ADVERTISEMENT

Next years starting 5

wonder about TKR too. Hopefully he makes a big jump. He's a rugged 6'9 that doesn't have great hops and seems to foul a bit much. His offensive arsenal , so far, seems to be limited
Huh? His offense is his best part. My concern would be defensively against bigger players but there ain't a lot of bigger players out there these days.

Loyer has been consistent but he hasn't really jumped yet. Could he? Of course. It's not a guarantee though. That consistency will guarantee him minutes but it won't guarantee him a forever starting role. If he makes a jump then of course he could start all four years.
His efficiency has jumped, he needs to show that he can maintain that with higher usage.

CMP is going to have to figure out who plays best with who. Next season the only player that will get 30+ minutes / game may be Smith. That said, the 2nd team will need to jell together and be able to hold its own re: scoring, rebounding and defense.

IMO there is only 1 player guaranteed a starting 5 spot next year. 100% lock and that is Smith.

Next years starters are going to be determined by offseason work, and almost assuredly will change MANY times through out the season.

Alot are assuming TKR takes the 5 spot. I dont see that at all as that would be very weak defensively to have him at the 5 for huge minutes. Certain stretches sure. We are going to need some of the freshman to be studs early I think. I think Colvin ends up a starter.

A fun guess Im going to go with is a much more athletic and shooting/driving dominated starting 5. Not saying I think this will happen, but I could see it.

Smith
Colvin
Catchings
Heide
Berg

With loyer being a super sub at the 2/3 spot and TKR a suoer sub at the 4/5 spot both getting a lot of minutes

And 1 of the freshman gets 6 or so mpg backing up smith

A fun guess Im going to go with is a much more athletic and shooting/driving dominated starting 5. Not saying I think this will happen, but I could see it.

Smith
Colvin
Catchings
Heide
Berg

With loyer being a super sub at the 2/3 spot and TKR a suoer sub at the 4/5 spot both getting a lot of minutes

And 1 of the freshman gets 6 or so mpg backing up smith
I just don't see anything to suggest Berg is ready to start. With Edey you saw it right away. Berg not so much. Doesn't mean he can't get there eventually of course. I'm just not sure I see it for next season.

Reactions: Roeder
I just don't see anything to suggest Berg is ready to start. With Edey you saw it right away. Berg not so much. Doesn't mean he can't get there eventually of course. I'm just not sure I see it for next season.
We’re spoiled comparing Berg to Edey… how does he compare to early Harms or Haas?

Reactions: Schnelk
What is this statement based on? Where has he played guys because he's loyal rather than because he believes that they give the team a best chance to win?
Seriously....just this season he finally gave up on morton. He stumped Colvin and heides growth sitting behind morton and loyer. They had to progress this season for purdue to be as good as it could. I don't think we beat uconn either way but we would be better going into next season. He loved r Davis and forced others to play out of position to get him minutes.

Seriously....just this season he finally gave up on morton. He stumped Colvin and heides growth sitting behind morton and loyer. They had to progress this season for purdue to be as good as it could. I don't think we beat uconn either way but we would be better going into next season. He loved r Davis and forced others to play out of position to get him minutes.
I don't know how to respond to this without being a complete a$%#* (which is my go-to mode anyway). Thanks for responding.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Exactly, we have no idea which of these frosh will be big-time immediately and which will be big-time later.
Both can handle it and shoot the 3. Jacobsen is aggressive on the defensive end and can be a real force whenever he is ready…whether that be next year or the year after…he is going to give a huge defensive presence down there much like Clingan did for UConn. Then if burgess backs him up, he can be similar to how Samson Johnson was for UConn and be the athletic guy off the bench and still make an impact.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Morton early on was able to contribute right away. Gave us the ability to win over good teams that gave us the best SOS in the country and earn the 1 seed very early and basically guaranteed even if we lost the last 2-3 games, we’d still be a 1 seed. Painter was bringing Colvin and Heide along throughout the season to get their confidence up and make sure they were doing the right things that needed to be done to compete and make the team successful…this could be defense, rebounding, positioning, passing the ball in the post when needed, team defense, spacing etc etc.

If he played Heide and Colvin right away and gave them major mins, we may have been the same but I’d be willing to be bet we wouldn’t have been and would have lost quite a few games early and even in the B1G, which would have not given us a 1 seed in the tourney—so we may have not got to the NC game, not been back to back B1G champs, not been Maui champs, not beat IU…ok we still would have, and team chemistry may have been off and resulted in ppl leaving and ruining the return of Zach and he may not get another POTY.

I think it all worked out pretty well….its not like this is the end my friend. Future is bright with our core and recruiting class. Trust in Painter…the only knock on him now is that he hasn’t won a national championship…and there aren’t a lot that have in the last 35 years….its happened only 2 times in the B1G during that span. I have confidence it won’t take another 44 years to get back to the F4.

Burgess might have more of a chance for minutes than Jacobsen, as he looks physically stronger.

Jacobsen is going to benefit from weights and eating more. He is a wildcard on getting playing time this year.
Need Jacobsen and Catchings to eat at every dining hall for every meal from now until August.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Need Jacobsen and Catchings to eat at every dining hall for every meal from now until August.
Pictures I’ve seen from Catchings this season at OTE, he looks like he has added muscle to his frame. Jacobsen might be like JaJuan and never get massive but that’s okay.

Pictures I’ve seen from Catchings this season at OTE, he looks like he has added muscle to his frame. Jacobsen might be like JaJuan and never get massive but that’s okay.
Whatever can get them ready is fine by me. Selfishly, I hope Catchings sticks around 2 years at least. Maybe add in a little Haralson or Sisley or both..

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Whatever can get them ready is fine by me. Selfishly, I hope Catchings sticks around 2 years at least. Maybe add in a little Haralson or Sisley or both..
The sooner all 6 are on campus working with the team and training, the better.

I think 2 years will serve him well. If he only stays one, that probably means we had a successful year and he bolstered his draft stock.

One could argue, based on Evan Miya’s analytical rankings, not to mention the eye test, that Clingan was UConn’s best player this season. In fact, per Miya’s analytics, the championship game featured the top 2 players in the nation at center. In a way it was reminiscent of the 80’s when Ewing prevailed over Olajuwon in a battle of dominant centers.

Of course, other positions do matter. Per Miya’s analytics, all 5 UConn starters were top 20 players nationally and it’s 6th man was #34, while Purdue featured 2 top 6 players, but nobody else in the top 50 and only 4 total players in the top 100. Regardless, take away Clingan and I like Purdue’s chances against UConn.
The fact UCONN had 6 top 34 players explains everything. Just a historically great team Purdue unfortunately had to meet in the final.

Reactions: northside100
I feel like they looked better too, but I'm not saying he won't play, I'm just saying I don't think he starts.
For me it’s really hard to compare as Will has really only played in garbage time and Matty H and IH both played big minutes as true freshmen. I tend to agree with you in thinking it unlikely that Will starts, but I don’t have much data to base that off of.

I feel pretty good about our options between Caleb, Will and the freshmen but it’s unclear whether any of those guys will be game changers versus complimentary pieces.

The fact UCONN had 6 top 34 players explains everything. Just a historically great team Purdue unfortunately had to meet in the final.
That makes sense and it played out in the championship game. Zach did his thing but Purdue needed one or two other guys to step up and have a monster night and it just didn’t happen.

It will be interesting to see if anyone besides Braden really becomes a game changer over this next two seasons.

Reactions: Roeder
That makes sense and it played out in the championship game. Zach did his thing but Purdue needed one or two other guys to step up and have a monster night and it just didn’t happen.

It will be interesting to see if anyone besides Braden really becomes a game changer over this next two seasons.
Curious to see the effect of no Zach in the post on Smiths game and numbers. Braden is good but don’t think there’s any doubt having Zach helped him tremendously. I expect him to have a good season next year , just going to interesting to see what kinds of changes occur to his game (if any).

Reactions: northside100
Curious to see the effect of no Zach in the post on Smiths game and numbers. Braden is good but don’t think there’s any doubt having Zach helped him tremendously. I expect him to have a good season next year , just going to interesting to see what kinds of changes occur to his game (if any).
My curiosity is more towards Loyer. Smith just has elite court vision and he always knows where everyone is on the court. Both of them are elite shooters and both benefited from wide open shots thanks to Edey. Smith though is a little quicker and obviously he is a dual threat on drives. I think his game is affected less.

True, but what other option do we have at center? I dont see 6'9(his actual height) tkr starting at center

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
TKR, Furst, Berg, Jacobsen and Burgess could all play the 5. TKR at the 5 allows us to be smaller and get up and down.
I would be shocked to see Trey play more than spot minutes at the five without another big given that he provides very little rim protection, but I could be wrong. Agree with your point and all the names you listed are potential options.

Reactions: krazychicagod
I would be shocked to see Trey play more than spot minutes at the five without another big given that he provides very little rim protection, but I could be wrong. Agree with your point and all the names you listed are potential options.
Rim protection is less important if you are quicker and more athletic on defense.

Offense is also a pretty important consideration.

TKR, Furst, Berg, Jacobsen and Burgess could all play the 5. TKR at the 5 allows us to be smaller and get up and down.
I mean I understand we literally have options.. but I just personally dont see TKR as our every day starting 5. He offers zero rim protection at all, probably struggles in the high PnR more than edey did.

And I really dont see either of the freshman coming in day 1 and being better than Berg. Did Berg redshirt 1 year or was last year his true freshman year? I cant remember. If it was a redshirt freshman year I am putting my money on a 3rd year guy over any freshman. From what I have seen of him he has solid post game and is OK movement wise. Im nit saying he will play 30 mpg, he likely is in a 2 or even 3 man rotation at the 5. I also am sure TKR will get stretch runs as the 5 in a small 4 shooter lineup, but he wont start at the 5 IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT