ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's recruiting class?

Sep 2, 2001
I heard that the Purdue Women are getting some great players next. Does anyone know any specifics (class ranking, etc.)? I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I am not a regular viewer on this site.

Next year's class is not top 25, but with the addition of Amaiyah Reynolds who red-shirted this year, it should be a very good additive class to this year's freshmen IF either of the lightly heralded post recruits, Puryear or McCarthy can give significant help to Stevenson on the block and be a force up on the glass hard. The third member of the class is Poole, a well ranked point guard with the ability to score. Additionally we need one or two of Alaina Harper, Mila Reynolds, or McKenna Layden to step up big next year to give us post depth (especially if Puryear and McCarthy aren't ready day one). I'm hopeful McKenna can play as a combo forward and be able to post up guards against a 4 guard offense or hit threes when being defended by a big post. We will be young, and probably take a lot of lumps, but in a couple years if everyone stays and improves we should be back contending for the NCAA and laying the foundation to move back to top 5 of the conference in a few more years.

Just to echo Michael's post, we have essentially two Point guards (Amiyah Reynolds 6'0 and Jordyn Poole 5'6ish) that come in the 24' class. Both are top 60 talent(per espn) and will help with our athleticism. They will both play from day one and I think Amiyah starts from day one, she has a chance to be special imo. The other two recruits are unranked but I've seen a few of both of their games. I think Kendall Puryear(6'2) will be a good rebounder from day one. Lana Mccarthy has size(6'4) but I can't say with any confidence if she'll be ready to contribute right away.

Besides the recruits brought in I’m guessing Coach tries to bring in a player or two via the portal, as was said, frontcourt help is needed, not sure you want to depend on two under the radar Frosh. Also, those in the know, is it a for sure that Madison is not returning?

Besides the recruits brought in I’m guessing Coach tries to bring in a player or two via the portal, as was said, frontcourt help is needed, not sure you want to depend on two under the radar Frosh. Also, those in the know, is it a for sure that Madison is not returning?
She is not. Mike Carmin reported on this earlier this week

Reactions: MichaelRR
KG also has already said the portal is not a priority this year, she wants to build with the freshmen. We will have 5 posts on the roster already for next year, with a very highly rated post coming the next two years in a row. So any post with more than one year of eligibility is not going to look at us seriously. Additionally it would skew the numbers for recruiting down the road for classes depending on who we might get from the portal.

KG also has already said the portal is not a priority this year, she wants to build with the freshmen. We will have 5 posts on the roster already for next year, with a very highly rated post coming the next two years in a row. So any post with more than one year of eligibility is not going to look at us seriously. Additionally it would skew the numbers for recruiting down the road for classes depending on who we might get from the portal.
I know what Coach said, I still think they’ll add a player or two, that would be my guess, maybe they won’t. With Madison gone how many scholarships would be spoken for next season, 11-12? You’re allowed 15, 3-4 short seems like a lot. Plus, this doesn’t even count those that will leave, usually 1-2 players transfer out, I imagine Purdue loses at least 1, probably 2.

Last edited:
Here you go … WBB updates from Mike Carmin last Saturday

Thank you, she’s had a nice career, having said that, sort of time for all of the old heads to go, the ladies need a new direction. This years addition isn’t athletic enough, need players who can score the ball, most just stand around and launch from the outside, Terry can drive but she can’t score, these days you need a PG who can at least be a threat to score. Next year looks like it might be a struggle, who knows though, maybe more athletic players will make a difference? They’re going to need at least 1 transfer front court player, I know Coach said it won’t be a priority, still guessing she adds two (maybe Sr’s or Covid Years) for depth, heck probably would be a nice opportunity to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT