ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lineup?

Notice Hunter wasn't handling the ball at the end of the Ohio State game and Ivey was? I'd say it's more likely him being the odd man out if he doesn't step it up in the off-season...
Good point, that would be my second guess, I think the first game of the season it's the 3 Sr's and Ivey and Newman, really fun to talk about lol.

It's early, but Morton hasn't shown he's ready to play at this level yet.

I don't know the stats like others but I thought Morton is one of the highest-ranked guards we've had in years. He is behind because he got sick at the worst possible time. However, from my personal observations, he seems to be a very good ball-handler who spots the open man and keeps the ball moving. I would like to see more of him and hopefully, we will soon.

I thought about that as well and I agree to some extent but the situation your describing is similar to the situation Ivey is in this year. Purdue had three solid guards in the backcourt before Ivey arrived. I think most believe Ivey is the most exciting of the four, however, due to his inexperience he's been prone to making poor decision (shot selection). As a result he hasn't been any more productive than our veteran players. I think what makes it tough for Painter is to find the right balance because the production between the four is only marginally different and he needs to keep everyone happy. Keep in mind Ivey and Newman are basically playing the same position and they were both ranked about the same coming out of high school (79 Vs 85).

With the "bigs" its a little different. Despite some doubters at the beginning of the year Williams is by far our best player in the front court (on the team for that matter), so he'll get his 25 minutes. That basically leaves 55 minutes for Edey, Wheeler, Furst, Kaufman, Gillis and Dow. The question is who gets those minutes? My thought is that if your a top 50 guy you should be able to earn a good chunk of those minutes. I trust Painter to figure it out but if I was going to speculate.....

Trey/Furst split the minutes at the 5 and Gillis/Kaufman play the 4. Edey could either redshirt or play spot minutes. I love Edey's potential and Painter is going to need to figure out how to keep him happy. We're probably going to need him after Trey leaves. He has had some success this year so it may not be easy to get him to accept a lesser role but that's why Painter gets the big bucks. My guess is that Wheeler and Dow will be the odd men out.

For those of you who think Kaufman could play some three that really doesn't solve anything because there is already strong competition for the minutes at the 2 and 3. Kaufman playing minutes at the three would put significant pressure on Sasha's, Ivey's and Newman's minutes.
Good points. I would add to your comments about Kaufman playing the 3 -- he has not played that position. According to Kaufman, Painter offered to help him to develop at the position, and he saw that Purdue will have plenty of help at the 4-5 positions to allow it to happen. Painter used the development of Vince Edwards as an example. I don't think Kaufman expects to start at the 3 in games from day 1. But who knows? We have been surprised at how far along players are and how fast they develop before.

I don't know the stats like others but I thought Morton is one of the highest-ranked guards we've had in years. He is behind because he got sick at the worst possible time. However, from my personal observations, he seems to be a very good ball-handler who spots the open man and keeps the ball moving. I would like to see more of him and hopefully, we will soon.
I agree. And getting Morton may have opened up recruiting in that region, helping Purdue get a commitment from Jameel Brown and being a finalist for other players.

We also don't know how high Gillis' rating would have climbed had he played his senior year in high school. He was a 4-star whose rating was climbing. Who's to say that he would not have been a Top 50 player? As a freshman who hasn't played a game in more that 2 years, he has made a big impact on Purdue's season in the toughest conference in the nation. But Painter doesn't really care about player rankings. He puts his teams together based on how hard they practice and play, and how well they blend as a team.

I agree. And getting Morton may have opened up recruiting in that region, helping Purdue get a commitment from Jameel Brown and being a finalist for other players.

We also don't know how high Gillis' rating would have climbed had he played his senior year in high school. He was a 4-star whose rating was climbing. Who's to say that he would not have been a Top 50 player? As a freshman who hasn't played a game in more that 2 years, he has made a big impact on Purdue's season in the toughest conference in the nation. But Painter doesn't really care about player rankings. He puts his teams together based on how hard they practice and play, and how well they blend as a team.
That's why trying to predict a Purdue starting line is a fun thing to do on a frigid day in the region lol. This year to me is a nice Kickstart, hopefully get a tourney birth and win a game or two, next year I'd expect a top 3 Big Ten and at the least a sweat 16.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That's why trying to predict a Purdue starting line is a fun thing to do on a frigid day in the region lol. This year to me is a nice Kickstart, hopefully get a tourney birth and win a game or two, next year I'd expect a top 3 Big Ten and at the least a sweat 16.

typo or Boileroidian slip?.....for some of us "old timers," every Purdue round in the NCAA tournament is a "sweat." :)

I tend to agree with a good part of your characterization.....patience as the team is building momentum this year....looking good for when the puzzle comes more into view.

Good points. I would add to your comments about Kaufman playing the 3 -- he has not played that position. According to Kaufman, Painter offered to help him to develop at the position, and he saw that Purdue will have plenty of help at the 4-5 positions to allow it to happen. Painter used the development of Vince Edwards as an example. I don't think Kaufman expects to start at the 3 in games from day 1. But who knows? We have been surprised at how far along players are and how fast they develop before.
I think fans misunderstand what Painter's recruiting pitch to Trey was. I'm no inside source, but I think it's far more likely that Painter offered him the chance to play 3 rather than to play AT the 3. It's nitpicky but most successful college teams run 3 guards with a SF and C or 3 guards with two PF's. Telling Trey he can play at Purdue's 3 spot would essentially be telling him there will be two guys bigger than him on the floor with him and I don't see how that would succeed from a spacing standpoint.

We have Trevion to lock down everything inside, so what I imagine Painter told Trey is he can play on the wing and facilitate from the three point line like a normal SF, rather than post up or take spot up 3 point shots like our 4 position does currently. There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding this idea because college is traditionally about point guards or bigs, and most of the great college players are one or the other. Players with a combination of size/athleticism and guard skills don't usually stay in college for too long, so they are less recognized by college fans that don't also follow the NBA.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I think it's zero chance but more because it will hinder the offense.
Painter has two slashers/finishers in Ivey and Newman. You take away their effectiveness if you have two bigs clogging up the lane.
Now, if Edey or Tre could develop a consistent, reliable jumper for the pick n pop, then those guys become even more impactful because the other teams big will have to cover the high screen, clearing the lane for penetration.

Tre passing out of the high post could well be our best offensive set given out lack of pgs.
Worked awfully well with Biggie there. But he's not a good 15' at this point.
Zack shows nice form and touch on free throws. No reason mid range won't be part of his game.
But I think Furst and Gillis will be important enough that we want them in the game as much as possible, so probably won't happen. Hopefully Kaufman can play 3 or we've got a log jam up front.

I am really high on Furst. I am not sure he’s good enough to play 4/PF next year, but I think he’s going to be better than Edey. I think some room clears out for him once Tre graduates.

Ivey is very good too. He just seems to need more time to develop, which is understandable. I like his ability to slash, but his 3 point shot isn’t there yet.

In what way are you questioning his ability to play 4 next year? It's WHAT he IS. He's a fine center in high school, but he's 6'9" and not Trevion wide bodied. (But a rock hard 240) He has some nice post skills. So did Kenneth Lowe. He wasn't a center either. He can play it, but he can also be more.
LAST year he looked like a center. He was still growing into that BIG body (wait till you see this kid in person) and a bit plodding and mechanical, especially against big time players with quickness.
Well, that's changed in the past year and he now moves much quicker and more gracefully. He's increased his vertical noticeably and dunks with ease from flat footed. He can shoot the jumper just fine (very good free throw shooter) but when you are THE big man on a small team you don't want him out of the paint, so it's not on frequent display. He's got a Big 10 body RIGHT NOW and the feet to play a position of need.
Ya'll gonna like this kid. But not as much as Zack and Tre are gonna. :)

No he hasn't, might be a player that is a role player until Jr&SR year, might always be just that, Purdue needs those guys, I think Gillis might be another.

I see a freshman playing an increasingly important role as he gets minutes and continues to produce. He's made a difference since he's gotten minutes and is starting to look like a real keeper with a high ceiling as a very important cog
What role are you seeing?

Reactions: jindy
In what way are you questioning his ability to play 4 next year? It's WHAT he IS. He's a fine center in high school, but he's 6'9" and not Trevion wide bodied. (But a rock hard 240) He has some nice post skills. So did Kenneth Lowe. He wasn't a center either. He can play it, but he can also be more.
LAST year he looked like a center. He was still growing into that BIG body (wait till you see this kid in person) and a bit plodding and mechanical, especially against big time players with quickness.
Well, that's changed in the past year and he now moves much quicker and more gracefully. He's increased his vertical noticeably and dunks with ease from flat footed. He can shoot the jumper just fine (very good free throw shooter) but when you are THE big man on a small team you don't want him out of the paint, so it's not on frequent display. He's got a Big 10 body RIGHT NOW and the feet to play a position of need.

Well, Outside shot mostly. I have only seen clips and haven’t seen him play. I haven’t seen a full game. I think he’s going to be really good. I think he’s going to be All Big10.

My take is he’s got a game like TJD. Furst has more range. TJD probably a bit more athletic. But both play close to the basket. Am I off base?

I've watched just about every game and all of Morton's minutes. I actually thought he looked good against Clemson when IT couldn't bring the ball up the court against their press and Morton could. Since then though, I haven't seen Morton do much to indicate his high recruit ranking. Sure, he hit a 3 vs iu, but that should be the minimum of what he's able to do.
He seems to be playing a little tentative and not trying to make mistakes as opposed to trying to make things happen.
Ivey is the exact opposite.

When I see Furst I think of a bigger version of forward Matt Howard who, as an undersized center, helped take Butler to 2 National Championship games. As you said, Furst is skilled and strong. He's also athletic, gives 100% effort, and doesn't take any plays off.

When I see Furst I think of a bigger version of forward Matt Howard who, as an undersized center, helped take Butler to 2 National Championship games. As you said, Furst is skilled and strong. He's also athletic, gives 100% effort, and doesn't take any plays off.

Luke Harangody of Notre Dame, perhaps as well? Around that same time, too.

I really think Matt Howard was worth much, much more to Butler than Harangody was to ND.

That kid was an absolute workhorse.
Matt Howard was a stud. Would Purdue have been better off if he had committed before "the other guy" did?

Matt Howard from Wikipedia:
He is a three-time Academic All-American and the 2011 Men's Basketball Academic All-America of the Year as well as the 2009 Horizon League Men's Basketball Player of the Year. He was a 2009 All-American honorable mention by the Associated Press. He was the 2010 and 2011 Horizon League Men's Basketball Tournament MVP as well as a four-time Horizon League Men's Basketball Tournament All-Tournament selection. He won the 2011 Lou Henson Award as well as the 2010 & 2011 Elite 88 Awards. He is the Horizon League record-holder for career free throws made and attempted.

The division of minutes will be interesting. I don't recall a year in which such highly regarded recruits were brought into a Purdue team with such a mix of talent, experience, and depth. Painter could literally redshirt both Kaufman and Furst (he won't) and still field a really good team.

Reactions: Purdue85
There is absolutely ZERO chance Ivey won't be starting next year. It may come at the expense of Hunter, or maybe Sasha. But I would bet my left nut Ivey will be in the starting lineup...
I’m not making any nut bets. Ivey could very well start or be a guy that provides instant offense off the bench for 20 mpg. Newman could be our best all around guard. Sasha is our best shooter. Hunter might be the only one that resembles a starting point guard.

Well, Outside shot mostly. I have only seen clips and haven’t seen him play. I haven’t seen a full game. I think he’s going to be really good. I think he’s going to be All Big10.

My take is he’s got a game like TJD. Furst has more range. TJD probably a bit more athletic. But both play close to the basket. Am I off base?

No, that's a decent assessment. TJD does it with quicks, CF with power. But again, CF CAN shoot the mid range jumper just fine. AAU showed more of that. His HS team needs him in the paint and as he's very coachable, he does that. Not sure where the range stops or how many we want him shooting with all the shooters we've got (in the paint, REBOUND..... the end) but he'll be fine. I think he starts by tourney time, but hard to predict where Gillis, Kaufman, etc end up as I expect them to improve too and not roll over. Right now if he was here I think he'd be the starter from day 1 on this team.

Reactions: ehuffma1
No, that's a decent assessment. TJD does it with quicks, CF with power. But again, CF CAN shoot the mid range jumper just fine. AAU showed more of that. His HS team needs him in the paint and as he's very coachable, he does that. Not sure where the range stops or how many we want him shooting with all the shooters we've got (in the paint, REBOUND..... the end) but he'll be fine. I think he starts by tourney time, but hard to predict where Gillis, Kaufman, etc end up as I expect them to improve too and not roll over. Right now if he was here I think he'd be the starter from day 1 on this team.
I can’t see him starting over Kaufman.

There is absolutely ZERO chance Ivey won't be starting next year. It may come at the expense of Hunter, or maybe Sasha. But I would bet my left nut Ivey will be in the starting lineup...

Just not sure how you bench Sasha or Hunter during their senior year if both are healthy. Could see Ivey lead all guards in scoring as the 6th man

Reactions: Russ Ford
You may want to put some conditions on that bet (he has to be on the team, healthy, no injury, eligible). We take our sports seriously on this board and when you make a wager, we hold you to it.

After tonights game, new lineup for next year, Williams, Gillis, Sasha, Newman, Ivey...Hunter, Kaufman, Edie, Furst in the 9 man rotation, Morton, Thompson, Wheeler going to have to battle for minutes, possibly the deepest Purdue team ever???

Reactions: GregJM24
Just not sure how you bench Sasha or Hunter during their senior year if both are healthy. Could see Ivey lead all guards in scoring as the 6th man
What's being a senior have to do with anything? If there are better players that deserve to play, then Sasha or Hunter won't play. We aren't passing out participation awards here. We're trying to win championships.

What's being a senior have to do with anything? If there are better players that deserve to play, then Sasha or Hunter won't play. We aren't passing out participation awards here. We're trying to win championships.
Here's the question. What is it that makes them "desrve to play"?

Reactions: GregJM24 and jindy
Ethan Happ, but with some shooting range?

Here's the question. What is it that makes them "desrve to play"?

Ivey certainly has the highest upside but at this point Ivey is loosing minutes to Thompson. IT played 26 minutes yesterday and Ivey 18. There are plenty of minutes for 4 guards so I don't think its worth debating who the top 3 are. The problem Ivey has he needs to show Painter that he clearly deserves more minutes than Thompson and Morton. When that time comes, the minutes will take care of themselves.

I do agree that if Purdue is going to be as good as we hope they can be next year the lions share of the minutes at the 1,2 and 3 need to go to Newman, Ivey, Sasha and Hunter.

I think Morton and Thompson will battle this offseason to see who is better at getting the ball over half court when there's pressure. Our biggest weakness is teams applying a lot of pressure, so having another true PG to get the ball into the offense without any mistakes will be helpful. Also for end of game situations, free throws will be important for whichever one of those two claims the backup PG spot

I'd be very surprised if Ivey and Newman don't both start. They give the offense some many different options, are a major upgrade in athleticism over SS and EH.
Although, it's tough to keep one of the B10 best 3 pt shooters off the court.
Odd men out might be Morton and possibly Gillis. I don't think IT is going anywhere because of his low ceiling, his brother and just happy to be at PU.
Thompson played 26 minutes last night. Evidently Painter likes him more than you do.

Reactions: DAG10
Matt Howard was a stud. Would Purdue have been better off if he had committed before "the other guy" did?

Matt Howard from Wikipedia:
He is a three-time Academic All-American and the 2011 Men's Basketball Academic All-America of the Year as well as the 2009 Horizon League Men's Basketball Player of the Year. He was a 2009 All-American honorable mention by the Associated Press. He was the 2010 and 2011 Horizon League Men's Basketball Tournament MVP as well as a four-time Horizon League Men's Basketball Tournament All-Tournament selection. He won the 2011 Lou Henson Award as well as the 2010 & 2011 Elite 88 Awards. He is the Horizon League record-holder for career free throws made and attempted.

Yes - One of our very close calls to maybe final 4. Coulda shoulda woulda. Especially after Robbies knee.

Last edited:
I can’t see him starting over Kaufman.
I haven't seen Kaufman personally, so I can't say.
I just see what Furst has and what this team needs/will need and it's a pretty tight fit. ;)
If you think Kaufman will start because he's better offensively, I'd say I think you're wrong. Not that he's not better offensively, but that Furst will do all the other things too well to ignore.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT