ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

From a strategic recruiting perspective, you get commitments from under recruited players after your main targets turn you down, not before . It would Appear this player no matter how good or bad he is would still have been available after Harris and Perry made their announcement. And if he committed elsewhere, he would be easy to flip if we missed out on Perry and Harris. Now we place ourselves in the position of only signing one of Perry and/or harris when we could have had both
I believe Painter was watching Perry and this guy impressed him much more. Nothing wrong with making a move on a player that has gone unnoticed when you see it. The past 5 years have landed us Edey, Ivey, and Carson all ranked 80+ (unranked/450+ for Edey, you know the NPOY). I'm pretty sure he decided he wanted Cox over Perry, and made the move.

I think Harris is our main target for the last spot now.

I think the problem is we didn’t really have any guys that could step up(aside from Zach)and win a game with any consistency
I’m not sure how realistic many of your views are but I think you nailed it on this one. Back court was not ready to absorb Jaden leaving early, Newman not developing and missing on their top transfer targets.

Fantastic regular season for a team starting two freshmen guards but roster had real flaws. Will be interesting to see how this year shakes out.

Are you throwing in all teams with a 5 emphasis against all teams with a guard emphasis for the std dev.? I get the ability for a one game get hot upset as well as the winner most games. I'm sure Purdue is an outlier on the 5 compared to other NCAA teams and so although I get the part about guards getting hot for one game, why doesn't Purdue see the guards get hot before the tourney? Why hasn't the Big overall done better? One poster has suggested that the Big doesn't prepare teams for the tourney. I think the advantage for a guard in the tourney, if there is one, is that perhaps the guards are not allowed to be mugged. Second if two good teams are close going into the final second, the Big has to receive the ball, the guards already have it. Shooting 3's at 40% in college is less than shooting 60% with Zach since he also draws fouls and what coach wants you fouling jump shooters? IMO, there is something more at play than guards and centers
We have had it happen. Carsen put up 35+ points 3 straight games. That's what I'm talking about. It's very hard for a Center to have double his normal production, whereas a hot shooting guard can do it pretty easily by hitting crazy numbers from behind the arc. Guards are also prone to getting cold too, hence the std dev. being greater.

As for shooting %, You can stop the center from getting the ball with the double, It's really hard to stop a shooter who is hitting everything from 4 ft. beyond the arc.

As for the point about the B1G, calling games loosely is certainly a contributor. I also think it has to do with they type of players the B1G recruits. Lots of strong fundamentals, good D, and coachability seem to prevail over pure athleticism for most teams. It will be interesting with Oregon, UCLA, and USC joining if that changes recruiting habits of the rest of the B1G or if we force them to recruit our style of players so they can get enough wins to make the tourney.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'm the one that has been consistent in saying the B1G is a terrible preparation for the tournament. All you have to do is watch other conferences play throughout the season and you will see the difference. Very little diversity in defense (and I'm not just talking about zone) it's also a lack of aggressive guard play and very little pressing. We need more teams to mix it up like Maryland and Iowa do. Also the way the B1G is officiated is different. Way too much holding/contact is allowed. Bogs down the game and you get those thrilling 52-48 rock fights that we all love....

I'm hopeful that the 4 new teams will bring some diversity and force the conference to adapt. I'm afraid they will be forced to adapt instead and we don't get the change we need.

CMP does a very good job of installing what he wants early in the year. We beat some good teams before they are fully "developed". Then we get into the 3 month slug fest that is the B1G season and we are not prepared for march. I think if we continued to play those other kind of teams throughout the winter we would be much better prepared for the tournament. Just one guys opinion..
I knew it was you, but your handle I couldn't remember

We have had it happen. Carsen put up 35+ points 3 straight games. That's what I'm talking about. It's very hard for a Center to have double his normal production, whereas a hot shooting guard can do it pretty easily by hitting crazy numbers from behind the arc. Guards are also prone to getting cold too, hence the std dev. being greater.

As for shooting %, You can stop the center from getting the ball with the double, It's really hard to stop a shooter who is hitting everything from 4 ft. beyond the arc.

As for the point about the B1G, calling games loosely is certainly a contributor. I also think it has to do with they type of players the B1G recruits. Lots of strong fundamentals, good D, and coachability seem to prevail over pure athleticism for most teams. It will be interesting with Oregon, UCLA, and USC joining if that changes recruiting habits of the rest of the B1G or if we force them to recruit our style of players so they can get enough wins to make the tourney.
Carsen had exceptional range as far back as high school and those defenses (tourney) played the odds and never extended the D. But in 4 years of playing at Purdue Carsen as good as he was never had a streak like that. Walker at MSU last year had a game like that and Purdue won. Most doubles or digs come on the catch or dribble...meaning the 5 already has the ball. Any problem is due to the refs allowing hacking and jumping over the back.

Doubling before the ball is passed to the 5 means someone has an open look. Another team that nobody doubles can have the D extend out on them if needed and have coverage of everybody. Can a guard hit tough 3s...yes, but you would want to believe that your team having a guy open can make easy shots at the rate of another player hitting tough shots. Hot shooting is when a player gets in a zone mentally and if playing against that...a player known to get hot...belly up early in the game...don't let him get going.

In a given game...anything can happen, but the open shots should beat the team with tougher shots even though it didn't happen last year. Can't recall the Peacocks game, but North Texas had open looks due to over helping.

Cronin was at Cincy and so Purdue is familiar with him. I'm unsure that Oregon, UCLA and USC will bring anything that Purdue will not see early this year with their schedule. These teams just tweak their own versions of D...small tweaks that all the Purdue players saw in high school. The athletic ability is different and Purdue is getting more athletic I believe, but it isn't smoke and mirrors why Purdue has a good offense most seasons. Anyway, the odds are not as great for a guard to go off on a team that is not doubled OR over-helped than a dominant 5 that the other team doubles leaving someone open. You have to have a good inside game to win it all for that consistency

A guard can have that upset, but that hot streak is probably not consistent enough to win it all. You need a good inside and outside game to win it all..."IF" that is the goal.

Last edited:
Carsen had exceptional range as far back as high school and those defenses (tourney) played the odds and never extended the D. But in 4 years of playing at Purdue Carsen as good as he was never had a streak like that. Walker at MSU last year had a game like that and Purdue won. Most doubles or digs come on the catch or dribble...meaning the 5 already has the ball. Any problem is due to the refs allowing hacking and jumping over the back.

Doubling before the ball is passed to the 5 means someone has an open look. Another team that nobody doubles can have the D extend out on them if needed and have coverage of everybody. Can a guard hit tough 3s...yes, but you would want to believe that your team having a guy open can make easy shots at the rate of another player hitting tough shots. Hot shooting is when a player gets in a zone mentally and if playing against that...a player known to get hot...belly up early in the game...don't let him get going.

In a given game...anything can happen, but the open shots should beat the team with tougher shots even though it didn't happen last year. Can't recall the Peacocks game, but North Texas had open looks due to over helping.

Cronin was at Cincy and so Purdue is familiar with him. I'm unsure that Oregon, UCLA and USC will bring anything that Purdue will not see early this year with their schedule. These teams just tweak their own versions of D...small tweaks that all the Purdue players saw in high school. The athletic ability is different and Purdue is getting more athletic I believe, but it isn't smoke and mirrors why Purdue has a good offense most seasons. Anyway, the odds are not as great for a guard to go off on a team that is not doubled OR over-helped than a dominant 5 that the other team doubles leaving someone open. You have to have a good inside game to win it all for that consistency

A guard can have that upset, but that hot streak is probably not consistent enough to win it all. You need a good inside and outside game to win it all..."IF" that is the goal.
The 4 teams coming from the Pac 12 are more up tempo and diverse than what we normally see in the B1G. They play multiple defenses much more than we see during B1G season. Now, whether or not they will be able to have any influence on our conference is the question. Or are they forced to become just another 4 teams that do the same thing we already do? I'm hoping for the former, but thinking it's more likely the latter.

It's hard to argue that a 29 win season is not a great thing. I'm just addressing the question of why what we do works for the B1G season, but not the tournament. B1G is very predictable and CMP has a formula that works very well for the style of play of our conference. Unfortunately, that same conference hasn't won a championship in over 2 decades. Maybe this year will be the breakthrough and we'll be the ones to do it. I'm really hopeful that Myles and Cam will add that much needed athleticism. Of course someone that can hit a wide open 3 would be good too!!

Reactions: tjreese
The 4 teams coming from the Pac 12 are more up tempo and diverse than what we normally see in the B1G. They play multiple defenses much more than we see during B1G season. Now, whether or not they will be able to have any influence on our conference is the question. Or are they forced to become just another 4 teams that do the same thing we already do? I'm hoping for the former, but thinking it's more likely the latter.

It's hard to argue that a 29 win season is not a great thing. I'm just addressing the question of why what we do works for the B1G season, but not the tournament. B1G is very predictable and CMP has a formula that works very well for the style of play of our conference. Unfortunately, that same conference hasn't won a championship in over 2 decades. Maybe this year will be the breakthrough and we'll be the ones to do it. I'm really hopeful that Myles and Cam will add that much needed athleticism. Of course someone that can hit a wide open 3 would be good too!!
What I was getting at is in the preseason Purdue again has some good teams early from outside the Big. Can't recall if they could play Marquette or not, but thinking they could. I want to believe that Purdue will handle pressure much better this year for a variety of reasons with most already being discussed. I have to believe that Myles won't get uptight when he gets his D okay. The players on his teams weren't as much help as some of the other players had and he is used to scoring no matter what and I say that knowing his competition wasn't as great. What Roosevelt did was put him in a position where he was everything, and that allowed him to grow offensively. He could take shots that he couldn't have at Carmel or high quality teams. Now, he is behind on his D and maybe only slightly better than Woody was his freshman year on his D, but I just think this team fills some gaps last years team had and think Myles can do things others couldn't..."if" he gets his D okay. Just hope the newcomers get the early turnovers due to pressure out early...

I’m not sure how realistic many of your views are but I think you nailed it on this one. Back court was not ready to absorb Jaden leaving early, Newman not developing and missing on their top transfer targets.

Fantastic regular season for a team starting two freshmen guards but roster had real flaws. Will be interesting to see how this year shakes out.
Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean my views are unrealistic. All it means is you don’t have a good understanding of basketball.

Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean my views are unrealistic. All it means is you don’t have a good understanding of basketball.

I don't know if you meant to come off as arrogant....but if so you are doing a great job.

Perhaps, both of you understand basketball, but just have disagreement.....btw, the poster was you responded to negatively was agreeing with you on a point you made.

What I was getting at is in the preseason Purdue again has some good teams early from outside the Big. Can't recall if they could play Marquette or not, but thinking they could. I want to believe that Purdue will handle pressure much better this year for a variety of reasons with most already being discussed. I have to believe that Myles won't get uptight when he gets his D okay. The players on his teams weren't as much help as some of the other players had and he is used to scoring no matter what and I say that knowing his competition wasn't as great. What Roosevelt did was put him in a position where he was everything, and that allowed him to grow offensively. He could take shots that he couldn't have at Carmel or high quality teams. Now, he is behind on his D and maybe only slightly better than Woody was his freshman year on his D, but I just think this team fills some gaps last years team had and think Myles can do things others couldn't..."if" he gets his D okay. Just hope the newcomers get the early turnovers due to pressure out early...
The good thing with defense is that Myles can learn it and apply his athleticism to it. It may not stick right away with him (hope it does), but I am guessing as the season goes on, it will click so he can play significant minutes this year. However, if it doesn’t, I joke he can bring his shooting ability when we need it and I am sure he will play big mins next year and be a great all around player.

The good thing with defense is that Myles can learn it and apply his athleticism to it. It may not stick right away with him (hope it does), but I am guessing as the season goes on, it will click so he can play significant minutes this year. However, if it doesn’t, I joke he can bring his shooting ability when we need it and I am sure he will play big mins next year and be a great all around player.
I wouldn’t mind him coming around slowly and being the X factor in the tourney

Regarding Jenkins I think it would be pretty hard to not be able to match his production/effectiveness, at a minimum. Seemed like a really good guy but I was pretty disappointed with his overall game. I can see why Utah ended up benching him his only year there, and that was on a really bad Utah team. I actually really liked Newman’s game when he was on, but he just never found any consistency. Gotta imagine Colvin and Heide can at a minimum match we got from Newman as well. So will we have an upgrade from either position? I do not know, but I don’t think it can get much worse than it was last year.
I agree with you on all counts, but here are my thoughts.

All indications are that Jones is a great defensive player, but I'm not as optimistic as some when it comes to his impact on the offense. He shot the ball well his sophomore year, but his shooting really dropped off the last two years. Last year he shot 37% from the field and 28 percent from 3 (7.6 3pt attempts per game) To give you an idea of how bad that is of the app. 60 guys who attempted more than 2 threes per game last year in the B1G, only 4 guys shot under 28%. (yes, one of them was Morton). For his career he's averaged more turnovers than assists. I watched a couple of the halves on the European trip and looking at his stats for that trip it doesn't appear much has changed for him IMO. My thought is Jones for Jenkins will be a push, Doesn't matter too much as I still think Smith gets 30+ minutes per game and Jones just spells him.

I'm really optimistic about Colvin. Made the USA Team, looked good in Europe and appears to be pretty good three-point shooter. But like you, I was pretty optimistic about Newman last year coming off a pretty good run for the traveling USA Team the summer before. However, when we opened the season with Morton starting, the script appeared to be already written on how things would end for Newman at Purdue.

Anyway, improved shooting from Loyer and an additional scoring punch provided either Colvin or Heide may be all we need to get us to the FF.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

All indications are that Jones is a great defensive player, but I'm not as optimistic as some when it comes to his impact on the offense. He shot the ball well his sophomore year, but his shooting really dropped off the last two years. Last year he shot 37% from the field and 28 percent from 3 (7.6 3pt attempts per game) To give you an idea of how bad that is of the app. 60 guys who attempted more than 2 threes per game last year in the B1G, only 4 guys shot under 28%. (yes, one of them was Morton). For his career he's averaged more turnovers than assists. I watched a couple of the halves on the European trip and looking at his stats for that trip it doesn't appear much has changed for him IMO. My thought is Jones for Jenkins will be a push, Doesn't matter too much as I still think Smith gets 30+ minutes per game and Jones just spells him.

I'm really optimistic about Colvin. Made the USA Team, looked good in Europe and appears to be pretty good three-point shooter. But like you, I was pretty optimistic about Newman last year coming off a pretty good run for the traveling USA Team the summer before. However, when we opened the season with Morton starting, the script appeared to be already written on how things would end for Newman at Purdue.

Anyway, improved shooting from Loyer and an additional scoring punch provided either Colvin or Heide may be all we need to get us to the FF.
We need a little bit of luck if we are able to get to that second weekend too!

Hopefully, Jones won’t need to be relied on for shooting (but able to hit the open shot when wide open) and just for running the offense while Braden is out and also playing defense.

Reactions: SCBoiler1

What I have heard said by people who watched him play last year is that Jones took a lot of long, low percentage threes last season and that his shooting percentage was much better earlier in his career when he wasn’t being relied on to be a primary scorer. My bet is that his role on the offense will be a lot more like PJ Thompson than Carsen Edwards and that the threes that he takes will be shots that he can make at a decent percentage.

I think Jones biggest role is to keep Smith fresh. He has the speed to bring the ball up so we can get into our offense. Hopefully his reported D can assist against guards like MSU's.

I don't expect great offense from him, but I am sure like Jenkins, he will have a game or two in our long schedule where he shows up as a minor difference maker.

Read an article about Jones and how he was asked to shoot more on a team that needed it last year.

What I have heard said by people who watched him play last year is that Jones took a lot of long, low percentage threes last season and that his shooting percentage was much better earlier in his career when he wasn’t being relied on to be a primary scorer. My bet is that his role on the offense will be a lot more like PJ Thompson than Carsen Edwards and that the threes that he takes will be shots that he can make at a decent percentage.

Absolutely on the first part, the number of 30+ foot pull up 3s he took was ridiculous. Give him more of a catch and shoot role, often wide open, it's not difficult to see 35% shooting from 3 as a possibility.

Are you throwing in all teams with a 5 emphasis against all teams with a guard emphasis for the std dev.? I get the ability for a one game get hot upset as well as the winner most games. I'm sure Purdue is an outlier on the 5 compared to other NCAA teams and so although I get the part about guards getting hot for one game, why doesn't Purdue see the guards get hot before the tourney? Why hasn't the Big overall done better? One poster has suggested that the Big doesn't prepare teams for the tourney. I think the advantage for a guard in the tourney, if there is one, is that perhaps the guards are not allowed to be mugged. Second if two good teams are close going into the final second, the Big has to receive the ball, the guards already have it. Shooting 3's at 40% in college is less than shooting 60% with Zach since he also draws fouls and what coach wants you fouling jump shooters? IMO, there is something more at play than guards and centers
I m fascinated to see if the B1G referees games differently. It is clear that "our" style of play and officiating does not fit the Dance. Will the B1G do anything about that?

I m fascinated to see if the B1G referees games differently. It is clear that "our" style of play and officiating does not fit the Dance. Will the B1G do anything about that?
Is this a serious question or rhetorical? The Big has known this for years and refused to do anything. We joke about Big basketball being rugby/football/wrestling on court yet nothing has been done. Refs constantly swallow their whistles and make the game about themselves.

• Sad
Is this a serious question or rhetorical? The Big has known this for years and refused to do anything. We joke about Big basketball being rugby/football/wrestling on court yet nothing has been done. Refs constantly swallow their whistles and make the game about themselves.
maybe both. You mumble all year about Painter not changing .... maybe both he and the B1G figure out that if you do the same thing, you'll get the same results. IS THIS THE YEAR?

And if so, can all the B1G refs reform?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I think for the most part you actually agreed with me? I'm sure you have seen be post before, I'm not one of the we need to change everything type of guys. I think all we need is some outside shooters that can hit open shots, and one athletic guy to create shots when everyone else gets cold (on top of our normal dominant post game).

You are mostly correct on the double, but teams that are going to double tend to sag towards the center so they can quickly move to the double. This also cuts down on passing lanes to the center. North Texas and FAU doubled almost the entire time leaving a player open every time down the court. They also played scrappy perimeter D on the guys who weren't left open. The Peacocks just dared the refs to call a foul every play by hanging on peoples arms, which got in Ivey, Williams, Edey, and Gillis head.

As I said before the std deviation of guard focused teams vs. center focused teams is pretty extreme. When you get to the S16 and especially the E8 nearly every team is very good. If said center focused team is slightly better on Offense (say 5 points per game) but is only likely to vary 5 points per game, but the other really good team can vary 12 points per game due to hot/cold that is extremely dangerous for the center focused team. Chances of getting 3-4 games (s16/E8 onward) in a row where the guard focused team is average or worse just isn't likely.

The new teams joining the league play a completely different style of basketball than we do in the B1G. It's not just going to be different D and some athletes, most of those teams play transition ball or dribble drive and kick style.

Absolutely on the first part, the number of 30+ foot pull up 3s he took was ridiculous. Give him more of a catch and shoot role, often wide open, it's not difficult to see 35% shooting from 3 as a possibility.
Jenkins shot 35% from 3 last year. Similar assist to turnover ratio as Jones. I expect Jones to be a better defender but a wash on the offensive end.

Jenkins shot 35% from 3 last year. Similar assist to turnover ratio as Jones. I expect Jones to be a better defender but a wash on the offensive end.

Jones should be better off the bounce than Jenkins. Jenkins was a great locker room guys though, hopefully Jones is as well

I think it is more about referees "inside" the Big gyms. Many of these same refs work elsewhere as well. Perhaps Purdue does well early in the season unlike the end of the season and only the Big ref'd games lie in-between?

I think for the most part you actually agreed with me? I'm sure you have seen be post before, I'm not one of the we need to change everything type of guys. I think all we need is some outside shooters that can hit open shots, and one athletic guy to create shots when everyone else gets cold (on top of our normal dominant post game).

You are mostly correct on the double, but teams that are going to double tend to sag towards the center so they can quickly move to the double. This also cuts down on passing lanes to the center. North Texas and FAU doubled almost the entire time leaving a player open every time down the court. They also played scrappy perimeter D on the guys who weren't left open. The Peacocks just dared the refs to call a foul every play by hanging on peoples arms, which got in Ivey, Williams, Edey, and Gillis head.

As I said before the std deviation of guard focused teams vs. center focused teams is pretty extreme. When you get to the S16 and especially the E8 nearly every team is very good. If said center focused team is slightly better on Offense (say 5 points per game) but is only likely to vary 5 points per game, but the other really good team can vary 12 points per game due to hot/cold that is extremely dangerous for the center focused team. Chances of getting 3-4 games (s16/E8 onward) in a row where the guard focused team is average or worse just isn't likely.

The new teams joining the league play a completely different style of basketball than we do in the B1G. It's not just going to be different D and some athletes, most of those teams play transition ball or dribble drive and kick style.
Well, I agreed with a lot. North Texas and FAU did "double" and sometimes would dig "after" Zach had the ball. North Texas got the benefit of Purdue's D overhelping...just as IU did in trailing the offensive player on sideline screens fearing the 3 ball if the offensive player stops behind the screen.

I have no idea what standard deviation calculations were made, but I do believe that a guard oriented team that is good and Purdue's 5s would have more variation with the guard team and why I said the 3 ball can make for an upset, but maybe fall short to win it all since it would need to not have that variation for 6 games. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with the stats you have for 5 points 12 points 3-4 games. The dribble drive is much more common than Purdue's offense. Matt has always been a bit of a contrarian ... with his off ball screening and typically less on ball screening than many teams. Is there a site that lists the stats you used or did you just combine a few things to arrive at the numbers?

We shall see how Purdue does preseason. Have some quality teams to play and perhaps they will play different than typical Big games. Marquette did. Rutgers has been a thorn in the side of Purdue due to their emphasis on D with size. I can understand different athletes and the way the game is called, but pressure by the offense and defense outside of athletes and refs being the big difference is nothing new to these kids and so I don't think schematically there is an issue for Purdue. I would imagine all these kids have seen full, 3/4 and half zone presses and traps as well as man full and half with various degrees of pressure. Purdue half court zones or match-up are nothing new to the players and so I really think schematically the kids know what to do, but when the whistle changes with athletes, the understanding isn't winning the battles. Presses were never an issue with Lew Jack or Carsen and for the most part Braden, but some of the "other players" did have issues

Thought the kids were uptight last year more than anything else. Gene's teams played that way it seemed sometimes. Matt has always loosened the reigns compared to Gene. I often wonder if there is too much information overload or why it seems more than usual players get uptight. Purdue had some great looks against FDU...wish they would have driven the ball a bit more. Jaden went out of control the year before. I have a hard time blaming Purdue's style of play being effective for preseason and the Big and not in the tourney due to "style" only. REffing is a different story as are players being too tight. It won't be long before we get a feel for this Purdue team

Yeah overall I’m not very high on jones, at all. That’s why I mentioned in an earlier post that any positive contributions from him I’ll consider as gravy. I think he’ll end up just being another guy in a long line of forgettable one year transfers(minus octeus). But who knows, maybe he surprises. And I most certainly hope he does, as we desperately need all the help we can get at guard. Still super thin there this year.

MSU should be a great test year with maybe the best trio of guards in the country. IU is very athletic likes to get up and down the court. I don’t think that Purdue can blame the conference it plays in for any lack of success it has in the 24 NCAA Tournament.

MSU should be a great test year with maybe the best trio of guards in the country. IU is very athletic likes to get up and down the court. I don’t think that Purdue can blame the conference it plays in for any lack of success it has in the 24 NCAA Tournament.

Sure IU will be athletic but they won't be all that good

Thought the kids were uptight last year more than anything else. Gene's teams played that way it seemed sometimes. Matt has always loosened the reigns compared to Gene. I often wonder if there is too much information overload or why it seems more than usual players get uptight. Purdue had some great looks against FDU...wish they would have driven the ball a bit more. Jaden went out of control the year before. I have a hard time blaming Purdue's style of play being effective for preseason and the Big and not in the tourney due to "style" only. REffing is a different story as are players being too tight. It won't be long before we get a feel for this Purdue team
You caught me! I do agree that our overall style is great as long as we hit outside shots and at least penetrate once in a while.

You caught me! I do agree that our overall style is great as long as we hit outside shots and at least penetrate once in a while.
I do NOT want to be dependent on the 3 ball or the low post play. I do think both are important , but want to see some vertical play on drives and will accept some mid-range shots (not that my desires matter). Where I struggle is trying to understand why the struggle in the tourney. Last year Purdue was struggling towards the end. We all know that. We also know the players were familiar with the other teams and so it wasn't something new for a team struggling towards the end. What if it wasn't the tourney, but the Big continued for another week or so...would Purdue have faltered more? It seems to me there is more slapping and coming over the back in the tourney and I generally associated that with the Big East...right or wrong.

I believe and hope the 3 is good enough to help with pressure and yet be able to score and play D. I think Brian is capable if not leaned on too hard by the defense. I think the open court situations are pleasant dreams to Myles and hope he learns to move his feet and stay in front of his man, because offensively there is a lot to like with Myles are far as scoring...don't know much about his passing. Overall, I just think Purdue upgraded in athletic ability with two (myles/Camden) and one player with on ball D (Jones). I'm curious about Trey and how he will be used as a 4 if Matt follows through, because unless he has really improved his stroke...and he could have...he will spend time in the mid range and low post play...not typical for Purdue's 4 in the past. Not that it couldn't work, but will it? ;)

I do NOT want to be dependent on the 3 ball or the low post play. I do think both are important , but want to see some vertical play on drives and will accept some mid-range shots (not that my desires matter). Where I struggle is trying to understand why the struggle in the tourney. Last year Purdue was struggling towards the end. We all know that. We also know the players were familiar with the other teams and so it wasn't something new for a team struggling towards the end. What if it wasn't the tourney, but the Big continued for another week or so...would Purdue have faltered more? It seems to me there is more slapping and coming over the back in the tourney and I generally associated that with the Big East...right or wrong.

I believe and hope the 3 is good enough to help with pressure and yet be able to score and play D. I think Brian is capable if not leaned on too hard by the defense. I think the open court situations are pleasant dreams to Myles and hope he learns to move his feet and stay in front of his man, because offensively there is a lot to like with Myles are far as scoring...don't know much about his passing. Overall, I just think Purdue upgraded in athletic ability with two (myles/Camden) and one player with on ball D (Jones). I'm curious about Trey and how he will be used as a 4 if Matt follows through, because unless he has really improved his stroke...and he could have...he will spend time in the mid range and low post play...not typical for Purdue's 4 in the past. Not that it couldn't work, but will it? ;)
Balance in all things, my friend.

• Love

Yeh, it must have been obvious to the coaches immediately that he wasn't doing the little things that get you on the floor and keep you there. Too bad he didn't expend the energy on D until we had better players coming in to take his minutes and no spots in the rotation for him.

Was apparent in about 2 minutes of the scrimmage that Jones is considerably better defender than Jenkins. Much more athletic.

seems you know even less about basketball than you do football, if that’s possible…
Our guards looked like high schoolers against UConn and we had zero answer in the back court. The game shifted away from the center position years ago. Edey had a monster game and it still made no difference. As usual, you’re wrong but too stupid to realize it.

Our guards looked like high schoolers against UConn and we had zero answer in the back court. The game shifted away from the center position years ago. Edey had a monster game and it still made no difference. As usual, you’re wrong but too stupid to realize it.
You can make the case that the center position is still important without discounting the importance of the other 4 positions. UConn arguably had the second best center in the country and had a big advantage over Purdue at 3 of the other 4 positions (with point guard being relatively even). They were one of the best college teams that I have seen since the beginning of the one and done era and there is no shame in coming up one game short of the championship against a historically good team.

Not only that, but Purdue made it to the championship game in large part because of Edey’s greatness and UConn shut down a terrific Illinois offense, for example, in large part because their center dominated the lane. Purdue and UConn both demonstrated the value of having a great center in their respective tournament runs.

You can make the case that the center position is still important without discounting the importance of the other 4 positions. UConn arguably had the second best center in the country and had a big advantage over Purdue at 3 of the other 4 positions (with point guard being relatively even). They were one of the best college teams that I have seen since the beginning of the one and done era and there is no shame in coming up one game short of the championship against a historically good team.

Not only that, but Purdue made it to the championship game in large part because of Edey’s greatness and UConn shut down a terrific Illinois offense, for example, in large part because their center dominated the lane. Purdue and UConn both demonstrated the value of having a great center in their respective tournament runs.

Agree with all this. It is a unfortunate take by @johnboiler123.

That UConn team just had what -- 2 lotto picks and 2 other guys go high in 2nd round and decimating nearly everyone they played.

Their D scheme concentrated on our 1, 2 & 3 and was masterfully executed. But to trash our guards and the team was not appreciated by this reader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT