ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lineup?

I haven't seen Kaufman personally, so I can't say.
I just see what Furst has and what this team needs/will need and it's a pretty tight fit. ;)
If you think Kaufman will start because he's better offensively, I'd say I think you're wrong. Not that he's not better offensively, but that Furst will do all the other things too well to ignore.
Ive seen them both many times. Kaufman is the better offensive player and more athletic. Kaufman is a better fit to play the 4 as Furst is more of a 5.

I could see Furst or Edey redshirting.

Ive seen them both many times. Kaufman is the better offensive player and more athletic. Kaufman is a better fit to play the 4 as Furst is more of a 5.

Wow, no way! You redshirt a guy that cant' help you now. That needs to get stronger or better to be a rotation player.
BOTH guys are rotation (if not starter) players.
Furst is a college (and "maybe" pro) 4 that can play 5.
Edey has already shown his potential, no way in hell are they shirting him after what he's shown this year.
TW will be gone after next year so why the heck would you mothball the guy that's going to be starting the following year? ( you don't)
Furst gives us more size and toughness up front. Mason and Trevian doing outstanding job, but 6'6" and 6'9" not real big these days.
We've got enough shooters now that more isn't going to change anything significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Wow, no way!
Edey has already shown his potential, no way in hell are they shirting him after what he's shown this year.
TW will be gone after next year so why the heck would you mothball the guy that's going to be starting the following year? ( you don't)
Furst gives us more size and toughness up front. Mason and Trevian doing outstanding job, but 6'6" and 6'9" not real big these days.
We've got enough shooters now that more isn't going to change anything significantly.
Furst is not a college or pro 4. His game is closer to TJD, and TJD isn’t a college 4. You can’t have Williams and Furst on the floor together since neither one can shoot. CMP’s offense is 4 out 1 in.

I believe Furst will be the starting 5 when Tre leaves, not Edey. Someone on the frontline will need to redshirt, or there are going to be some unhappy players.

Wow, no way! You redshirt a guy that cant' help you now. That needs to get stronger or better to be a rotation player.
BOTH guys are rotation (if not starter) players.
Agree with the post, especially with the Williams part, next year is it for him, he's getting paid in some pro league after next season.

Furst is not a college or pro 4. His game is closer to TJD, and TJD isn’t a college 4. You can’t have Williams and Furst on the floor together since neither one can shoot. CMP’s offense is 4 out 1 in.

I believe Furst will be the starting 5 when Tre leaves, not Edey. Someone on the frontline will need to redshirt, or there are going to be some unhappy players.
Furst consistently hits from 15 feet out and talked about how extending his range has been a priority. TJD can shoot from 5 feet out with his left hand, and 0 feet with his right. They do have similar size though as 4/5 combos with TJD being more athletic.

Even if Furst's 3 point shooting isn't great next year he will be able to play. Wheeler hasn't shot the 3 well but can still make a difference with hustle plays and passing. Shooting the 3 from the 4 spot is helpful but not mandatory and Painter will scheme for it.

I do think Furst will be stuck in a logjam at the 4 spot next year, but will be able to play some 5 if there's foul trouble. His Sophomore year will be his breakout season as he will split time at the 5 with Edey. He is big enough to hang down low and if someone is pushing him around, Zach will come in and beat them up a bit.

Furst consistently hits from 15 feet out and talked about how extending his range has been a priority. TJD can shoot from 5 feet out with his left hand, and 0 feet with his right. They do have similar size though as 4/5 combos with TJD being more athletic.

Even if Furst's 3 point shooting isn't great next year he will be able to play. Wheeler hasn't shot the 3 well but can still make a difference with hustle plays and passing. Shooting the 3 from the 4 spot is helpful but not mandatory and Painter will scheme for it.

I do think Furst will be stuck in a logjam at the 4 spot next year, but will be able to play some 5 if there's foul trouble. His Sophomore year will be his breakout season as he will split time at the 5 with Edey. He is big enough to hang down low and if someone is pushing him around, Zach will come in and beat them up a bit.
So you are essentially saying the same thing I am.

Ivey certainly has the highest upside but at this point Ivey is loosing minutes to Thompson. IT played 26 minutes yesterday and Ivey 18. There are plenty of minutes for 4 guards so I don't think its worth debating who the top 3 are. The problem Ivey has he needs to show Painter that he clearly deserves more minutes than Thompson and Morton. When that time comes, the minutes will take care of themselves.

I do agree that if Purdue is going to be as good as we hope they can be next year the lions share of the minutes at the 1,2 and 3 need to go to Newman, Ivey, Sasha and Hunter.

I think Painter is learning as a coach, that with a player like Ivey or Carsen, you have to be willing to accept the pull up 26 footer and not worry about it because on the next trip down, the guy can make a great drive and get an and-1.
Carsen, and I believe Ivey, are unique players. They have the ability to do things no one else on the team can do. As a coach, you have to give these guys a really long leash, not discourage their creativity or aggressiveness and just let them work through some questionable decision-making because they're also the type who can go get you the winning bucket in crunch time.

Have you seen a real game with him? Not close to TJD in ANY way at all.

I think Painter is learning as a coach, that with a player like Ivey or Carsen, you have to be willing to accept the pull up 26 footer and not worry about it because on the next trip down, the guy can make a great drive and get an and-1.
Carsen, and I believe Ivey, are unique players. They have the ability to do things no one else on the team can do. As a coach, you have to give these guys a really long leash, not discourage their creativity or aggressiveness and just let them work through some questionable decision-making because they're also the type who can go get you the winning bucket in crunch time.

Yes. And no.
I think he's doing a pretty fine job balancing that.
And I think you saw the other side with IT getting more minutes than him last game.
Accountability is ALWAYS a thing. Letting a guy slide on the P's and Q's because he can get his own shot off is just a really bad idea for "TEAM".
Matt won't do that as much as some. (thank god)

Yes. And no.
I think he's doing a pretty fine job balancing that.
And I think you saw the other side with IT getting more minutes than him last game.
Accountability is ALWAYS a thing. Letting a guy slide on the P's and Q's because he can get his own shot off is just a really bad idea for "TEAM".
Matt won't do that as much as some. (thank god)

I disagree. IT is the 'safe' play, you know what you're going to get from him and you know he's not going to step outside his abilities or talent level.

But with Ivey, (or Carsen), they have such a wide range of talents and high ceiling, you could get a turnover, a bad decision on a 3 pointer or a dribble penetrate n dish or a one on one iso to breakdown the D and finish with an and-1.
I think to some extent, Keady, and maybe Painter (earlier in his coaching career) were more likely to pull a guy for make a bad decision. I think that hurt recruiting and also inhibited some guys from playing to not make mistakes.
Now granted, you have to be extremely talented to get that time of freedom and leash and the players who don't understand that also.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr

CMP did'nt offer nor did Furst or Kauffman ...both top 50 players ..come to PU to redshirt.I'm assuming you've never seen Furst in person..he can fit into the 4 or 5 easily and Kauffman 3 or 4 easily and no way does Edey redshirt

There is absolutely ZERO chance Ivey won't be starting next year. It may come at the expense of Hunter, or maybe Sasha. But I would bet my left nut Ivey will be in the starting lineup...
Ivy, Hunter & Newman are all going to be starting next year. Sasha would be odd man out & may be even when he comes back this year. Don't get me wrong, he will play a ton, but no way Hunter & Ivy are not starting. Hunter is lock down on D.

CMP did'nt offer nor did Furst or Kauffman ...both top 50 players ..come to PU to redshirt.I'm assuming you've never seen Furst in person..he can fit into the 4 or 5 easily and Kauffman 3 or 4 easily and no way does Edey redshirt
Exactly... neither will redshirt, both have a chance to be our best players... I think both will play a ton & I could see Gillis coming off the bench next year (I don't think it would bother him as he will still play alot). Edy would redshirt before Furst or Kauffman. All is going to depend on if Tre comes back or not.

If no redshirts, there will be quite a few unhappy players at the 4/5. I don’t expect Kaufman to get much time at the 3 next year. We have 6 guards on the roster, and I don’t think Kaufman is capable of guarding an opposing team’s guard as a freshman.

If no redshirts, there will be quite a few unhappy players at the 4/5. I don’t expect Kaufman to get much time at the 3 next year. We have 6 guards on the roster, and I don’t think Kaufman is capable of guarding an opposing team’s guard as a freshman.
Not really, if Tre comes back, he's would be better with less minutes. I could see Tre, Kaufman, Gillis & Furst all getting 20 minutes. Edy would be best to redshirt... & I don't see Wheeler playing at all.

Not really, if Tre comes back, he's would be better with less minutes. I could see Tre, Kaufman, Gillis & Furst all getting 20 minutes. Edy would be best to redshirt... & I don't see Wheeler playing at all.
Why would we want our best player to get less minutes? If anything I hope/expect Tre’s numbers to increase.

Reactions: northside100
Exactly... neither will redshirt, both have a chance to be our best players... I think both will play a ton & I could see Gillis coming off the bench next year (I don't think it would bother him as he will still play alot). Edy would redshirt before Furst or Kauffman. All is going to depend on if Tre comes back or not.
You might be right , but Gillis isn't going to take a back seat to a freshman thats never played one minute of B1G..I see both freshman coming in for spot minutes..Wheeler's minutes up for grabs for either freshman..Furst can play 5 ..for spot minutes if we wanted to go small..and Kauffman spot minutes at 4 or 3 behind Newman or Sasha. You hit the key ...IF Williams comes back..thats really the key to how much minutes the freshmen play

Why would we want our best player to get less minutes? If anything I hope/expect Tre’s numbers to increase.
Tre was always more effective with less minutes... not to mention he's usually in foul trouble & end of game free throw shooting. I know he logs alot of minutes now when he's not in foul trouble, but only because there are alot of games when Edy is out matched. I love Edy also, but I do think he needs to get stronger & a redshirt year would help him. Of course if Tre leaves, all bets are off.

Why do you assume there will be unhappy players? WE all realize there is only one basketball to go around but its a good puzzle to figure out. Kauffman will get a chance at both 3 and 4...Furst same thing at 4 and 5..both in very limited roles unless they prove otherwise..and that would be a GREAT problem to deal with

Tre was always more effective with less minutes... not to mention he's usually in foul trouble & end of game free throw shooting. I know he logs alot of minutes now when he's not in foul trouble, but only because there are alot of games when Edy is out matched. I love Edy also, but I do think he needs to get stronger & a redshirt year would help him. Of course if Tre leaves, all bets are off.
Tre has never played more minutes than he is right now, and he has also never played better than he is right now. We need Tre on the court as much as possible.

Reactions: Schnelk
You might be right , but Gillis isn't going to take a back seat to a freshman thats never played one minute of B1G..I see both freshman coming in for spot minutes..Wheeler's minutes up for grabs for either freshman..Furst can play 5 ..for spot minutes if we wanted to go small..and Kauffman spot minutes at 4 or 3 behind Newman or Sasha. You hit the key ...IF Williams comes back..thats really the key to how much minutes the freshmen play
Furst & Kauffman may be 2 of CMP's best recruits ever. To say they will get "spot minutes" is crazy. Have you seen either play? Furst could start for us this year if here. I love Gillis, don't get me wrong. I was the one that said he would be starting this season over Wheeler last year. Gillis is going to get his 20+ min. a game. I just don't think he has that much of an ego that it would bother him if he came off the bench. He definately deserves to be starting, but If Kaufman & Furst aren't starting next year, CMP will have a difficult time recruiting players of there level in the future. Both are that good & yes, I've seen them.

Why do you assume there will be unhappy players? WE all realize there is only one basketball to go around but its a good puzzle to figure out. Kauffman will get a chance at both 3 and 4...Furst same thing at 4 and 5..both in very limited roles unless they prove otherwise..and that would be a GREAT problem to deal with
There are 200 available minutes in a game. Give me your breakdown of minutes for each player next year. This exercise will show you there will be unhappy players. Top 50 recruits don’t expect a limited role in year 1.

Reactions: KingofJersey
You've already stated you haven't seen Kauffman play ...so what do you base that analysis on?

You've already stated you haven't seen Kauffman play ...so what do you base that analysis on?
Now you are just making crap up. I stated that I had seen both Kaufman and Furst play many times. Kaufman at least 10 times in the last year and a half. Furst only around 6 times.

Over the past 15 seasons, what makes you think Coach Matthew C. Painter would redshirt his 7'4 sophomore, former Frosh of the Week, who plays perfectly in his system, in favor of an untested, albeit talented, freshman?

Neither of them will be shirted even if Furst gets a little more than Ethan Morton like minutes.

Trey will be Gillis' backup, and Wheeler will grad transfer or get 2-3 minutes a game.

Kaufman and Furst will definitely get minutes and it is going to be a great learning experience for both of them. It takes a while to learn the pace of the college game. Neither one will have to be "the man" at their positions. Great problems to have!

There are 200 available minutes in a game. Give me your breakdown of minutes for each player next year. This exercise will show you there will be unhappy players. Top 50 recruits don’t expect a limited role in year 1.

They might not expect a limited role...

Over the past 15 seasons, what makes you think Coach Matthew C. Painter would redshirt his 7'4 sophomore, former Frosh of the Week, who plays perfectly in his system, in favor of an untested, albeit talented, freshman?

Neither of them will be shirted even if Furst gets a little more than Ethan Morton like minutes.

Trey will be Gillis' backup, and Wheeler will grad transfer or get 2-3 minutes a game.
Go look at what Edey has accomplished in conference vs what he did in non conference. The more he was scouted the more teams took him away.

Furst & Kauffman may be 2 of CMP's best recruits ever. To say they will get "spot minutes" is crazy. Have you seen either play? Furst could start for us this year if here. I love Gillis, don't get me wrong. I was the one that said he would be starting this season over Wheeler last year. Gillis is going to get his 20+ min. a game. I just don't think he has that much of an ego that it would bother him if he came off the bench. He definately deserves to be starting, but If Kaufman & Furst aren't starting next year, CMP will have a difficult time recruiting players of there level in the future. Both are that good & yes, I've seen them.
Ive seen Furst and i know their asst Coach at Blackhawk..But Furst isn.t here NOW..its next year..had it been this year..he might have backed up Tre and we could have afforded to redshirt Edey...You could be very much right in Gillis splitting time, but that maybe between Furst or Kauffman or both ..I dont have a crystal ball. For Furst to start THIS year...he'd have to grow into the 4 and develop ..thats something he's working on now

Now you are just making crap up. I stated that I had seen both Kaufman and Furst play many times. Kaufman at least 10 times in the last year and a half. Furst only around 6 times.
I apoligize..I was looking at a quote you were replying to! No hard feelings ..carry on...

I apoligize..I was looking at a quote you were replying to! No hard feelings ..carry on...
So now provide your minutes breakdown for next year. At least 3 of the 13 players will transfer or receive 0 minutes. Another will likely be getting Morton minutes.

I think your right on most top 50..but it depends on what CMP promised them for starters...and almost all top 50 aren't PU fits to start with..I'm sure though CMP promised they would get the opportunity and if you can defend you'll get even more opportunity

I think there is a chance Edy would have redshirted this year, but NCAA made that a no decision since everyone gets a free year. Kauffman & Furst are good, both will play alot & I'll be shocked if they're not starting. Both are way better this year than Edy. I love Edy & his size, but he needs strength & a red shirt year would help him. I don't see Furst or Kauffman either being a 4 year player. They will both leave early for NBA because they both have the game for that (outside range & can play under the basket). I'm guessing we don't have either for more than 3 years, maybe 2. Gillis is a 4 & Trey already said he want to play the 3. I do agree about Wheeler.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
So now provide your minutes breakdown for next year. At least 3 of the 13 players will transfer or receive 0 minutes. Another will likely be getting Morton minutes.
Seems like an exercise in futility until the highschoolers actually come in and play..but knowing CMP's MO he'll start Tre,Gillis, Newman, Hunter,and Ivey to start out the season and let the players figure out their minutes and roles.

I think there is a chance Edy would have redshirted this year, but NCAA made that a no decision since everyone gets a free year. Kauffman & Furst are good, both will play alot & I'll be shocked if they're not starting. Both are way better this year than Edy. I love Edy & his size, but he needs strength & a red shirt year would help him. I don't see Furst or Kauffman either being a 4 year player. They will both leave early for NBA because they both have the game for that (outside range & can play under the basket). I'm guessing we don't have either for more than 3 years, maybe 2. Gillis is a 4 & Trey already said he want to play the 3. I do agree about Wheeler.
Not out of the realm of being possible for sure

Seems like an exercise in futility until the highschoolers actually come in and play..but knowing CMP's MO he'll start Tre,Gillis, Newman, Hunter,and Ivey to start out the season and let the players figure out their minutes and roles.
I think it’s a good exercise to allow realistic expectations (ie. Not everyone can play 20+ min). Just as a mock breakdown to give a visual, I’ll provide my guess.

Starters:

Ivey - 25
Newman - 25
Sasha - 25
Kaufman - 20
Williams - 25

Reserves:

Hunter - 25
Gillis - 20
Furst - 15
IT - 15
Edey - 5

Likely not a factor (0 minutes)

Wheeler
Morton
Dow

I remember the Duke glory days of Laettner, Grant etc...Coach K consistantly played 11,12,13 every game..somehow he figured out the PT and kept players motivated...seems to me CMP is every bit as smart and capable if its required. Key will be if Williams stays..if he leaves,it opens up the minutes and log jam...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT