ADVERTISEMENT

New DC

Fugs

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
There is a lot of talk on this board about hiring a good Defensive Coordinator and rightfully so, however who do you think would come here?
Any good DC who already has a job and would not risk coming to Purdue just after old what's his name got fired. Most everyone in college football knew about Bob and his good and bad points. Bob was hired for a reason, he was the best Brohm could get at that time. Now after a bad year do you really think that a better candidate will step up and take a job where the head coach is now on the hot seat and that all of the assistant coaches could be fired in a year. No good coach would take that chance. It's hard to find good coordinators and assistants, it always has been. When Tiller came to town he brought all but two of his staff with him and they got off to a good start. Once his staff left for better paying jobs, thanks to cheap skate Morgan Burke, Tiller's assistants were not as good as who they replaced and the team and recruiting suffered. From coaching high school football for 22 years I know how important it is to have good, dedicated assistant coaches.
The firing of Holt now looks like it may have been a mistake but many people like me thought at the time it was a good move. I would never fire an assistant coach unless I knew who I was going to replace him with immediately. There is also a chance that Brohm's best assistant coaches may start looking for a more secure job just in case Brohm gets fired next year and they don't want to be put in a bad situation. If I were one of them I know that I would be looking for a more stable situation. I've known a few good coaches that have had to sell Insurance or Cars for a year until they could catch on with another team.
If I were Brohm I would promote my best assistant to DC and live and die with him. That person knows Brohm, Brohm knows him, and they both already have a relationship with the players. Next years schedule will be another tough one so I know Brohm doesn't have any time to waste.
As far as playing a 4-3 or 3-4 it just does not make any difference. In the years you have more good linemen you play a 4-3, in years where you have more good linebackers you can play a 3-4. you are only moving one man around and making an adjustment. It's not that hard. If you really serious about playing a specific defense you can recruit players for specific positions. 4-3 is usually better against teams that run the ball and a 3-4 is usually better against passing teams, but you can disguise everything. I always played a 6-2 defense, that's what I knew and could teach best. It looked like the old Chicago Bear defense to some people. It was difficult for teams to prepare for because no one else played it.
Purdue is in a bind right now but I hope they can have a productive, healthy off season, develop better team chemistry with good senior leadership and " Boiler up for 2021 ".

Knucklehead Central hints at an incoming flight this a.m. I'm not a premium member so I can't read the details.
We'll see what happens on 12/21 later in the day and if there is breaking news in the next 24-48 hrs.

Agree with a lot of this, unfortunately. This is simply not an attractive job right now. Odds are whoever is hired will be fired within the next 2 years. And in the absence of being fired, Purdue/Brohm hasn’t exactly been a launching pad for coaching careers. Basically the selling point is a P5 assistant coaching gig and nothing more. The same selling point that gave us Diaco as a prime candidate. We are not poaching a successful high D1 assistant from anywhere right now. 90% of the ‘candidates’ being discussed by fans wouldn’t even answer a text about this job. But that’s what fans do. We approach these things like we are simply pulling whatever we want from the shelves at Costco.

This reality is why I arrived at the conclusion the other day that Jeff’s best option might be himself. Not naming himself DC, but hiring someone young and energetic who connects with the players, and who Jeff can mold into what he wants to do. Jeff can give more of the offense over to Brian and invest himself in saving the defense (and his career). I suppose promoting from within achieves a similar thing, but I’m not sure who that would be at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
I wouldn’t hate it if he hired a really successful guy from a DII program or a small school. It also wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a guy who has recruiting connections where you can find some quality DB’s. (Possibly Florida or Texas)

To me we can get front 7 guys from Indiana and the Midwest. We seems to need DB’s in the worst way.

Knucklehead Central hints at an incoming flight this a.m. I'm not a premium member so I can't read the details.
We'll see what happens on 12/21 later in the day and if there is breaking news in the next 24-48 hrs.

nothing to do with DC

nothing to do with DC
Wishful thinking to have Purdue's stocking filled on Christmas eve. Darn it...lump of coal again!!!
Thanks for the insight though. Any candidates speculated beyond Cort Dennison and Spence Nowinsky? I'm hoping Purdue does fill the role before end of month so that we do not get ourselves into selecting who is left.

Wishful thinking to have Purdue's stocking filled on Christmas eve. Darn it...lump of coal again!!!
Thanks for the insight though. Any candidates speculated beyond Cort Dennison and Spence Nowinsky? I'm hoping Purdue does fill the role before end of month so that we do not get ourselves into selecting who is left.
Purdue hired Diaco on the 30th last year. I wouldnt be surprised if this pushes into January.

Purdue hired Diaco on the 30th last year. I wouldnt be surprised if this pushes into January.
Thanks, I didn't remember that. With Auburn, Arizona, Illinois all beginning their re-load, if I were Purdue (Mike Bobinski & Jeff Brohm), I'd hope they have the target and the offer on the table sooner than later.

Thanks, I didn't remember that. With Auburn, Arizona, Illinois all beginning their re-load, if I were Purdue (Mike Bobinski & Jeff Brohm), I'd hope they have the target and the offer on the table sooner than later.
Illinois may hire Diaco. Wouldnt worry about Arizona and if Auburn lets Steele go, they deserve to be bama's bitch in perpetuity.

Illinois may hire Diaco. Wouldnt worry about Arizona and if Auburn lets Steele go, they deserve to be bama's bitch in perpetuity.
Better yet. Let them fire him and pay him all the moneys

What's up with Co-offensive and defensive coordinators? Seems like Diaco had full control of the defense last year so what's with the titles? Just to make certain coaches feel special? I don't understand having Co-offensive coordinators and still having the head coach call plays

What's up with Co-offensive and defensive coordinators? Seems like Diaco had full control of the defense last year so what's with the titles? Just to make certain coaches feel special? I don't understand having Co-offensive coordinators and still having the head coach call plays
Comp level.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Additionally, there are other factors that continue to keep Venables from getting his shot.

There is a lot of talk on this board about hiring a good Defensive Coordinator and rightfully so, however who do you think would come here?
Any good DC who already has a job and would not risk coming to Purdue just after old what's his name got fired. Most everyone in college football knew about Bob and his good and bad points. Bob was hired for a reason, he was the best Brohm could get at that time. Now after a bad year do you really think that a better candidate will step up and take a job where the head coach is now on the hot seat and that all of the assistant coaches could be fired in a year. No good coach would take that chance. It's hard to find good coordinators and assistants, it always has been. When Tiller came to town he brought all but two of his staff with him and they got off to a good start. Once his staff left for better paying jobs, thanks to cheap skate Morgan Burke, Tiller's assistants were not as good as who they replaced and the team and recruiting suffered. From coaching high school football for 22 years I know how important it is to have good, dedicated assistant coaches.
The firing of Holt now looks like it may have been a mistake but many people like me thought at the time it was a good move. I would never fire an assistant coach unless I knew who I was going to replace him with immediately. There is also a chance that Brohm's best assistant coaches may start looking for a more secure job just in case Brohm gets fired next year and they don't want to be put in a bad situation. If I were one of them I know that I would be looking for a more stable situation. I've known a few good coaches that have had to sell Insurance or Cars for a year until they could catch on with another team.
If I were Brohm I would promote my best assistant to DC and live and die with him. That person knows Brohm, Brohm knows him, and they both already have a relationship with the players. Next years schedule will be another tough one so I know Brohm doesn't have any time to waste.
As far as playing a 4-3 or 3-4 it just does not make any difference. In the years you have more good linemen you play a 4-3, in years where you have more good linebackers you can play a 3-4. you are only moving one man around and making an adjustment. It's not that hard. If you really serious about playing a specific defense you can recruit players for specific positions. 4-3 is usually better against teams that run the ball and a 3-4 is usually better against passing teams, but you can disguise everything. I always played a 6-2 defense, that's what I knew and could teach best. It looked like the old Chicago Bear defense to some people. It was difficult for teams to prepare for because no one else played it.
Purdue is in a bind right now but I hope they can have a productive, healthy off season, develop better team chemistry with good senior leadership and " Boiler up for 2021 ".

and people claim I’m not a Purdue fan lol.

hopefully bobinski doesn’t have your mentality. That’s the mentality they told everyone in 2007 that George karlaftis, gust hartwig, Kyle Jornigan, Bryce Austin, Greg Hudgins, dontay Hunter and Steven Faucheux would never come here because Purdue will never get good linemen cause we aren’t Wisconsin or an elite program , right?

Purdue will have to pay really good money to lure a Clayton white or the Louisville LB coach.. but it’s not like they can’t get someone like that

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
How bout Ditka? He’ll toughen em up !!

• Haha
Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT