ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lineup?

Kaufman will eventually be the starter at the 4 position next year.

1. Hunter
2. Ivey
3. Newman
4. Kaufman
5. Tre
That's not bad, won't happen early but that's a good guess. Sasha, Gillis, Furst, Edey in the 9 man, I can see that, Morton, IT round it out, Wheeler if he stays will be 12th man 5 minute a game guy if he stays.

Reactions: SegregationOfDuties
That's not bad, won't happen early but that's a good guess. Sasha, Gillis, Furst, Edey in the 9 man, I can see that, Morton, IT round it out, Wheeler if he stays will be 12th man 5 minute a game guy if he stays.

Here’s a wild stab at it:

Ivey 25
Newman 25
Hunter 25
Kaufman 20
Trevion 25
Morton 10
Sasha 25
Gillis 15
Furst 15
Edey 15

Kaufman will have to beat out Gillis for the 4 man spot. I'm sure it is Mason's spot to lose at the moment though. However, Kaufman is larger and better imo so I think he will be able to do it. I do not see Jaden Ivey losing his starting spot based on the way he is currently playing either.

Mason will be super aggressive when he plays next year and will probably get a lot of fouls called on him since I anticipate Painter will tell him to make his minutes count.

I do not think it would be a big surprise to see IT and Wheeler. They both have younger guys that are ahead of them on the depth chart so I'm just not sure how many minutes they can expect. I'd be shocked to see Morton leave based on his age and the fact that no guards are coming in next year.

Kaufman will have to beat out Gillis for the 4 man spot. I'm sure it is Mason's spot to lose at the moment though. However, Kaufman is larger and better imo so I think he will be able to do it. I do not see Jaden Ivey losing his starting spot based on the way he is currently playing either.

Mason will be super aggressive when he plays next year and will probably get a lot of fouls called on him since I anticipate Painter will tell him to make his minutes count.

I do not think it would be a big surprise to see IT and Wheeler. They both have younger guys that are ahead of them on the depth chart so I'm just not sure how many minutes they can expect. I'd be shocked to see Morton leave based on his age and the fact that no guards are coming in next year.
Yep, they are grooming Morton to take over PG once Hunter leaves. I think he will be patient and grab more minutes next year. Then take over full time in a couple years with Jameel Brown learning the ropes under Morton.

Kaufman will have to beat out Gillis for the 4 man spot. I'm sure it is Mason's spot to lose at the moment though. However, Kaufman is larger and better imo so I think he will be able to do it. I do not see Jaden Ivey losing his starting spot based on the way he is currently playing.
Clearly you haven’t been trolling the IU forums - Mason is leaving at the end of the year. He sees the writing on the walls and has already submitted his transfer paperwork. The only reason he is playing hard is so Painter signs off on it and allows him to play next year. (TIC)

Regardless who ends up as our 4 come March 2022 - that person will he battled tested.

Clearly you haven’t been trolling the IU forums - Mason is leaving at the end of the year. He sees the writing on the walls and has already submitted his transfer paperwork. The only reason he is playing hard is so Painter signs off on it and allows him to play next year. (TIC)

Regardless who ends up as our 4 come March 2022 - that person will he battled tested.
Actually... I am guilty of trolling the IU forums. Regardless, my thoughts and opinions stand.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He's hitting about 80% on his FTs, so this would be a good strategy. With his solid shooting from outside, he may also get minutes at SF like Vince Edwards and Todd Mitchell did.

Reactions: TX4GB
He's hitting about 80% on his FTs, so this would be a good strategy. With his solid shooting from outside, he may also get minutes at SF like Vince Edwards and Todd Mitchell did.
I meant he would be picking up fouls on the defensive end. I do not think he will have many opportunities to shoot next year due to the talent on our team.

I meant he would be picking up fouls on the defensive end. I do not think he will have many opportunities to shoot next year due to the talent on our team.
Ah, I see. I remember last year there were reports coming from practice that his shooting was a positive surprise after sitting out so long. He's showing poise and confidence in his shot this year, and will only get better. He was talented before his injury and his talent is just starting to come out.

Gillis has more floor burns and hustles more than anyone on the team. History tells us that those players get a lot of playing time.

I assume you mean Ivey and Newman when you say Thompson has younger guys that are ahead of him because at this point Painter clearly favors Thompson over Morton. Is it because Morton had mono? Maybe, but I don’t think it’s fair to write off Thompson when he’s played twice as many minutes as Morton and has out produced him in nearly every catagory.

I don’t see many minutes for either of them actually because my guess is Ivey, Newman, Hunter and Sasha could all be logging close to 30 minutes next year. Hunter and Sasha already are averaging over 30 this year and Newman is at 26. Throw in 25 or 30 for Ivey and that really only leaves 5 or 10 minutes at the guard position. There is even a possibility that a guy like Gillis or Kaufman could get those minutes at the three.

Reactions: jtanoos1
Ah, I see. I remember last year there were reports coming from practice that his shooting was a positive surprise after sitting out so long. He's showing poise and confidence in his shot this year, and will only get better. He was talented before his injury and his talent is just starting to come out.

Gillis has more floor burns and hustles more than anyone on the team. History tells us that those players get a lot of playing time.
I think Mason will play. However, I just view him as a guy that is never going to be a huge scorer. He takes and makes his open shots but he doesn’t try to creat shots and he never forces shots.

I assume you mean Ivey and Newman when you say Thompson has younger guys that are ahead of him because at this point Painter clearly favors Thompson over Morton. Is it because Morton had mono? Maybe, but I don’t think it’s fair to write off Thompson when he’s played twice as many minutes as Morton and has out produced him in nearly every catagory.

I don’t see many minutes for either of them actually because my guess is Ivey, Newman, Hunter and Sasha could all be logging close to 30 minutes next year. Hunter and Sasha already are averaging over 30 this year and Newman is at 26. Throw in 25 or 30 for Ivey and that really only leaves 5 or 10 minutes at the guard position. There is even a possibility that a guy like Gillis or Kaufman could get those minutes at the three.
If Thompson and Morton don’t play much next year then they will try to earn minutes the following year. However, Morton and Thompson will be competing with Loyer and Jameel too. I anticipate Ivey and Newman getting 30+ minutes per game as juniors too. This leaves one spot available unless Kaufman is playing the three.

I am not wishing anyone away. However, one poster above mentioned Wheeler and someone else potentially leaving. My guess is that Wheeler and Thompson leave if anyone does. However, with the Thompson’s close ties to Painter and with PJ being on staff I don’t see it being super likely.

I see absolutely no reason why a guy like Morton would consider leaving though.

I think Mason will play. However, I just view him as a guy that is never going to be a huge scorer. He takes and makes his open shots but he doesn’t try to creat shots and he never forces shots.

When you are frosh, that is not so unusual.
Come Jr and Sr years, things can change.
That was how things worked out in old days
No biggie, as long as he gets the minutes to play

I see him as second coming of Grady + better athleticism..

Mason is awesome in what he does, just hope for more consistency.

Boiler Up!!

When you are frosh, that is not so unusual.
Come Jr and Sr years, things can change.
That was how things worked out in old days
No biggie, as long as he gets the minutes to play

I see him as second coming of Grady + better athleticism..

Mason is awesome in what he does, just hope for more consistency.

Boiler Up!!
Grady took the 8th most shots on our elite eight team. They are literally the same player for the most part and that’s why Mason won’t take many shots.

I think IT, Wheeler and maybe even Morton find it tough to get much PT next year.
Agree, just not seeing where their minutes will come from next year. I could see them getting a few minutes each, but all 3 have guys in front of them who are clearly better players.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Here’s a wild stab at it:

Ivey 25
Newman 25
Hunter 25
Kaufman 20
Trevion 25
Morton 10
Sasha 25
Gillis 15
Furst 15
Edey 15
Good call, think Thompson probably pencils in at 8-10 minutes a game, probably cut a few guys minutes to make that happen.

If Thompson and Morton don’t play much next year then they will try to earn minutes the following year. However, Morton and Thompson will be competing with Loyer and Jameel too. I anticipate Ivey and Newman getting 30+ minutes per game as juniors too. This leaves one spot available unless Kaufman is playing the three.

I am not wishing anyone away. However, one poster above mentioned Wheeler and someone else potentially leaving. My guess is that Wheeler and Thompson leave if anyone does. However, with the Thompson’s close ties to Painter and with PJ being on staff I don’t see it being super likely.

I see absolutely no reason why a guy like Morton would consider leaving though.
I think Thompson sticks around, at least next year.

Don’t forget Jaden is a poor mans Romeo. So he must really suck.

Assuming no transfers out or surprise pros, 2021-22 starters:
  • Ivey
  • Newman
  • Sasha
  • Gillis
  • Tre
OTB:
  • Hunter
  • Kaufman
  • Edey
  • IT
  • Wheeler
RS:
  • Morton
  • Furst

But it's also hard to imagine a player like Hunter wanting to come off the bench when he could be starting elsewhere. Hopefully CMP can manage the minutes and get the players to buy in and stay on no matter what.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I posted this in another thread. Brian said, and repeated, that Morton's progress was dramatically hindered by mono.
I've seen some flashes of his abilities that tell me that it is as important for his teammates to adjust to him as he needs to adjust to the college game. In fall of 68 I was present when members of five previous teams came together to form the first one at Benton Central. There was a fast smallish senior present that was a passing wizard. The only problem was that only those that had played with him before we're looking for his fastball passing. Many passes hit an unready recipient in the back of his head. Morton is that kind of passer. Given a healthy off season for his teammates to adjust he will make them all better.

Freshman Gillis = Senior Grady (Elite Eight)?!

I like the future with 3 or 4 more years of Gillis' growth!

This is a pretty good analogy.

The question is what happens to Gillis' minutes if Furst and Kaufman have Juan Johnson and Biggie type talent?
That's not a stretch because that's where they are ranked.

Reactions: jtanoos1

The question is what happens to Gillis' minutes if Furst and Kaufman have Juan Johnson and Biggie type talent?

Kaufman would get minutes at the 3, in that case, right? I can't imagine Gillis going down to 15 minutes per game, under any circumstances.

Kaufman would get minutes at the 3, in that case, right? I can't imagine Gillis going down to 15 minutes per game, under any circumstances.
So hard to tell because a high school senior can’t be to the physicality of where Mason is at this point. Granted there is a video of Kaufman playing against TJD and Joey Brunk - he dominated the both of them. Granted I think TJD is soft but Kaufman is crafty and strong.

I go back to my earlier point - this competition at the 3.5/4/5 is only going to make this team stronger come March Madness 2022 version.

As good of a player he turned out to be, JuJuan Johnson was not a star his freshman year. He didn't start until about mid-season, and started half of the games.

I've seen some flashes of his abilities that tell me that it is as important for his teammates to adjust to him as he needs to adjust to the college game. In fall of 68 I was present when members of five previous teams came together to form the first one at Benton Central. There was a fast smallish senior present that was a passing wizard. The only problem was that only those that had played with him before we're looking for his fastball passing. Many passes hit an unready recipient in the back of his head. Morton is that kind of passer. Given a healthy off season for his teammates to adjust he will make them all better.
When Larry Bird started playing at Indiana State they said exactly the same thing. His passing was so sneky that his teammates didn't know they were coming. Rather than looking up at the basket to prepare to rebound his shot, they learned the hard way to keep looking at him and watch for a pass. (He usually made his shot anyway, so no need for a rebound.)

I also suspect that Gillis has been preparing, and will continue to prepare, playing at the 3. He compares favorably to Vince Edwards and Todd Mitchell. Painter loves guys who can play more than one position.

After watching the last few games I concluded that Hunter for sure starts alongside Ivey in the backcourt next year, Newman, Gillis, Williams probably round it out early on. Kaufman, Sasha, Furst, Edey play major minutes. I have high hopes that Morton rounds out the deepest Purdue team in years, Thompson will play spot minutes hitting the occasional big 3. I hope both Wheels and Dow return, one never knows, one might contribute when we least expect it, still think odds are both leave, especially Wheeler, he probably could get big minutes at a smaller school like Indiana State/Drake etc.

Furst has a little more range than TJD, but isn’t a stretch 4 by any means. He is more of a 5 in college. Kaufman will be the 4 next to Williams, unless Gillis holds him off. There is no way of telling who is correct until next November, so not really anything to get too worked up about.

Right about that, but damn sure wrong about Furst. ;) Not a stretch 4 (thank god) but he'll win Matt's heart and trust. Old school 4 (that shoots just fine) will work very well with Zack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT