can change up styles and not skip a beat. Purdue is the deepest they have been in a long time. They have so much talent moving forward. Most of the actual Purdue fans expectations say a minimum of a sweet 16 and competing for another Big Ten championship.

Personally, I think MSU is over hyped. They are adding a single starter to a team that really struggled last year and was average at best. I am curious to see how JJJ, Ward, and Bridges mesh. Their guards all underachieved as well last year. It wouldn't surprise me if Purdue wins the Big Ten and makes a final four run. But, I think they need Ewing and Wheeler to be able to step in if they are getting beat on the boards and struggling shooting. They won't face another guantlet like they did wth 8 games in 10 days and they are at a huge advantage starting the season. I could see the Boilers winning Atlantis and grabbing 2 really big wins. Their schedule is set that if they win Atlantis and beat Louisville, they will be a top 5-10 team. This year has all of the makings of something special.

As for the 5 star recruits, they are not a given. MSU last year had one of the best incoming recruit classes and they were very average. Painter looks at fit. If they player doesn't want to be at Purdue and doesn't fit what he wants to do, he passes. Painter needs to add to the '19 class. He could stand to add atleast 2 pieces that can contribute. They have enough pieces that even if a 5 star isn't added, Purdue will still have a good team. Taylor (presumably), Cline, Eastern, C. Edwards (assuming he doesn't leave early), Williams, Ewing, Wheeler, Haarms. There also could be transfers available.

I remain very optimistic for the future as most true Boiler fans do.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVBoilerFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT