ADVERTISEMENT

Newman...

Should have been starting two weeks ago like many of us has been saying.
CMP is a good coach but way too stubborn for the good of Purdue.
Better late then never...
I said last year that Brandon performed much better as a starter. Painter should know this, not sure why. Maybe some of Brandons personal tragedy in his life added to the dynamics. Really happy for him so far in the game. Always been a BN fan since day 1.

Or you could have open eyes and have seen that he wasn't consistant with his effort. That his decision making and passing was often subpar, and that he sometimes came in and jacked up 3's right away without being in the flow of the game.
To his great credit he is working VERY hard at correcting those things and as such HAS EARNED HIS MINUTES.
And now BECAUSE he's earned his minutes with effort and defense, the shots come WITHIN THE FLOW OF THE OFFENSE and he becomes a very dangerous asset.
What a wise coach he has.

Or you could have open eyes and have seen that he wasn't consistant with his effort. That his decision making and passing was often subpar, and that he sometimes came in and jacked up 3's right away without being in the flow of the game.
To his great credit he is working VERY hard at correcting those things and as such HAS EARNED HIS MINUTES.
And now BECAUSE he's earned his minutes with effort and defense, the shots come WITHIN THE FLOW OF THE OFFENSE and he becomes a very dangerous asset.
I see you are one of those that feel like CMP can't do no wrong crowd.

I could also tell your Newman probably has the highest rebound per minute than anyone on our team without looking it up. Even more than Edey.

If you don't feel like Newman also has the shortest rope on our team than I don't what to tell you.
He should have been starting over Morton halfway to our season. CMP was wrong in that regard and any reason person could see that...

Love the good parts of Newman today. There were quite a few bad parts also. He gets out of position on defense too often and can be prone to bad passing decisions. Box score today only shows one turnover but he created at least four by where he put the pass. His court awareness can be poor at times and he completely missed a block out on an illinois free throw in the closing minutes. I like that he started today but his deficiencies when paired with a very young backcourt can cause problems. IMO that's why Morton has started for much of the year.

Love the good parts of Newman today. There were quite a few bad parts also. He gets out of position on defense too often and can be prone to bad passing decisions. Box score today only shows one turnover but he created at least four by where he put the pass. His court awareness can be poor at times and he completely missed a block out on an illinois free throw in the closing minutes. I like that he started today but his deficiencies when paired with a very young backcourt can cause problems. IMO that's why Morton has started for much of the year.
OMG. The dude won the game for Purdue today. 19 points 6 boards 5 assists and 3 steals but yeah Morton got his 2 points.

Purdue needs guards that can score. Morton made some key steals but Illinois wasn't even guarding him. He'd run through the motion offense but neither Purdue or Illinois even considered the chance that he might get the ball.

Putting Newman out there gives us 5 guys who can score. Imagine the possibilities.........

OMG. The dude won the game for Purdue today. 19 points 6 boards 5 assists and 3 steals but yeah Morton got his 2 points.

Purdue needs guards that can score. Morton made some key steals but Illinois wasn't even guarding him. He'd run through the motion offense but neither Purdue or Illinois even considered the chance that he might get the ball.

Putting Newman out there gives us 5 guys who can score. Imagine the possibilities.........
I said I'm glad he got the start today and loved the good things he did, apparently you missed that. You can't ignore the other items though, that's likely why he hadn't started earlier in the year ESPECIALLY with two freshmen out there. That's what I am saying.

I said I'm glad he got the start today and loved the good things he did, apparently you missed that. You can't ignore the other items though, that's likely why he hadn't started earlier in the year ESPECIALLY with two freshmen out there. That's what I am saying.
Morton 0 assists, 2 turnovers. Newman 5 assists, 1 turnover.

I think Morton has started his last game at Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Very good point. I should watch more Purdue games with my eyes open than shut. I won't miss as much!

• Haha
Reactions: Riveting-
He set the tone very early in the game with a couple steals and knocking down the three ball. Saw him do this at Valparaiso high school for three years and hope it continues throughout the tournaments.

He definitely got to Shannon a bit. Lost in the near collapse was that Purdue did a pretty darn good job on Shannon, holding him to 13 points (just seven attempts) and six turnovers before he fouled out. Shannon is either first or second team all-conference (with Boo Buie), IMO. Joining (Edey, Jackson-Davis, Murray, Pickett).

Hola, Señor Newman!

Newman, even with his mistakes, raises the ceiling of this team, which is what Purdue needs to make a run.

Newman’s athleticism, man on man defensive ability, rebounding, and shot making ability are much needed. Nobody else on the team can bring that combination. Needs to be on the floor 25+ minutes, in my opinion.

I could also tell your Newman probably has the highest rebound per minute than anyone on our team without looking it up. Even more than Edey.

If you don't feel like Newman also has the shortest rope on our team than I don't what to tell you.
He should have been starting over Morton halfway to our season. CMP was wrong in that regard and any reason person could see that...
Has nothing to do with CMP doing no wrong. It's about Newman being unable at the time to do anything right.

Nice observations on his short comings.

But like someone else pointed out, this game is a loss without his contributions. In my opinion he was MVP of the game considering his contributions on both sides of the ball.

The 2nd half defense might get him back in the dog house even with the way he played in the first half. I think painter should have called an earlier time out. We came out shooting too many threes in the 2nd half. Edey needed to be more of a presence.

The 2nd half defense might get him back in the dog house even with the way he played in the first half. I think painter should have called an earlier time out. We came out shooting too many threes in the 2nd half. Edey needed to be more of a presence.
I was yelling at my TV. Everyone shooting 3-pointers did not get the big 1st half lead.

Nice observations on his short comings.

But like someone else pointed out, this game is a loss without his contributions. In my opinion he was MVP of the game considering his contributions on both sides of the ball.
No question Newman was POTG and Purdue doesn't win without him.

There have also been games where Morton was given the same credit. Here's hoping both play their best in the remaining games.

Sometimes It only takes a move to get a team rolling at the right time Newman is a athletic quick player who helps out on offense and defense and on the boards we will need him in the tournament

Only way they could get back in was quick 3s that missed. A little clock , a little more Zach and there would have been a lot less drama. That said, the refs let a lot go on 2nd half

I’ve always seen Newman as a bulk shooter too. A guy who if he gets hot can absolutely take over a game but also a guy who’s not going to do well getting 0-5 shots a game. Basically thought by this point in his career Purdue would be running the offense through him.

I think we need less Morton and more DJJ and Newman in the tourneys. Can get away with a few boneheaded mistakes if we are scoring like we should!

I’ve always seen Newman as a bulk shooter too. A guy who if he gets hot can absolutely take over a game but also a guy who’s not going to do well getting 0-5 shots a game. Basically thought by this point in his career Purdue would be running the offense through him.

I think we need less Morton and more DJJ and Newman in the tourneys. Can get away with a few boneheaded mistakes if we are scoring like we should!
Agree with you totally on Newman. He's CE esque in that he needs shot up to be effective. We need guys who can score right now.

Not so sure about DJJ. Would like to see Smith out there as much as possible.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Agree with you totally on Newman. He's CE esque in that he needs shot up to be effective. We need guys who can score right now.

Not so sure about DJJ. Would like to see Smith out there as much as possible.
Agreed. DJJ is not a point guard.

Smith is the only real PG on this team.

If anything, DJJ should maybe take some of Loyer’s minutes, but Purdue needs Smith on the floor as much as possible, in my opinion.

No you don't see that.
You seem to have a vested interest in this kid playing.
I just care about who makes the team best.
Kind of like coach. ;)
Lord save me from the "can get his own shot" guys. :)

There are good reasons why his playing time has been limited, but to Newman’s credit, he has continued to work and has stepped up his game. I feel like Purdue needs his athleticism on the court to reach its potential. I’m happy for him.
Agreed. The talent has always been there but I think his basketball IQ has been elevated recently. He's been notorious for making bad passes and taking ill advised shots within the offense. But something has clicked for him during the middle of this especially, especially on defense. He's improved right before our eyes and it's great to see.

Reactions: Schnelk
Heres a thought. Coaches see the players everyday in practice and work on their shortfalls. Internet coaches do not. Maybe the coaches saw this court sense improve and along with his other talent felt more pt was earned. They also knew Morton would handle the demotion ok ( winning threes against Wisconsin in second half, 4 steals against Illinois and big D play of the game).

Heres a thought. Coaches see the players everyday in practice and work on their shortfalls. Internet coaches do not. Maybe the coaches saw this court sense improve and along with his other talent felt more pt was earned. They also knew Morton would handle the demotion ok ( winning threes against Wisconsin in second half, 4 steals against Illinois and big D play of the game).
Come on man, he did his thing but it's not enough. Painter understands it and made the change.

Newman had three steals and took their best player out of the game for the entire first half. Add 19 points 6 boards and 5 assists and you have a great game.

I'd go as far as to say this, I doubt Purdue wins if Morton started yesterday. Loyer and Edey were off and Purdue needed offense. Never would have gotten anything remotely close from Morton on the offensive side of the ball as we got from Newman.

It's also okay to acknowledge that coaches are human beings and have flaws too.

Agreed. The talent has always been there but I think his basketball IQ has been elevated recently. He's been notorious for making bad passes and taking ill advised shots within the offense. But something has clicked for him during the middle of this especially, especially on defense. He's improved right before our eyes and it's great to see.
Urbanhack? From FBG?

He definitely got to Shannon a bit. Lost in the near collapse was that Purdue did a pretty darn good job on Shannon, holding him to 13 points (just seven attempts) and six turnovers before he fouled out. Shannon is either first or second team all-conference (with Boo Buie), IMO. Joining (Edey, Jackson-Davis, Murray, Pickett).

Hola, Señor Newman!
agree, I was one of the very few that picked Shannon in that post who would be your BIG10 first teamers

making bad passes and ill advised shots, you can say that about all our guards, imho playing time is needed to iron out some rough edges. It's hard playing 3 or 4 minutes at a time and gaining confidence. Reminds me of Justin Jennings, guy comes around his late Jr and Sr year. to be productive.

Come on man, he did his thing but it's not enough. Painter understands it and made the change.

Newman had three steals and took their best player out of the game for the entire first half. Add 19 points 6 boards and 5 assists and you have a great game.

I'd go as far as to say this, I doubt Purdue wins if Morton started yesterday. Loyer and Edey were off and Purdue needed offense. Never would have gotten anything remotely close from Morton on the offensive side of the ball as we got from Newman.

Agree 100%. And not that you need any unsolicited advice but as you know (or does anyone who has been on these boards long enough and you clearly have) just about every year there seems to be posters whose suggestions go *ahem* a bit beyond constructively critical. Which is fine, whatever. I'm no mod and would never want to be one.

But for whatever reasons, said posters will decide on one player (often a role player or back-up, "glue guy", etc, which is puzzling but also a bit comical IMO) and will often decide that particular player is what is basically holding Purdue back.

Last week, the poster you are replying to wrote this:

"Hoping Loyer, Smith and Gillis break out and hit threes. Newman? Ok but he is 8-25 in last 6, 32% ok, but not special."

Interesting that Loyer's or hell, anyone's, percentages were not included (I included them in my reply) during the then 6 game rough patch (was prior to the Wisky game that night). He didn't stop there. Read last Thur's Wisky game thread if curious.

Edit: here were the shooting % prior to last Thurs Wisky game when we saw Newman inserted and -some of us had been pining for a line-up shake up:

Loyer 6-28, 21%
Morton 5-16 for 31%
Gillis 6-18 for 33%
Smith 6-15 for 40%
Furst 2-7 for 29%
Jenkins 4-16 for 25%

But Newman? His 32% was deemed, "ok but nothing special."

Bizarre!

I mean, don't you know Brandon Newman is the reason Purdue isn't 31-0 rather than 26-5?

wink-doc-holliday.gif

Last edited:

I like Morton a lot. His defense is great. But you're completely wrong in your analysis of Newman in yesterday's game. Without him out there, we lose handily.

How many steals for layups did he make yesterday?

Who else hit 3 pointers?

I notice you want to remind everyone of the bad decisions he made. But there were a lot of bad decisions made by Zach, Gillis, and several others that nearly cost us the game in the 2nd half. Why aren't you focused on those bad decisions?

Right now, I'd rather have Newman, with the energy he's been bringing, in the game ahead of Gillis, Morton, and maybe even Loyer. He's not playing scared. And his defense has been pretty rock solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT