ADVERTISEMENT

New Big Ten Schedule

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
New schedule looks pretty good for us. Only disappointment is having to go back up to Wisconsin. But we do lose Michigan and gain Rutgers. And Nebraska is now at home. It's actually quite a winnable schedule if we start off well against Iowa at home on the 24th.

Back to back home games on Nov 28 and Dec 5 on dormant bermuda grass. Good luck with that.

Back to back home games on Nov 28 and Dec 5 on dormant bermuda grass. Good luck with that.

I could see a scenario in which the late season games get played in domes, especially if there is some give into letting fans in. I believe the very last games of the year for each team will be regardless.

Isnt grass more expensive to upkeep????
I would agree. The one time investment would be large. But the ongoing expense vs real grass would be minimal. Even a lot of high schools are changing over. And with the type of offense we run and the weather in WL, it seems dumb to continue with real grass.

(Big) IF there are bowl games, that 9th game sets up the conference teams for failure with the top teams playing each other and the bottom teams playing each other. That also doesn't help coaches who have performance incentives in their contracts unless they're a bottom tier team. . Otherwise, an interesting concept.

(Big) IF there are bowl games, that 9th game sets up the conference teams for failure with the top teams playing each other and the bottom teams playing each other. That also doesn't help coaches who have performance incentives in their contracts unless they're a bottom tier team. . Otherwise, an interesting concept.
This year's likely gonna have alot of asterisks around it. And alot of coaches have already given back some salary, so don't think it will matter.

I would agree. The one time investment would be large. But the ongoing expense vs real grass would be minimal. Even a lot of high schools are changing over. And with the type of offense we run and the weather in WL, it seems dumb to continue with real grass.
Our high school’s field turf cost about $500K I believe. I doubt the expense is the reason they’re not switching.

In this era of college sports and technology, not sure why Purdue is sticking with a grass surface?...

We've been down this road before, and apparently people have a short memory (or selective recall). Different reports and analysis show different numbers, but there's not a huge disparity in the cost of natural vs synthetic.

At least 6 NFL venues have natural grass, including Arizona and Green Bay (2 weather extremes).

Many other professional venues around the globe continue to use natural grass (or a hybrid), like Wembley and the stadium in Mexico City.

Throw in the NUMEROUS MLB and MiLB venues with natural grass, and the count of venues using natural grass becomes very high.

We've been down this road before, and apparently people have a short memory (or selective recall). Different reports and analysis show different numbers, but there's not a huge disparity in the cost of natural vs synthetic.

At least 6 NFL venues have natural grass, including Arizona and Green Bay (2 weather extremes).

Many other professional venues around the globe continue to use natural grass (or a hybrid), like Wembley and the stadium in Mexico City.

Throw in the NUMEROUS MLB and MiLB venues with natural grass, and the count of venues using natural grass becomes very high.
That's all good. I don't have that short of a memory or selective recall as I wasn't part of any discussion about it here. But when you play in the late fall/early winter in northern IN, why not just make the change and not have to worry about a torn up field? Just seems like a simpler approach...

That's all good. I don't have that short of a memory or selective recall as I wasn't part of any discussion about it here. But when you play in the late fall/early winter in northern IN, why not just make the change and not have to worry about a torn up field? Just seems like a simpler approach...
it was within the last year or so (my memory isn't the best, so it could have been longer) but we seemed to go fairly long into a thread with the same points/counterpoints.

Natural grass has it's advantages. As does turf. There are reasons NFL venues, with all the money they've had pouring in (not so much lately, and for good reason), choose to use natural grass. Even in Green Bay. Ditto the places with artificial turf.

As a player, I much preferred natural grass over turf for any sport. It's MUCH, much cooler. It's more forgiving (reducing injuries). And, for all those enviro-weenies (j/k! ;)) it absorbs carbon dioxide.

A few years back, the Baltimore Ravens went from turf to grass. Baltimore. (They have similar winters, and play more games.) If the decision is so clear-cut, they wouldn't have made the change.

As a Purdue alumnus, there's no way I ever want to see artificial turf in R-A stadium. It's not me being "stubborn", or any other such b.s. It's simply my preference, and it's not even close.

Our high school’s field turf cost about $500K I believe. I doubt the expense is the reason they’re not switching.

You're quite right.

High school is a different animal.

Obviously, football games are played on that field.

For many schools (especially the larger schools), they also have field hockey, soccer, early spring baseball workouts, band, commencement, and many other uses. It has to be durable. It also allows for immediate use even after a heavy rain. Grass isn't going to work nearly as well.

it was within the last year or so (my memory isn't the best, so it could have been longer) but we seemed to go fairly long into a thread with the same points/counterpoints.

Natural grass has it's advantages. As does turf. There are reasons NFL venues, with all the money they've had pouring in (not so much lately, and for good reason), choose to use natural grass. Even in Green Bay. Ditto the places with artificial turf.

As a player, I much preferred natural grass over turf for any sport. It's MUCH, much cooler. It's more forgiving (reducing injuries). And, for all those enviro-weenies (j/k! ;)) it absorbs carbon dioxide.

A few years back, the Baltimore Ravens went from turf to grass. Baltimore. (They have similar winters, and play more games.) If the decision is so clear-cut, they wouldn't have made the change.

As a Purdue alumnus, there's no way I ever want to see artificial turf in R-A stadium. It's not me being "stubborn", or any other such b.s. It's simply my preference, and it's not even close.
No arguments here about the superlatives of a lush green natural playing surface. However, the issue at hand is maintaining that field through prolonged inclement growing conditions. Green Bay, Baltimore and other cold climate NFL stadiums with natural grass have expensive, complex heating coil systems and grow lights that stave off dormancy when old man winter starts rolling in. And when that fails to produce a satisfactory surface, they can lay sod in between games. Purdue doesn't have those kind of resources. And it wouldn't be a good investment. The NFL plays into January every single year. College rarely goes past Thanksgiving. I would consider the Ross-Ade bermudagrass to be on the margin by the time Thanksgiving rolls around on an average year. Mine isn't an argument for switching to an artificial surface, but for this one season I think they should have an alternate (indoor) location lined up for the last 1-2 home games.

Back to the schedule, I was kind of hoping we would play Michigan on Dec 5 and turn up the AC in the visitor's locker room. :D

Last edited:
No arguments here about the superlatives of a lush green natural playing surface. However, the issue at hand is maintaining that field through prolonged inclement growing conditions. Green Bay, Baltimore and other cold climate NFL stadiums with natural grass have expensive, complex heating coil systems and grow lights that stave off dormancy when old man winter starts rolling in. And when that fails to produce a satisfactory surface, they can lay sod in between games. Purdue doesn't have those kind of resources. And it wouldn't be a good investment. The NFL plays into January every single year. College rarely goes past Thanksgiving. I would consider the Ross-Ade bermudagrass to be on the margin by the time Thanksgiving rolls around on an average year. Mine isn't an argument for switching to an artificial surface, but for this one season I think they should have an alternate (indoor) location lined up for the last 1-2 home games.

Back to the schedule, I was kind of hoping we would play Michigan on Dec 5 and turn up the AC in the visitor's locker room. :D

Not long ago I read an article, citing a survey completed by the NFLPA. According to the article, 95% of the players responding to that survey prefer natural grass to turf. Those numbers sound pretty believable.

If it comes down to a decision as to what type of field the players prefer, vs the preference of some random fans complaining on an internet forum about how a field looks, my choice is pretty clear.

Not long ago I read an article, citing a survey completed by the NFLPA. According to the article, 95% of the players responding to that survey prefer natural grass to turf. Those numbers sound pretty believable.

If it comes down to a decision as to what type of field the players prefer, vs the preference of some random fans complaining on an internet forum about how a field looks, my choice is pretty clear.
When i used to play in high school i loved turf mainly because its easier to play on in bad weather. I remember playing pike in either 2009 or 2010 and we had 6 straight days of rain. It turned into an absolute mud bowl. You could barely run let alone get footing to block. Wish that we had turf in that game.
Got to play against tre roberson twice on LCs turf. Man that guy was a crazy good athlete.

Reactions: purduepat1969

In ideal weather, I'm sure a lot of athletes prefer grass. Unfortunately, Purdue doesn't always play in ideal weather. That's the point of the original post.

Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT