ADVERTISEMENT

Newman...

I’ve always seen Newman as a bulk shooter too. A guy who if he gets hot can absolutely take over a game but also a guy who’s not going to do well getting 0-5 shots a game. Basically thought by this point in his career Purdue would be running the offense through him.

I think we need less Morton and more DJJ and Newman in the tourneys. Can get away with a few boneheaded mistakes if we are scoring like we should!
If Newman continues to play D like he has the past few games, his offensive capability on top of that should earn him the start and more playing time. IMHO, he's bringing more energy to the team. And this is from a guy who's been defending Morton's playing time all season...

The 2nd half defense might get him back in the dog house even with the way he played in the first half. I think painter should have called an earlier time out. We came out shooting too many threes in the 2nd half. Edey needed to be more of a presence.
We needed to go smaller in the 2nd half. Edey was making terrible decisions forcing shots on double teams. Then on top of it, him trying to guard Hawkins was laughable.

“I mean, don't you know Brandon Newman is the reason Purdue isn't 31-0 rather than 26-5? “

Funny stuff.

It's also okay to acknowledge that coaches are human beings and have flaws too.
Oh Painter does have flaws and admits them. On this he does not believe so, but made the switch from what he sees from Newman and Morton that nobody on this board knows, because they don’t see them in practice or have any relationship with the players. I hope Newman takes this chance and helps lead Purdue to the FF.

I like Morton a lot. His defense is great. But you're completely wrong in your analysis of Newman in yesterday's game. Without him out there, we lose handily.

How many steals for layups did he make yesterday?

Who else hit 3 pointers?

I notice you want to remind everyone of the bad decisions he made. But there were a lot of bad decisions made by Zach, Gillis, and several others that nearly cost us the game in the 2nd half. Why aren't you focused on those bad decisions?

Right now, I'd rather have Newman, with the energy he's been bringing, in the game ahead of Gillis, Morton, and maybe even Loyer. He's not playing scared. And his defense has been pretty rock solid.
We need his toughness on the boards playing defense and hitting shots let’s see what happens in the BTT? I would keep him in the starting rotation

I
Come on man, he did his thing but it's not enough. Painter understands it and made the change.

Newman had three steals and took their best player out of the game for the entire first half. Add 19 points 6 boards and 5 assists and you have a great game.

I'd go as far as to say this, I doubt Purdue wins if Morton started yesterday. Loyer and Edey were off and Purdue needed offense. Never would have gotten anything remotely close from Morton on the offensive side of the ball as we got from Newman.
I agree with your point that if others outside of Zach are not scoring, which includes Loyer, Braden and some production from the four, it's really tough to play Ethan for big minutes. If the rest of the team has it going Ethan is an almost perfect compliment.

Agree 100%. And not that you need any unsolicited advice but as you know (or does anyone who has been on these boards long enough and you clearly have) just about every year there seems to be posters whose suggestions go *ahem* a bit beyond constructively critical. Which is fine, whatever. I'm no mod and would never want to be one.

But for whatever reasons, said posters will decide on one player (often a role player or back-up, "glue guy", etc, which is puzzling but also a bit comical IMO) and will often decide that particular player is what is basically holding Purdue back.

Last week, the poster you are replying to wrote this:

"Hoping Loyer, Smith and Gillis break out and hit threes. Newman? Ok but he is 8-25 in last 6, 32% ok, but not special."

Interesting that Loyer's or hell, anyone's, percentages were not included (I included them in my reply) during the then 6 game rough patch (was prior to the Wisky game that night). He didn't stop there. Read last Thur's Wisky game thread if curious.

Edit: here were the shooting % prior to last Thurs Wisky game when we saw Newman inserted and -some of us had been pining for a line-up shake up:

Loyer 6-28, 21%
Morton 5-16 for 31%
Gillis 6-18 for 33%
Smith 6-15 for 40%
Furst 2-7 for 29%
Jenkins 4-16 for 25%

But Newman? His 32% was deemed, "ok but nothing special."

Bizarre!

I mean, don't you know Brandon Newman is the reason Purdue isn't 31-0 rather than 26-5?

wink-doc-holliday.gif
I agree and disagree,

Last week Purdue was in a slump. We'd lost 4 out of 6 games. It wasn't due to any one player and Morton was doing what he's done all year. In my opinion with Morton it's always been a low risk, low reward type situation. He doesn't really do anything wrong on the offensive end but he doesn't necessarily add anything either.

That was okay when Loyer, Smith, Furst and even Gillis were hitting their shots on a consistent basis. The problem is when the other guys are struggling, it exaggerates Morton's shortcomings. We need scoring from the guard position. It needs to come from somewhere, History would indicate its not going to come from Morton. I believe that's why fans were looking for a change late in the season.

IMO Newman is the higher risk, higher reward player. He's going to make mistakes because he takes more chances, In Saturday's game Newman took 10 shots and had 5 assists. Morton averages 3.8 shots per game. As the old saying goes, you can't score if you don't shoot.

I agree and disagree,

Last week Purdue was in a slump. We'd lost 4 out of 6 games. It wasn't due to any one player and Morton was doing what he's done all year. In my opinion with Morton it's always been a low risk, low reward type situation. He doesn't really do anything wrong on the offensive end but he doesn't necessarily add anything either.

That was okay when Loyer, Smith, Furst and even Gillis were hitting their shots on a consistent basis. The problem is when the other guys are struggling, it exaggerates Morton's shortcomings. We need scoring from the guard position. It needs to come from somewhere, History would indicate its not going to come from Morton. I believe that's why fans were looking for a change late in the season.

IMO Newman is the higher risk, higher reward player. He's going to make mistakes because he takes more chances, In Saturday's game Newman took 10 shots and had 5 assists. Morton averages 3.8 shots per game. As the old saying goes, you can't score if you don't shoot.
Bingo.

For perspective, let’s keep in mind that there were plenty of “Carsen’s shooting too much”, “Carsen is selfish”, “Carsen misses too much”, and “Carsen needs to be benched” takes on this board right before Carsen Edwards put the team on his back and had one of the greatest shooting displays in tournament history that had Purdue 2.3 seconds from a final four.

For perspective, let’s keep in mind that there were plenty of “Carsen’s shooting too much”, “Carsen is selfish”, “Carsen misses too much”, and “Carsen needs to be benched” takes on this board right before Carsen Edwards put the team on his back and had one of the greatest shooting displays in tournament history that had Purdue 2.3 seconds from a final four.

Yes that is true and should be kept in mind. However, I don’t think Newman has had the success that Carsen did to really compare. He has been in a 3 point shooting slump for basically 2 years and just seems like he’s coming out of it. Carsen did slump, but not as bad or as long iirc.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yes that is true and should be kept in mind. However, I don’t think Newman has had the success that Carsen did to really compare. He has been in a 3 point shooting slump for basically 2 years and just seems like he’s coming out of it. Carsen did slump, but not as bad or as long iirc.
That was more to provide prospective on posters opinions here rather than comparing the players.

Reactions: Gman544
I like Morton a lot. His defense is great. But you're completely wrong in your analysis of Newman in yesterday's game. Without him out there, we lose handily.

Who else hit 3 pointers?

I notice you want to remind everyone of the bad decisions he made. But there were a lot of bad decisions made by Zach, Gillis, and several others that nearly cost us the game in the 2nd half. Why aren't you focused on those bad decisions?

Right now, I'd rather have Newman, with the energy he's been bringing, in the game ahead of Gillis, Morton, and maybe even Loyer. He's not playing scared. And his defense has been pretty rock solid.
yea plus Gillis has 2 TO's where the pass went thru his hands

Who else hit 3 pointers?

That's my biggest take with our fans, is they point out Newmans weaknesses while others on the team have done the same and we stay silent on those mistakes.

Reactions: purduepat1969
That's my biggest take with our fans, is they point out Newmans weaknesses while others on the team have done the same and we stay silent on those mistakes.
not me
making bad passes and ill advised shots, you can say that about all our guards, imho playing time is needed to iron out some rough edges. It's hard playing 3 or 4 minutes at a time and gaining confidence. Reminds me of Justin Jennings, guy comes around his late Jr and Sr year. to be productive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT